MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whatcha doing today?

MM, I have learned the value of de-cluttering and organizing the hard way. What a mess I made for myself. Do it while it's easier on you.

I can't carry all of my groceries in at one time any more either. I can usually manage two bags with enough energy to put the cold/frozen stuff away. But that's it. The rest stays in the Jeep until the next time I come in the house.  

Congrats on your chicken score! Awesome find! And yes, I have bought things knowing darn good and well I don't have room for it. But somehow I always seem to make it fit. Even if I have to do some fast cooking and have a couple of 'interesting' meals for a night or two. 

You are going to have chicken coming out of your ears. A good situation to be in. :feedme:

• Like 4

MidnightMom, that was a great find. I would have done the same thing. And if I couldn't get it all canned right then, I would have found room in the freezer for it.  I have done that myself when my chest freezer was overflowing. But I would find a way. I did that with beef. It took some doing but got it in the freezer. Now it is all canned up as I had been trying to empty that chest freezer for a while. 

Jeepers sound like you have everything in order.  I have a Trust Lawyer. DH and I did a trust several years ago.  Then later after he passed, I went to see the Trust Lawyer and had to redo my trust as DH was the one that would have taken care of everything if I wasn't able and I for him if he wasn't able to take care of things. Now I have it all set up with my daughter. I don't need to put her name on my bank accounts or anything as the trust will do that automatically. But next time she is here during the week I want to take her to the bank to put her name on the account in case I am in the hospital or something and can't write out checks for the bills then she can do that for me. 

So much to think about in our older age. The house will be sold and that money goes into the trust and the kids will get a monthly check from that and what is left from my retirement funds. So half to stepdaughter and half to daughter. No probate. My Stepdaughter became an issue when her mother passed and DH made some changes to protect me. So trust cannot be protested nor put in probate. On the other hand, if it was a will then that could go into probate. DH was right about what he did as the stepdaughter gave her mother and stepfather a really bad time of it just before her mother passed away. I won't say what happened but it made DH make some serious changes in our trust. It stopped her cold from doing to me what she did to her stepdad after her mother passed away.

And talking about organization, I have more boxes ready to go to goodwill. And I haven't even started on the 2 sheds yet. Seems there is always something else to go through and get rid of what I know I will never use again. Though now I have a box set up for anything GS can use when he gets his apt. 

He went to work this evening and was home an hour later. Seems they want to send some sort of form to the doctor showing what he is able to do. The letter wasn't good enough for his boss. He still gets dizzy so the doctor said no use of the machinery till he sees him on the 14th. What's to figure out? The letter was plain on the instructions. Though they have a new guy starting tomorrow so GS will be going in to train him. So at least both feet will be planted on the ground and not 20 ft or more in the air if he gets dizzy. I think he is getting to the end of this mess though he is still having to use the inhaler and he just finished the prednisone today. I am thinking the prednisone might be what was making him nauseous but not sure if it would make him dizzy or not.  The bronchitis was bad enough, but having mono on top of it didn't help. 

• Like 2

Littlesister, it sounds like you have your affairs in order too. The local attorney I'm going to was recommended by an attorney friend of mine as he is out of the country on vacation and I don't want to wait two months for him to return. This new one specializes in wills, trusts  and other retirement issues. She also specializes in senior care issues. She is expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. At least I hope so. I was just going to focus on getting the house set up but since I'm going to be paying her by the hour, I might as well get it all in. She is about five minutes from the hotel. There is no one else to fight over my assets. It all goes to my only child. I do want to make provisions for my grandson. I want him to get a big chunk of it. I just need advice on how to go about doing it. D-ex already has his college provided for and has a bank account already established for him, but I want to contribute too.  

Since I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands this summer I want to get my eyes checked out and dental too. My teeth have really shifted in my old-er age. They are getting closer together. I'm thinking one of those Invisalign things might be the answer. I had to wear one when I got my braces off when I was in my 40's. And I might be getting a cavity. Should probably see a dermatologist while I'm at it. My old one is right up the street from here. She must be pretty old by now though. Like I'm not. Sometimes I forget I'm already 70 until I weigh the cost against years left. What is worth it and what isn't. My doctor said I'm not allowed to think in those terms until I'm 90.  Whippersnapper.

One good thing I'll really miss about this area in Ohio is everything is so close by and I know my way around. 

• Like 5

Jeepers lawyers are never cheap. I have a good one and he knew just how to set mine up. It is very much like DH's dad was. He had things set up for DH's mother so she would be taken care of and then when she passed the house went to both boys and they decided instead of selling and splitting the money between them, they would rent the house out and open a special account to keep the money in for both maintenance on house and in case either of them had an emergency and needed some money to cover it. Otherwise, they each got a monthly check from the trust. The house was later sold and the money was then all divided up between them. Mine is set up like that. Except the house will be sold and the money goes into the trust. The money that is left when I pass will go to both daughters by way of a monthly check and then when both of them pass what's left of the money will go to each of the grandchildren. There are 5 of them and now one great-grandchild is on the way. That is how DH's dad set him up. So when Both DH and his brother passed, what was left of the money in trust was split between my Stepdaughter and DH's niece. It was a really good chunk of money for them to hopefully put up for retirement as I don't know that we will be able to depend on SS for much longer. I have heard things I am not happy about and hope it is only propaganda. I don't depend on SS anyway but it does come in handy for things. 

• Like 2

Food for thought….

If you have a life insurance policy, please, make sure the beneficiaries have your Soc sec # and are aware of the Company the policy is with.  

My dad didn’t…. only my sister got anything, (a lot!) because she got cancer & he made sure she got her share, before she passed.. he told his sister, my aunt, all the kids were covered as beneficiaries, but no one, of 4 children, living in his city,  went to the effort of finding out what insurance company, or even trying to get his SS#. My brother, who lives here in AZ,  & I, hit every road block, trying to prove I was his daughter & he was his son, just to get the death certificate.   We still haven’t received it….  We finally gave up after fighting for over a year…..    His current wife,  took everything, saying it was hers, estate sale pictures, shows the will on their bed, (I zoomed in on the pic, put on line by the estate ppl, and you could clearly read, “Will”, but she claimed he didn’t have one),  and she got a restraining order against all his family, sold all my grandparents heirlooms, (which I had real hard copy pics of), and she moved away, to live with her daughter in CO.

• Sad 7

That is terrible Annarchy. I feel so sad about that. But money can sure bring out the worst in people. Or rather the love of money.

So far I have everything on a couple of thumb drives. All of the pertinent information. Son has one and D-ex has one. D-ex knows where the external hard drive is that has all of my passwords and accounts information on it so he can take care of any unfinished business. He is the executor of the estate. He has a masters degree in business so he is good at those things. They are the only two and I trust with my life. Literally. Son knows the two banks I deal with and how to maintain the stock account. He knows he is on the TOD. So the money issue is settled. I just need to get the two houses involved and get grandson set up. Then I can breathe easier.

I'm still in the X-es will. He reminds me of it from time to time. It's easy to forget. Even though I know where to get the money and the account numbers, I will still probably have to jump through hoops to get it and pay a lot in taxes too. I need to revisit that situation. :unsure: 

That still makes me angry how your Ex-monster-in-law did you.   :angry:

• Like 4

I'm sorry that happened @Annarchy.  I have had similar issues with 2 relatives.  God takes care of us and will take care of those involved with the deceit, also.

Will walk first and then walk dogs, as I didn't do it yesterday.
Need to make hummus.
Clean out linen closet.
Figure out something to cook for dinner for next few days.
Easy day!

The massage was great! No pain so far. Scheduled one for next month, already.

Still one pup on the lamb! Rescue hopes to capture it today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 3/7/2023 at 2:24 PM, Midnightmom said:

we will raw pack some of those drumsticks into the pint & 1/2 jars

I have had to cut the leg bones, with a meat cleaver, to fit my jars.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I don’t consider it an issue anymore.  It is what it is.  I was just trying to warn anybody with a life insurance policy.  Just the SS# can get info on line. Laws have made it so they have to respond…all the companies were/are making bank, not having to pay death benefits.  So they get the premiums and never have to pay any beneficiary.

Today, brushed the dogs again, after yesterday’s bath.  Did laundry, and sent DH off with one of our board of directors to site in a new “toy”.  Worked on MIL’s room, my office, clearing stuff out and organizing it.  Worked on the pastel, because it has the be hung on the wall, so it doesn’t get touched, before it’s framed.  I’m finally down to the silhouettes of the buildings & trees.  🙄 I’m hoping to get more done, possibly finish it before I go and bring her here.  God willing.

You can only imagine how much hair has been removed from the dogs!  Gunner is short haired, but has as much shedding as Storm does.  Yikes!

Put my seeds for the garden out.  Need to harvest turnip greens, dig up the area, mulch & plant fava beans…may have to wait until after I bring mom back.  

Pulled more weeds, fed the birds, slow watered the pomegranate tree, watered the lawns, and re-covered the washer & dryer.  Supposed to be warmer tomorrow, but, more rain coming next week.  IDK, 

Time to call it a day….  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And it was a good warning too Annarchy! I happened to have talked to D-ex tonight and mentioned that I know he left me in as a beneficiary to one of his IRA's but I didn't know where it is parked or how to get to it. He said he would send me the info. I told him if he didn't and something happened to him, it would end up going to the state. That got his attention!  LOL  After all, he will be 76 this year. 

I always had beagles and it was amazing how much they shed twice a year. For a little short haired dog it was a lot. 

Hope things go smoothly bringing your D-MIL home. You have always been a good and faithful daughter to her. :hug3:

• Like 4

Today, I will walk and walk dogs.
Make Sesame Chicken in instant pot.
Help DH with video doc appt.
Bible study this evening.

Got another bag ready to donate from linen closet and moved some stuff from office in there.  (That was the plan)

• Like 3

Miki, glad they were able to catch the last pup. I am sure they will be able to find good homes for them. 

Ambergris, you are right about SS numbers. Though I thought it was funny that the only thing I needed to produce for DH's life insurance after he passed was a death certificate. But that one was the gas company where he worked. So maybe that was the difference. Either way, I would have both a death certificate and a SS# handy if and when the time comes. Also, I did have to have his SS# and a death certificate to have all of the retirement funds transferred into my name. 

This morning GS was up early. They found things he can do at work till he sees the doctor next Tuesday. He is still getting dizzy but it doesn't seem as bad. So hopefully the bronchitis is clearing up. He still has to use his inhaler at times but that also is slowing down. So hopefully he is getting near the end of this mess. 

I have had to use the wood stove for the past 2 days. Though during the middle of the day, I just let it die down a bit and then stoked it up and put another log on it for the evening. It has kept the gas bill down a lot. So it will work out great. The whole house has been a comfortable 72*. I normally keep the thermostat on 68* So the warmer temp. from the stove is comfortable for me. 

Made omelets for breakfast this morning for the 2 of us. It was nice to see GS eat as his appetite has been really bad since he has been sick. He is also now starting to get up earlier in the morning instead of one hour before going to work. Seems he may have had the momo for a long time before he got bronchitis. That might explain why he was sleeping so much. Maybe now he can get out and do things again since he is getting up earlier now. Hasn't even gone to the gym in 3 months.

Did some dusting, washed clothes, and mopped the kitchen and den floors. Other than that I haven't done much else. Though I think my thyroid is starting to come back down to normal limits now. Still do not have a lot of energy but more than I had. Hopefully, by the time I can start planting outside all of my energy will have come back. 

• Like 4

Wonderful news on the puppy Miki. 

I finally ventured out of THE ROOM today. I'm going brain numb watching Andy Griffith, Mama's Family and King of the Hill.  :D  I requested housekeeping so left them to do their thing. It had been awhile since I left. I went to the house and immediately went to the bed and fell asleep. LOL. Then went to the pharmacy and made a fool of myself. I thought I was out of all of my meds but it turned out I was only out of the vitamin D3 one. Sheesh.  Except for that one, I'm good til May. I'm going to cancel that one and just start buying it at the store. It might cost a tad bit more (not being on insurance) but it will be worth it to stock up a little bit. Assuming they sell 5,000 units. Also it doesn't come due the same time as my other meds so it gets confusing for me to remember. That doesn't take much. I'm also changing over to Tylenol since the dr. said to not take Ibuprofen. Don't know if it will work as well for me or not. I don't take it very often so it really isn't a big deal if I switch back to Advil. But I'm on kidney patrol. 

Will probably go to Wal-Mart tomorrow to get the meds as I need a couple of key rings for the new keys.  I also can't find the variety packs of cereal nor cucumbers. Or a paring knife. I've been to three places so far. Nada. I guess they still make those variety packs? They will be a nice breakfast change from the free burritos and egg muffin things in the lobby. They are good but not everyday good. They do have a cereal container but the bowls are small and I have bowls in the room. Those Corn Pops make a good snack. And the Sugar Smacks too.  :sEm_blush:  I usually stick with Cheerios but my taste buds...well you know.

I think the stores around here are going 'woke' too. I can't find a paring knife any place. The one here has the serrated edges and it makes it hard to peel cukes and tomatoes etc. Guess the stores are afraid someone will wield that paring knife at someone. Now days probably not so far fetched. 

I stopped in JoAnn Fabrics. I had four things on the list. They didn't have any of them. All quilting supplies. I guess I'll have to order from Amazon after all. Or make a four hour round trip to an Amish country quilt shop. Hummm, four hours + gas vs. overnight delivery. 

• Like 5

Not a lot today but did fix breakfast for GS and me and then stoked the fire to get it going again. Then cleaned up the kitchen. Was hoping it would warm up again but cold and was supposed to rain but only got a few drops and then nothing.  GS is off tomorrow so hoping to get to work on the garage again in the early morning and move some shelving around. I have 3 huge shelving units, but one still has to be put together. I want one for all paper products, one for all my water storage, and the other for my cleaning supplies and whatever else I need to store on that shelf. I want to get my indoor clothes lined up and set up. They roll out when you need them and then back in when you are done. I forget what you call them. I have one set up already but 3 more to hang up. Don't like what I have been hearing on the news so just trying to get all my ducks in a row. Don't want to keep putting things off and then it is too late to get things in order and fully organized. 

Got the clothes to put away and dusted the hardwood floors. 

• Like 3

Littlesister, retractable? That's rich, me being able to think of a word! :D

I didn't go to Wal-Mart today. It is snowing and I have a good parking spot close to the front door and I don't want to lose it. I miss my garage. Will probably stay in tomorrow too. I have stuff to do at the house Monday (which includes the bank) so I might as well wait until then. 

Odd, I'm not going any place yet I don't want to lose that prime parking spot. Someone's cheese might be slipping off her cracker. :hi:

That didn't take long. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh my word. Thank you! I just clicked on and a little cub was just waking up.  SQUEEEEE. 

Oh and another one is trying to eat it's face off. LOL.  They sure are lively. That momma is big. Especially since she is in hibernation. 

• Like 3

Awwwww. I thought they might be under a porch or something because of the lattice behind her. Some guest that would be.  Yikes.

There are a lot of animal cams out there but I forgot all about them. Thanks again for the nudge.  

I had it muted but I hear it now. Sweet.  :wub:

• Like 3

Thank you Jeepers, I just could not think of the word retractable. But that is what they are.  I think we all have those moments at some point in time. As the saying goes, you lose what you don't use. 

Love the bear cubs. They are under a deck with a camera on them. There was a clip of a man holding a cub and talking about them and it showed the bears and said they are under a deck. 

DD and SIL made a surprise trip today. So they spent the day and left just after 6 pm. So got nothing done today other than mop floors and clean GS's mess up he left me in the sink. Nothing new there. We had a late lunch. And while SIL was checking on his parents and helping them to pay their bills and took his mother to the grocery store. DD and I took off to a couple of shops. SIL's mother has dementia and his father has Alzheimer's. They can still live on their own but need help with bills and since they don't drive he comes in and takes her to the store. He has a neighbor that keeps checking on them and takes them to doctors and such.  So at least they have the help they need for now. It's hard to live in one state and have your aging parents living in another state. Guess I will be in that boat unless I decide to move to NC but who's to say SIL won't get transferred again? I am not going to keep pulling up and moving every time he gets transferred.  That is too much on us old folks. 

GS said he wants to go to church with me tomorrow. Guess I will see if I can drag him out of bed to go. He works tomorrow night.

• Like 4

I had a very messed up day....and yet it turned out ok.  But my brain just didn't want to engage.  I DID get the horse ride after I arrived a half hour late unintentionally.  Bless L for allowing that to happen.  Got pretty down about having my brain malfunction that badly.  HAD to nap when we got home.  Then woke to talk to 2 friends and Mom on phone for the rest of the late aft and evening.  Which is why I'm still up at 2am  .....or rather 3AM DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME.  Rats.  Wrapping up here soon.  Not setting alarms for tomorrow. 

I heard Denver on the National News.  They were at 50* today and dropped to ZERO DEGREES within an hour.  Strong weather front, indeed.  Expecting a LOT of snow tonite too.  We're not that close so we might be out of that scenario.  ??  My friend north of Twin Cities area might get blasted too.  Mpls was in the National news due to a WHOLE LOTTA SNOW hitting them tonite/tomorrow.  MN friend caught some minor 'bug' and is just today sounding/feeling a bit better.  But still has full cough/congestion going on.  She won't be going out anyway and has a snowplow guy.  Missouri friend called too.  They're also about to get blasted with rain and rain.  I gave Mom their weather forecast for northern Virginia.  RAIN and WIND.  Went over how she'd handle a power outtage if a tree was blown down on power lines.  They aren't the brunt of any system but that could happen.  Not to mention a GRson in University in CA....  Wave after wave of noteworthy weather out there.  Take care, Midnight and Dogmom!!  SE areas are having some "fun" too....and some places will have late FROST warnings ...I forget which day.  Not Florida tho. 

Most of the country is having some kind of WEATHER!  So stay safe out there, everyone!

MtRider   :offtobed: 

• Like 2

Seems everyone in a lot of states are having weather issues. I think we are lucky here. it is 46* here now but the wind has died down and we are supposed to have had rain this morning but was changed to this evening. Stayed home from Church this morning because it was so cold and my hands were hurting as well as my shoulder. Plus I needed to bring in more firewood before the rain hit. Was going to do that yesterday but with DD and SIL here I forgot about it. But GS got that in for me before he went to bed. He's working tonight. So I now have enough both in the house and garage to last me at least 3 or 4 days depending on the weather. 

Made omelets this morning on the wood stove.  I am learning how to cook a lot of things there. Baking is not as easy but I am learning new tricks for baking. Going to make a loaf of bread after afterwhile. That will go in the oven.

Tomorrow I hope to start back canning some meat from the freezer. Seems that job keeps getting put on the back burner. Going to get as much beef out as I can along with some more veggies to dehydrate. Will get the veggies in the dehydrator this evening and then put the beef in the fridge to thaw for tomorrow. So will have a busy early evening.  Tomorrow morning will be getting an early start. Not sure how much chicken I have left yet. But will be canning that if there is still enough to do it. 

Everyone that is having bad weather, stay safe, and let's hope spring will be here for all of us within the next couple of weeks. I am over the cold weather.  DD said this morning they had snow flurries. So far overall this year, we have had a mild winter though there were some very cold days. Though later in the year we will have hurricane season and I am praying that we don't have one this year. We have been so fortunate so far with that. 

• Like 2

Our weather is holding pretty steady. It has been close to 40's for awhile now. Could get blustery around the end of March into April though. At least my lawn guy is on tap for this summer. One less thing to think about. 

I think I'm getting another UTI...TMI. Figures. And I have no idea where my Cipro is. At least the doctors know not to give me penicillin. Of course I told them that before. Sigh. 

Something else I have discovered while in the hotel. When you lay propped up in the bed 24/7 you develop a permanent cow lick on the back of your head. I have long hair and I'm starting to resemble Woody Woodpecker. Even a shower, comb and hair dryer can't tame it. Probably where the UTI developed. Bed sores will probably start springing up next. Stay tuned. Yeah, I'm pitiful.   :D

My new look. 

image.jpeg 

• Sad 4

I've been off line for several days after accidentally hitting a link I was trying not to hit (twitchy/clumsy fingers) and having my computer go haywire.  Took a few days to get it scrubbed, and then a few more to figure out the reason I could not get back on this site.  I had to list it as an exception on my new antivirus.

But I'm back.  Yay.  

• Like 5