MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 7

Cat

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the weekend I put up 6 pints of sausage as a test run. We gave it a taste test and liked it just fine and think it will make some really good sausage gravy so now I can move forward with the remaining 6#'s I got on sale that are in the freezer. Also, we have beef on sale again this week so I'll be doing some more beef.

Turkey soup from the 40 cents a pound turkey at Wal Mart. Chili from ground beef I just bought at $2.49 lb, not a good price, just average around here.

I had decided to stop canning anything else for a while, but with everything going on, I can't stop.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I baked our Thanksgiving turkey-in two shifts. Tiny RV oven means cutting turkey up and baking in two pans. Today I canned most of the turkey and broth. Have seven pints of turkey with broth and three pints of broth. Everything sealed. I always think there should be more but with zero freezer room I am glad to be able to can up any leftovers.

That is so cool about the Sweet Potatoes GettinReady! I don't know why I haven't thought about that.

I did a search and found this good page about canning Yams...I'm definitely going to try this in the near future.

http://www.pickyourown.org/canning_sweetpotato.htm

As for what I've canned lately, this weekend I focused on meats. I did 11 quarts total of Chicken Tenders, Smoked Turkey, Seasoned Ground Beef and Beef Stew Meat.

I haven't done much canning lately, I used up all of my jars (over 1000) and needed to wait until we ate some stuff up. I have close to 200 empty now, I will probally do some dry beans and soup with leftover ham after Christmas. I would like to do more meat since I have one and a half chest freezers full (we raise our own) of beef, pork and chicken. But I haven't been able to get the family to like it yet and have a hard time sneaking it into recipes, although they have eaten a lot of canned hamburger in chili without knowing it.LOL One thing that I am looking into getting is a double propane burner set, that way if power would go out for an extended period of time I could quickly can up all of the meat from the freezer before it would spoil. I need to make sure I keep enough LP gas on hand also. I may look into getting a bigger cylinder for that since I just have 3 of the gas grill size ones now and I am not sure how much gas you would use to process a canner load of meat.

Today I canned 14 pints of pork and beans (Ball book recipe) and 13 pints and 1 half pint of ham and bean soup, Ball recipe also but slightly modified. For the soup I used 2 bags of 15 bean mix, 1 diced onion, 2 finely diced carrots, about 1/2 a celery bunch and a ham bone. Gotta use those bits and pieces of veggies somewhere...........Pigzzilla

That is so cool about the Sweet Potatoes GettinReady! I don't know why I haven't thought about that.

I did a search and found this good page about canning Yams...I'm definitely going to try this in the near future.

http://www.pickyourown.org/canning_sweetpotato.htm

As for what I've canned lately, this weekend I focused on meats. I did 11 quarts total of Chicken Tenders, Smoked Turkey, Seasoned Ground Beef and Beef Stew Meat.

The first time I canned them I diced them. Was only able to get 6#'s in to 16 pint jars. This last batch I cut in to "fingers" and hand shoved them in to each jar. I was able to get 7 1/2 #'s in to the 16 pints and it took two batches of syrup. Go with the fingers. Takes longer but you can get more in the jars :P

Today I finished up the asparagus. Had 6 or 7 pounds left so I got another 16 pints sparagus soup and 7 half pints of tips. Also 18 pints of corn-potato chowder. Then at my DD's request I made 17 half pints of dried cranberry-apple cinnamon relish. She's sneaky..."Mom, we're having this thing at work and I'm supposed to bring something homemade and I sure love that cranberry thing you do"..This time I'm keeping some for ME......Why are we such suckers for MOMMMMMM? Awhile back she talked me into making 12 of those little 4oz jars of roasted red peppers for her.

Oh well, my feet hurt and the Old Guy is watching football and switching channels over to a basketball game and back to football. Making me dizzy!................Pigzzilla

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today I started cleaning up the freezer and found 3 packages of beef soup bones and a pack of stew meat that DH bought while I was out of town. Surprise, he wants beef and barley soup. Sooo, I made soup. Cleaned out some odds & ends in the fridge too. I made a beefy-veggie soup and before jarring it up, took some out for dinner. I cooked up some barley and added it to the dinner soup. So I ended up with 14 quarts of soup and 14 pints of broth/stock.

I just LOVE it when the jars sing the "ping-ping song"..............Pigzzilla

Catsup, 4 jars of them.

Good canning jars are hard to come by. Will have to get them in Germany where canning is done more often in the rural parts.

Last night I cooked a large pork shoulder. Today I shredded up about 3/4 of the leftovers. I filled 9 half-pints with shredded meat then added 2 spoons of our favorite bbq sauce to each jar.

I also had a large beef chunk that was already sliced, the store calls it carne asada sliced beef. So I trimmed what little fat was there and raw packed it in pints. got 9 of those to add to the pantry.......Pigzzilla

Recently I read where someone had canned Mire Poix- the mixture of carrots, celery and onion- and thought that sounds like a good project. Since I had those on hand to do 'something' with, I started chopping. And I also had a red and a green bell pepper,tossed those in too. Kinda a cross between mire poix and cajun trinity. Anyway, I ended up with 15 pints.

Archived