MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Not a good day here at the Homestead.............

Well the day STARTED out good as we headed over to Amish Friends to help with the Sugar House (maple syrup) as we had a few good days (warm days /cold nights) and the sap is running good.

Then when over to check out the new baby sheep and 'herd' them back into the barn.

WELL.......................................

As I bent over the pen (wooden fencing) to grab a small one that just wasn't finding 'mother' a large sheep came running by an spooked her and she pulled back as I had a fist full of lamb wool, holding her by the nap of her neck to 'steer' her home. Well baby lamb when one way, large sheep went that way and poor Michael got pulled into wood fencing.

I now have a few very bruised ribs!

I am OK if I don't breathe, try lying down (like sleeping), or cough.

Oh or that too - no laughing!

All wrapped up and having fun trying to keep going as best as I can. All I want to do is take a deep breathe without hurting so bad.

Was told to go home and take it easy for a bit as it 'may' be 3 to 6 weeks of 'healing'

Oh Great - Thanks Doc I NEED this right now with the gardens just starting, Tina's Greenhouse full of baby plants and US on fire watch all day Sunday! Thank Goodness it is NOT going to be Sunny today so maybe less watering as Lori can't reach the hanging pots to water and now I don't know if I will be able too? May have to take each one down, water, and rehang - Oh THAT sounds like fun - NOT!

Now up so we can head there by 5 am for the day ( and lost some sleep time as had to set clocks ahead).......................

Other then THAT things are good here!

Hope you are having a better weekend!

:AmishMichael2:

Ow that sounds painful. It is setting you back a fair bit work-wise.

How would you estimate this would influence you in a post-fall world? If you had to live from your garden and hunt?

What measures might need to be taken then?

Any herbal treatment that would soothe those ribs?

Sorry guys, I'm in full learning mode and trying to translate everything to a lesson.

Ouch Ouch Ouch Ouch! Poor Michael!! :AmishMichael2:

I'll be praying and you give your body a chance to heal! :pray:

As to Christy's question. A few weeks ago I had a fall and bummed up my shoulder. It still gives me grief. It was amazing how much that one particular injury changed my way of doing things. It made me think about how I would handle post -fall (I like that term Christy).

Feel better, Michael!! :bouquet:

Like Christy and Stephanie, I am also curious about what changes would have to be made to be able to carry on... One thing that I notice is that I no longer heal as quickly as I used to and lots of things just ache on a day to day basis. You and Lori have the unique situation of possibly being able to work outside of the home post-fall, either for money or for bartered items. Most of us would probably just be sticking close to home in that event. Still there are things like shoveling and chopping firewood to be considered...and in Michael's case, there is sheep wrangling to tend to!

Michael~ Take care of yourself and get as much rest as you can!!!

Interesting topic Christy and Stephanie brought up, maybe we should start it under are you really ready. How would you do things post injury? Do you have the medical supplies needed? Do you have the devices to assist you in that situation? Can you make your own aid devices? Just a thought:whistling:

((((((Michael)))))))

I hope you heal incredibly fast. :pray:

I did something to my back the day before yesterday and now I can hardly walk, sit, or move. Slow deliberate movements, blended with mind numbing pain. And I have a ton of work to do. :motz_6:

Michael--Annarchy, take care of yourselves. Rest for a few days and it will hopefully get better. It sounds like just moving is very painful

Robie--just remember laughter is good for the soul. It might be a cureall. Maybe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael and Annarchy! I hope you both heal quickly also!!!!!! When DH cracked his rib (dumpster diving for a box) last summer, he was working at a body shop. I taped him up good all around the one side and he went to work the next day. He wasn't much fun to be around but he wouldn't stay home. I think it took about 3 weeks till he was kind of normal again. I just kept taping him up. Just hang in there and try not to breathe or laugh--deep that is.

Michael, you still need to do at least three ultra-deep breaths every few hours, or you could get pneumonia in the lower lobes of your lungs. Get one of those girdles that goes up to the armpits and have Lori hook you into it. (Hide the cameras first.) The extra support will make breathing and coughing much less painful. Not sure about "that too," but if you're talking about fooling around, it's probably best--even with the girdle on for support--to refrain. You could print up some amusing little rain checks to issue, though.

Thanks guys!

Today is REST day for me!

I will try and answer most of the great questions you posted.

BUT first do you know how much you CAN'T do all bandaged up and in pain?

We still when to work to cover at the Greenhouse business on Sunday but boy every time I turned around to do something - I found I couldn't do it!

*Like chop firewood - so we used what was there for backup and plan to go back and make some this week (with help)

* even when I 'tried' to hold a watering can up to water it was too much - so I hooked up a hose to the water tank and got some done - Lori did the hard ones.

*when next door to check on the sap buckets - Well what do you know I can't lift them off the hooks - LORI HELP!

*Did you even try and 'pump water with a hand pump? Guess what IF you have bruised ribs AIN'T no way you are doing that to get water for even coffee!

*Don't eat meat that you have to cut up if you don't want to feel like a little kid and have your wife do it for you!

*Be ready to spend the days ahead not being able to do any of this for longer than 5 minutes: Sit in a chair, lay down to rest or sleep, walk far (50 yards to the outhouse), read a book, do any outside work like chop wood or garden, pick up ANYTHING!, even putting on my muck boots to go outside was a fun time.

NOW for when this happens to you:

YES , as stated, BREATHE - it hurts but if you don't your lungs can fill up and I am also told if you go to long taking short breathes your body gets used to it and the REST of your life you will have problems!

Take care that you HAVE stuff with you "Just in case" Seeing we always have the 'bob/first aide' kits in the van when it first happened I knew what to do. First thing was check out the ribs with my tuning folk to make sure they were not broken or crack? Maybe one is cracked but others just bruised after popping back in place.

ANOTHER thing is for the most part I don't take 'drugs' (did take a pain reliever aspirins) but nothing heavy (ha-ha) so my body might heal quicker as I work out every day to keep body strong (?) - YES we both take vitamins (one a day type) and lots of herbal teas so that helps too. But I am going this without pain killers so I can 'feel' when I have done enough work and need to rest.

*** Here is something you need to know IF you even hurt your ribs.....................

DON"T TELL PEOPLE! They have a great NEED to come up and HUG you to let you know that they are sorry for your pain? HELLO Bruised ribs here! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

OK I need to go and sit for a bit even all this typing is making me ouch!

*+*+* FORGET even THINKING you may get better if you have cats that sleep with you!!!!!!!

Every time I would just fall asleep one of the cats would climb up onto my stomack to check out if I was OK!

:sad-smiley-012: But I STILL love them ?

Today Lori goes to work at the Library for 4 hours! so we will see WHAT Michael can do on his own?

:laughkick:

Oh my. I hope you get to feeling better quickly. Ouch that sounds painful. It's very annoying not to be able to do things for yourself. I get told I *can't* do a lot of things being pregnant and it drives me crazy especially since I feel fine! I hope you heal well but take it easy for now. Think of it as a vacation lol.

Oh my. I hope you get to feeling better quickly. Ouch that sounds painful. It's very annoying not to be able to do things for yourself. I get told I *can't* do a lot of things being pregnant and it drives me crazy especially since I feel fine! I hope you heal well but take it easy for now. Think of it as a vacation lol.

I am SO GLAD I only have bruised ribs and NOT what you have ! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I will take the 3 to 6 weeks of feeling like I do and wish you well with your 9 MONTHS! :faint3:

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

I am so sorry about your ribs, Oldpine had his cracked several years ago, so I do understand. It is NOT fun at all.

Also, I understand not being able to do things for yourself, years ago, I had cracked a bone in my foot so was not to walk on it for several weeks. This was at Thanksgiving time. Talk about fun, try getting meals when you can't get around. So, yes, I sure understand. :)

As you/we get older, things happen and yes, it takes longer to heal. It really makes one stop and think about how lucky they are when they are well. :)

Hope you get better fast. :)

haveagooddaywithflowers.gifHUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gif

Here I am stuck at home again for the day and it is so nice outside (60+ and sunny) so I went out to check on the gardens...........

saw a weed and bent down to put it out- OUCH!

not good, so I went to sit on the bench and just watch the birds for a bit. Reached over the side to pick up my water bottle - Ouch again!

THIS is NOT fun!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness it is NOT planting time yet or I would be going NUTS!

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Tuning fork? How does that work?

I had posted about this somewhere on here but now I can't find it?

Anyway in the OLD DAYS when you had a farm out in the middle of nowhere (think Pioneers) and neighbor were miles away and the Doc was in town maybe a day’s trip away.

Everyone had tuning folks (those things you can hit on anything and then they hum so you can tune a fiddle or other stringed instruments?) in their medical bags.

If one of the kids fell or got kicked by a horse or (like me) got bagged into a pen fence and you thought it might be broken or cracked but no way to get to town or drive all day just to find out it was a bruised you took out the folk, hit it and put it on where you think the break / Crack is. IF it is- the Kid will scream in pain as the bone will vibrate (like mine did) IF it is just bruised then it will not vibrate and you can see by the smile on the face it is just humming and feeling fine.

How COOL is THAT!

You can buy one at any Music Store or even online and it makes no difference which pitch you get they all work.

Google it for more on this great Homestead Tool.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Archived