MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Your hair is getting longer WE2. Pretty shade...looks highlighted.

Two days ago I got a call from my doctors office saying I'm over due for my meds appointment. I told her I know but I'm waiting for my Medicare to start and it's only in a couple of weeks. I told her I had plenty of meds to get me through so it was not a worry. I told them I'll call after June 1st.  This morning I got a call from the pharmacy saying they had some meds filled for me. Doctor called them in again this month. Woo-hoo. This is the second month she has done that without me even asking. A preppers dream come true. LOL

Yep Jeeps, it's growing much faster even now...no coloring, not much hairspray etc, and lots of nightly brushing before O put it up in a few huge pin curls to keep it off my neck...LOL

• Like 1

Got the Okra planted today, in the deep mulch section, while MR thinned out the raspberry bushes.  Took about 6 to a friend (potted them up in a nice container and added a ribbon) for her birthday, and then gave 4 starts to my neighbor who also gardens.  Got real busy hanging my VCR strips all over the garden area! LOL  If we don't get any rain tonight I'll have to water the Okra in myself.

Going swimming today. :happy0203:  Meeting a couple of DH's friends there. 

Refilled the hummingbird feeder. They empty the 2 feeders in less than a week. We have 5 different varieties of them that visit our yard. The feeder at the garden  attracts a few honey bees. 

Hopefully, I will begin collecting seeds to restock my seed bin. 

Well, the sun is about to crest the distant mountains, so I need to double check our day packs. Dog shoes, our water shoes, dive gear, first aid kit, knives, etc. 

I hope everyone has a blessed day. 

:bouquet:

• Like 2

We noticed smoke in the distant mountains yesterday, a fire burning near San Carlos.  Today we could hardly see it. Hopefully they were able to put it out. :pray:

Diving & swimming was relaxing. A little discomfort, but once I began finding stuff, it dissipated. Lol

Found a pair of sunglasses, a towel, a t-shirt, a lighter, and a nose plug. DH's friend took all but the sunglasses. I kept them. Cheap American flag design.  My Uncle in Maryland gives them away, whenever I send a box to him. Of course, we tend to keep the best, most expensive ones.  Finders fee. :happy0203:

I fished a bit, but diving revealed only desert suckers. Game and fish haven't stocked it yet. Soon, I'm sure. The water was running about 800 cubic feet per second and is a lot cooler than it was on Monday, when it was running at 400 cfs. 

Grrr chased minnows all day and Gunner wore himself out running and jumping in and out of the water.  Poor puppy passed out as soon as we got on the road. Grrr sat up, as usual, barking at cars he didn't like. 

Time to clean our gear and get something to eat. 

• Like 2

"Grrr sat up, as usual, barking at cars he didn't like."

That made me laugh out loud. I could imagine him saying, "You're okay, you're okay, you're okay. Wait, hold on there Buddy....Ah-roooooo, rooooo. Off of my road!"

• Like 2

Yesterday and last night were just perfect!  72 with a little breeze and 52 last night!  Today 82 and 61 tonight.  We still have the house opened up as we know tomorrow it is headed up again and too warm for sleeping at night too.

I made Apple Scrap Jelly today.  I think it is setting ok.  Trying not to move it for 24 hours.  Have had the cores and peels in the freezer for a couple of months.  I was trying to hold off buying fruit to can but DH says go ahead!  Kroger has pineapples for 88 cents and mangoes for 50 cents each!  I've been looking forward to doing both!

We signed many papers at the bank yesterday, so now we wait.  And with the holiday, I am not expecting anything to go fast.  Maybe hear from someone Tuesday. 

• Like 1

Sigh.....yesterday I had a disability evaluation [looong story and getting longer]   So we journeyed way over to the city.  Even riding [definitely NOT driving] that far wears me out.  Then the inevitable waiting room chairs...filling out forms....the next waiting room chairs.  Well, not that I actually sit down very long.  Painful unless they recline.  So I sit, stand, walk, sit on my seat cane, stand, pace....  The PT was actually right on time but didn't think he could fill out the forms my Life Ins company wants. 

This is the second time I've heard that song.....  :runcirclsmiley2:

But this time DH came back with me.  And yes, I was getting too hot inside AGAIN.  So when DH saw my face going white and red, I got out the ice packs.  PT offered more ice packs.  We decided to go ahead with whatever evaluation he COULD do and just send that to the PA I'd previously seen ......with a note to get  an M.D. signature...blah, blah, blah.  Like a never-ending story here. 

So with the help of cool bib and ice packs, I did the Phsyical Therapy Eval.  It was pretty rough ONLY because I was already spent from the hour and half trip to the facility.  And...the heat which might be moderate for most people but deadly for me.  :sigh:   PT went a half hour overtime with me [us].  DH was able to help me answer so PT could figure out what I was saying...and vice versa.  My cognitive was clearing up as I cooled down with the ice.  I was feeling much better the last half hour.  PT was amused that I really slammed into the tasks.  I explained that I often trigger reflexive motions with my muscles because I get more accurate results.  I think he began to see what I meant after a while.  He said overall, it sounds like I "live in a gym"....always working the balance/coordination due to uneven ground etc.  He thot I did pretty well adapting with what I have left.  :)

When he led us out of the maze of PT stuff, my R foot was turning inward.  That's painful and very awkward walking....and it goes away when it goes away.  I took one look at the 'mile and a half of hallway' the guy showed us for exit and said...."Ack!  I need a wheelchair!"  He went and got one. 

Nice guy.  Just hope his evaluation is good enough.  I'm very DEPLETED from two medical visits.  Tried to get on line to see the report and make a copy and .....I could not get thru the barriers.  "your user name has already been used...choose again"  "your passwords don't match"  "The system is down"  :brickwall:

Pain levels bad today.  Woke with horrid headache and got that cleared up by walking and standing for an hour or so.  Then got a hitch in my back and DH had to adjust me twice.  It's mostly gone now ....mostly.  Have been very VERY tired.  Spent most of day in my adjustable hospital bed.  Kept moving it to different positions.  Up for a while and then back to laying down, reading....nap.  Did take dog for short walk while DH did the rest of the chores.  Back to bed.  This is the cost of traveling and laboring for appointments.  Blech!  

MtRider  :offtobed:

:hug3: Mt. Rider. You've had a couple of bad weeks with doctor visits lately. Hopefully they have all the info they need!

My cousin who has Parkinson's has one of those rollators. He really likes it a lot. He can use it like a walker with wheels and it has hand brakes. It also has a little basket attached so he can carry his water bottle etc. If he gets too tired or off balance he can turn it around and sit on it. Also his wife can push him while he sits on it if need be.

A lovely day today with the high at 73 degrees. I got half of the yard mowed today. The other half is under water. Lots of rain here.

That sounds like a really rough trek for you, Mt. Rider!  That rollator that Jeepers mentioned sounds like a good idea for when you go out in the car.  Probably wouldn't do real well on uneven terrain or being pulled by a large dog!  LOL  Wait, maybe a harness?  Anyway, it sounds like it might save some of your energy at doc appts. 

Not much going on here, today.  Cooking chicken and burgers on the grill and making coleslaw, corn on the cob and fried summer squash.  And waiting for after the holiday for house paperwork to proceed.  It is supposed to be about 90 here today with humidity and 80 tomorrow with rain.

Have a good and reflective Memorial Day!

Thanks friends.  Nice to come here and chat about the hard stuff sometimes.  :grouphug:

Slept long and woke with no knot in my back.  :amen:  Assume I'll have very low energy again today -- "second day affect".  It's often worse than the first.  I'll have to feed tonite cuz DH is working today.  Yesterday was mostly cuz I flat-out-can't-sit-in-chairs.  This new-to-us car allows me to recline the seat nearly flat and I did that on the way home....fell asleep, even. 

I have always been purchasing "durable medical equipment" when I saw it in thrift stores in good shape.  Besides crutches in a couple of sizes, and a bedside commode, the only piece I haven't 'graduated' into using YET is the walker.  I believe it has wheels on the front.  Don't think it has a seat, tho I've seen those.  I did pick up a cloth thingie with pockets to tie on and have storage.  Might have picked up a tray for it too.  But so far, I don't have a use for that.  Someday may need it in my house.  Not there yet...only using quad cane in house when balance or muscles or stamina is bad.

I'm really beyond using a walker when I'm out in public.  A wheelchair is more appropriate for that and I do use my wheelchair as a walker.  I wish it had hand brakes so I could slow it...and me...down on hills when out on sidewalks, parking lots.  But wheelchair-as-walker is great....cuz I can set my stuff on the seat.  Then if I need to sit and rest, I move the stuff and sit.  :)  I've been using it for over 25 yrs like that when I need to.

What I need is a new(er) wheelchair.  The one I've been using since '93 is flat-wore-out.  Squeaks and creaks loudly.  Have replaced the tires once and these aren't holding air well.  That's the only reason we didn't bring that....knowing there could be 'mile-long' hallways in a medical bldg.  :rolleyes:    For short hallways, etc...I use the seat cane and second usual stick cane.  I walk faster, more efficiently with support on both sides.  Bilateral motion is always better for bi-pedal people. 

I definitely should have had my wheelchair to sit in...more comfortable than those waiting room chairs.  I NEED to remember that factor too.  Today my neck, shoulders, back, hips all feel like I slammed backwards to the ground a few times.  Feels all bruised and spasms...and I've only been awake less than a half hour.  Note to self:  do not sit in waiting room chairs!  OW!  Will spend most of this day sitting/reclining in bed too.  {grumble, grumble}

Yeppers....have body harness on Koa and indeed I DO ...and MUST....negotiate uneven terrain with her and/or ski pole.  [use old ski pole from garage sale cuz pointed tip more secure on sliding granite crumble].  I attach a mega-large carabiner on Koa's harness because she's just barely too short for me to hang on directly to her harness.  The slight bending over would kill me.  So carabine gives me 3 extra inches and I hang onto that in one hand and ski pole in other hand.  She provides some propulsion and a lot of balance/stability.  Only use that technique when I've got more road to travel to get back to truck than I have stamina. Hmmm ....that's called ERROR in judging how much OOMPH I have that time.  Koa is still 'back up' not 'primary' means of taking a walk.  Also use her to get UP our 14 steps to house.

Well....hopefully this is my last visit for a while.  :tapfoot: Docs all seem miffed when I don't go visit them regularly.  Iffen I got the energy, I'm choosing to go visit my elderly parents, for pete's sake!  I don't do ANYthing else with my alloted energy away from home!!!  Not gonna have them much longer, at their ages.  I quite jealously guard my away-from-home energy hours!!!!!   Not happy with others who would frivolously waste those hours for me.   :pout:

MtRider  ...rest and recovery phase....

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

Oh...Miki....you mean Koa pulling me in a 'wagon'?  Wheeled device...?  Wheee!  ...over hill and dale....  :scratchhead::lol: Yanno I've always wanted to train Big Dog or Koa to pull me on ice/snow with sled.  Never really tried training.  Big Dog could have on flat ...not hill.  But she was used to me beside her...not sitting on the sled.  LOL   I have ridden the sled with horse/duck food and water jug DOWN a snowed-in driveway with dog to the side....dancing in the deep snow.  A good time was had by all!  :happy0203: 

It is aMAZing....the different wheely devices they are creating for disabilities of all types.  My friend in MO has been using the kneeling wheelie device after foot surgery.  A long-ago friend used the newer type of rolling walker with seat.  She tired easily and had prosthetic foot.  [both due to cancer]  I love it that people are creating these hybrid devices so that any of us can chose what is appropriate for us .....and for the activity we have that day.  Honestly, it's like chosing your clothing for digging in the garden, attending a classy social event, going on a journey, or running out to the mailbox.  Different clothes, footwear, AND disability-assistant devices.  :hapydancsmil:

MtRider ....gonna hafta get me one of those neck/shoulder ice packs the PT got for me.  That worked VERY WELL!  :frozen:  :happy0203:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

Hoping your day of rest, completely refreshes you, Mt_Rider.

My sweet neighbor, asked for a dozen eggs.  Not a problem, I went in to get them.  When I returned to the fence, he said he had a present for me. 

Another cast iron pan for my collection!

:cele:

Pan1.jpg

Pan2.jpg

• Like 2

Mt. Rider, if Koa needs a new vest I can get you a service doge vest. They are designed especially for service dogs.

https://www.servicedogproject.org/product-page/dog-vests-red-or-blue-with-or-without-sd-patches-25-00-plus-7-00-shipping

Carlene just designed a new type of harness for large dogs and has the prototype available. They are extremely light weight and designed for her Danes comfort and especially for people with mobility issues.

https://www.servicedogproject.org/product-page/fuzzy-dog-harnesses

Ignore the prices. I can get them 'free' as some of us have a stash of them bought ahead and ready to be donated. If interested shoot me a PM.

• Like 1

After a batch of shots and then an epidural, I'm feeling a lot more mobile.  This is leg and lower back relief, not neck/shoulder/upper back relief.  But it's relief and that's GOOD.

Have spent bits of the day fiddling with my seed archive.  I really went overboard on the tomatoes and the winter squash.  :icon19:

DS1's computer crashed--apparently one of the very recent Dell update pushes erased a lot of his BIOS, and the only thing to do now is reload Win10.  Unfortunately, that means losing his copy of Office.  We have both had very bad luck with our bought-and-paid-for Office suites.  At least he got a year and a half of use out of his.  I got zero use from mine.

I'm getting a rising desk installed at work.  This is so exciting.  I'll be able to sit or stand, bringing my keyboard and monitor up or down with me, without spending five minutes shuffling equipment.  The fact the boss is willing to pay for it also makes me feel a lot more secure.  These past few years I've been real insecure.  That's why I spent some hours today working at the day job, and will do the same tomorrow.

The time has come to relocate, regardless of whether I can get a better (or even equal) place.  I've known it was time to uproot, and generally why, for some time.  The urge has strengthened in large steps over the past couple of months.  But today I got the wake-up call. I was checking stuff up by the front privacy fence when I heard some dog-walkers comment "They have a $%@&-load of food in that house. Patrick used to live there."  The chilling response?  "Mark that one to memory."  I dug up a folder and have stuffed my last two bank statements in it. I don't think I still have any older ones, but another should be here soon.  As I recall, trying to qualify for a mortgage took three months of bank statements.  Once I get a new place and get moved in, I'm hoping to sell this one for enough to wipe out the mortgage.  But I can't sell it until I clear it out, which requires someplace for the stuff to go to.  I would like to be settled by the end of the year.

House prices are more than double what they were last time I looked.  Land prices are more than triple, and you have to look way far out to get that.  And then there's the fact my back goes into hard spasms when I go down a dirt road now.  Found an amazing log cabin on five acres next to a blacktop, but it's farther than I can commute and means driving into the sun to get to and from work.  

• Like 1

Annarchy, that looks like a nice deep chicken fryer!  :thumbs:

Jeepers....that's a really cool offer.  DH and I are looking at the pics to see if they would work on Koa.  It would be nice to label her "Service Dog" in the chance that we I would have a problem while walking the road and someone would have to help.  She certainly IS my service dog but she is not a multi-purpose service dog.  With her temperment, she could not assist me if we went out in public.  But then, she IS multi-purpose because if I fall, she is so very capable of GUARDING me!  That is the nature of these breeds.  LOL   I'll get back to you.  :hugs3:

Ambergris...... :runcirclsmiley2: Oh good grief!  YES!  You definitely need to move.  How very VERY chilling!  ICK!  Will be praying that you find something ....and your body cooperates with sorting/moving.  Like mine, it will take a miracle and some loyal help to move.  As for your new sit/stand desk....wow!  I haven't heard of them but I do that now.  I move my laptop from place to place and some places are standing.  Can't stay in one position very long....except recline.  Even then, I'm inching the hospital bed up/down every once in a while.   Anyway....despite your current health challenges --- you are definitely appreciated at your job!!  :cheer: Computer Woes....my less-than-year-old might have terminal issues.  At best, it should be under warranty.  ....but I didn't buy it and I'd hate to get my dad upset [he probably still has the warranty] ....I'd rather he never knew his gift was defective.  Isn't it always something with computers?  I feel your pain on that one, for sure.   

This is Day 3 after medical appointment.  I am improving....pain levels are moderate today.  :amen:  Still antsy....shifting position nearly constantly so I DON'T spasm.  But still taking it real easy.  :wacko:

MtRider  :pc_coffee:  

Any time Mt. Rider. Only issue will be time. They would have to send it to me and I'd send it to you. No problem at all really! It would probably just take a couple of weeks in transit.  :hug3:

Ambergris, that is a sure wake up call. Chilling. I'm glad you heard that conversation though. At least you know where you stand. Sending up prayers for a successful moving situation.  :pray:  

Mt. Rider, the computer is probably going to die soon.  If you invoke the warranty, you will probably end up with something useful longterm.  If you don't, you'll have a paperweight and no way to replace it, right?

I know where I stand.  Just not where to turn.

6 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Annarchy, that looks like a nice deep chicken fryer!  :thumbs:

3-4 inches deep!

And, 6 months ago, I saw him throwing out a pan and asked, 'what are you throwing out?'  He showed me a cast iron, frying pan that was very very aged.  I asked why?  He said it leaked.  After cleaning the 1/8th inch of aged, burnt on oil and stuff, I was amazed to figure out it is a lid!  IDK how old it is, but it seems to be old.  I'll look it up and post pics when I am done cleaning and seasoning it.

• Like 1

I know where I stand.  Just not where to turn.  

Now THAT, Ambergris, is very quoteable....... 

{is 'quoteable' a word?....'quote-worthy'? }

So Day 4....thot I could stop counting after three.  HMMMPH!  Getting good sleep.  KInda restless but always go right back to sleep.  Today I'm shaky/trembling.  Inside and outside.  When I get up to do any little stuff between sittting in hospital bed, I'm breaking out with sweat on my face.  Huh?  Kinda dizzy.  Yet not feeling ill.

This is not according to normal path towards recovery.  :tapfoot:     Had my protein.  :shrug:     So....I'll wait this out too.  Thot I might ride in later with DH and see my folks for a short visit.  Now...I think not.    

MtRider  ......but if I'm not up and about, I'm feeling MUCH BETTER!  :amen:

Feeding tonite was a nightmare.  I was sooooo dizzy I could barely stay upright with my ski pole.  Only had to do ducks [they all run inisde for food nicely] and horses [who also cooperated tonite].  Sat shaking inside truck cab waiting for old horse to finish off her 'groceries'.  Drove up back up driveway to house  just as DH & Koa returned.  Good thing my last request as they left was....."bring home pizza for supper!"  :yum3:   Koa came home just in time to drag me up our steps.

Told DH that this does not fit with the usual MS stuff.  :scratchhead:  I don't have this type of severe DIZZY with MS.   It DOES feel like that persistent 'bug' DH and I kept getting rid of and coming back thru Feb/March this year.  Feel really really awful but other than super dizzy and huge weakness...nothing more specific.  That's what I felt like today.  Feeling some better now after pizza and resting this evening.  Shoot...if this persists, I just might go back to the new P.A. and see what she thinks about this.  DH did find an herbal formula that gets rid of it but....I'd like to know what it IS????

MtRider  .....now I'm confused.  :wacko:

Hmmm, inner ear........no, can't be.  Dizzy and 'lost in space' are two different things.  I get 'lost in space' with MS cuz we don't get feedbck along the nerves as to where feet/hands/fingers are in space...nor what position they are in.  This other sensation that I'm calling DIZZY...different critter.  If I were to lose inner ear functioning, I would be on the floor immediately.  When a blind person loses.....  Wait..... background:

Balance = vision + inner ear + proprioception.  {if I spelled the third one correctly - it is the data coming back from body telling brain where the parts are}

OK...you can have balance if you have at least 2 of those three.  I already don't have proprioception.  So like a blind person {has lost vision from this balance equation} has an infection and loses inner ear functioning = they cannot walk.  Maintaining balance is not possible. 

So if this would be inner ear.... :0327:  Seriously.  If someone turns out a light in a room {cut's off vision -it's happened a couple times} I begin falling over immediately.  CanNOT tell which way is up.  :o  Mainly I either freeze in place and hope I can discern some bit of light quickly.....or I go immediately down and 'grab carpet'.

So that a biology/physiology lesson for today.  :lol:  I'm probably the only person who gets curious about these bits of data... :rolleyes:

Day 5......NOT DIZZY at all!   :amen:  :amen:   I'm still gonna be a bit disturbed as to WHAT that was yesterday....I like figuring out answers to anomolies!!!  Today I'm okay....but still more 'fragile' than normal.  Fatigue....emotions....frustration levels...cognitive is sluggish. 

Which means it was a lousy day to try to push thru this issue that caused all this:  The Life Ins. disability paperwork.  But....I'm running closer to my second deadline.  Ultimately, I was nearly in tears [which does NOT HAPPEN] while trying to get computer to let DH and I see MY records [the P.T.'s report...this is why they computerize it...available to us!]  Then calling my local clinic to figure out what to do with the P.T. report that is STILL not an M.D. signature and the Life Ins. papers are not filled out.  So I also put a call into the Life Ins disability guy.  Then waited.  Got the call back from my clinic first. 

She was so VERY VERY patient.  [Course...I solved her 'this number is disconnected' mystery]  So going the long way around to explain everything [I need an editor normally but today was ridiculous...groan!]..  Then had her tell everything we'd deduced to DH ...put her on speaker...cuz my brain would blank out as soon as I hung up.  [this was a horrid day to attempt this!]  So DH and I are going to drive to clinic tomorrow with the Life Ins papers.  They'll fill out the simple stuff like diagnosis, etc.  They will also attach a copy of the P.T. report.  She pulled up that report while we talked and printed it.....so that's done. 

Then I got a call from Life Ins guy....who has also been very kind when I've talked to him.  I described how I'd gone to clinic only to have P.A. tell me she absolutely cannot fill out those papers...hasn't been trained....never done one.  How we'd taken a THREE HOUR round trip to get a P.T. evaluation.....and he also could not fill out all of the three pages.  P.T. chose to do his usual evaluation and send it back to my clinic.  Explained to this non-medical person about rural clinics running without an M.D. in place and that medical care is now so specialized it would take even more visits to fill in all the pages.  He said "no....don't do that.  The P.T. eval will be fine."  :amen: I think he was kinda horrified at what I'd been thru for this "formality".  Good....he needs to know what this costs some of us.  But he's nice and I tried not to be hysterical. 

Ugh, I ALWAYS try not to be hysterical but we're still dealing with my laptop not working consistently...switched to DH's laptop...still trying to get to see the P.T. report.  We did get the report up but DH got knocked off when he tried to download the report to our computer.  Also nothing worked after MANY tries when he tried to print to our printer.  :runcirclsmiley2::banghead::cheeky-smiley-067:   And it got even MORE fun when I called in their tech support for their site.  Following his directions with our very  s l o w  Internet, I told DH "Yanno?  Driving over to the clinic and getting their copy would be a lot faster!"  :tapfoot:   I heard a snort of amusement from the tech guy.  Then he quickly said, "No, I'm not laughing at you".  I said "I'm not laughing either....but I'm stating a fact.  It's only 20 minutes away"  :rolleyes:

I like it when someone appreciates my irony!  <_<

But hey.....we did FINALLY get to view the P.T. report.  Guess what?  I'm disabled!  :shrug:

Plan D....clinic is expecting us tomorrow and Life Ins. guy will accept what we send. 

Please pray  :pray:  that the bridge doesn't wash out or the lions,tigers,bears don't circle the bldg or our car doesn'tget a flat half way there or......  :behindsofa:

I think I'm feeling a bit under SEIGE with this particular issue.  Ya THINK? 

MtRider  ....almost normal again but not quite....  :grouphug:

Geez, Mt. Rider!  I hope your paperwork woes are over soon and with less hair pulling than Jeepers!  Sounds like you are both having the health care woes! 

I took a couple more (they always need a couple more) pieces of paper to the bank this morning and went to the post office.  Found out this afternoon that the bank has ordered the appraisal.  I think that's a good thing.  Now wait a week or more to find out what is next.  Moving forward, I think!