MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Family experience only here from me, but my sister gets allergic reactions to some things. Found out "itching palms" is an allergy. Penicillin and all related drugs for her.. Touching certain plants causes it in some folks.

DB has bad dizzy spells where he can do nothing almost. Tried floor exercise, ears treated, etc. Only one doc gave him valium and it works perfectly. Very difficult to get docs to give that. I also used it once for twice for that, and it works. Docs are so afraid of prescribing somethings now days, especially if you are over 60.

Would Valerian Root (or Kava Kava) work Virginia? I've always said that Kava Kava is God's valiuim...but perhaps Valerian would work too? Some are fearful of Valerian because it's a muscle relaxer...and the heart is a muscle. Whatcha think? These herbs are pretty easily accessible.

Just finished another batch of granola, and have a pot of elderberry syrup steeping. My lungs are feeling so much better this morning. I fired up my little inhaler and added a dab of methol to it and have been turning it on to heat up periodically, and taking a swig of elderberry syrup (with Vodka in it) and it's making a difference. I did check on my gold fish "Goldie" and she had some crud too, so I started her on some meds for 10 days. Let her swim around it in. The weather is misty, cloudy and dreary...temp high today supposed to be around 35 or so. Not sure what I'll find that needs doing this afternoon, but I'm thinking I'll try to vacuum seal some summer clothes for transport to the homestead. Adding...also started another quart jar of sprouts yesterday. We were just about out. Not only are they good on sandwiches but they're good in our scrambled eggs :-)

Edited by The WE2's

The Valium seems to be helping the dizziness. :happy0203: I made the 50 mile trip back to Madison VA for my Urology consult this morning, with DH's help. He's been great about my world spinning out of control. I'm still not convinced that my head injury may not have set-off the vertigo. :hug3:

I had a CT scan done several weeks ago with some questionable problem areas after finding blood in the urine. Now it's going to be an procedure in Urology, and an upcoming consult to GI dept. Sometimes, I don't think CT scans are worth finding out what's wrong on the inside. :laughkick:

I now am going back to designing my veggie, flower gardens and a new orchard. No sense in sitting around and wondering what all the test results mean. :bounce:

Checked my quart of homemade Castille soap and I'll be do for another batch before long. Also mixed up another batch of my homemade tooth powder...added the charcoal this time for bacterial fighting and whitening. With the peppermint it's so refreshing. Elderberry syrup is cooling and waiting for the honey and vodka. Still find myself "staring at the summer clothes" that need to be vacuum sealed down :bounce:

Checked my quart of homemade Castille soap and I'll be do for another batch before long. Also mixed up another batch of my homemade tooth powder...added the charcoal this time for bacterial fighting and whitening. With the peppermint it's so refreshing. Elderberry syrup is cooling and waiting for the honey and vodka. Still find myself "staring at the summer clothes" that need to be vacuum sealed down :bounce:

Recipe for elderberry syrup, please? I need to make some.

I'm still not convinced that my head injury may not have set-off the vertigo.

I'd sure be wondering tooooo! Seems too much for coincidence in timing. Glad you are still pursuing it. Sorry it's not going away. :(

Folks, I frequently throw out this caution. Have a care when you get into "nature's pharmacy" with things like Valerian and Kava Kava. Make sure you do a lot of study of the interaction of such things....especially if you also take things from the "chemical pharmacy". Consult reputable herbalists and others who have this expertise if you can't attain it yourself. Nature's Pharmacy is GREAT! But it can be very potent. {just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe....hemlock, for instance...}

Sorry you've still got the ITCHIES, Annarchy. :pray: you find the cause and eliminate it.....tactile or otherwise.

Today was the day for pellet stove guy ---who has been a SUPER JERK every time he or his also-jerk papa have come. Annual cleaning of whatever. But now that they actually INSTALLED A CHIMNEY PIPE.....they need to clean it. Over 20 years ago when this pellet stove was installed, whoever did it neglected to install the pellet stove pipe to go up the chimney and OUT..... These guys...well the papa discovered this a couple years ago and installed it correctly. That would have had CONSIDERABLE affect on our ability to heat this DRAFTY cabin and considerable affect on how the stove runs. Anyway, now it does need a pipe cleaning. Not real sure how he did that cuz I just let property manager handle him.

Body has dropped the adrenaline levels and I'm feeling shaky, weak, dizzy, and uncoordinated. But....it's part of the process. As long as I get up to do things in short spurts, I do ok. Feeding has been.....laborious but a short walk with doggie-dear is helpful. As long as I can get back to the truck. :rolleyes:

After the frigid weather passes thru, we're hoping to do Christmas with my folks ...mebbe Sat? Depends on how much snow we get...how exhausted we are from that. DH will likely work again by Sunday so..... :santa:

MtRider ...got up early to move a lot of stuff to make room for today's 'project'....and now moved stuff back. :dusting:

Good Morning.

Laundry day, again. Since this washer takes an hour to wash a load, it seems like it is a never ending job.

Itches are letting up somewhat. Thank God! They were driving me buggy! We still are not sure exactly what triggered it, but, I know, I do not want to have to deal with it again.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I went out with a load of laundry. Slithering along the edge of the lawn, was a 6 inch long earth worm!!! :hapydancsmil: I got worms!!!! That has my hopes up, that this year's gardens will flourish.

Does anybody know if, mushrooms growing in the mulch and straw in my gardens, is a good thing?

:behindsofa:

Last nite I discovered :runcirclsmiley2: that the whole creek has a ceiling of thick ice over it. It's still running down beneath ...you can hear it...but there is only one small location the horses can drink. Not sure if they are using that. We've had a lot of melt-water on top of our yearly ice floe in the pasture. They can get quite a bit of water from there but IT'S DEFINITELY TIME to set up the horse tank!!!!! Cuz if we go as cold as I think in the next couple days, that melt-water won't be there.

So we got going today during our {thank You, God} short window of opportunity before AWFUL WINTER hits tonite. Had to RE-repair a break in the hose. [like us, hoses are getting OLD toooo!] Fortunately, DH buys ahead on hose juncture kits. Sat side by side in our winter coveralls on the ground repairing both sides of the break. I'd brought bottom half of hoses inside the garage last nite so they weren't cold-stiff to unroll. Upper hoses were in place. Nearly 400' in all. I set the water tank upright and leveled it with rocks/boards. And YEA!!! :cheer: Water flowed thru. We were about 25 degrees and no longer sunny but it flowed. :amen: ...that's the anxious part in winter.

After that was set up we linked the electrical cords for the tank heater and wrapping the junctures in plastic/duct tape. The heater keeps the water a few degrees above freezing....but the horses don't have ''tea". Goats, I've discovered, will drink more water if it's "tea temperature" when you bring it out in the morning, so we do that. I've never asked the duck about their preference. :lol:

Watching the weather deteriorating...but still having some time...I decided to put all my BO stuff back in my old truck. Had emptied stuff into the van while truck was being repaired and now :thumbs: everything is back inside the truck as normal. It's a LOT of stuff! But it's stuff that I would not have to haul-outside-and-pack if we had to leave in a HURRY. A lot of heavy stuff! And it's a good place to store stuff that doesn't mind temperature fluctuations. Unlike our garage, the truck does not have MICE!

If we ever had to EVAC with the animals to a fairgrounds or something ahead of a wildfire, I have basically enough stuff to survive camping with them. Including a temporary corral-in-a-bag....long cable tie-out for Koa....tent/camp-kit/sleeping bags/tools/etc. My main big BOB is in there. My preliminary smaller BOB is also in there but I brought it up to the house to search thru it....refresh my memory. Hopefully find my Katadyn filter that's been MIA for months. :sigh: WHAT did I do with that MOST IMPORTANT piece of equipment???????

MtRider ....Darkening with cloud cover now. Windy but not severe. Still 20 degrees....not bad...yet..... :behindsofa:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Annarchy has worms! Annarchy has worms! They make a medicine for that ya know. :24:
Glad your itchy's are subsiding. :animal0017:

Mt. Rider said, "I'd brought bottom half of hoses inside the garage last nite so they weren't cold-stiff to unroll." I read that as horses (twice) and not hoses. Was wondering how you got the bottom half of the horse to stay in all night while the front half stuck out. Sometimes I wonder about myself. Sigh.

Migraine is still plaguing me but it won't last much longer. If it does I'll get the big gun$ out. Maxalt.

Must have been the time of year for cars/trucks/vans to break down. After reading about all of the ones here in the last couple of months, my son called and said he just got his car out of the shop. And his dryer broke again. Ouch. Expensive start to their new year. $$$$

:coffeescreen: Well you paid me back for 'horses' with that Worm Announcement. :24: Of course my first thot was her hives and you'd just had a medical breakthrough. :grinning-smiley-044: THEN I remembered her new garden friend..... Oh, we're a sorry bunch gathering here at MrsS tonite. :sassing:

MtRider ...do ya suppose Annarchy's new garden friend is acquainted with our Wormie? :wormie2:

Large sauce pan: add 3 1/2 cups of water, 1/2 cup dried elderberries, 2 Tbsp of dried ginger (or fresh ground), 1 tsp. of ceylon cinnamon powder (this is pure cinnemon, but you can use the other stuff), 1/2 tsp. of ground cloves powder, 1 cup of raw honey and ... if yu want the alcohol, 1 cup of vodka. Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat & cover, then simmer for 1 hour, stirring periodically. Strain through a vine mesh, and let cool. Place in a quart jar with a lid and keep in frig. Dosage: Maintenance, 2 Tbsp with your breakfast. For cold/flu, 2 Tbsp every 3 hours.

I know you use tooth powder. I use paste. Coconut oil and baking soda and mix to a paste. Wondering how much charcoal powder to add to that. Say 1/2 cup coconut oil and the same of baking soda or until paste. Would you add one or two capsules of charcoal? I've never used it, but know it helps!

Large sauce pan: add 3 1/2 cups of water, 1/2 cup dried elderberries, 2 Tbsp of dried ginger (or fresh ground), 1 tsp. of ceylon cinnamon powder (this is pure cinnemon, but you can use the other stuff), 1/2 tsp. of ground cloves powder, 1 cup of raw honey and ... if yu want the alcohol, 1 cup of vodka. Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat & cover, then simmer for 1 hour, stirring periodically. Strain through a vine mesh, and let cool. Place in a quart jar with a lid and keep in frig. Dosage: Maintenance, 2 Tbsp with your breakfast. For cold/flu, 2 Tbsp every 3 hours.

Thanks! I have all the ingredients but ground cloves. I even have Ceylon cinnamon. :-)

What's a vine mesh? I have strainers and cheesecloth.

:pc_coffee:

:coffeescreen:

You all made my day :008Laughing:

Thanks, WE2 for the recipe for elderberry syrup. Awesome!

Yesterday. I was busy working on the year end books, when DH urgently called me. Hurriedly, I dropped everything and went to see what was going on.

He was on the back porch and looking up into the sky towards the sun. I looked up and could not believe what we were seeing. It looked like spider webs, everywhere, floating down. I have never seen such a thing. It looked like it had been dropped from an airplane. (Which had passed over a few minutes before we noticed the strings of webbing.) IF it was spider webbing, we've just been invaded by space spiders! There was so much of it and it lasted several hours. We took a bunch of pictures and even caught one of the floaters, trying to figure out what it was. IDK :shrug:

Web3.png

Web4.png

Web6.png

Web7.png

:scratchhead::animal0017::runcirclsmiley2:

IMPORTANT...I failed to mention in the elderberry syrup recipe, to WAIT UNTIL THE MIXTURE IS COMPLETELY COOL BEFORE YOU ADD THE HONEY (and liquor). If it's hot, it will kill the good properties of the honey.

Thanks! I have all the ingredients but ground cloves. I even have Ceylon cinnamon. :-)

What's a vine mesh? I have strainers and cheesecloth.

Supposed to be "fine" mesh! LOL

IMPORTANT ....I failed to mention in the elderberry syrup recipe, to WAIT UNTIL THE MIXTURE IS COMPLETELY COOL BEFORE YOU ADD THE HONEY (and liquor). If it's hot, it will kill the good properties of the honey.

Thanks WE2 ...

MtRider ....copy/pasted elderberry syrup!

Supposed to be "fine" mesh! LOL

IMPORTANT ....I failed to mention in the elderberry syrup recipe, to WAIT UNTIL THE MIXTURE IS COMPLETELY COOL BEFORE YOU ADD THE HONEY (and liquor). If it's hot, it will kill the good properties of the honey.

I know you use tooth powder. I use paste. Coconut oil and baking soda and mix to a paste. Wondering how much charcoal powder to add to that. Say 1/2 cup coconut oil and the same of baking soda or until paste. Would you add one or two capsules of charcoal? I've never used it, but know it helps!

I use the powder because I don't like spitting coconut oil down my drains :-( I use Bentonite Clay (about 3 tablespoons), activated charcoal powder (1 teaspoon), baking soda (1 teaspoon), 2 drops of peppermint essential oil and then I grind it very fine in my "designated" coffee bean grinder (I have 3...one for "stuff", one for spices and one for coffee) and then into my small container. All I do is wet my brush and dip it into the powder and give my mouth a good brushing. If I want, I'll do some coconut oil "pulling" every once in awhile, and I can spit that in the trash and not down my drains.

Just finished mixing up another quart of yogurt and it's in the oven wrapped up nice and warm, with the oven light on. Oh...also put my jar of honey that had crystallized in the oven with the yogurt also. It's a great way to soften up your honey...LOL (no pun intended)

FINALLY, got the summer clothes mostly vacuum sealed into bags and we have a nice pice stacked in the livingroom to take over to the homestead...whenever! It snowed last night so I'm sticking in the house today. I'm finally getting over the hacking cough of bronchitis and I don't want anything (like inhaling cold air!) to set it off. I have a polyester "balakava" wrap that I can put over my head, neck and nose etc., but I'm not planning on using it today :-) I got it out and put it by my coat and hat etc., just in case we need to go someplace quickly.