MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Big Winter Freeze??

cookiejar

Okay!!

Who got caught up in it? Anyone's home state resembling a Tundra? How are you doing during this rough weather? Can I get a check in from my West, Midwest and Rockies folk or anyone in this big storms path?

Saw how bad it was on the weather channel and wonder how you all are?

22.gif10.gif3.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing fairly steady here in the North East Woods. Just a little up the coastline from ya CookieJar.

18 degrees and enough wind to have a chill factor of 8 degrees. Snow's not coming down so hard you can't see, but it's steady and piling up about an inch an hour so far.

All schools and colleges are cancelled. Roads look like Olympic luge runs out there.

You must have a wind chill of about 75 today where you are. How do you survive under those grueling conditions??

frozen

Snow here Saturday for about a half hour then turned to sleet and freezing rain. Covered EVERYTHING! Electricity out all over, some still have no electricity but thankfully ours came and went often enough that we could bring the temp up inside and kept the regrig and freezers from spoiling anything. Lost half the plants in my greenhouse last night when temps there plunged below 10 degrees.

Wind has been blowing nonstop since Saturday, sometimes gusting and sustaining up to forty miles an hour.

52 degrees inside this morning but over sixty now as the wood furnace catches up. All in all. Could have been worse but showed us a few holes in our preps, like,,,,Where in the heck did we put those twelve volt lights????? Found them an hour before the elect. came on first time. Found the packed away (for remodeling) lamp oil a half hour before the elect. came back on the second time and by the third time had everything running smoothly,,,,finally. Geesh!

Electricity was out again for several hours in the night last night probably due to switch overs and/or wind.

Calm, sunshine and warmer predicted for today. YEAH!

Somehow I believe this is just the start of it. Winter here is predicted to be warmer than normal but wetter than normal. Electrical lines are old and held together with baling wire, bubblegum and spit so I would imagine after this seige a small wind will bring them down.

The linemen who have been out for days and are still out deserve gold medals and a big mug of hot chocolate.

bighug all and big WARM bighug to all in the snow/cold/ice areas.

frozen

Well, I feel absolutely *lucky* after reading Mother's post!

Saturday we had snow, then rain, then ice, but by morning it was in the 40s and everything was melted. No power outages this time. clap

I made sure I was prepared ahead of time... I went grocery shopping Friday.

Now it's a bit snowy, but not terrible... not coming down any more, but we're expecting more. Just a dusting on the ground, and cold.

Ya just never know, when the Great Lakes affect your weather.

SueC, are you sure you have no snow?

bigsnowflake.gif

No snow here either. Although for the past 2 nights we have had a freeze warning. had to pull up my last bell pepper plant from my summer garden...can you believe it??? grin You guys stay warm and dry though...I'll be thinking of you... bighug

We're getting lake effect snow here. It's after four a.m. and the dogs woke me up insisting they wanted out. It's 22 degrees and there is at least a foot of snow on the swing in the yard and it's still coming down. I opened up the dampers on the wood stove a little bit and know where the kerosene lamps and matches are. I'm taking a flashlight back to bed with me. we'll be alright as long as The Father is watching over us. My husband has plenty of extra oxygen bottles in case the electric goes out. I need to fill the water filter and pitchers before going back to bed. GOD is good.

Well, on Sunday I left partly cloudy Orlando which was supposed to reach about 80 and landed in Michigan which had been under severe storm warnings. Don't really know exactly how much we got, but by the time we got home we had about 4 inches and it had been raining for some time. It was in the 30's but the wind was awful, so our wind chill was in the "teens".

We had rain this morning! Yes! Was beginning to get worried with no rain in so long... we also lost power for about an hour and a half this morning...first time in years....guess I shouldn't have made of fun of you guys yesterday.... smile

How are you folks in Washington doing? Saw on the news this morning an area called Centralia had severe flooding. You guys ok?

Sitting here with a nice warm cup of hot chocolate contemplating going out and investigating what lies under the pile of snow where my truck was parked. I see bits of red and silver peeking out so I suspect it's still there. I live right on the main road through town so the plow pushed a huge mound right up to the driver's door, so I'll get in the passenger side. I don't worry about the big snow bank because I have the magic lever inside that makes all four wheels go. I has never been stuck on me so I don't worry about it.

Lovely Slovak Wife just called, she's almost to work. She was in Eastern Maine at out other house when the storm hit and waited for the roads to clear a bit before starting over. It's a 92 mile journey through some bad places and it lived up to its reputation. She said the roads were horrible. She has a Pontiac Grand Am and its pretty good in snow, but the roads were still bad. She takes the Grand Am because it gets nearly 30 miles to the gallon and the truck doesn't get mileage it gets yardage. She's over the worst part of it though and will be back with me tonight.

All will be good in my world again.

Got about 10 inches of snow all together with a little more due later today. Mostly just blowing snow out there now making nice big drifts. Sun is out now so this first snow may be gone in a day or two until the ground freezes.

Hot Chocolate is gone and the truck is calling me.

Water, water, everywhere...

Not right here, but all around us there is flooding. We had lots of wind and 4 inches of rain in 24 hours. Living in Washington, you need to expect it. It rains on the mountain snow; it fills and over-fills the rivers; if you built in the wrong spot, it fills your house...

Originally Posted By: Lois
This storm went around us again, and headed for NY City.

I guess it decided to stop by here for a bit first?

WE ARE SNOWED IN!
the Library called to tell Lori to stay home. bow

about 20+ inches of snow on ground and more on the way. Down to the teens and windy too. BUT we still have power so that is good (so far).
Poor Michael has shoveled 3 times today (5am, 7am,2pm)just to keep the driveway open out to the road ( just get down and the plow cames and buries us )
but we are having fun doing a puzzle, cooking chili, playing games, going for a walk and just being home and warm.

Michael1

Were about 4 1/2 hours from amishway...Closer to NY city...We didn't get the lake effect snows. We got a dusting of snow and about 1/8 inch of ice with 45 mph winds. I went to pick up my dughter and I had to stop because the windows kept freezing up. That will teach me to warm up my truck before I take it out.

I live on top of a mountain so the wind howled all day and night. We Still have power and the wood stove is working hard. It was 10 degrees this morning.

The therometer said...Let me in...I crucken cold out here. frozen

Archived