MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What did you can today?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Crazy4Canning

What are garlic scapes?

They're the tops of softneck garlics. Essentially, their flowers. Look like chives, taste like garlic. I pickled them. It will be my first time so I'm not sure if I do it again. I eat enough garlic that DH says it comes through my pores sometimes. Yum smile

I canning 7 Quarts vegetable soup with ground beef and 7 Quarts of green beans Saturday, 7 Quarts green beans Sunday night after church and 7 more Quarts today. So far this summer I have canned 139 Quarts of green beans, 21 Quarts peas, 7 Quarts soup, about a dozen jars blackberry jelly, and put enough blackberry and blueberry juice in freezer for at least another 2 dozen jars of jelly. Plus we have put enough corn on the cob for a year and about 1/2 dozen quart bags each of corn off the cob, peas, and butter beans out of my own garden. Have some eggplants to slice and coat with egg and flour and freeze tomorrow(never have put up eggplants at all and preacher's wife said they do theirs this way and they are like fresh). Time to go and do a little read to relax before I go to sleepy.

Today I canned 26 half pints of sweet pickle relish and 24 half pints of zucchini relish. I filled the dehydrator again, with sliced yellow squash and shredded zucchini. We picked another gallon of blackberries this evening and there are tons, still not even ripe. I have about five gallons of them in the freezer and will just spend a day canning them all, after I am done picking.

Jasminegirl..Do you peel the eggplants? I have about 30 plants and would like to bread some also. Thanks!

blueberry jam batch in the canner right now....Got too tired to do it yesterday and got up early to do it today!

Found a really great end-of-day deal a couple of days ago on about 6# of apricots for my gramma. They were too green to do much with right away, but I canned them this morning and ended up with 7 pints of fruit and 2 pints of apricot nectar. I'm giving gramma her apricots (the one thing she specifically requested!) and keeping the nectar! YUM!

blueberry syrup

blueberry jam

and now headed out to local farm in a few minutes for raspberry picking

Yesterday, made arrangements Friday morning to get free pickling cucubmers from cooperative farm. (Farmer said I could have what I want on Friday if I am willing to pick them myself!! and same for beans next week...I am SO there!!)

Hi y'all, I canned 6 qts of green beans, and 2 qts of wax beans, getting ready to do a batch of freezer corn, and 3qts, 2 pts of tomatoes. I've dried 2 bags of apples, 6 qts of mushrooms(we love em!) and getting ready to do some sun-dried tomatoes. I got a little worn out so put about 3 gallons of greenbeans in the freezer to do later. I enjoy doing all this but my hubby just sits back and says "why beat yourself up like that when you can just go to the store rollingeyes" He doesn't understand the enjoyment and satisfaction I get out of doing this. It's such a feeling of fulfillment. BUT, there are times I feel like the little red hen. Like when I walk in the door after a wonderful 8-hour day working with stupid people and he says "Honey, you got some tomats and beans that are ready for picking. brickwall" Why didn't he just pick that the stuff? I'll never understand....... Take care, Reb

8 half-pints of marmalade, plus an extra whole pint I didn't have jars or lids ready for -- so that's in the fridge. We'll just have to eat it right away. Oh the sacrifices we make ;-)

I almost forgot, I put another 1/2 gallon of black raspberries in the freezer this morning. I think while DH and I are picking we eat as many as we end up freezing. My but they're good, warm and sweet right of the bushes.

13 pints of purple hull peas and got another batch of salsa mixed up and in the fridge marinating. happy02 I'll get that canned up tomorrow. Not sure what's next after that...may be pumpkin!

Q

Archived