MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bread Making

I haven't been making bread lately, but I really want to get back to making my own bread. When I lived with my parents, I used to always make the dough in the bread maker and then put it in a loaf pan and bake it in the oven. I can't stand the awful crust and the shape a bread maker gives it.

But while I was looking around on amazon.com, I found a bread maker that makes horizontal loaves, problem is it's over $200! I was only looking for one to do the kneading for me, so I planned on just getting a cheap one from wal-mart. But after thinking about it, I kinda want to get this one... Zojirushi Bread Maker It has some great reviews. I wouldn't have to heat the oven up, and I would be more likely to make my own bread. Plus, with working full-time, school, and trying to keep up with house and farm chores I don't really have the time to stop and do the whole "jelly roll the dough part" (I am really picky, lol, I hate it when it's lopsided and that's the best way I have found to do it)

I can't really justify the cost for it though! So what do you guys do? Bread maker or no?

I'd love to have a breadmaker just to do dough but I intend to get it from a thrift shop for that purpose. I've just got too many other things I want to get to spend that kind of money on a breadmaker. However, it would be nice not to heat up the house!!! In my opinion, it depends on your financial and your time situation to justify the price. When reading reviews, keep in mind that Amazon is one site that MAY have "alleged paid for" reviews per FOX News yesterday.

I've had a Breadman bread machine for many years and I love it. Sometimes I use it to actually bake the bread but most times, I just use it to make dough. I do know that in a true emergency, I will likely only make no-knead varieties of bread because my hands have a few issues with kneading. Because of this, I stock a lot of yeast! I would second the recommendation that you look in a thrift store. I have seen many new or almost new bread machines there over the years for $10 or less!

I can't really justify the cost for it though! So what do you guys do? Bread maker or no?

For $200 find a good stand mixer on Ebay or the like and use that. I've heard good things about that brand but I don't like spending that sort of dough (heh) on a single-task item.

With a pizza stone and/or throwing a few ice cubes in a pan at the bottom of the oven you have a lot more control over the crust.

I have bought several bread machines for $10 to $15 at Goodwill. I have worn two out, one is set up right now, and I've given the others away. I love the machine. They do work a lot better if you catch it during the last rise and pull the paddle out, so you only have a little hole through the bottom few slices.

I never found a break maker that made a crust I could stand. They were all thick and tough. I wouldn't bother to bake with a bread maker, though I do use the dough function on mine. (It makes gread pizza crust dough!)

I agree with the suggestion about a stand mixer...I use the dough hook on mine to do my mixing and kneading for me, put the dough out on the counter and roll it into a ball (place in greased bowl and set aside for first rise). After the first rise, I put the dough out on the counter and divide the dough and shape the loaves, then place into the pans for the second rise before baking.

You will get a lot more bang for your buck with the mixer since it is capable of doing so many other things.

so I planned on just getting a cheap one from wal-mart.

I can't really justify the cost for it though! So what do you guys do?

Bread maker or no?

IF you REALLY want to save money - NEVER buy a 'new' bread maker!

They are so cheap at Thrift Shops and places like Goodwill (and they can use the money better then Wallyworld!)

Everyone get one at Holiday Time or when they THINK they want to make bread but then never do so you can get a 'brand new one' in a box or a slitly used one cheap!

"TRY" nad get one that still have the dorections as that will tell you IF you have all the pieces as well as a few recipes.

Good Luck - and get back to baking bread now thatfall is here !(well for some of us anyway. LOL)

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I never found a break maker that made a crust I could stand. They were all thick and tough. I wouldn't bother to bake with a bread maker, though I do use the dough function on mine. (It makes gread pizza crust dough!)

See I can't stand the crust either, and I'm thinking this one probably wouldn't be any better as far as crust goes. DH says he likes the thick crust, but I hate it :P I do really like the stand mixer idea though! I have wanted one for a long time, but I didn't think I would use it very much to justify the cost. (of course I was looking at the ones at Kohl's :blink: We had a gift card from the wedding, but had a hard time spending it cuz everything was so expensive!)

But I'd definitely use it for mixing dough.

Do ice cubes in a pan make the crust softer? I have always basted the crust with water to keep it from getting too hard, but that is difficult to keep up with without staring at it for an hour! lol I am picky about my crust :whistling:

I think I will start saving for a good stand mixer, and in the mean time keep an eye out at goodwill for a bread machine. Thanks guys! :D

P.S. I just had to add, WOW there are a lot of decently priced mixers on ebay!

A couple things make a nice crust.

1) Add milk. I just throw some instant nonfat dry milk when I put in the 'warm' water as an ingredient. I use about 1 TB dry milk for each 1 cup of water in the recipe. It mixes in easily, does not require scalding like fresh milk would. Fresh milk has enzymes that inhibit yeast; thats why so many old time recipes required scalded milk. It works wonders to make a good firm, dense yet fine textured bread, and increases nutrition.

2) Grease the hot loaves. As soon as I take my bread out, I remove it from the pans and spray each loaf with some spray-on fat (Pam or a clone). It looks like it would be greasy, but as the loaf sits on a rack to cool the fat is absorbed and the crust softens and stays soft. Mom used butter or margarine; Grandma used lard. I never found anything else that worked for a soft crust. Putting water or steam in the oven while baking just made a thicker crust for me, not a softer one.

Try those two things and see if your bread does not hold together better, and have a nicer crust. (I'm locally recognized as a 'good' bread baker from scratch.)

Honestly, I love the non-machine bread so much more. . . of course, as I work full time, I only make bread on the weekends, and not even every weekend, since I try to stay lo carb and the freezer fills pretty quickly with all the rolls and such that I store up. I just cannot stand machine bread, as much as I want to. I actually enjoy kneading out the week's worth of stress, getting my fingers all gooey. . . I suppose, however, if I was making more often I'd want a machine.

Or some other manner of robot, lol.

I have 2 breadmakers and considering another one from the thrift store. I'll start to make bread again once the winter sets in plus we're in transition of moving right now. My 2 breadmakers are in a sea container, awaiting to arrive here--then to find them when we unload!

I've never had a bread machine. I make a batch of dough, divide it into loaves, cook a loaf at a time, in my toaster oven. I am going to try cooking it in my BBQ when the weather cools a little more. I've learned how to cook without a real oven in my house.

Sorry I can not help you with your endeavor to find a bread machine.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm lazy. I use my bread machine for kneading but I never use the bread machine recipes anymore or even bread flour for that matter. Then I put it in my bread pans, let it rise, and bake. I also add dry powdered milk to my breads to up the protein content.

I've had one for yrs but got rid of the last one. Seems it takes up so much space and doesn't really save time or trouble. I let the dough start as a rather wet sponge and that develops the gluten. I punch it down after the first rise, let it rise again then stir in some more flour until I can start to handle it. I take out enough for a hoogie size roll at a time and dip the lump in flour as I knead and shape it in my hands. Dipping as often as required so it isn't too sticky. Then I put each roll on a sheet pan (cover the pan with the bran I sifted from the flour) and let the rolls rise before baking. I prefer to bake in the oven and the bread maker doesn't make enough dough to justify having the oven going so you need to run it 2-3 times when you bake. I can do a big bowl in less time.

I love seeing all the handy tips on how to soften the crusts. I have never used a bread machine and from what it sounds like the results are is that I really don't want to bother with something I was never interested in.

I did get so bad with pain and weakness in my hands though where I can see where that is a valid reason to get a bread machine, but I am managing the cause of the pain now and I am starting to be able to do things slowly with my hands and working on my arms as well. I have been needing more bread in my life as healthy as I can put together and its so much cheaper to do from scratch, especially as sticker shock is worse every time I walk in the store now.

I have my mix down for grain and king arthur whole wheat flour that I like and is so much better than anything I can buy commercially here at the local store and have figured out the oven ....

So I will stick with making it myself. In my kitchen my cupboards are not enough for basic stuff ( clearing some of them out .... and getting proper simple implements and replacing some horrid pans I have put up with one at a time to get better quality , solid ones each month through amazon now since they can go to my post office and its an easy enough walk in most weather.

There is a beauty to the making of bread from scratch and I can control what quality of ingredients and preservatives are minimal this way, as they really affect many of my conditions since I am sensitive to such things that never should be in food in the first place.

If one cannot make bread, muffins are really easy and can be very nutritionally based and lightweight even with heavier flours... I also found putting some gluten in is doubly benefitting because it raises the protein as well as the elasticity so its a great bit to add . ratios do matter and I know there are other ladies here who have figured out the science on bread. My estimates seem to work.

But the crust.... and my teeth right now til I can get that situation fixed really need soft crusts, thanks for the tips, ladies.

Maybe someone can pin that awesome post made long ago on how to make bread and all the particulars.

I especially appreciate the posting here on using a toaster oven because I was really thinking that would be helpful if my oven went out for some reason and an alternative depending on the care you take, a toaster oven is very versatile and does not take up much space in a small kitchen. It may be slower but is about as effective as a microwave if one loses the use of a microwave but still has electric power for the household.

for me adapting to circumstances I find myself in even in the kitchen really helps me be more comfortable but I need multipurpose items and it really doesn't take that much time to mix the dough and set it to rise, and not that much time to clean up. I am finding the less technical basically is more multipurpose and it saves alot of money I just don't have to spend anyway now. It also saves space and often is more manageable with such physical difficulties as I have.

They have some pretty fancy toaster ovens too that can make you coffee and fry an egg too even, btw , now out there on the market. Great for dorm situations. Or small kitchen spaces. Because I am singular living now I only have to feed myself and a toaster oven works because you can always make bread loaves , rounded on a flat pan in them and its also more portion control too, as I am less likely to cut off a too big a piece in the first place with a smaller loaf......

Yep, the things I think of when it comes to one or two things but it helps me discern whats most valuable and useful when I do..... consider many factors because I am faced with them I guess.

I would say go to a thrift store first.

I agree with arby, there are a lot of really great tips! So keep em coming if you have them :) I am going to have to print this page off. :D

I have a bread machine, but as a matter of pride I wanted to make it from scratch. Failed miserably the first go round and got an oven thermometer to find out my toaster oven was way off! Once I was able to get that settled it went better. I also bought 2 glass bread pans so I could see the whole loaf to tell if the bottom crust was toasted as well as the top. That was a big help. Gotta say I prefer my bread made by hand over the bread machine. I also use King Arthur flours and love them.

My neighbor is letting me read through her bread machine book called The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook, by Beth Hensperger. She's also known for her authorship of The Bread Bible, which is a James Beard Award Winner.

That said, I've learned a great deal about measuring ingredients and using a bread machine. I've forgotten that I can't dump this and that into the machine and expect fantastic results, and I've been using a bread machine for close to 15 years. :rolleyes:

Many of her 300 recipes start with the 'dough' setting and finish the bread in the oven. Each seems to have it's place. Since I enjoy the grinding of all the grains, and the fresh bread for countless uses, I'm keeping my machine humming and the house smelling heavenly.

Now that the weather has turned, I think I'll use the oven a bit more in the coming months to make bread and take the chill out of the homefront. :whistling:

Balance in all things. :feedme:

Made up some of that bread from the recipe I posted earlier. Like my spouse, my BFF cant keep away from that homemade, still warm bread either. Taking some over to a neighbor who is undergoing chemo so she can enjoy too. Have not made bread for a few years while DH was so sick. It sure was fun to be baking again, and the house smells like ....well....you know....

I am now more certain than ever that calling her to come live in the new house & split expenses was the right thing to do. Although I prep for a far bleaker future than she forsees, she is also a prepper and has good ideas. Not to mention an Army vet - that wonderful disciplined mind-set that the military trains into you is so refreshing in these days of sloppy-minded liberalism. (*gasp!* Did I actually SAY that???)

Do ice cubes in a pan make the crust softer? I have always basted the crust with water to keep it from getting too hard, but that is difficult to keep up with without staring at it for an hour! lol I am picky about my crust :whistling:

I think I will start saving for a good stand mixer, and in the mean time keep an eye out at goodwill for a bread machine. Thanks guys! :D

P.S. I just had to add, WOW there are a lot of decently priced mixers on ebay!

Oops, we're working off different assumptions of "ideal." I'm a fan of crispy crust baguettes and crusty crusted peasant loaves. Softer crust would be brushing with butter, or egg, or even a good bit of water. The ice cubes in the oven bit (or take a squirt gun to it :happy0203:) help get your bread "crusty."

Also be sure to get a heavier wattage mixer, especially if you're working with whole grains! Mark Bittman may say you can do baguette dough in a food processor, but I burnt out a couple motors trying. Whole grain dough might've made it explode :P So I imagine you could run into a similar issue with the lower wattage stand mixers...which may be great for cake or cookies...not so much for dough.

Mind you I use King Arthur's Sir Lancelot flour (ultra high gluten). My bread dough puts up a fight! :laughkick:

Mind you I use King Arthur's Sir Lancelot flour (ultra high gluten). My bread dough puts up a fight! :laughkick:

That's how you know it's good flour! Its worth the tussle. It also makes superior seitan. :thumbs:

Archived