MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did you can today?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

picked 40 pounds of pickle cucumbers this morning and now they are sitting in various states of brine and slated for several different types of pickles. (bread and butter, sandwich slice, and whole dill, sweet gherkins) I got sick of stuffing them into the crocks and diced up the remainder and will now go make this into relish. (was lucky enough to pick half bushel of sweet peppers and was given a small basket of onions)

All this is not from my garden. This is from the organic farm coop where after every member picks up their weekly package of veggies, they allow you to come pick your own for canning. So far, I am the only one who took advantage of this and the farmer has invited me back next week to pick green and wax beans! This is an answer to a prayer for me--it makes my membership in the farm waaaay worth it. (thanking God for this extra)

Originally Posted By: MamaTiger
I can always go back and can the blackberries and blueberries later if I have enough jars.

Mix the blackberries and blueberries half and half for a killer jam called "Black and Blue." It tastes like huckleberries!

My neighbor gave me a bunch of cherries, which I froze. When I took back his container, he hinted that he would really like some cherry sauce, similar to the strawberry sauce I gave him last year. He even had 3 quarts frozen and ready to be processed. How can you turn down a request like that?

I put up 9 half-pints of cherry sauce today. Tomorrow I'll make a recipe that calls for cocoa powder, coconut, and Kirsch with the cherries. Sounds yummy, doesn't it? He said I could split the stuff 50/50 so it's well worth the time - and the good will. darlene

Today I canned 7 quarts of veggie soup like the other day except I didn't put ground meat in this one. Told hubby that we usually have to open 2 jars when we cook for several of us anyway and I could open 1 jar with the meat and 1 without and mix them up. Plus I canned another 7 quarts of peas. Also have enough potatoes cubed to put into 9 pints tomorrow to can clap

7 pints of raspberry jam out of the canner just now...(was up at dawn picking them)

I canned 5 (12 oz.)jars of sweet pickle chips and 12 (12 oz.) jars of bread and butter pickles today. I started another bucket of

Violet's Sweet Pickle Chunks, also. I picked 32 eggplant and going to can it into pasta sauce tomorrow.

Thanks Jasminegirl! I'm going to bread what I don't make into pasta sauce.

Picked more blackberries tonight, but just made the chicks a cobbler. I've never seen so many blackberries, as this year.

I'll second being overrun with blackberries! Dang things need picked again lol. Did 7 quarts salsa yesterday and picked green beans. Need to can those today and pick and can some more purple hull peas and can those. Then it's out to the berry bushes this evening to pick more blackberries. Those will get frozen whole for pies and cobblers this winter. We also have to chop green peppers for the dehydrator today. I usually just freeze them but thought i would try the dehydrator this year and see how they turn out.

In other words...my next two or three days will be spent between the garden and the kitchen lol!

Q

Canned 14 quarts and 2 pints of green beans after snapping all those things. eek Froze 2 pints blueberries, 6 dozen chicken breasts (boneless/skinless we got on sale) and now DH is shelling a bushel of purple hull peas. I still have about a peck of okra to cut up and freeze yet too today. but i'm so sleepy now, don't know if I can get that done lol.

Q

Originally Posted By: quiltys41
I'll second being overrun with blackberries! Dang things need picked again lol. ...In other words...my next two or three days will be spent between the garden and the kitchen lol!

I hear you! Only in my case, it's Marionberries, a blackberry relative. That long, cool spring must have been perfect for the berries. I've up to my eyeballs in berries! It seems they all came on at once this year.

Today I put up 23 pints of Danish Cherry Sauce and Black Forest Macaroon Conserve, both recipes from the Ball 400 recipe preserving book. I also put up 8 pints of blueberry pie filling.

I've frozen all the rest of the blueberries and the Marionberries. And I have strawberries and more cherries in the freezer.

I'll pick even more Marionberries in the morning. frypan

And then there is the garden demanding my attention.

8 pints of sweet midgets....(I love, love these things...the ones in the store have corn syrup..home made don't!! YAY)

8 qts of hamburger, 12 pints...all seared cooked and processed today...I have two canners going...

I just realized why the new kitten is climbing all over me.... I smell like meat... ewww

BUT, the loveliness of having these on the shelves outweighs the momentary yuck.

Did 9 pints of creamed corn, 7 pints whole corn, 14 pints of Bread & Butter pickles, 3 quarts of Bread & Butter pickles, & zucchini in the dehydrator.

wormie

John

Archived