MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I've been having a problem finding whole wheat flour for a reasonable price.  I made an order from Amazon fresh because they had whole wheat flour for 2.29 for 5#.  So I ordered 6 bags.  Filled the rest of the order with a few needed items like heavy cream, apple juice, diapers, water chestnuts (.89 ea) etc.  I ordered it about 9am and it was here by 2p.   I tipped the driver, but the delivery etc was free since I ordered over $35.   I'd say it was worth it not to deal with gas and getting the baby out of the house.  Also the cheapest i've found whole wheat flour elsewhere was 5.99 for 5# so definitely worth it.  

While I was bringing the bags in, the cat got out.  While I was chasing down the cat, the baby got loose in the house.  Apparently the cat water fountain is a hand washing station now.  Today I got in my cardio.  

• Haha 10

I've found that to be the case many times too Euphrasyne. Alot of things are delivered the same day now. With the price of gas and my time, it's well worth it. And sometimes I just don't want to get dressed and go out shopping. Sometimes I still find it amazing how fast things get delivered. I remember when everything you ordered (before computers) always said "allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery). 

At least the short one used the cats water fountain to wash her little paws. She could have thought it was a bidet. :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I went to check some things out today. The grocery departments are starting to look thin again. I went to Wal-Mart. I always drive in the back way because the access road is the closest to me. It's sort of a strange set up at that store with two roads going in. A front and back entrance. There was one truck in the unloading bay and another one waiting. That was a good sign. I used the self check out and I noticed in the upper right hand corner they have a little camera recording you as you use the scanner. I always figured I was being recorded, but it's one of those where if you look at it, you can see yourself. That was new to me. And creepy.

I went to Meijers and they had a lot of merchandise in the aisle. They have a long wide aisle that sort of separates the grocery section from the other part of the store. That aisle is loaded with food and drink yet some of the shelves sit empty. Freezer cases are getting low again. Looks like they finally got their supply of Thanksgiving turkeys in.  :grinning-smiley-044:  A big freezer case full of them. If they just had the breasts I would have bought 1-2 to can up. I'm not a fan of turkey but would can some of the cooked shredded breast meat. Son's would like it. They had single pint canning jars for sale. If I remember correctly they were $2.19 a jar. That would be $26.28 for a case of regular mouth Ball canning jars. No thanks

I topped off my gas tank again. I'm going to keep doing that when it gets down to 3/4 of a tank. It was just a tad over 1/4 tank used and it still cost me $30.00 to top it off. It was $3.75 at the station. Meijers gas is usually cheaper but it was $3.79 and so was another station I passed by. 

I went to the ATM again tonight and it was still empty of cash. I went over to my banks ATM and got cash out. I really hate going to that ATM because you have to drive around to the back of the building and it is dark and secluded back there. Also once you pull in the lane you are stuck in there with no way out but to pull forward. If someone blocks that...  

I used my Master card at both Wal-Mart and Meijers and neither store asked me if I wanted cash back. Humm. They always did. I'll try the Discover card the next time. Cash seems to be a little bit harder to come by up here. Might be prudent to save the cash back and use a credit card instead. I don't want to run low on, or dip into, stored up cash here at the house in the future.  :shrug: 

Every time I get in the car I get thirsty. Pavlov's dog sort of thing I guess. So I drove thru McDonalds for a sweet tea. Lawsy, it was better than I remembered. She gave me my tea and said that they accidently poured out two and would I like the other one for free? Well golly Bob howdy, would I ever!  It's those little things ya know...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Today we picked up Duke's ashes and brought him home.  We reminisced about him, and a few tears were shed.  But we agreed we did the right thing, not letting him suffer.

Today I cut up 5 loaves of bread to dry for crumbs.  When I cleared out some older meat to can up from the freezer I discovered that 2 packages of bread had started rising when the freezers were off a short time.  Ugh, all the loaves had run together...so I baked bread - 10 loaves worth.  One brand tasted better than the other, so I cut up the less tasty ones to dry out.  We had enough room in our freezer after I sorted thru only one of them, so I will have to do more canning in a bit to clear out the older stuff in the others if we cant eat it fast enough.

We got some more dirt for the garden, so tomorrow I will help Mary put it in.  We also picked up some vegetables at the same garden center - 6 each of cabbage, romaine lettuce, collards, broccoli and tomatoes.  We are clearing out the winter stuff and putting in the summer stuff now. Cabbage was a fair yield, broccoli did not do much, the kale was stunted, but collards were good and mustard greens were enormous.  For this spring,  I have ordered  walking onions and garlic.  IDK when they will arrive...the place that sells them is under staffed yet. 

I am still trying to get FEDEX to find my 6 rolls of copper anti-slug tape that they say they delivered Feb 27 but never came.  Is copper so sought after that someone would pilfer it?  Hope not.  I hope it was an error that ocurred because a box was delivered with 2 rolls in itl (I ordered twice) that the computer thought it was ALL delivered. 

FEDEX is "investigating" and says they will get back to me.  IDK how or when.  Hope it is soon because I need that stuff to keep slugs out of the garden.

Oh well.  tomorrow is another day. We will probably plant the new plants once we get the dirt replenished, except for the tomatoes, which we will put in the greenhouse for a bit until it warms up a little more.  We bought them today though because they disappear around here very fast, and it is worse since the drums of war are sounding, making folks nervous.  The country folks in our neighborhood like to ensure their food supply with their own hands, so gardens have expanded and from all the crowing I hear one more neighbor has a new flock of chickens.  Noisy little critters.  Then when the cooler full of stuff from the freezer is thawed I will cook & can it.  Its a hodgepodge of steaks, chicken and pork loin pieces.  The only thing I wont can is the cheese bratwurst.  Its too spicy for Marys stomach to handle.  Im not canning anything we both cant enjoy.  If the dogs dont like it its compost.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

If I remember correctly they were $2.19 a jar.

Wow!

topped off my gas tank again.

I did that too.  Not even down to 3/4 tank and still over $18.

I went over to my banks ATM and got cash out.

It looked like a bank run at my bank, yesterday!  One of them had a line completely around inside and people in line outside plus drive thru's were all 4 deep.  At the bank I did go to, Line completely around inside and to door.  Drive thru's full there too.

Today, I've already contacted power company because a payment never posted and is showing due (again).  I have a confirmation #, so I'm good.  Just have to wait for them to fix it.

Next, I will cut up carrots, cheese for dog treats and sweet potatoes to make dog treats.

Already washing dog blankets and will put flea meds on soon.

Walk dogs (maybe me- still not quite up to par.)

Make meatloaf this afternoon and maybe, PC some burger.

I sure hope that's it!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

t looked like a bank run at my bank, yesterday!

I had that with our credit union, too. Aldi was busy (three checkout clerks), which means shelves weren't being restocked. I don't shop Wally World. Had to wait for a gas pump at the cheapest station yesterday. I also realized that it's the first of the month and many families may have just received assistance checks. Don't panic, just keep to your plan.  :thumbs:

• Like 6

Wow Miki. Not a pleasant sight to see. I've never seen that here but to be fair, I do most of my errands at night. I've never experienced an ATM out of money for at least two days in a row either. I can't go again until after 11:30pm tonight. Probably not going to happen tonight. 

Every one in the prepper communities, including this one, says to take out extra cash to keep at home. I guess people are heeding the warning. At least the newbies who are just starting to prepare are. I hope.

You work so hard. Hope you have a restful weekend.  :hug3:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I keep getting a pop up saying Sorry there was a problem reacting to this content. Never saw that before. Maybe I am hitting something wrong. 

Busy day today.  They finished putting up the shiplap on the one wall, that is a feature wall. Bathroom almost done but can now use it. So, after everyone left, I have been cleaning up dusting and mopping. Kitchen sink is in but not hooked up yet. They did the temp plate for the countertops. Still has to do the fireplace. He is working on the plans. Chimney guy came by and hooked up the bird cage that fell over on the small chimney. So that is done. Things are starting to move. But the dust is really bad. And my daughter reminded me about the pollen. I have sawdust and cement dust. I don't need green dust. Guess as bad as I want to open up the house and air it out, I will have to keep windows closed when the pollen starts. It's bad around here. 

I don't like eating out, but I am now without a kitchen for a few days. Hope the counters come in quick. I did have a coupon for Subway though. $12 for 2-foot-long subs. For me that is 4 meals. So, I did that. Don't need to be spending any more money than I have to. Need to put the shelve paper on shelves in the new linen closet. That is going to be a life saver in that cracker box of a bathroom. That closet alone will make a big difference. 

And I agree with Jeepers.  Miki you are one busy lady. Wish I had your engery.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

I keep getting a pop up saying Sorry there was a problem reacting to this content. Never saw that before. Maybe I am hitting something wrong. 

I have been getting a notice saying the site is unavailable, try again later. Took me four times to get in.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
48 minutes ago, Mother said:

I have been getting a notice saying the site is unavailable, try again later. Took me four times to get in.

Possibly being blocked?  IDK..  need to check into it. With all the censorship going on in the world….

Do you use a VPN?

8 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

Do you use a VPN?

No I don’t but I also don’t have my location turned on.  Being LS had some trouble I thought perhaps just a glitch.  I have not had trouble since the afternoon.  Like you I wouldn’t put it past there being some censorship going on.  We have been a bit more ,,,,um,,,, outspoken lately.  

But I have been trying to be real good lately!  Haven’t I? :laughkick:

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I got a pop up the other day saying the site was not safe or something like that, and wouldn't let me in. I waited for awhile and it was fine again. Another time it said it was unsafe and asked me if I wanted to take a chance and continue on anyway. I did and all has been well so far. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Good morning!
Very light day, I think.
Will walk soon.
Put away the pressure canned meat.
Write some ebay drafts.
Start some muscadines.
Order cheese cultures and rennet.

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 3

I’ve been trying to be good too, Mother.  Gave myself a “time out” from the net…..  locked up my tablet & worked on the house, garden, yard, and book work….  

Oh dear…. All the, old (years old) zucchini seeds sprouted!  I’ve been transplanting them….  I’ve never had that happen before.  Even last year, when I planted the same seeds, out of a dozen, I got 2 plants, that didn’t produce anything.

The old carrot, cayenne, jalapeño, broccoli and cauliflower seeds, nothing has sprouted in a month.  The seeds I saved from the hatch chilies are sprouting.  I will need to transplant a couple of those, when they get bigger, if they survive.

We’ve been in the mid 80’s.  Yesterday, harsh winds and the temp dropped again.

Time to go clean up all the debris from the wind…..

• Like 6

It is looking like SIL will not be coming down anytime soon. Daughter is keeping him very busy painting their house and now she has 4 opossums as she does the wildlife recovery thing. She had a meeting today and also had to work overtime. Also seems GD and her DH will be living with them for a long, long time. She decided to start PA school in N. Carolina instead of S. Carolina where they wanted to move to. So, at this rate they will not be buying a house anytime soon. But then the price of housing has gone way up. 

I have been busy cleaning up dust, washing windows, hanging blinds, washing clothes and getting the small bathroom ready to use as they are kicking me out of the main bathroom next week, I think. So, the sooner they get it started the sooner they will be done. Glad I got all that wood stacked and covered as I think we are going to have rain soon. That ended up being a good 1 and 1/2 cords of wood. But since they haven't started the wood stove yet, I may not get to use it till next winter. Either way I am set to go. Didn't think I would be able to get the brackets for blinds up, but with painful hands and also shaky hands, I got them up. Don't want to put them up on bedroom windows till they finish painting them. Windows in bedroom and touch up paint is all that is left in there. But still has electrical and towel and toilet paper holder to put in. But I can use that bathroom now.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Also seems GD and her DH will be living with them for a long, long time. She decided to start PA school in N. Carolina instead of S. Carolina where they wanted to move to. So, at this rate they will not be buying a house anytime soon. But then the price of housing has gone way up. 

Better at her house than at yours.  :wink(2):

• Like 4

Jeepers, you don't know how right you are about that. I couldn't afford them, with taken meat of freezer, putting it in fridge to cook for the week and then throwing it away instead of eating it. Not to mention the other waste around here. Guess I am too conservative in trying to save money than they are.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
On 3/4/2022 at 2:48 AM, kappydell said:

Is copper so sought after that someone would pilfer it? 

Answer:  yes!  My brother says they have to watch their job sites....thieves have been stripping out the plumbing in the new constructions - before the buildings are finished. 

Sure hope youʻre feeling completely restored soon, Miki.  If not...check it out.   

Yeah, Iʻm going to message my doc.....this dry, strong cough is not going away.  Might be due to whichever new med is also giving me dry mouth.  :shrug:  But probably canʻt do anything til we get back from Iowa.  I began two new meds at the same time.  :sigh:  Until then....Ricola is always in my pocket!!  People DO look at you like youʻre in violation if you cough in public.   :behindsofa: 

Annarchy....good luck with your garden this year.  Iʻll give a report on progress thru Neb and Iowa fields.  Not sure it itʻs dried out for initial plowing yet?  Got used to CO winter which extends thru April and possibly May.  But this winter has been quite marvelous.  Regular snow followed by WARM weather to melt it.  :amen:   Iʻve been frequently on porch with shorts and tank top at 2pm for the free Vit D !!! 

As for these "warnings" about dangerous sites.....  :tapfoot:   I have to click the YES I WANT TO GET INTO THE SITE.....for my church prayer request site WHICH I RUN.  <_<   Censorship via bots.  Dumb bitty things canʻt even think and they turn them loose on the Internet?  Fumigation is needed, methinks!  

I am up til 3AM right now.  Not advisable.  Been a long day with horse ride and eat out for late lunch with DH and mom.  Then 3 loads of clothes....up and down our 15 exterior steps.  AND walked the HappyDog!  I should be asleep already!! 

MtRider  ....itʻs gonna be a bit disorganized until our trip to Iowa is finished.  Hope to see friends and cousins tho.  :offtobed: 

• Like 3

Will visit another Church this morning.
Come home and walk dogs.
Start the muscadines that I didn't get to the other day.
Write a couple of eBay drafts and take photos.
Watch a movie with DH.

3 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

ure hope youʻre feeling completely restored soon, Miki.

I'm good today.  Got 2 nights of over 7 hours sleep which seemed to do the trick!  Thanks!

Praying for you @Mt_Rider

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m trying not to freak out over current events. To just keep prepping and take care of my family. I need to clean my house and make room for some more food storage. I am also worried about my younger sister. She and her DH sold their house and are building a house in the same town I live in. Which is great, but it is going to cost half a million dollars and they will have to commute to work. They are not doctors, but do make fairly good money. It just makes me nervous for them. Plus their weekend trips are what my family would consider a big yearly family trip, so I think they spend a lot of money. Maybe I’m just having a midlife crisis and am a little jealous as we don’t live that way. I just need to chill out! Kind of hard with the way things are right now though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Avoiding the news...keeping my head down and looking for a better paying job. Have stuck with this place through everything the past two years but, I am officially burned out and tired of being used and abused. So, I am on the hunt. I like my job, but Wal-Mart is starting their employees out making $5 more an hour than I am making. $5 more an hour to do other people's shopping. If they had better insurance, I would apply there in a heartbeat. Although, I detest shopping, I had rather scrub toilets than shop, still it is $5 more an hour. Plus, you get (or used when the kids worked there) a discount when you shop at WM. Sorry to be Debbie-Downer. Like I said just burned out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
18 minutes ago, mommato3boys said:

Avoiding the news...keeping my head down and looking for a better paying job. Have stuck with this place through everything the past two years but, I am officially burned out and tired of being used and abused. So, I am on the hunt. I like my job, but Wal-Mart is starting their employees out making $5 more an hour than I am making. $5 more an hour to do other people's shopping. If they had better insurance, I would apply there in a heartbeat. Although, I detest shopping, I had rather scrub toilets than shop, still it is $5 more an hour. Plus, you get (or used when the kids worked there) a discount when you shop at WM. Sorry to be Debbie-Downer. Like I said just burned out.

It's so hard with jobs. I don't know where you work, but I have stuck my job out for far longer than I should have. It has paid off, but I probably would have been much further off if I had gone to work in the private sector years ago. I finally got a 9-5 weekends/holidays off spot about five years ago. And then a good promotion September of 2019. I don't have any advice accept keep your eyes and ears open. Everyone lands where they are supposed to be eventually. Hugs to you:hug3: 

• Like 4

Jayceef, I understand how you feel. I get a certain feeling when I see family and friends spend money, that I consider, in a frivolous way. Especially knowing that they probably only have 2 weeks of food in their pantry. And knowing they could afford much more than I can. It make me feel like not sharing with them if that times ever comes. I will but still... Primarily because I work hard to build a pantry while they play. And with the money they have, they could really fill their pantry full and not even miss the money. I try to introduce the subject in a round about way but they don't bite. The subject gets changed. But who will be the rich one in the end? Some day they may have some jealousy toward you. And who knows, maybe while they are chasing their lifestyle right now, they might really wish they were content and secure like you. :hug3:

• Like 3

Dear Debbie  I mean Mommato3boys  :D 

I've scrubbed toilets and I've worked retail. Both sucked but I got the job done. We do what we have to do. I was listening to a guy today talking about prepper burnout. Mostly about how sometimes we become so focused on one thing (prepping and fear) that we lose our joy. 

I'll post his link because I think it could help all of us at one time or another on our journey. Just listen to the first 2:40. The rest of his show talks about prepping and is interesting. But the message I'm referring to is in those first couple of minutes.  :hug3:

Inflation, Food Shortages, and Rationing ARE HERE! - YouTube

Edited by Jeepers
Spellin'
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What is that saying about the grasshopper and the ant. 

I think we are the ants preparing for hard times while the grasshoppers plays around and does nothing till it is to late. 

I retired back in 2014.  The doctor I worked for retired, so I just decided I needed to be home with DH and never looked back. Retired early and didn't miss the money. I know though how hard it is to find a good paying job. 

Mommato3boys, I do hope you find a good job that pays better and that you like. Something will come along. Praying that you find something soon.  :hug3:

I haven't turned the TV on all day. I am over the news right now. It is getting too depressing and I just don't need that right now. 

Went to church this morning, then came home and got flowers together to take to cemetery. Haven't been to the graveside in about 3 months.  

Gas jumped again to $3.99 but still $3.79 in a few places. This is getting ridiculous. All I can say is thank you John Kerry and the Biden administration for making our lives miserable with this stupid new green deal that will put us all in the poor house. Not that it will affect any of the administration. Solar will not work, electric cars, no thinks, and best not mess with my natural gas. That's all I am going to say on that. :gaah:

Went across street to let the pup out. She is a mess and lazy. She says she is only going to chase the ball 3 times and you are crazy if you think I am going to chase it a 4th time. Where are my goodies.  She is a pit bull spoiled brat. But cute. 

• Like 4