MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Becca… try… as my mom harped on me for years!  Yes, it works, but is slightly uncomfortable….

Hot shower, 15 minutes, or bath tub….mmmmm… then cold water…. Cooler than body temperature, 15 minutes….then, hot for 15 minutes…always end on hot.  I like to make a poultice, wrapped in cheesecloth….  Crushed clove, cayenne pepper, & peppermint.  (I like to add a touch of olive oil to help my skin…DH hates the slippery bathtub, now I just put some on my skin after my ‘therapy’). Let it diffuse in my hot tub bath…..rub the poultice on the hurtful areas, while I soak, then, a cool shower, (I don’t actually wait 15 minutes….brrrrrrr….), then, turn on the heat, until I warm back up.  

IDK, maybe that will help.  

• Like 5

My first thought was Mono. My son had it in high school. Actually half of the school had it. They all shared suckers and drinks and probably a lot of kisses too. I saw it. Guys would have a sucker in their mouth, take it out and give it to a 'lucky' girl and go play ball for awhile and return to the bench for the same sucker. Same thing in track and field. It was a thing.  :grinning-smiley-044:  Teenagers. I would have probably done the same thing way back then.  :sigh:

Littlesister that man-child is going to end up back on your couch forever if you don't put a stop to it.  

• Like 4

I know it's a pain in the rump to get tests, but be proud that your DH loves you enough to push you to get them done. :wub: 

Keep us posted.  :hug3:

Hope DH back heals up soon too. Sheesh, Becca_Anne's sore back, Mr Annarchy's popped something, Annarchy's really bad back and my sciatica is still screaming too. What a bunch we are. Couldn't you just visualize that reunion. A chiropractors dream come true. Better call Mt. Rider to give her DH a warning.

• Haha 4

:lol:   Jeepers, he'd probably show you his permanently bent fingers and get in line for adjustment for his back (2 anterior crushed vertebrae) too.  Yes, is it overworking on summer gardens/canning?  Y'all seem to be aching.  :pray:    'Course some of us are kinda full time with it.  But it gets worse and better.  Yʻall sound like WORSE is right now. :(  

GS back on your couch, LilSister.  I hope he doesnʻt spread mono to you!  Make sure youʻre eating right and take whatever precautions you do to stay healthy!  :pray:  That unhealthy one is a walking petri dish!

Glad your improvements on the chicken shed/etc seems to be working now, Becca Anne.  Itʻs so disheartening when you buy, raise, and finally get them laying and something has them for supper.  :motz_6:   Weʻre down to 4 ducks and one goose.  S/he looks so odd with all the ducks.  Like the ugly duckling.  But s/he (weʻll find out in the spring if we get eggs or not if itʻs M/F)  is more alert than the ducks...usually.  Donʻt know what got the other goose.  But they free-range in the day and have a huge pond for safety....if theyʻre bright enough to stay near it!  With wildlife, birds can be quite an investment and loss.  :( 

Annarchy, good that you know some techniques.  We all need to be less dependent on professionals unless itʻs necessary.  Good docs are hard to find...and keep....and get an appt. quickly.... {which is why I went to the ER for meds QUICK! to prevent it going into bronchitis} .... and expensive even with "insurance".  :buttercup:    And Troy Built is a steal!!!  :woohoo:  

I have no idea when I was on MrsS last but ....I'm barely coughing now.  The Z pack did the trick........and thank you ladies for reminding me right here to eat some yogurt and (even spell check can't spell 'fermented cabbage' = sourkr??) and pickles and whatever to replace what the antibiotics wiped out.  Just ate the last yogurt in the fridge right now. 

Bloomin' Olive Bread.....what is that, Miki?  Sounds good. 

DH has scrambled his schedule again.  Now heʻs working full time with 2 clients and has weekends off.  So I can mebbe catch a RIDE on Saturdays again in the ranchʻs off-season.  :sigh:   I hope heʻs not doing too much.  But for almost all my rehab and other appts, Iʻll have to get the senior rides into town.  Took their van today and it was raining hard.  2-3" of rain on the paved roads.  But thereʻs a portico (?) in front of the medical bldg. 

MtRider   :offtobed: 

• Like 5

I brought a book with me.  DH got me there an hour early!  :rolleyes:  

Household Encyclopedia.. Copyrighted 1953.  OMG…yup, cleaning, dusting daily, turn the bedding back, while serving breakfast…. It’s a classic….how to clean, just about anything.. My Mom’s ‘new’ book…back then….

Correct table settings….. (Hard to hold the book open to get the picture, lol)

IMG_8006.jpeg

And the only reason I brought the book, was because, all I ever see anymore is people on their phones, talking with people or surfing the net…. Yeah, I’m old school….I couldn’t believe how many people stared at me.  Lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I said above my GS was going on 21. I meant 22. 

Yes, I am sterilizing the whole house. Every room he has been in is getting sprayed down with Lysol and anything else I can think of. It's nice and cool outside so turning off air conditioning and opening windows to air out house as well. Dishes are getting sterilized in dishwasher. It has a sterilizing setting on it, and I am using it. Bleach is an understatement. I am going through that a lot as well. Cleaning the bathroom down with it, Kitchen sink, countertops and other things as well. Towel and washcloths are getting bleached also. When he came home early from work yesterday, he didn't go home but stayed here again. He needs to go home but he won't budge no matter what I say. I am over this. He has to go into the military Asap. but right now, I think they would turn him away with mono. So, we wait. He is hoping to be in bootcamp by the beginning of Dec. 

But on a better note, it's cool outside this morning and I am going to work in yard for most of it. Have already been working in garage. But want to get the weeding done in flower beds this morning as well. I came in to get my morning cup of JO. Started out in garage with no coffee so now I am drinking my coffee before going back outside. And again, I am dog sitting but neighbor's husband is still at home so will be awhile before I go let her out. That man works 7 days a week. Never hardly takes a break. He's a workaholic. He own's his own cement business and always has jobs lined up. One right after the other. 

As I clean house, I have noticed one thing. We used to have cords galore everywhere. The TV when it was on a TV stand would have loads of cords behind it making it very hard to dust behind the tv stand. The internet and stuff had cords everywhere. Since the construction, I did away with a lot of things and now no cords other than the TV being plugged in and that is now mounted on the wall. I switched the internet service and now the T-Mobil internet just has a box you can sit anywhere and just plug in. Nothing else to it. I am loving that it has made my life much easier to be able to dust without having to move all those cords around and dusting those as well.

I was going to GD's house today to help her with the baby's room getting clothes washed and things ready for when the baby comes. But now I am wondering if I should with GS and mono. I don't want her to get it. So might not go today. 

• Like 1

Already walked.
Will be pressure canning Sweet & Sour Venison today. Double recipe. Will see how it goes!  Will put recipe in Guerilla canning if requested.
I have two letters to write-well print out on laptop. No one could read them if I hand write them!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/558727897537096652/

I'm glad your chickens are happy and safe, Becca Anne!

Have a great weekend, you all!

• Like 2

Annarchy, they were probably wondering what that big thing in your hand was. :grinning-smiley-044: 

I love to read old books like that but...copyrighted in 1953! One year after I was born.  :24:

Littlesister, Son's are switching to T-Mobil too. Or at least they will when they get moved to their other house. DIL said all she did was to go in their store and they gave her a box already loaded and ready to plug in. No service man to go out or anything. Hope they like it. They say online that they don't cover my area out there but DIL told me that the sales person said that it usually says that online because they don't keep the website up to date. I'm hoping it will cover my area after all. I'm going to see the next time I go over there.

Also I bought them a cable box thing ('Super Box' for son's birthday) so they won't have to pay for cable anymore. It was expensive around $330. but no more cable bills. They enjoy a lot of TV.  It has all of the channels they like plus hundreds more. I will enjoy it too because I like to watch things from different places. It has Canadian channels. My only issue with it is it doesn't have Brit Box on it. I'm okay paying around $8.00 a month or $80.00 a year for that. I really like British TV. I might pay for Acorn for awhile. I don't watch much TV except in the winter.

I needed a new DVD player too. I got a very inexpensive one that will play DVD's from any country region. Once again...I like the British series. The thing is, if you buy DVD's from a different "region" than ours, it won't play on our "region 1" players. This DVD player will play DVD's from any region. Buying series from region 2 is nearly half the price as buying from our region 1 area. Well, I'm sure I made that clear as mud. Point was my DVD player will play any DVD from any region and the DVD's from other regions are a lot cheaper.  It won't play Blu Ray but I don't have any of those. 

• Like 2

Miki, I love for you to put the recipe down there. Let us know how it turns out because I've heard that some canned recipes with a lot of sugar can come out tasting burned? I think I heard it concerning a recipe from the The All New Ball Book Of Canning And Preserving. That might not be the right book. It might have been in the The Amish Canning Cookbook. My books are packed away right now so I'm not sure which. And I think it was chicken they were talking about. Anyway, I'd like your opinion because I'm looking for more one jar type meals.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Back is improving a bit today I can bend forward enough to get up off the couch now. But this morning I almost couldn't get out of bed! I can roll to my right just fine but it took an insane amount of effort to figure out how to roll to my left side so I could leverage myself out of bed. I was actually scared I couldn't get up. Thankfully I managed and once i got up and moving around and took a hot shower I have done better today less painful and possible to get off the couch without help. Will be putting a big pillow under me tonight though so I'm not 100% flat. Sorry to hear so many of you have back issues too. I am usually very limber and only tweak my back every 10 yrs or so in general but when I do it's always bad. 

Today I mostly read a book for my book group that meets tomorrow. I didn't enjoy it very much though. Well they all can't be winners or my cup of tea I guess! It's starting to feel more fall like here temps are down in the 50's at night and only low 80's in the daytime. I am enjoying opening the windows again!

• Like 2

Seems everyone is having back issues. I had to be different. It's my knee that I messed up over a month ago. Still giving me a fit. Just hope everyone's back issues heal up fast.  We don't need all that to happen these days. 

I am totally exhausted tonight. GS would not go home last night. Came home from work early and showed up at around 6:30 pm. I had the garage door open. My mistake. He just walked in and stayed overnight claiming he was just too tired to drive to Norfolk to his apartment. So, he popped his but on couch and stayed all night. About 9:pm he wanted me to order a pizza. NO not going to happen. He was not happy about it. Too bad. Answer is still NO. I gave him a pizza crust and told him to make one. We are not ordering food in this house. So today I had changed my plans on what I was going to do. I went outside and pulled out the pressure washer and pressure washed the patio and steps. I swear I took off 10 years of dirt and grime. GS got bored because I didn't stay in house with him. So now I am working on a plan to get him to go home. He wanted a frosty and came out to get me to buy a frosty for both of us. Again, the answer was NO. I refused to budge. So, he went back to his apartment. He best not show up tomorrow either. I will be going to church, and I took the remote to garage door back. So, he can't get into the house on his own. I might park the car at my neighbor's house tomorrow when I get home so if he decides to come by, I am hoping by not seeing my car in driveway he will think I am not home and leave. I must put a stop to this behavior. I really think he is also trying to get evicted from his apartment to move back into my house, so he won't have to pay rent. Not happening. I have enough cleaning up to do without cleaning up all the time behind him. I can't go through that again and just being here one night I am scrubbing down everything with bleach behind him. Too much extra work for me. 

I deep cleaned the kitchen after GS left to go home. What a mess he made in there. He is a 21-year-old slob, and I don't even want to see what his apartment looks like after living there a month. He doesn't have a dishwasher and has to wash dishes by hand. He won't even put his dirty dishes in my dishwasher. He leaves that for me. But he will put them in the sink and rinse them off. He only used 4 glasses and a coffee cup today. I think that was a record for him. 

Not sure what I will do after getting home from church tomorrow. Might try to get at least one pair of curtains made for one bathroom. Sewing machine is now set up, so I hope to get back into some sewing now. 

Oh yes. GS may have gotten mono from sharing his pipe for vaping. 

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Miki, I love for you to put the recipe down there. Let us know how it turns out because I've heard that some canned recipes with a lot of sugar can come out tasting burned? I think I heard it concerning a recipe from the The All New Ball Book Of Canning And Preserving. That might not be the right book. It might have been in the The Amish Canning Cookbook. My books are packed away right now so I'm not sure which. And I think it was chicken they were talking about. Anyway, I'd like your opinion because I'm looking for more one jar type meals.

I will  post it when I get on my laptop  tomorrow. And photos!

• Thanks 1

I have a set of service for 8 of china that I bought when we lived in Japan. Never used it one time in the 50 years I've had it. It's still up in my garage attic. Now I'll have to deal with getting it down out of there using the creaky pulldown steps. Will probably have to hire someone to go up there and get it down. It will go on the curb for free. Sigh.  I don't want it and I'm not hauling it around any more. Back in the 1970's most military people bought china and stereo equipment from the PX because it was so inexpensive. It was just what we did. I have some nickel 'silverware' up there too. I might keep that. It has zero value unless nickel suddenly becomes worth something. It's only good for flatware that needs polishing.  Not in my lifetime. 

• Like 3

I remember having to learn how to do that plate setting in home economics in school. I don't think they teach that anymore. 

Miki, I have decided that GS must be told no a lot. He texted me saying he's bored and wants to come over. I told him NO. He kept it up. Then he wanted the code for the garage door, and I said NO. So, I got this message from him. Yea I don't recommend getting an attitude with me. It will end badly for you. Told him he best not threaten me and he said that was his way of telling me to chill out. So, I win. He's not coming over because I know he will not leave till he goes to work tomorrow afternoon. I am putting my foot down harder on him. He will be learning to take orders before he even gets into boot camp. It will be good for him. And if he's so bored, I gave him two choices. Read his Bible or study for the hazmat test. He won't do either one but that's on him. I am questioning if he is really serious about going into the coast guard. 

But on a good note, I am enjoying my freedom today. Went to church this morning, came home and had lunch and just relaxing. Was going to make the bathroom curtains for main bathroom, but right now I am just enjoying the peace and quiet. Bible study is tonight at 4pm so will go for that as well. I have missed to much Church, and I need to get back into doing things in church again. I was very involved in the food ministry but had to give that up just before covid when DH took sick. Then covid hit and they shut down the churches. So, thinking about getting back into it again. DH and I both loved doing that. They are also looking for volunteers for the fall feastable, so might help out with that. It won't be till October 31st. Should be fun. Yes, I do want my freedom back. I miss doing things in church. So, GS will not continue to take over my life like he has been trying to do. I have had enough. 

I need to finish pressure washing the patio and then the front porch. From there I might go ahead, and pressure wash the house. It has never been pressure washed before, so will be nice to have it cleaned up and looking much better. It is supposed to be cooler this week. I hope so as I have lots of outdoor stuff to get done. Just have to make sure the door stays locked while I am outside incase GS decides to come over and sneak into house. 

• Like 1

I have his whole message on my phone. I saved it. This isn't the first time he has pulled this. But on the bright side, I have enjoyed a nice quiet day of not having to clean up behind him. There will be more NOs in his future. I am pushing for him to go into Coast Guard. He has already said he wants me to take over his bank account to pay his bills while in boot camp. Yeah, he will come out of boot camp broke as I pay off his bills with his money. Starting with his car. But then on the other hand, I am going to pass that job to his parents. 

• Like 1

We went to church today. We haven't been there for about 6 weeks. Next week is our church picnic. That should be nice. We went to Walmart after church so I could get some new underwear and other things. Underwear is almost $25 a package!! For the last 2 years I had been buying Lane Bryant underwear when they have good sales but have found that they get holes in them too easily.

We recently got a home equity loan and paid off our SUV and some other things. We have an appointment this week for a consultant to give us a quote for a whole house generator to be installed. Then with our all of our monthly bill savings, we are going to save and are eventually going to be getting new carpeting and remodeling one bathroom and putting a new tub/shower in the other one.

Our middle son has a job interview this week. Prayers appreciated. He really needs a job.

• Like 5

Hi Blessedhomemaker71.  :wave:

I've had the same issue with undies too. Both Hanes and Fruit of the Loom are so thin now and don't last very long. Sounds like we are on the same wave length when it comes to our house. I want to get an estimate for a whole house generator next summer and I also want to redo one of my bathrooms. I'd like to get rid of one of the small tubs in there and put in a jetted tub. I don't want a big one. Too hard to clean. Just a normal size tub. I don't need floor coverings but I'd like new kitchen countertops and my appliances are probably on their last legs. Always something, huh?

• Like 3

Busy morning. Walked and stopped at clinic for 6 month bloodwork.
Got home and fed dogs.
AC fellow came. The drain was clogged up so the system shut itself off. Yay! Cost $160 total.
Just switched ebay app with quickbooks new system.
Have medicare paperwork to fill out and 2 letters to write.
Laundry is almost done.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I have his whole message on my phone. I saved it. This isn't the first time he has pulled this. But on the bright side, I have enjoyed a nice quiet day of not having to clean up behind him. There will be more NOs in his future. I am pushing for him to go into Coast Guard. He has already said he wants me to take over his bank account to pay his bills while in boot camp. Yeah, he will come out of boot camp broke as I pay off his bills with his money. Starting with his car. But then on the other hand, I am going to pass that job to his parents. 

Once he gets out of basic training he can apply for a lower cost loan to refinance his car. He would also be eligible to get lower cost insurance for the vehicle.

• Like 3