MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Going to be raining this weekend, so now SIL will not be coming till next weekend. Was really hoping to get those raised bed boxed up but can't stop the rain and I am not going out to hold an umbrella over his head. :laughkick:Yeah, I can see that now. 

Will see if plumber, and electrician comes tomorrow. I am tired of this mess. They need to get their act together. Buy these guys some new trucks. And yes, I have oil spots all over my driveway that I have to keep putting stuff on them to soak up the oil. So, they need new trucks or to fix what they have so they don't keep breaking down.

• Like 4

I am so tired. I had a big list to help fill some holes in the pantry. I printed it out but decided to use my phone instead. Half way through the store most of the list got erased. So I had to wing it. Wal-Mart had a lot of things on the list but not everything. Giant Eagle is behind them so I stopped in there. I got the first parking space. Woo-Hoo. My lucky day. I really loaded up on some canned veggies etc. I couldn't believe my eyes. That store was so well stocked! Even the pasta aisle. I got a lot of things that I could remember from the deleted list. Remember that great parking spot I got? I didn't take into consideration that it was right next to the curb. I couldn't fit the cart next to the car door nor could I load the car without stepping on and off the curb with each bag. Lesson learned. All that glitter isn't gold. Or something like that. 

One of my turn signals was going out and one of my high beam lights was out. I just had them replaced a little over a year ago. Long story short he replaced both rear turn signal lights for free. We bonded because his mom and I share the same first name. He was a young guy and said he loves his momma. :wub:   Anyway, he couldn't do the headlight because they didn't have any in stock. He ordered one for me but who knows when it will be in. I rarely use the 'brights' anyway. He was telling me how they keep ordering parts but they can't get them in. I told him I understood. He went on to tell me how bad it was for them but with my blasted hearing, I couldn't hear it all. But he looked serious though. That was at a Valvoline oil changing place. 

Went to the ATM again. Oh, at Giant Eagle I used my Discover card and it asked me if I wanted cash back. So maybe it has to do with the store and not the card. A couple of weeks ago neither Wal-Mart nor Meijers asked me.  Gas is $4.09 up here. 

I think betadine/providone shortage is going to be the new alcohol. I couldn't find it anywhere. Will check a real drug store the next time I'm out. 

My Jeep is so loaded down I'll bet if anyone saw it they'd think I was living out of it. Or a hoarder. :whistling:  With my back It's going to take all week to unload it. Mostly heavy canned goods.  

It's Advil, a heating pad and movies the rest of the night for me. :offtobed:

• Like 5
On 3/9/2022 at 7:06 AM, kappydell said:

Now THAT is creative use of resources!  I wonder if it would keep my dogs from pressing the wrong buttons when they walk on my remote?  

My dog would see that as a chew toy and try to shred the pad!

Examples of her work!!!  :rolleyes:

1019140234-00.jpg.73d37fe2d4a7abf3e7d9daea41e4a9fa.jpg

1231189585_deathstar1jan2018.thumb.jpg.560ad52f3bce0cd839d79c59781d71a0.jpg

IMG_20211225_222236031.thumb.jpg.edc0fa700b34517299e6b2535d1f8027.jpg

IMG_20211225_222349894.thumb.jpg.14b30cf3c0f84c771ddbcb469535fdb0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
On 3/7/2022 at 1:03 AM, euphrasyne said:

DD13 and I left the baby with DH and had a girl's afternoon for the first time in years.  We went and saw the movie Dog (which had more drugs in it than I was expecting for PG13 :/ but was otherwise good.) 

Did your daughter come away wanting to get a Malanois??? Lots of dog rescues, vets offices, etc are posting memes and articles "warning" people to not run out and get a puppy of this breed just because they saw how awesome they are in the movie. They are a very tough breed to handle training and behavior wise. I sure hope that there isn't a "run" on them (mostly from backyard breeders) because they will more than likely end up surrendering them to shelters once they aren't puppies any more.

There is a movie coming out on Feb 18 called "Dog". It stars Channing Tatum and a highly trained Belgian Malinois. It's a road trip/buddy movie that I'm looking forward to myself.

However, People are going to see this film and many will want their own Belgian Malinois. This is not going to end well for this breed.
A highly trained Malinois is a work of art. So is Michelangelo's statue of David but I don't necessarily want it in my living room.

This breed can be amazing in the right hands but they require a lot of everything. If you are considering getting a Malinois, please, first go meet some Malinois of all ages at your local rescue.

Be honest with yourself about the amount of time that you have to dedicate to training one of these dogs. Not the person that you want to be but the person that you are right now. One of our rescues, Cooper is primarily this amazing breed, and he was disposed of because he was too much of a handful. They are highly energetic and super smart-which is hard to manage as a puppy and young adult if you can't devote the time and patience to training.

If you are still determined to get one. You can stem the inevitable tidal wave of Malinois that will be surrendered to the shelters by contacting your local shelter or a local Malinois rescue.

DO NOT get a Malinois from the guy down the street. Don't help backyard breeders line their pockets. Pure bred doesn't equal good breeding.

From the bottom of my heart, for the love of all dogs, those of us who rescue see what's coming and we bear the burden of choices people make on a whim regarding a breed they know little about.

So enjoy the movie. It’s Channing Tatum and a dog! How awesome is that! But please, don’t go find this breed on a whim. Any dog is a 15 yr commitment. Not a whim.

~Comments from trainer Shane Doss with some added personal remarks by our Executive Director, Shelley Wilkins. Photo courtesy of MGM. See less

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'I want 图醒游雄 A Malinois! You can' t handle A Malinois!!!!'

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Haha 1

Bro and niece, DH and I ...and my mom were all together this evening.  We ladies went to grocery shop for the trip.  No one had a list..... :buttercup:   Bro came in before we'd gone thru a fourth of the store.  :buttercup:   And of course we forgot some things.   BUT...niece ordered Bake At Home pizzas.  We had a good time with that.  A cousin called and Bro talked to her.....we'll have a Cousin Reunion while in Iowa too.  

I still need to find 2 items.  So aggravating.  I should KNOW where these are.  Tore apart another corner...cleaned, rearranged....but found nothing.  :0327:

Going to bed NOW....Day four of cleaning/sorting to find things I need/want on trip. 

MtRider :offtobed: 

• Like 3

Heh she wants an ex service dog but not a breed specific.   I've had dogs in the past but am currently dog free and like it that way.  If I was to get something else it would most likely be a German shepherd or a Huskey.  My MIL has a huge thing about chihuahuas, but I cannot stand yappy little dogs.  

We currently have 2 cats. One came from the shelter (Terry the Great) and the other followed us home as a stray on a evening walk.   Both are indoor only.  Most of my previous cats were shelter cats.  

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

My dog would see that as a chew toy and try to shred the pad!

Examples of her work!!!  :rolleyes:

1019140234-00.jpg.73d37fe2d4a7abf3e7d9daea41e4a9fa.jpg

1231189585_deathstar1jan2018.thumb.jpg.560ad52f3bce0cd839d79c59781d71a0.jpg

IMG_20211225_222236031.thumb.jpg.edc0fa700b34517299e6b2535d1f8027.jpg

IMG_20211225_222349894.thumb.jpg.14b30cf3c0f84c771ddbcb469535fdb0.jpg

UH OH.... I never thought of that.  I have several who think dismembering toys to find the squeaker is part of their job descriptions!  I only buy toys at the dollar stores as a result.

• Like 2

My DD and I are supposed to ride in the St Patty parade this weekend so last weekend I took off on Friday and focused all of my energy on shopping and organizing. I’m thankful DH just goes with it and he was offshore so he really didn’t know the extent of my plan LOL. I inventoried…made my list and jumped to it. Y’all…I’m sure I turned some heads but I didn’t care. I was on a mission. I bought cases and cases of canned goods, boxed goods….everything non-perishable, paper or dog food. The little girl at the register probably thought I had lost my mind. I made the comment it was so difficult to shop for 2 households at once…LOL I then inventoried the freezer and went back to a different place. I had not bought meat in a while and holy smokes was I in for a surprise!! Either way…I know it will only go higher so I loaded the freezer. 

The next day I bought organizers and organized all of our meds in different bins by categories as well as toiletries and cleaning products. While everyone was out doing Mardi Gras I was having my own party at home and I felt so accomplished and grateful. I now have a better idea of what holes to fill. DH came home to cases of food stacked in garage and bags piled up bc I just have not had the energy to put it away. I was waiting on him to think I’d lost my mind but he said he was glad I did it and he’s working on storage in our extra room. Our son and his GF lives a mile away and the security in knowing that we can take care of all of us is priceless. We may not have everything we need but we can make it and we have been adding to it every day….he even went out today on his own!

Sunday he is goin to go to the parade while we ride to catch all the produce to bring home. In the past we have brought 2-3 garbage bags of produce home I just need to figure out how to preserve it. 

Edited by ANewMe
  • Like 5

Hello everyone! Since I just moved I have a lot to restock, and only a small freezer right now so focusing on dry goods and canned/bottled stuff. I did bring a lot with me but it's going to take me longer than I like to get back up to a comfortable level of preps. I have been ordering a lot online, and so very thankful we sold our house in Oregon for a nice profit so I have some funds to work with (although I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel so have to be careful of my budget). Today I ordered some first aid supplies, 50 lbs cornmeal, 25 lbs split peas, 25 lbs pinto beans and I already bought 50 lbs flour and filled my shelves with a bunch of canned soups, vegis and prepared chili and beef stew, tuna, etc. I still need sugar but will get that locally. I landed in a food desert so hard to buy larger packages of some items so ordering from Costco paper goods, laundry detergent, etc to be delivered and Amazon more than I like. Picked up canning supplies to get me started, heirloom seeds and plan to start a big garden (starting seeds tomorrow). I don't think I've ever spent this much in one month but I already feel so much less stressed. 

• Like 7

I don't think "preppers" are the only ones stocking up this time 'round.  Cvid taught a lot of people something.  That's a really good thing, I think. 

Well, our clan is taking off today for IA.  Bro and Niece pack lighter.  I'm packing What If stuff for all of us.  Hopefully they'll never know what all....I pack tight...but HEAVY.  Oye.  Some stuff, hopefully, will never be unpacked.  :pray:

Prayers for all of us but especially Bro.  He carries responsibility and stuffs the rest. 

MtRider   :pray:  

• Like 6

Have a safe trip Mt. Rider. :pray:

Wow Midnightmom, your pup loves to tear its toys apart. Cute dog though. 

Becca Ann and ANewMe.  Glad to see you are getting your preps together and planting seeds. Great start on prepping.

I have been getting the kitchen back together. New shelf paper going down and getting dishes and pots and pans back in cabinet. Reorganizing everything in there this time since I had to pull everything out of bottom cabinets for them to change out the sink and counter. My grandson told me how to get pictures off phone, so as soon as I have more time I will be trying to see if it works.

My granddaughter that lives in NC now, is here dog sitting. She and her DH came by for a spell. She wanted to see how things were going. She is the one that helped pick things out. 

I am going to have a lot of work to do around here. The dust is everywhere. Got a lot out of dining room but still a lot to do. They still have to put back splash in kitchen, but that won't be as bad as taken the old countertop off and replacing it. And yes, I love the farm sink. It's huge. And the garbage disposal is great. Much better for canning than the tiny split sink was. 

It's snowing. 

• Like 4

Praying for safe travels Mt Rider!
cant wait to see this pics Little Sister and Becca I’m jealous….I would so love to do a garden.

We just got back from getting the float together. I needed a break from all the doom going on in the news. Other than shooting myself with the staple gun it was fun and now I’m glad to be doing it now…I really was not looking forward to doing it since my friend backed out. I have never seen so much produce in my life! Tons of pallets that we had to sort, load and organize onto the float. We then went and bought more stuff to throw. We decided against throwing trinkets and toys and to instead buy extra Ramen Noodles and other food items to throw. Maybe I’m being to practical but trinkets and toys just seem a waste. DH is going so he can catch stuff to bring home. 

Hope all of you are having a great weekend!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, dogmom4 said:

A New Me....you throw produce at the people watching the parade?

Yes ma,am. They throw cabbage, carrots, potato’s, onions, bananas, pineapples, oranges, lemons and other food like ramen noodles and candy and whatever else the rider thinks of. They also throw beads and toys. It’s nothing to come home with garbage bags of food. It’s so much fun but it’s a long day if your riding. We have to be at the float at 9 to leave and get in line and it’s going to be in the 20’s….parade doesn’t start until 1. It’s a huge party. I need to post a picture of all the food loaded on the float. It’s insane!

Edited by ANewMe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A New Me- Sounds fun! I didn't know about the food either seems that would be worth going for along with just the celebratory atmosphere.

Littlesister sounds like a great upgrade to your kitchen. I'm putting a farmhouse sink into my new kitchen too but it won't go in until the end of next month. I really prefer an undivided sink too.

• Like 2

Becca-Anne, you will love the farmhouse sink. that thing is huge. I also love the garbage disposal as well.  With the extension of the counters to being a bar and bringing out 12 inches at the end, increased my counter space a lot without having to change things out on the cabinets. I can now put my dehydrator on counter and still have plenty of room. 

Got the new shelf paper in bottom cabinets and got things put away yesterday and today. Washed clothes today. Didn't go to church this morning as my arm and hand is killing me. I need to find out what is going on. I have arthritis in my hands but now with the pain in my arm I am thinking either bursitis, tendinitis or maybe carpel tunnel again. I had carpel tunnel surgery back in 1989. So hard to tell. Starting to get tingling in fingers also. 

Contractors are supposed to be here in morning also. Hope they get a lot done. I am now ready for them to start demoing the main bathroom. Once they start that then the construction will be close to being done. I am ready for it to be finished. 

Going to try to work on getting pictures off phone to computer and try to get them moved to here. Hope what my grandson told me to do will work this time. 

• Like 4

Littlesister hope you can save your photos! I just plug in my phone to my computer and transfer the files as if it was an external hard drive onto my laptop, then I back that up on an external hard drive and also on the cloud so I have multiple backups. 

• Like 2

Some pictures didn't go over. Guess I was sending to many in one post. Will send more in a while. The ones above are before and during construction.  They painted the back of bookcase in den white so things would show up on it. 

• Like 1