MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Jayceef, I understand how you feel. I get a certain feeling when I see family and friends spend money, that I consider, in a frivolous way. Especially knowing that they probably only have 2 weeks of food in their pantry. And knowing they could afford much more than I can. It make me feel like not sharing with them if that times ever comes. I will but still... Primarily because I work hard to build a pantry while they play. And with the money they have, they could really fill their pantry full and not even miss the money. I try to introduce the subject in a round about way but they don't bite. The subject gets changed. But who will be the rich one in the end? Some day they may have some jealousy toward you. And who knows, maybe while they are chasing their lifestyle right now, they might really wish they were content and secure like you. :hug3:

Lol! I was thinking the same thing. My sister and her DH currently live in a bigger city in our state and were kind of freaking out when all the rioting started happening. Texting us that they wanted recommendations for what type of firearm to get etc. My sister took a class with my brother and I and could easily have gotten her concealed carry permit, but never went through with it. Now they have no intention of getting any personal protection. Which is fine, but gees you are right it's hard because I know I will be taking care of them when everything hits. They are going to be buying a much larger camper to live in while staying at her in laws til her new house gets built. They will have to commute at least 1hr. 20minutes one way to work while staying with the in laws. Yikes! I thought my 50 minute commute was bad. 

I think I'm also just irritated that she told me they couldn't afford to take our sibling trip to Romania in the fall of 2022, but are now going to both Mexico and Vegas this year:mad: Which I also don't get after they decided to build a half a million dollar house, but that is not my business.  

Although I will say Romania probably isn't a good idea this year anyways! Thanks for letting me vent. I feel like this is a safe place. Can't talk about any of this stuff with anyone. No one gets it! 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Dear Debbie  I mean Mommato3boys  :D 

I've scrubbed toilets and I've worked retail. Both sucked but I got the job done. We do what we have to do. I was listening to a guy today talking about prepper burnout. Mostly about how sometimes we become so focused on one thing (prepping and fear) that we lose our joy. 

I'll post his link because I think it could help all of us at one time or another on our journey. Just listen to the first 2:40. The rest of his show talks about prepping and is interesting. But then message I'm referring to is in those first couple of minutes.  :hug3:

Inflation, Food Shortages, and Rationing ARE HERE! - YouTube

Umm... I love this guy! I listen to him every morning on my way to work. I hadn't listened to that episode yet. Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 2

I had to go to Wal-Mart this evening. I had bought a food storage container and I didn't notice that one of latches was broken off. I didn't have my receipt so I half expected a hassle. He asked if I paid by credit card. I did. So I put the card in the machine and there was the purchase. Easy Peasy. I got an exchange. 

They had some of that Keystone canned beef. I got two to add to my other four. That stuff is expensive but what meat isn't these days. I don't really like the idea of canned food for long term storage. I think glass jars would last longer. I wonder...when they get close to expiration, and I haven't used them, if they could be home canned? Just thinking out loud. 

I went through the self check out line again. I used the Discover card this time to see if it would ask me if I wanted cash back. It didn't. There goes my plan to get cash from my credit cards. It is very daunting to look up and see Jeepers staring back at me on the little camera. She could use a haircut.

I swung by the ATM and it's finally working. 

Gas here is $3.79. I happened to drive past a Get-Go station (Giant Eagle) and their gas was $3.54. Of course I had just topped off my tank yesterday with that $3.75 gas. And all of my empty cans are in Indiana. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

DD13 and I left the baby with DH and had a girl's afternoon for the first time in years.  We went and saw the movie Dog (which had more drugs in it than I was expecting for PG13 :/ but was otherwise good.)  Then we went to Panara for a late lunch.   Cheddar broccoli soup for me and a turkey bravo sandwich for her. I got her a chocolate croissant for dessert. mmmm.  10/10 as per kid.   

Afterwards we went to Michael's so she could get a new sketchbook.  Half the isles were empty and they stopped carrying almost everything I was interested in.  It was horrible.  Half the store was cricut vinal or ribbon.  The other half was basically home decor/art supplies.  There were almost no stickers and only a 4ft section of scrapbook stuff and about 3ft of mostly empty planner shelf.  I've been into planners and papercrafting for over 30 years.  This made me quite sad.   

Gas is up to over $4 at the gas station at the end of our neighborhood.  

• Like 5

Its a small victory, but a sweet one.  Marys high school BFF back up is Wisconsin is finally stocking up.  They have been getting hints from her for years to "put a few things by, just in case".  Last summer she is the one we took a huge cooler of meat to, because we couild get it at a reasonable price and where she was, it was several times as expensive, and nowhere near the quality.  Tonight when Mary asked her how the meat was holding out, she said "I've been rationing that" and went on to say they were stocking up on other nonperishable foodstuffs "nothing drastic, just bit by bit".  That was how Mary told her we had done it, bit by bit over time, to build up a food security pantry (friend does not like the P word, it makes her think of "scary" things).  They are even going (as far as) buying a generator and fuel in case of power outages.  For her that is a MAJOR step, so we are happy they finally took the plunge.  Frankly we dont care what you call it, as long as you DO it.

I suffered a slight case of sticker shock at the pharmacy today.  Went to pick up eye drops, and one of them cost me $50 (that was the co pay) for an infinitesimal bottle.  Then in the mail yesterday my annual letter stating they were not going to cover one of my meds that I pay a huge co-pay on (ranges between 40 and 80 dollars for 30 days) because the ones in their formulary have bad side effects.  So tomorrow I will be calling my doctor to call them and explain why I need them to cover this.  Without insurance its almost $500 per month (!!!) They have been covering it but I have to go thru this annually.  Its beginning to get mje down.  Soon I will not be able to afford my meds even with insurance (and mine is far better than most).  Im already using generics wherever I can, and splitting pills, and all the other tricks to get the price down to a reasonable level.  ARRRRGH!  At this rate  i WILL have to choose between food and medicine. Or declare my homestead "clothing optional". We can always claim we are training for  the TV show "Naked & Afraid"  :faint3:

The garden is tilled, fertilized  and ready to plant as soon as this next round of week long rain storms passes.  Today I cut up 12 quarts of meat chunks in older cuts of frozen meat to can up.  It takes me longer than it used to, but it is so good to know I can just open a canm, thicken up the broth and serve over whatever else I have around.  

I am dehydrating a full dehydrator of parsley after moving one keeper to the large pots I am putting me herbs in.  The sqge and marjoram are thriving there too.  Collard greens will be dehydrated as well.  And I have 5 cabbages to "use up" from the garden clean up. 

We laid out our drip irrigation system yesterday, Mary set it up today, so we are good to go gardenwise.  I also picked up two trash cans to compost in at the local Ollie's thrift store ($10) so after the canning and dehydrating I will set up the composters too.  Plenty to keep us busy here increasing our self sufficiency quotient.  :americanflag:   

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
On 3/6/2022 at 4:16 AM, Mt_Rider said:

itʻs gonna be a bit disorganized until our trip to Iowa is finished.  Hope to see friends and cousins tho.

I'm from Iowa and most of the family stayed there. Me thinks that spring planting will be mid-April for the farmers. Hybrid seeds have changed so much over the decades that they don't have to tear up the fields to gain an extra week of planting season.

God-speed!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

DD13 and I left the baby with DH and had a girl's afternoon for the first time in years.  We went and saw the movie Dog (which had more drugs in it than I was expecting for PG13 :/ but was otherwise good.)  Then we went to Panara for a late lunch.   Cheddar broccoli soup for me and a turkey bravo sandwich for her. I got her a chocolate croissant for dessert. mmmm.  10/10 as per kid.   

Afterwards we went to Michael's so she could get a new sketchbook.  Half the isles were empty and they stopped carrying almost everything I was interested in.  It was horrible.  Half the store was cricut vinal or ribbon.  The other half was basically home decor/art supplies.  There were almost no stickers and only a 4ft section of scrapbook stuff and about 3ft of mostly empty planner shelf.  I've been into planners and papercrafting for over 30 years.  This made me quite sad.   

Gas is up to over $4 at the gas station at the end of our neighborhood.  

Would you be interested in a bunch of Happy Planner stickers and such?  As it turns out, I’m doing good to write in a planner.  Forget about making it all pretty!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

Cheddar broccoli soup for me    

I love that soup. Most stores carry that now. I usually have a container or two in the fridge. 

17 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

Afterwards we went to Michael's  

I haven't been to Michaels in quite awhile. Time to check it out to see if its as bad as yours.

It's on the way to Hobby Lobby that I've been meaning to stop in.  -5 Below is right there too. I was in there one time and wasn't impressed but a friend of mine bought some wireless ear buds from there and said they worked. I don't know, but I've wanted to try some for the longest. I'm so tired of listening to stuff on the computer at night only to wake up in a tangle mess of wires. Or to start off toward the bathroom in the middle of the night only to be jerked back by the tether. Or fighting the cord from strangulation as I roll over in the bed. I like to listen to audio books through the computer. It's amazing how headset wires can knot themselves up. I've wondered how I can lay them neatly on the bed one minute and the next thing I know they are tangled and even knotted up. I really think I need wireless in my life. Assuming I can figure out how to initiate them to the computer. If all else fails Best Buy is two doors down and I have a $10.00 off credit. Maybe I should go there instead? Decisions decisions...

• Like 3

Today I canned a canner full of meat, and helped Mary unload another load of a topsoil-compost mix.  We are both still waiting to retrieve our energy post covid, but we managed to get everything done before the rain came in this evening.  I called Lowes and got a refund on missing copper tape.  I will re-order.

20220107_112517_resized.thumb.jpg.4803337f7dc330068cf74511abd180c9.jpg

This morning I watched this kitty climb the wrong side of the ladder to check out a bird in the tree.  She is no dummy....

1286135347_20220307_152456_resized(1).thumb.jpg.f55b07140d71bd8dbc9c47df2cfe955f.jpg

Drip irrigation system laid out & hooked up

20220304_143309_resized.thumb.jpg.3de5b6742cfd352817b8dcac77db88d5.jpg 

Copper anti-slug tape on sides of raised beds.

20220304_143317_resized.thumb.jpg.098ac8ef3a2c11935b5bab3a32386a1d.jpgOff loading what turned into 7 scoops of dirt-compost mix.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 7

I get so excited, Kappy,  to see what you and C. Mary do with your gardens.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:   Cute kitty!  

I spent energy and time today packing.  Smaller suitcases and some misc. bags.  Not sure what weather we'll experience.  Through a week in midwest in March.....could be all of it!   B)    :frozen:   :knary:      

And, unfortunately,  central Iowa had a nasty F4 tornado yesterday.  :(   A visiting family from Missouri lost 2 children and husband and the wife's mom.  Only wife and a young son survived.  Horrible!  One of my life-long friends had some house damage and they were in the basement...that close to them.               :twister3::behindsofa:        [ I think I remember why I don't like Iowa weather....tooooo many nights in the dirt floor - stone walled basement...sitting on crockery and hoping the house is there when it's over.  ]  I think they're going frigid cold now.  

OTOH....I'm hearing the Iowa cousins are excited to gather and meet us as we're heading back home.  Another friend of family will meet us a bit further down I-80. 

I didn't know you were from Iowa too, Homesteader.  :AmishMichaelstraw:   I've been back only a few times in the past 50 yrs or so.  All changed.  Weird. 

Need my bed....times running out. 

MtRider  :offtobed:    ....I'm getting fond of this particular smilie! 

• Like 3

I always like looking at your garden and seeing what you and Mary are doing, Kappy.

Don't forget to pack extra socks Mt. Rider. For cold, water or extra padding. A vacuum sealer is good for clothing protection plus helps condense the size down in the suitcase. 

I have two dehydrators going now. The Excaliber and a Nesco. One does as well as the other but the Excaliber is just bigger and easier to unload and has a timer. The mixed veggies are done. I did way too much so I divided the rest into a half gallon jar of beef veg. soup mix and one of chicken veg. soup mix using bouillon powder. Now I have a load of peas and a load of corn going. Carrots will be next. I got the onions in two quart jars. But to be honest, I bought them already done. Not going to skink up the closed up house right now when I don't have to.  

I don't know if it's considered cheating to use frozen vegetables or not. :shrug: I don't think my family will mind if they are hungry. 

The dehydrated foods will probably out live me. Thats a good thing though. They will be in my long term storage emergency prep area. Will be mindful that they will require extra water storage too.  

• Like 5

The current edition of are you faster than a toddler:  Nope.   And someone left the baby gate open so she got up all 15 stairs, all the way down the hall, down the 2 steps into my bedroom and up 2 steps into my bathroom before I caught her.  The only thing allowing me a small break is her willingness to sit in a box full of pillows and watch Backyardigans.

I did Franklin Covey back in the day, day runner, traveler's notebook, leather journals.   Recollections, Erin Condren, and currently yes the Happy Planner.   I may have a small addiction.

20220308_070622.jpg

20220308_070604.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Kappy, love the garden. Wish I could have one that bit. But am working on it. SIL is coming into town this Sat. Didn't think they were coming but he is having to check on his parents. Seems car broke down and his dad messed something up on insurance and he has to see what he has done. His dad has dementia, and his mother doesn't want to do anything but sit around and watch TV all day. They need to go into assistant living. But he needs to get things together to do that.  But He is going to put my raised beds together for me. Then I can start my garden.  Going to plow up the older area that we used to use when DH was still alive. Can't use the back part much because of the shade but I can use half of that area. And I still have the flower beds to use as well. Trying to increase the garden this year. 

Euphrasye, you really have your craft and office area under control. Love it. I will be working on that after all the construction is done. Can't wait to get all my craft and sewing stuff back out of boxes and put in its proper place. 

They are coming to put kitchen together tomorrow. The sink is in but not hooked up. They will be putting the new countertop in tomorrow and hook up sink. hoping they are going to get the back splash up as well tomorrow. I really need my kitchen back. They should be able to finish the small bathroom tomorrow as well. Not much left to do. Just don't know it the shower door is in or not. 

Went to Food Lion this morning and it was busy. Frozen food all but wiped out. Plenty of beef and pork, but low on chicken.  They have moved all the cleaning products to another isle, and it is much less than it used to be. So, looking like laundry detergent, etc. will be in short supply before long. I wanted to check out some other stores to see how things were going but gas is now over $4.00, so decided not to go any further. Got a few things and came home. 

Mt. Rider stay safe on your trip. Enjoy your time with your cousins. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

LOL Euphrasyne. Maybe you should take up journaling in your spare time.  Got Washi?  :24:

Your house always looks so nice and put together. I'd suggest thinking about becoming a decorator but I don't want to start anything.  :grinning-smiley-044: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Second day sorting/packing.  Most of it was getting the daily meds/herbal/mineral/etc. sorted.  Then the What If Someone Gets Sick meds and supplements.  Bro and I emailing back and forth.  MO friend email and calling.  We're all keeping an eye on the weather.  Loopy Jet Stream again....plunging the midwest into the deep freeze about the time we're traveling that way.  I think a bit of snow for CO will be timed okay.... :unsure:   We were having sunny/60* for long enough to melt most snow.  :sigh:  Well, it will return...at some point.

Found long plastic bag to cover long dress while traveling.  Sleeping bag...yeah, it was in the car for the season.  It's Bring Your Own Bedding too.  We'll sleep while Bro drives.  Hopefully.  I haven't been anywhere in so long, it's taken time to FIND and pack.  Still looking for a few things but can't remember what they are.  Need to look at my notebook....see how well I've done so far.  Cross things off and continue with what I haven't remembered....or haven't found yet. 

I'm  SO tired.  Was washing.....oops, need to go check the dryer on my down coat.  May have to give it another go 'round.  Not sure I'll make the stairs tho.  Not going anywhere tomorrow yet....  It can wait.  :clothesline:

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 2

Mt. Rider, all will be just fine. You will get it all together.

I am waiting on counter guy and contractors. With my luck they will show up at 9:30 again. 

So just sitting here drinking coffee. Need to eat breakfast so I can take B/P med. I hate having to take meds. But have to wait 30 minutes before I can eat after taken my Synthroid. Should have taken that as soon as I got up but started doing somethings around house before contractors got here. Never know what time they will show up. Need to get the shelf liner ordered. Stores are in such short supply; I can't get enough to do all the cabinets. So will be ordering it. 

• Like 2

Heh.  Thanks.  Most of my house looks like a bomb went off.  I've given up trying to keep areas organized where the family uses.  My office, closet, nursery, and pantry only I really use so they stay organized.  I'm pretty OCD.  

Last night we lost the remote for the fire stick and could not find it so I downloaded an app for my phone and it worked.  We did eventually find the remote later.

This morning I was thinking about being OCD and preferring a certain number of items ie 36 cans of soup are better than 25 cause that is 3 flats of 12.  I started thinking about what being prepared meant to me.   I started thinking that only prepping for the apocalypse (no power, food, etc.) was a poor use of prepping because that is only one scenario.   Downloading the firestick app was a good use of resources.   I think prepping for me should be more like using available resources to achieve goals in any given situation.  Its about thinking creatively and stocking resources that can multitask.  

• Like 6

Have to cut up veggies and ham to go in 3# of great northern beans.
Cook beans.
Cut cheese for dog treats.
Walk myself and then walk dogs.
Clean baths.
Dust house.
Prayer meeting at 6:30 pm.

51 minutes ago, euphrasyne said:

I think prepping for me should be more like using available resources to achieve goals in any given situation.  Its about thinking creatively and stocking resources that can multitask. 

I sure agree with that!

10 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I haven't been anywhere in so long, it's taken time to FIND and pack.

I remember packing to take the bus to Darlene's.  I packed so that if I had to, I could walk back.  It was a full back pack!  I believe I could have made it, though!

• Like 5

I'm right there with you on OCD. I really understand that one. Every thing I buy has to be in multiple of 2's. I've stood and debated with myself on trying to buy 3 or 5 of something. I can't do it. It's a waste of my time trying. 

Also I'm behind on downloading helpful apps to help make my life easier. I'm always afraid I either won't get it figured out or else I'll mess everything up. D-ex used to tell me there is no way I can mess up the computer. Not true. I've spent days with the Geek Squad. It's to the point where I have to buy all my computers at Best Buy just because of the Geek Squad.

I've messed up my TV so many times. Son has to come fix it. You should see my TV remote. I have panty liners taped all around it with the only the power button sticking out so I don't accidently touch another button. Son won't touch it.  :008Laughing:

1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Now THAT is creative use of resources!  I wonder if it would keep my dogs from pressing the wrong buttons when they walk on my remote?  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Still waiting on the cabinet guy and contractor. Owner called and said they would be here at 10 am.  Well, I have heard that story before and they never show up. They best get on the stick and get this job done. It has been since Jan., and they should have been further alone than this. I am really getting over all this dust and not fully finishing one thing before moving on to another. Plus, he has extended his workers on too many projects at one time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
11 minutes ago, kappydell said:

Now THAT is creative use of resources!  I wonder if it would keep my dogs from pressing the wrong buttons when they walk on my remote?  

Sure. You might have to use some thicker maxi pads though. Way thicker.  :D

I also have two of them stuck to my window blind in the bathroom. There is a pin hole the pads have been covering them up for about 2-3 years now.  

Jeepers...Wonder why I'm not married yet.

Jeepers Son... Oh, I think we know mom. I think we know. :sigh:

2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Everything has a use. If it works, do it.

Countertops are now in. I now have a usable bar. I had the counters extended 12 inches out on den side and at the end of the bar. I can get 4 bar stools around it. Much better than a table in a small kitchen. Gives me much more room. Now to find a small island for kitchen to work at. Something on wheels that I can move out of way when not in use would be great. 

Waiting on plumber and carpenter to come back to hook everything up and finish the small bathroom. Kitchen still needs to have the backsplash up and the owner can't find the tiles. Wanted to know if they were here. Well, I wouldn't know for all the trash and the old countertop all out in garage on top of everything. So, he can figure it out. Got the bar stools around the bar, but still can't use them till SIL comes this weekend to put them together properly. Not sure if I will buy from Wayfair again after this mess. But I did finally get the screw kit so they can be redone. Wonder what happened to the guy that was supposed to put the stools together and passed the job on to a friend that did not work for Wayfair. 

Getting a little out of living room here and there. At least I can see a floor now. 

• Like 3

Well, here we go again. Truck broke down again. So, no one coming today. I am so over this. Now I have to wait till tomorrow for the kitchen sink and stove to get hooked up and to finish up in the bathroom. Seems the truck blew an engine. Those trucks are old, and he needs to replace 3 or 4 of them due to issues. Can't say I blame him for not wanting to buy new trucks right now, but this is not getting the jobs done for people. Some of the things here should have already been finished weeks ago. But nothing I can do about it. They do great work; it's just getting them here to get things moving a bit faster.

Going to try to go through some more books later today. Need to find more boxes to pack them in to carry to the goodwill. Will also try to do a bit of dusting where I can now that some of the stuff is out of living room. Might try to bring the love seat into the den. I am tired of sitting in a kitchen chair to do things. Need something a bit more comfortable to sit on while watching tv or reading. 

• Like 2