MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My Sister's Trials

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so very much for your prayers for her.

Tho I could hardly understand her when she called yesterday, due to the sores in her mouth, she said the Doctors found she had an infection and started an antibiotic drip and suggested if they can get that under control, she may be able to go home Wednesday.

• 2 months later...

December's treatment, put her in the hospital again, severely ill. She spent an additional week in the hospital receiving bone marrow treatments, before being sent home. At home, she continued to get worse, went to her Dr., spent more time in the hospital because the port they put in had a MRSA infection. That caused the Cancer Treatment Center to cancel her appointment for further treatments, until it was cleared up.

She went back the end of January. Returning home, this happened:

Jet returns to O'Hare after hitting bird

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/chi-jet-returns-to-ohare-after-possible-bird-strike-20120202,0,2736344.story?hoods=/neighborhood/kenwood/

A United Airlines flight taking off from O’Hare International Airport had to turn around after hitting a bird this afternoon, according to authorities.

United spokesman Charlie Hobart said a bird hit United flight 643 about 3:20 p.m. shortly after departing for Portland, Ore., causing the pilot to make the decision to turn around.

“The flight landed safely and without incident,’’ Hobart said.

None of its 134 passengers and five crew was injured and the aircraft was taken out of service while another airbus A320 took the passengers to their destination, Hobart said.

Chicago Fire Department spokesman Will Knight said crews had been called for a "stand-by" along the runway at the airport until the emergency was secured as of 4 p.m. and no injuries were reported.

Hobart said it was not known immediately what area of the aircraft the bird came in contact with and said maintenance crews are examining the plane.

The jet returned on runway 28, according to a recorded message from the Federal Aviation Adminitration's Elizabeth Isham Cory.

Her description was 'there was a large boom that took out one of the engines, the pilots circled so low over Lake Michigan she could see the ripples in the water. As soon as they landed, all the passengers applauded the pilots for landing safely.'

Soooo, she made it home safely and let me know, her diagnosis is horrible. The cancer has spread into her bones, liver and she has a large tumor in her lungs. They informed her, remission is not possible, but treatments may make her feel better.

Her DH will be unemployed by mid month, due to his age. The company he works for got bought out and they are replacing the older employees.

I do not know what else to say.

Edited by Annarchy

Oh dear, that is such hard news. There are no words to comfort, nothing to take away the pain.

Let us just hold your hand and wrap our arms around you, your sister and your families.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You all know I went up to visit her, 'cause I want to remember her alive, her smile, her giggle, her laugh.

They won't take her back to the Cancer Centers of America, because they say she is terminal. They will not replace her port for the chemo, for the same reasons. Her cancer spread to her liver, lungs, and bone marrow, fast acting crud. They gave her 5 months to live, last month. And to think, I actually asked her if she had a 'Bucket List". She laughed, and replied, "I've thought about it." :shakinghead:

We talk regularly, most of the time she tells me how painful it is, but, she is trying to keep a positive attitude. She also got to spend a few days with her grandchildren.

So, that is the up to date stuff she is dealing with. I know I will miss her, however, I also will be grateful when she is no longer in pain from the crud.

I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this!

I remember when the hospital told my cousin not to come back because she was terminal and there was nothing more they could do for her. She had kidney disease. It was a shock to be told that but in the long run, hospice was much better for her at home especially when it came to pain management.

I feel like you, as much as I love and miss her...I wouldn't wish her back here. It's still hard though. :hug3:

• 2 weeks later...

:sad-smiley-012:

I am so sorry. I know that the word "terminal" is one of the worst you can hear in a situation like this. Please let her know that we are praying for her in a mighty way here on Mrs. S....and of course, for you too, Annarchy.

• 2 months later...

I started this thread November 2010. I hoped for the best, they would remove the cancer and she would live on cancer free.

Over time, I have watched, prayed and continued to hope, even when she almost died from the "treatments" they administered.

Her DH called a couple of weeks ago and said he had talked with her hospice care giver, asking "How long do you think she has?" The answer was "Maybe a month." Her DH said they were not going to tell her because she is still trying to make plans for the summer, fall, and future.

Calling her is a challenge now, she sleeps most of the time and only wakes up to eat. Even at those times, she does not recognize/remember I have called.

:sad-smiley-012:

I hesitated to post because it breaks my heart and I could not find the words to say.

God gave me time with her I would otherwise never have had. Time to talk, laugh and cry together. Someday I will tell about the "desert of chocolate". A memory I will cherish.

I am sorry this is happening, but it is good you have good memories with her. Cherish that. Cancer is such a difficult thing to deal with. It is hard to accept, the deterioration going on so fast, but in time you will come to terms with it. It's ok to grieve. I know it's hard to switch gears this fast. Still, her heart knows it is you.

:hug3: