MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WooHoo! I did it!

Vic303

Yes, that's right folks, I actually CANNED something today! bananabanana That's my first ever canning! I've got a Presto 1750 Pressure Canner, and I bought more supplies yesterday at the store (qt jars & new rings/lids for older jars I already had), and decided today was it.

I did have a chat with the Master Canner at Presto as I couldn't find a pressure process time for no-meat spaghetti sauce with fresh onion & garlic. She provided me with 11# @ 25min for quarts.

After getting everything set up, filled and heating, I did have to fiddle with the vent lock to get it seated as it wasn't seating fully to start with. As soon as I whacked it with a wooden spatula, it seated perfectly and I got all the pressure I needed.

Now I am just waiting for the jars to cool on the bread rack to check the seals. (wait,wait,wait...)

Anyway it was easier than I had ever thought, so I hope to be canning salsa and more stuff as my garden grows this summer.

--Vic

Go Girl!!It is fun!!! I want to seriously work on canning some meats, but have not got into the marathon thing lately. I want to get some meats stuck back with the prices going higher and higher. When you look at paying approx 1.00 for 5oz of canned meat, for preps, verses the amount of meat you can put back for your family, the home canning thing makes a lot of sense. Please keep us posted!!!

so now we need to include in our canning info to newbies.. if your canner has a seal and it isn't sealing "whack it with a wooden spoon" ????

oh too funny!

Hey Westie it was the pop-up lock vent thingy...not the main seal! Besides, it worked, didn't it? wink

Didn't your Momma teach you "If it's not working, give it a good bash! If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."

(there was about 2-3# pressure built up, but the vent lock wasn't seating fully so the pressure would not build up right. So I whacked it with the wooded spoon, which cause the pressure to release more rapidly for a second, clearing the vent seal and allowing it to seat & seal.)

ROFL!!!!

so did 'the Master Canner at Presto' tell you do use a spoon?

did you call them yet and tell them how to fix the problem?

ROFL!!!!

isn't canning fun? I just love it.. I want a small AA, maybe a 915 next.

something smaller then I already have just to do those onesy or twosy jars.

Westie, no, I talked to the Master Canner before I started. My info for the sauce did not include pressure canning times/pressures, only water bath info. I wanted to try pressure canning since eventually I plan to can stuff with meat in it. I wanted to learn the process on a more forgiving (acidic)product. She gave me the data for fresh made spaghetti sauce and it seems to have worked well.

Hmm...what to can next...??? :evilgrin:

Woo hoo! You've been bitten by the canning bug!

I did two batches (a whoping 15 1/2 pint jars!) of huckleberry jelly today!

Can't wait to can more! (I love the grammer in this forum! I can whatever I can can!!!!!)

Cool Vic!

(there should be a canning addicts forum somewhere on here)

Actually Annies Salsa that Dar did those online "classes" is an excellent salsa. Even my children like it and normally they wouldnt. (one likes flamethrower style)

Originally Posted By: jewlzm
Cool Vic!
(there should be a canning addicts forum somewhere on here)

Actually Annies Salsa that Dar did those online "classes" is an excellent salsa. Even my children like it and normally they wouldnt. (one likes flamethrower style)

Are these posted on the Mrs. S site? We love salsa here!
Stacy

dogmom, the salsa recipe should be a sticky in this forum. Just look for Annie's Salsa and that should give you the recipe. It really IS a great salsa...the best one I've ever home canned before.

Where did you find Huckleberries this time of year? I'm jealous, would love to make jam/jelly and we do have lots of Huckleberries on our place here, but leaves are just coming out as we speak. Good job!

Bought a big 21Qt enameled cook pot today at walmart, 12 narrow mouth qt jars, 2 packs of lids (narrow and wide mouth), and a pickling mix. If I can fashion a jar rack for the pot I can waterbath can in it.

Hi Vic, Does the rack from the Presto fit the 21 qt pot? If so, instant rack, or you can use a dish towel in the bottom of the pot...anything to keep the jars off the bottom.

I found the towels bubbles up due to air bubbles.. so instead I used small canning rings!

I think darlene just places the jars on the botton without a rack.

Originally Posted By: Pansy
Where did you find Huckleberries this time of year? I'm jealous, would love to make jam/jelly and we do have lots of Huckleberries on our place here, but leaves are just coming out as we speak. Good job!

My neighbor brought them up from Oregon when he went to visit his mom (actually, I guess he took them out of her freezer smile ) It was so much nicer to be making jelly in the winter with my propane stove than it the middle of summer!

Archived