MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Shoveling 4" of snow from everywhere we gotta walk. High today was FOUR DEGREES [above zero]. Gonna be :frozen: tonite and then begin to climb back up in temperature. Driveway was plowed....Thank you, W!! :amen:

I came back up the steep driveway after W was done up here at the house. Was in DH's truck and woooooooieeeeeee....I forgot to put it in FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE. Half way up I felt the skidding and RATS! Couldn't find the mechanism quick enough. Again, not used to this vehicle and couldn't take my eyes off the path ahead. Just managed to crest the top of the driveway to the small flat area and skidded into place. Took a moment to catch my breath before actually parking it. Giving thanks for not going over the STEEP DOWN DROP to the pond. :amen: He's got the 4-wheel lever all covered up with the trash bag handles and other stuff. I couldn't SEE IT and just didn't think of engaging it before I felt the slippage. Big slippage! Even plowed out....it's not a nice paved driveway. Keeps all sorts of snowpack in the dips and ridges of it's unevenness.

Well, I've done this 'S' curve + HILL driveway thousands of times in many different vehicles. But....that was ...ahem, unnecessarily exciting. :band::balloons::band2: ............ :grinning-smiley-044::rolleyes:Yiiiii Hah!

MtRider ....and lived to tell about it ....again. :wave:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I made it home safe and sound sometime last evening. Kids couldn't understand why I wanted to leave early. They wanted me to stay until Sunday but I knew the weather at my end was going to get nasty and it did!. I'm so glad I left when I did. It rained all day yesterday then turned to freezing rain then added a couple of inches of snow. By this morning everything froze. It is a sheet of ice out there now and treacherous. They are warning people to stay off of the roads. Thankfully it's Sunday so not many work commuters out there.

I had a glorious time...of course. Went shopping (cha- ching) and DIL wrapped it all up. Easy peasy at least for me. A couple of boxes were too big to wrap so Santa will just set them under the tree. Son will have to put a couple of them together. It's going to be fun for them to do the Santa thing for the first time. Baby is still too young to 'get it' but we adults sure are having fun.

We went ahead and did adult Christmas while I was there. I probably won't get back for a couple of months. Hummm, I didn't know the Rolling Stones had a new CD. :grinning-smiley-044: Excellent! And I got my first present from Sweet Baby J. It's a little statue thing that has his name and date on it and says it's Grandma's first grandma Christmas. I bawled.

I threw everyone off schedule and held that baby even when he slept. His little back is probably as sore as mine. I gave him little muscle massages though. Sigh. He learned to pull up while I was there and we played peek-a-boo. He puts his head down and rolls his eyes up and smiles. Lord in Heaven, I could just die. He gave grandma her first "blow out" while I was feeding him. In one end and out the other LOL. I loved every minute of it. I could go on and on but I'll spare you.

Lovely visit but I'm really glad to be home in my own chair and bed and surroundings. And I don't have to worry about the weather and traveling now.

Merry Christmas!

post-2492-0-46909500-1482091468_thumb.jpg

Very cool Grma report, Jeepers!!! With Pic!!! Awwww! Sounds like you were very PREPARED with knowledge and wisdom to miss the icy roads.

We're "warming up" today. Overnite low: MINUS 17 degrees....so it takes a while to 'climb outta the basement'. A somewhat faltering 15 above right now. Tomorrow will be better.

So....I'm staying inside. The most ambitious thing I'll do is clear the other half of the path to goathouse. Hopefully it's not too locked down. Moving snow right away when it's fluffy is easiest but....there is a limit to manual labor. :0327:

MtRider ....gonna have to get to town for the few Christmas gifts we exchange...one of these-here days.... :rolleyes:

Glad you had fun, Jeepers! And made it home safely!

It is 27 degrees, raining and windy here in MS today. Making cookies most of the day. White choc. chip/Pecan baked and done. Coffee/Cinnamon sugar cookies and peppermint shortbread w.Andes mints. 2nd two, the dough is chilling to be baked another day. Still have a few to go this week but not today!

Welcome home Jeepers. Glad you had a safe trip. I'm jealous... grandbaby love... sounds wonderful.

Miki, your cookies made me want to make some. DH asked me to make him some pralines with walnuts. I'm not a big sugar/sweet eater, unless it is dark chocolate.

Mt_Rider, try to stay warm.

I'll be preparing for our trip to MIL's. House/animal sitter is scheduled and I will do a double check on our travel BOB refreshing the perishables.

Plus, I'll need to prepare for Gunny's arrival after we get back. He will need food dishes, collar, leash and a house bed. I will pull out my dog training book and review the training processes we want him to have. God willing, he won't need much training and he will get along with Grrr.

DH gave me his crud. Yuck. The lack of energy is the worst. I am hoping to be over it before the trip. MIL said she got it last week.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Thanks for the welcome home! Santa is going to sent a different picture and a letter from the North Pole to baby this week. Sigh.

It's 19 degrees now and it feels bitter cold. It's supposed to get down to 8 tonight but I'm not sure about the wind chill. I need to get a weather website on the computer that tells that. Both of mine just give the real temp.

Miki, your cookies sound so good. I'd love to have a warm cookie right now. Or maybe a couple of them! Sometimes I buy a container of cookies from our grocery store bakery section and zap them for a few seconds in the microwave. Very good but not nearly as good as homemade!

I hope your crud is gone before your trip, Annie. That could be miserable.

I made it home safe and sound sometime last evening. Kids couldn't understand why I wanted to leave early. They wanted me to stay until Sunday but I knew the weather at my end was going to get nasty and it did!. I'm so glad I left when I did. It rained all day yesterday then turned to freezing rain then added a couple of inches of snow. By this morning everything froze. It is a sheet of ice out there now and treacherous. They are warning people to stay off of the roads. Thankfully it's Sunday so not many work commuters out there.

I had a glorious time...of course. Went shopping (cha- ching) and DIL wrapped it all up. Easy peasy at least for me. A couple of boxes were too big to wrap so Santa will just set them under the tree. Son will have to put a couple of them together. It's going to be fun for them to do the Santa thing for the first time. Baby is still too young to 'get it' but we adults sure are having fun.

We went ahead and did adult Christmas while I was there. I probably won't get back for a couple of months. Hummm, I didn't know the Rolling Stones had a new CD. :grinning-smiley-044: Excellent! And I got my first present from Sweet Baby J. It's a little statue thing that has his name and date on it and says it's Grandma's first grandma Christmas. I bawled.

I threw everyone off schedule and held that baby even when he slept. His little back is probably as sore as mine. I gave him little muscle massages though. Sigh. He learned to pull up while I was there and we played peek-a-boo. He puts his head down and rolls his eyes up and smiles. Lord in Heaven, I could just die. He gave grandma her first "blow out" while I was feeding him. In one end and out the other LOL. I loved every minute of it. I could go on and on but I'll spare you.

Lovely visit but I'm really glad to be home in my own chair and bed and surroundings. And I don't have to worry about the weather and traveling now.

Merry Christmas!

:thumbs:

Stayed inside all day yesterday, and let the weather do it's thing. Funny how quiet the streets were, people anticipating the bad weather. It did the sleet, icy rain then snow thing, ended up with about an inch of snow. They kept the roads and streets cleared well. We went out this afternoon to "make our presence known" at the homestead house and at the Roost house...pulling into the driveway, checking the mail boxes, walking to the doors etc. and then dropped off some library books. The temp is currently 3 but with the wind chill it's 6. You can just "feel the chill" even in the house. We keep the thermostat set at 67 and dress very warmly, but it still has a chilly feel. I'll be taking an extra warm shower tonight :-)

:lol: WE2. I used to do that "pull in the driveway to make tracks like someone is home" every time we got snow while different neighbors were gone. A pristine white driveway/sidewalks mean 'nobody home'. :unsure: And in this era of time, it might mean mischief or worse. <_<

Got chores done quick tonite. Thot van was gonna die on me down in barnyard so I didn't dare shut it off. I'm struggling with energy after all that hay/snow labor and I DO NOT want to hafta walk UP that driveway to the house. So I cut the doggie walk out completely.

Instead dog and I played our sliding-on-driveway-snowpack and chase-the-soda-bottle-game till both of us were :imoksmiley: This is done right outside the house so no vehicle needed. Then we played "catch me if you can" inside the goat pen....which has a steep hill right by the house. I don't climb the hill but play from the bottom and she dashes around in zippy circles. That's on only place for her to be off leash and still contained. She really stretches into her run. Good for her. I'm just :cheer: to encourage her to get her 'zippy' done with.

MtRider :)

Edited by Mt_Rider

Does anyone have menfolk that ACTUALLY PUT TOOLS BACK WHERE THEY BELONG???? :motz_6:

My dad was always compulsively careful of tools [well, everything!]. He'd grown up poor and took care of what he had...still does. AND....he always knew where to FIND any tool or part or bit of wood or..... I took after him in that. Even in my cluttered tiny house, I can almost always find things. Distresses me if I can't. I have an actual MIA list on the fridge. Cross off items when they are located and add new ones if I can't find. Usually about 5 things on the list.

So being disabled, I have a Point Of Use storage system. I have multiple [garage sale] hammers cuz ....you need them at various places and there they are handy.

POINT OF USE for the battery charger and the very long orange extension cord .....is INSIDE THE VAN, of course. Cuz said van is not holding a proper charge in it's battery and needs a jump or a run on the charger....frequently. <_<

So where did DH put the charger and the cord after he took them off? The right answer would be INSIDE MY VAN SO WHEN IT DIDN'T START DOWN IN THE BARNYARD....I could merely hook up the charger to the barnyard outlet and let it charge a bit. Then drive it on up the hill. :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044:

The cord is next to the washing machine. I have no idea where he hid the charger. He's at work, of course. I walked UP the hill, of course. Fortunately I also have Point Of Use sleds.....one in the van, of course. So I load my Epack, now empty duck/horse food containers, and empty water jug for evening duck water. Fortunately I have Point Of Use BIG DOG who can pull the sled with heavy stuff [the Epack] on her body harness. Cuz I was soooooo verrrrry fatigued before I even began feeding tonite. :0327:

It's so weird...every husband I know acts like he's got Lost In Space syndrome. Is it just me and my friends' husbands?? :scratchhead:

MtRider :sigh:

My son is horrible about putting tools away. Wherever he is finished with them that's where I'll find them. Bad enough you do it at your own house but at someone else's house??? :tapfoot:

I guess he figured if he was good enough to fix something for me I was good enough to put the tools away. Uh, I'd have to find then all first before I could put them away. I have had to buy duplicate tools too. Screwdrivers? I got em. Lots of em.

I was going to just stay in today and do nothing. I remembered that the last time I started the Jeep is sounded like it hesitated a little. I was hoping it was my imagination and not the battery. Since I didn't start it yesterday and it was single digits last night I figured I'd better go check it out. Whew, it started right up. Decided I'd better start up the tractor too. It started right up too although it chugs a little when it idles. I think it always did that though. I'll keep starting it once a week or so. It worked last year so why tempt fate.

Since I had the car running I figured I'd take her for a spin. I went over to the store...again and loaded up on some snacks. Thanks to Snapshotmiki I was craving cookies. I know hers are better though! Then gassed up the car before my end-of-the-month fuel perks run out. I swung by McD's and picked up a chicken-bacon-ranch salad and a sweet tea. I noticed the library and went in for a look see. I came out with about a dozen DVD's. I got all of the seasons of Mr. Selfridge and all of Downton Abby plus a few more. We can have them for 3 weeks at a time and 3 (refills... I can't think of the word. :buttercup:) So, right now I'm set for the rest of the year unless I just want to go. And I usually do.

By the way, I only have one vehicle. I end up calling the Jeep a car most of the time. And my tractor is actually a riding lawn mower. But after years of a push mower, it's a tractor to me. :happy0203:

Mine, has managed to make most of mine vanish.

I got him a large tool chest on wheels. I gathered all the tools I could find and carefully/logically organized all the tools in it. All the various screwdrivers filled a whole drawer as did the pliers.

It took him about 6 months. I went to get a pair of needle nose pliers and they were gone. All but the old old screwdrivers are left in the other drawer. Finally, I asked him if he knew where they went. He said they are in his desk.

A couple of months later, he went out with a friend and when he came home he handed me a bag with a set of screwdrivers and a package of working gloves. I put them in a spare metal carrying case and keep them locked in my office.

Granted, I could get into his desk (and do occasionally) to get what I need, but shuffling through all his drawers to find the right tool is more time consuming and frustrating, than just using the old old rusted ones that still remain in the large tool chest.

I slept in until 5:30am. Got up coughing and weak. Didn't feel good and just sat staring out the window watching the birds. The wind was aggressive and cold. DH got up near noon, coughing. I called the doctor and was shocked the could get both of us in at 1:30.

The doc said they have been seeing a rush of people, the last couple of weeks, with the same crud. Amoxicillin and cough syrup.

Tonight, we are resting and trying to feel better.

Glad you liked it, Cecilia. We watched the older ones the other day.

The weather was cool and nice last night, so we sat around the fire pit and chatted most of the evening.

This morning I made 4 small French apple pies for Christmas. Had a small amount of pie crust dough left over. Dotted butter on it, folded it up and chilled it for a while, then, rolled it out, spread the left over crumble and diced up the left over apple slices and made turnovers.

That sounds really good Annie! It just reminded me that when I was going to Indy last week I stopped to top off the gas tank here in town and picked up three HUGE muffins. I mean the really big ones. I went to pay for them and the guy asked me if I wanted some milk to go with them. I said no that they were for traveling. After I got in the car I realized he thought I was going to eat them all at once. Guess I'd better put 'diet' on that non-existence New Year resolution list.

I just bought myself a Christmas present. Spent a whopping $6.99 for it too. I have waited and waited for the Little House on the Prairie books to come out on Kindle. I checked them today on a fluke and they are available. Woo-Hoo. I have the books but I really wanted one on Kindle. I got The Long Winter. It's my favorite. Will pass the books down to GS someday.

I spent most of the day under the blanket watching season 2 of Mr. Selfridge. Jeremy Piven is easy on the eyes. :)

waiting to see if i can get an equity loan to buy a small place down in GA. The plan is to sell place #1 after a bit (have had offer of $80,000) and pay off the loan, thus leaving the GA home free & clear. Found a nice prospect - 3 BR, double wide 2 bath mobile home, built 200, on 1 acre, own well & septic. Just minor cosmetic issues, walking distance to a lake & deeded access boat landing. under $50,000. fingers are crossed. I like it down here, no snow, MUCH lower taxes, many fewer legal restrictions on personal land usage. Waiting to see what happens...

Edited by kappydell

I went to the dentist yesterday for a routine cleaning. I have to go every three months because I have "active" saliva and make plaque so quickly. It is not pleasant because I have very sensitive teeth. So glad it's done until the end of March. At Ingles, I found bananas on sale for 25 cents per lb and bought about 30 lbs to dehydrate. Found that most of them are quite firm even though they are brown speckled. I will pick out the riper ones to dry and we'll eat on the rest until they ripen more.

We are still having trouble with our water. DS checked on the reservoir and spring yesterday and found that the sloping bottom of the reservoir is not even covered! He thinks we can use about 1 gallon every 5 minutes which means no laundry. DD has been doing 1 load per day and getting farther and farther behind with it. So today we plan to load up the car and go to the laundromat. We'll bring it all home to dry. It's almost an hour drive to the laundromat.

DS thinks that they can dig out the spring and re-work it to get more water coming in the tank and it will be OK. I hope so. DD1 and DSIL are coming next weekend for our Christmas and we'll need the extra water.

DS has a denture repair to do and return today. DH has borrowed Cousin's tractor with wood splitter and we've been splitting wood as we have a chance. I guess that's what he'll work on today. It's supposed to be sunny and in the upper 40s today.

:thumbs: Sounds great kappydell, BTW, I've been wondering how you were. Nice to see you again. :pray: you get the place you want.

LOL, Jeepers, "Guess I'd better put 'diet' on that non-existence New Year resolution list." Same here..... :ashamed0002: With DH asking if I know how to cook sweets and asking for specific items, yanno, I just have to taste test it..... ;)

Ambergris, the meds have made a huge difference. The crud has lightened up, with a productive cough. Fever, aches and pains have dissipated and I am getting my energy back. Wow, that was some nasty stuff, I definitely will be glad when it is completely gone.

MIL entertained me all year, when I visited her, by putting the show, "Last Man Standing" on TV. Sometimes they would show 5 or 6 shows a night. DH found them on Netflix and when there is nothing on TV at night, we have been watching the show, in the order it was created - 6 seasons. I have been paying attention to the hair styles on the women. The stylist know how to braid..... :)

Dental work.... :runcirclsmiley2: Last time I went, the dentist pulled 2 molars. The remaining molar and wisdom teeth moved slightly into the gap. Then, I would wake myself up grinding my teeth. Time passed and the stupid wisdom tooth began to ache and was extremely loose - I could move it with my tongue. That was OK for a while, I'd just move it off to the side where it didn't bother me, but eating, drinking, and brushing was not pretty. Finally, last week, this "nutcase" as DH calls me, got some dental floss and yanked that sucker out of there. :imoksmiley: I just could NOT justify paying the dentist $300. to do it. When I asked why it was so expensive, they said it was because it was the wisdom teeth. :shakinghead: Yeah, I guess I am a "nutcase". :0327:

Well, it sounds like the rain has let up, so I'm going to go out to see what the day is bringing.

Christmas Mystery at my house:

The other day, while we were sitting around the fire pit chit chatting, we noticed something vaguely glowing near the top of our Christmas tree we planted over 20 years ago. We got out a flashlight and shined the top of the tree, but, we could not see anything that might be causing it to glow in the dark. It wasn't large and the flashlight did not seem to increase the brightness of the object.

Last night when we were out, it caught our eyes again. DH got the flashlight out and we attempted to locate what it is again, contemplating what could be small enough that we can not see it.

Today, between the rain storms passing through, I got out the binoculars and focused in on the area. At first it looked like a small branch, but after moving around a little, it seems like it is a small 1-2 inch piece of grayish yarn or rope, barely visible.

Mystery solved, sorta. I am guessing, some bird put/dropped it up there. Our Christmas tree has a Christmas star near the tip top of the tree. :D Maybe, an angel decorated it because we did't do any decorating this year.

:engel-smilies-10-1:

I hope your loan goes through Kappy, and you get your dream home!

Dentists...ugh. Two nights ago one of my molars started to twinge a little. Not really hurt but it let me know it was there. I hope it's okay. I really don't want to go to the dentist. Me + Dentist = Scared. Plus I want to find a new one. The one I have is okay but he can't do anything fancy. He's just a basic drill em fill em man.

Loved your Christmas tree mystery Annarchy! I was thinking a small animal.

I was having quiet evening when I called son with some family gossip news. His son (Sweet Baby J.) got a picture and a letter from Santa in the mail today. The letter was so darn sweet. Son started reading it to me and he started to cry which started me to crying (I was starting to anyway) so we both had to hang up. Maybe we'll be able to read it at his birthday next July. Grin. I'm so grateful my son loves his son so much. :yar:

Why do people wait until the 'Eve' of a holiday to go grocery shopping? I had to circle around the parking lot two times before I found a spot way back in the Hinterlands. I wasn't one of 'those' shopping; I was there at the pharmacy picking up meds since they will be closed for two days. The lines on all of the registers were all full and backed up. I stopped in K-Mart to pick up a get well card and they were almost empty. I'll bet they won't be around much longer. Watch for sales.

Note to self...get some cards in the house to have handy.