MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

We didn’t go, DH woke up with a cold...  maybe tonight, we’ll see. 

Glad your nights are cool, MtR. It was 78 this morning around dawn.  

Did you you get the water fixed on your camper TheCG?

Miki, bet your pup loves the attention. 

I really like your walkway, Homesteader. Hopefully the worms will come. I spent several years adding worms, we didn’t use fishing, to my garden areas. With our heat, I generally, don’t see any in the summer.

Momo, how’s your DH doing? I hope better. 

Looking forward to hearing about We2’s gardens. 

Jeepers, have you started packing?

• Like 1

All the critters are fed. Double checked their waterers as it is predicted to be nasty hot today. With the high humidity it will not be a day to work outside much longer. Headed back out to work on the cherry trees. Need to get the nets off so I can harvest. Will be sunny today, in addition to the heat, so I plan to cook in the solar oven today. 

Getting a propane delivery today. That will be painfully expensive, as the tank is very low on gas and we will be getting it filled. We do that usually twice per year.

The rising cost of energy is another good reason to learn to bake in my solar oven! This prep item will, I hope, save some money in gas and electric use. I have watched a couple of You-Tube videos on baking with the solar ovens. My first experiment with the sourdough in the oven was OK, but the crust was not superb like what I can get in the kitchen oven, which I can get hotter. So, I will try a different technique today and see how the crust turns out. I am sure I can master this, but it will probably take some time.

Eventually, I want an outdoor bread/pizza oven. THAT would make AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL bread. :hapydancsmil:

The zucchini soup turned out really GOOD the other night, starting with a base of zucchini smoothie. I added a bit of chicken and a variety of veggies - mushrooms, carrots,  new potatoes, black beans, corn, celery, spinach, garlic and a couple handfuls of a variety fresh garden herbs.  Added a bit of salt and pepper and a little filtered water to thin it out a tad. I served with a dollop of sour cream on top. DH was skeptical of the creamy green soup, and had a small bowl. He went back for a bigger second helping, and when he does that, I know it is a hit. It paired nicely with fresh sourdough bread and butter. I think we have a new favorite. Anyhow, that was another great use for the hidden monster zucchini — we have had muffins, a Crockpot full of delicious soup and more in the freezer. We will be eating that for awhile!

Edited by Cowgirl
Oops
  • Like 5

I haven't started packing things up yet but tonight I'm going to start going through some closets and start pitching. I have a lot of good clothes that somehow shrunk :Blushing: so Salvation Army will get a major haul next week.

I went and had my blood sample taken today. She gave me a cookie. Awwww.

Then I went to get a Shingle shot at the pharmacy. Giant Eagle, CVS, Rite Aide, Discount Drug Mart and Walgreens...all out! Said they were on back order. One said to come back in two weeks. I don't know if my doctor office has them or not. They said to go to a pharmacy because it would be cheaper. Whatever. I didn't want the shot anyway but I want the Shingles even less. Especially now. Sent my poop on a stick in. :sHa_sarcasticlol:. Didn't think you could send bio hazard stuff in the mail? Speaking of which...my septic tank has been pumped.

Swung by the bank and ended up at the grocery store. It's only 70 degrees here but it feels so much hotter. It's hazy hot and very humid.

• Like 4

First thing this morning I made chili in the crockpot and then vacuumed out my jeep and swept the carport. Supposed to be 96 here in MS today so mostly done outside except for watering this evening and goat chores.  Will probably make some cornbread too.

• Like 1

:0327:  .....ugh!  This is Day Two after a visit in town with my folks.  [Day 2 + MS = wipe-out day]   I got up and got DH's lunch and half way thru fried egg sandwich making....I began to lose functioning in R side.  Arm/finger control/ leg.  NOT stroke stuff ....MS has always affected my R side worse so ...it's the first to go.  DH had to open things and such so he could eat.  Then he had to run in to motor vehicle and purchase tags before work today.

Y'see...the trip to town on Tuesday was ....eventful.  Sheeesh!  Was a hot day so I hesitated about going in.  My folks' house not A/C....but like here, their basement is plenty cool.  So off we went.  I got overheated just loading up stuff in the car!  DH had car's A/C going already but I grabbed for my Chilly Towel [already hydrated] and put ice pack on top of my head as we drove off.  :knary:   After a few miles, the A/C was adequate but I left the Chilly Towel around my neck.

Remember I'm sitting directly behind DH driving...to stay out of sunny side of car....and thankfully, less sway of car motion on our narrow, CURVY highway.  I see a westbound car squeezed off the road and driver is walking back eastward.  Suddenly DH hits the brakes and swerves...to avoid a bundle of something that evidently flew out of westbound's car.  It's in our eastbound lane but DH was able to squeeze around it.  That REALLY STARTLED me cuz I didn't see what was happening by the time DH was taking evasive action.  Aiieee.  MS nervous system doesn't like that!  :grinning-smiley-044:

Later the highway becomes four lanes....we're still eastbound in left lane.  Pickup truck suddenly leaps out to cross the highway in front of us.  Fortunately I saw this event begin and was braced-for-impact.  VERY fortunately, DH took all the evasive action he could or it would have been a T-bone crash.  He STOOD on the brakes and seeing that wasn't going to be enough, he swerved over to R lane [fortunately empty lane] to give idiot a bit more space to remove his hind end out of our way.  JUST. MISSED. COLLISION.  :pray: Speed limit is 50 mph right there.  MS nervous system REALLLLLY  didn't like that one!    :grinning-smiley-044:

Got to my folks and spent afternoon/evening with them.  Was hot in their house and my dad and I were struggling a bit to stay cool enough.  Fortunately, they had cloud cover so the temps were dropping slowly.  Spent time outside on their deck...much cooler than house. 

DH had to go do something and on his way back to folks'......A DEER JUMPED OUT IN FRONT OF HIS CAR!  Yes, he successfully evaded that collision tooooo!  :wacko:   Sheeesh, what a day!  But....no, not over yet.  He checked the tire that had been flat when he left work the night before.  He'd filled it with air and it had been holding.  But with 3 slam-on-brake incidents, some air was smooshed out.  So we went to his work and filled the tire again.  This time he was able to feel the embedded screw that was the problem.  But it held air for us to UNeventfully get home and to get him into the tire place the next morning.  He'd bought all 4 new tires at once and had a warranty.   Too much damage and they gave him a new tire instead of a repair.  :amen: 

After a day like that, and yesterday being so hot, I did try to minimize what I did.  Because trying to stay under the 'hyperthermia zone'  :knary:   is a physical struggle and expends energy too.    Have to watch cumulative affect.  So I guess it's no wonder I'm a bit wrecked today.  Thanking God for His protection on Tues.  What a crazy day!  :amen:

MtRider  ....hiding away with the swamp cooler! Partly cloudy/89* so far.  A rootbeer float day! :bev:

• Thanks 1

:0327:

Welllll.....we've been waiting......and today it happened.....

The first  :runcirclsmiley2:  of the Fire Season......

DH got a county alert that had words like DON'T WAIT - GET OUT NOW!

It had less than adequate words about:  WHO?....WHERE?....near US?

Commenced to screeching at the computer to : HURRRRRY UP AND LOAD THE DANGED MAP  :tapfoot:     .....so we could find out which area that is....IS IT CLOSE TO US OR NOT?  

WHEW.....not close.  It's over yonder.  And it's quite small  .....so far.  :pray:  for those that have had a hair-raising event today.

If any of you have gone thru a local, ...or worse, regional disaster, you know what I mean when I say: 

YA JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH RELIABLE DATA FAST ENOUGH

No one needs to start running around in 90* heat....getting stuff and animals into vehicles... when the danged fire is miles and miles and miles away.  If the fire's still growing a week from now...then might be our turn.  :pray:   Highly Unlikely given the terrain.   Considering this area's experience/expertise with wildfires,  every fire station in a 3 county area will be there to JUMP on this one.  {slight exaggeration}  Yet...CO has several fires still burning so we know that sometimes mighty action still does not put them out.   

WORSE NEWS....in this level of arid conditions, we're nearing the FOURTH OF JULY WEEKEND.  Camping.  Fireworks.  OUT OF STATE FOLKS who come from soggy environments and just DO NOT KNOW OUR FIRE DANGER. THEY DO NOT KNOW PROPER BEHAVIOR IN SEVERE FIRE DANGER.  All the fireworks shows have been canceled this year.  Sad but necessary.  Other activities that might spawn fires.....off-roading events might spawn fires, chain sawing, etc.  All canceled.  Illegal to smoke outside your own home right now.   ....waiting...waiting....monsoon season is nearly here. 

:sigh:  .....CO was a lot more fun when it rained EVERY afternoon at 4pm EXACTLY.  Usually thunderstorms, actually.  Sometimes violent thunderstorms.  But we did not have monster wildfires then.  A half hour or hour of storm/rain.  Then the sun came back out. B)   Everyone would go on with their activities for the pleasant evenings.  Camelot has changed.    :(

MtRider  :pc_coffee:    

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 2

Stay safe Mt. Rider. I've never lived around fires. Tornados are bad enough for me.

I wish fireworks were ban period. Or only professionals could buy them. I used to dread the 4th. of July and then my grandson was born on July 4th. so now I'm torn. Karma.  :grinning-smiley-044:

I just got the yard mowed. It was really too hot, 89, but it needed it again and it's going to be even hotter in the next few days. I'm going to U-Haul tomorrow and get some small boxes and paper to wrap up some breakables that I care about. Daunting. I've got a load of recycling paper stuff that I'll probably dump off tonight when it's cooler.

I'm hot and tired so I think I'll go to Subway for a spicy Italian. Last time they were $6.00 for a foot long and that lasted for two suppers. 

Have a great, safe weekend!

Oh @Mt_Rider that is concerning! I hope they get the fire put out and that the monsoon starts soon.

We had a somewhat similar data problem here recently. Our phones alerted about a tornado, telling us to take cover immediately. Our satellite internet was out, of course, as was our satellite TV. Therefore we scrambled to get the animals into shelter while we were trying to get the weather to load on our cell phones. Cell internet was painfully slow, probably also due to the storm. The twister, as it turned out, was quite a long way away, although the thunderstorm around us was intense. Good data is critical. I downloaded a new app that is supposed to give me more localized data on severe weather. And it should load faster, I HOPE. I hope this app will help the next time.

Good news, @Jeepers!!!!!!! Our well failed the test when we were buying this house. They were going to shock the well and re-test. Common around here. I said they could shock it to pass the test for the bank, but I wanted money for a filter, as clearly the water would eventually develop bacteria again. Thus, the house closing came with money for a black Berkey. Better to have good water, though!!! So that is great news!

I agree about wishing fireworks would be banned. Hate them. Hate the fear they cause in animals. Hate the risks they pose.

• Like 2
On 6/28/2018 at 8:10 AM, Annarchy said:

Did you you get the water fixed on your camper TheCG?

Nope. I think we need to look at it when we're at home, 'cause I just get too hot too day when we're out camping. 

• Sad 1

Hired a truck for Monday.  Hired two friends of sons.  The last of the stuff will be brought to Rosegard tomorrow.  Finally.

• Like 5

The insurance people moved the goalposts again.  Now they say no "brush" within 300 feet of the house.  They are talking about the azaleas (which were going anyway) and hollies and all.  Finally said I could have a few well-trimmed bushes.  Hm.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Wow, Ambergris, that’s nuts. Sounds like an HOA type of thing. 

Congratulations! TheCG, cheers!

Went grocery shopping, got everything put up, vacuum sealed and frozen. I’m beat.  Haven’t felt well all day, that’s life. 

Asked a WM employee to help me put a bag of dog food in my cart, she came over and said she couldn’t help because she was pregnant. *Sigh*. Did it myself, very slowly. 

• Sad 2

Dang Annarchy, she should have called someone to help you. Of course you'd probably still be waiting there. Sigh.

Ambergris, I'm seeing, first hand, how darn picky some of these places are. I'm surprised anyone passes inspections and qualifications these days. 

Speaking of inspections, the new home inspection was yesterday. There were some minor issues. When I say minor it was things like an interior door not closing properly, a shrub (yes one little one) too close to the house and things like that.  Nothing son can't fix in a day. BUT, there is a cracked something or other in the furnace that must be repaired or replaced and the air conditioner will need replaced soon. AC can't be repaired because they no longer make the coolant inside of it. Sooo...I told them if they replace the furnace I'll replace the air conditioner. AC still works fine but it's 20 years old and will need it sooner rather than later so might as well do it all at once and be done with it. Hot water heater failed too but it is just set too high at 130 degrees instead of 120.  :rolleyes:

As it stands, the only main issue is the furnace and whether they agree to replace it. If not... :shrug:

Son and DIL are nervous. They really love the place and want me to buy it. I think they are seeing inheritance in their future.  :grinning-smiley-044:

New bank called and want my last two months statements from my current bank. For the loan. I just made a trip over there last month and gave them all of that information for the pre-qualification. Naturally I don't have that info because I shred it every month. I'm waiting for an email so I can forward the info from point A to point B. Nothing ever goes smoothly. No wonder people are so overwhelmed these days. Big stress, medium stress and little stress all adds up on a person.

Buying a house + dealing with a realtor + inspection companies + banks + insurance companies = STRE$$

My blood work came back wonky. My pre-diabetes is getting too close to the real thing. I need to up the statin med  :sigh: and schedule an appointment for a consultation with the doctor. After the last visit, I really don't want too. But I will. I still haven't scheduled the mammogram. I can't find the paperwork to call. I probably shredded it too.

Another hot day here at 91 degrees. It stormed yesterday and it's getting dark out there now with thunder rolling in.

I'm just going to fry up a bologna sandwich, get some sweet tea (diabetes be damned) fire up a Kindle movie and listen to the storm. Will no doubt fall asleep. Maybe wake up in a better mood.

• Like 3

DS1 and the beau are going to tackle the greenery in the morning.  

The thing is, nobody actually wants to cover a house that's less than 20 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.  So they come up with reason after reason until either the buyer gives up or has made enough concessions that the bet is too good to miss.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Went to town with dh to get alfalfa and grain for goats,  did a little thrift shopping and went to lunch.  Happy Birthday to me!  Last year was a little depressing turning 60 but for whatever reason I am happy to turn 61!

• Like 3

:band:  HAPPY B-DAY MIKI  :band2:

Hot today.  Getting BORED hiding away from the heat every day....  And I NEVER get bored...  :sigh:  So after we fed tonite and it was nicely cooled down, DH drove us into the village.  Had to drive all over to find someplace open to get ice cream.  Finally ended up at the gas station and got ice cream bars.  :rolleyes:  Oh well....at least I got out.  First time in a week.

MtRider :knary:

• Like 3