MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Yeah. It is brutally hot here. April was record breaking cold and snow. May was record breaking dry. June was record breaking rain. Now we have unusual heat and it is bone dry.

I freaking hate climate change.

Thermometer is going UP today.....  :sigh:  Already hit 92*   but small clouds are knitting together.  Might have sun-blocking cloud cover soon. 

MtRider  ....hiding in my darkened cave again... 

I didn't get much done today. It was grandsons 2nd. birthday so we 'talked' on the phone for about a half an hour. He fell asleep and dad took over the phone. Dad's conversational phone skills were a little better. LOL.  We talked about this, that and the other for over two and a half hours. We do that sometimes, but I got nothing done. I didn't really mind though. Love my boys. Good thing we don't have to pay for long distance phone calls any more. 

I remember back in the olden days when we would travel someplace we would say to call home and let the phone ring twice and then hang up as a signal we arrived at our destination safely. Long distance was so expensive back then. No cell phones back then either. So if we didn't have a phone we would have to go to a phone booth to call. Sometimes I miss those days and the innocence we had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How is Mr. Momo doing?  Nothing is as unsettling as having your own body play nasty tricks on you.  :pray:

We got back from Alabama on Tuesday.  What a trip.  On again, off again, and we finally just went ahead and WENT, already.  Mary met her VA contact who is helping her write her disability application (his speciality).  He met her 2 yrs ago, and kept telling her he could help her get VA disability to help out her monthly cash flow.  She gets so little from SS that I actually list her as a dependent on my taxes, and has always felt bad about it.  I keep telling her, I don't CARE about who makes more or less money, as long as we have enough around to live like we want, BUT it would sure help to have more, and she would be tickled to death to be the one bringing it to the table.  Anyway, we traveled to Alabama and saw some friends there who just sold their house.  They are living in their RV until they find a place they like (they have put in an offer on one they like a lot, so I have high hopes for their success).  They are the couple that helped us move.  It was sooooo nice to see them again, and give the Mr a coffee cup we found that had his name all over it...it had a neat airline-wings type logo on it and said "RV Pilot".  Since he had been a pilot and was the main RV driver, it suited him to a tee - and he was tickled over it.  

The next day Mary went over to see the VA disability guy and spend 5 hours going over her mountains of evidence, making copies, and filling out forms.  Tomorrow (after the 4th of July) we will go to the post office and mail the HUGE (I swear it must be almost 3 pounds) packet to the proper place, and wait...anywhere from 30 days to 4 months for a decision.  Her friend thinks we will find out sooner, because we were careful to get medical records and documentation up the wazoo to present to the disability committee.  He thinks she might well get 100% disability, which would be nearly $3,000 a month, with a year's back pay (tax free).  It would certainly tickle her;  we will now 'hurry up and wait" in our most military manner, to see what will happen.  Those 5 hours I stayed in the motel room with the 6 dogs, running a nearly constant relay of walks and watching TV re-runs.  We got back Tuesday night, exhausted.  Cant do those long drives as easy as we used to.  But it should be worth it in the end.  

Wednesday we spent mostly cleaning up the mess the cats (and the #$&@%% parrot, who picked apart the TV remote) made while we were gone those 2 days.  Our friends fed them, but the parrot escaped from her cage while being fed, and could not be caught, nor did they pick the garden, so we had 3 huge bags of produce that had to be picked immediately upon returning.  I am trying to figure out what to do with all the cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini and green peppers that accumulated - Mary does not like fire and ice salad, which would be a natural.  I guess my doc will be getting a big veggie package!  We pulled out the veggies that were 'done' - the bush beans, the broccoli, etc, and replanted more bush beans and beets in their spaces. 

As for the TV, we are watching the one in the living room instead of the family room - it has its own remote, which we had hidden away.  Tomorrow after we post the VA disability application, we will call the satellite TV folks for a new remote.  The neighbor who loaned us his wood splitter is picking it up next week (he is taking down a couple trees and will be using it) but has promised we can use it in the fall to split more wood.  Life goes on down here on what I have come to think of as our prep-stead.  

• Like 3

@kappydell I hope Mary’s disability claim is granted soon. Just be aware that even if it is denied initially, it may well be awarded to her if she appeals.

My garden has gotten ahead of me even though I haven’t left home! It has been difficult for me to keep up with it in this HEAT. :canning:

Happy belated birthday Miki!!!

I sure hope the rest of this week goes better than the first few days.  It has been so hot with thunder storms scattered in the afternoon.  More like Florida weather.

DH had to got to the ER on Monday.  Spent about 8 hours there while they monitored his heart.  His heart is doing all kinds of crazy things but at least this time he didn't have an official heart attack . It really weighs on you, waiting for the next shoe to drop. He is really being a  pain to live with too, but I can't really blame him.

We managed to make a great 4th meal yesterday.  Smoked a rack of ribs and made mac & cheese, slaw and corn on the cob.  I really overdid it.  I got overheated and really wore out with all the excitement we've had lately.  No more big meal cooking for me anymore.

Sounds like you've been busy Kappydell.  I know I can't take the car trips as well as I used to.  It sounds like things are looking up for you.

Jeepers a friend of mine had to have her well tested to get a home loan.  She told me they added bleach to their water sample..lol..This was about 15 years back so I don't know if it would still work or not.

CG congrats on the job! 

Ambergris I have had alot of friends complain about insurance companies lately. So many normal things that they won't cover anymore.  One friend had to get rid of her German Shepherd to get coverage. We have had 3 German shepherds (all strays) and they were all sweethearts, so I don't understand that.

Have a great rest of the week ya'll!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

@Momo my heart goes out to you and Mr. Momo. 8 hours in the ER is no picnic in the park! Glad you had a nice Fourth dinner. 

Wow. We have German Shepherds. If one company won’t insure us because we have GSDs another will. I wouldn’t get rid of them. Fortunately there are still insurance companies that don’t care what animals you have.

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Like 1

:pray:   Praying for Mary's disability to go through quickly. As Cowgirl said, if it doesn't, don't give up. I knew some one who was denied two times before it finally went through. Maddening but well worth the perseverance. I think they plan on you giving up.

:pray:   Praying for Mr. and Mrs. Momo too. These are trying times for sure. Don't forget to take care of yourself too Momo. Take time out to just relax even if it's just for a few minutes.  :hug3:   

One place we used to live in decades ago put bleach in the well before it was tested too. Must be a common thing to do.  :rolleyes:

Here is a list of dogs insurance companies don't want to insure. Some will but it will cost a fortune to get the policy. I take exception with the Great Dane...of course. But I do understand it. They are very sweet and docile but they are also very big and can knock anyone down in a second. And keep you down.

• Pit Bull Terriers
  • Staffordshire Terriers
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Presa Canarios
  • Chows Chows
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Akitas
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • Mastiffs
  • Cane Corsos
  • Great Danes
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • Siberian Huskies

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, a storm system came through and it went from hotter than blazes to 76. Not bad! Humidity is at about 100% but at least for the moment it is not so darned hot!

When I realized there was a storm system headed our way, I put away my gardening tools and I ran around shutting and latching barn doors, garage door, etc. to help if high winds accompanied the storm. And I brought in dogs and puppies.

Then I plugged in my cell phone. Lately we've lost power with storms and I wanted my phone battery topped off before the grid went down. Miraculously, the power is still on! *knocking on wood* But one last top off before the grid goes down is now on my list of things to do before a storm, especially since I now track such storms via a storm tracker app on my phone, so plenty of phone battery is more important than it used to be. :twister3:

Our satellite Internet went down, of course. It always does. It is fair weather internet only. 

• Like 1

We are getting storms here too AGAIN. I think it has stormed about everyday for the past week. Not quite as hot at 87 degrees.

Got an email from the realtor. The owners are going to have a new furnace put in.  :woohoo:

I just need to get with them and have a new air conditioner installed at the same time. I'm buying the AC because it's old and on it's last leg so might as well get them both done at the same time and not worry about it. Plus repair people can do it all before I move in. I really don't like strangers in my house. Oh, and one service call too.

• Like 3

Wonderful news @Jeepers!!!!!!! It is smart to do both heat and A/C at once. That will give you some peace of mind. And it is good this will happen before you move in. 

• Thanks 1

It is traditional around here... the village festivities for the 4th ARE ALWAYS interrupted by THUNDERSTORMS.  Every Single Year!  All the crafts are whisked away to trucks to keep them out of the rain.  All the hot dog, kettle korn, and pulled pork stands try to keep the wind from blowing away their product.  Those attending try to stand under the shelter of a craft tent or the awning of the food tents.  Others make a dash for the vehicles which are parked UP and DOWN hills....alllll around the 'village green' .  Every Year! 

We all thot this year MIGHT SURELY be the exception.  After all, with TOTAL BANS on open flame, the food vendors were only allowed cuz they're literally on the paved streets that are closed for this festival.  NO smoking outdoors - must be in closed vehicle or inside building.  Gas stations/stores are not selling firewood bundles or propane [even if it's for an RV].  ALL entities have agreed to bans....county, federal and state park lands, village/city....  It's THAT SERIOUS for fire danger this year.  They say kiln-dried lumber has a higher moisture count than our living [struggling] trees! 

So surely this year, we'd have a zero-rain festival?      :grinning-smiley-044:   IT RAINED!  Yes it did!  :amen:    A lot of rain but not gully-washing.  LIGHTNING/THUNDER too but with it raining hard enough, it didn't spark any fires.  "Dry lightning" is a terror around Colorado.  The main culprit in starting fires in those impossible-to-reach mountainous areas.  It was raining all around our house but it wasn't until much later that we finally got our share.  Right as we were going to bed but who cares!  :hapydancsmil:    'Course one cannot go out and dance in the rain here.....being 9,000' high into the lightning...  :behindsofa:  But we certainly celebrated safely inside.  :happy0203:  

We'll need more....lots more and frequently.  But if this begins the 'monsoon season', we'll get it.  :amen: 

MtRider  ....was getting reaallllly scary these past few wks...  :americanflag:

• Like 2

Wow, you know it’s hot & extremely dry, when a roadrunner comes into the yard for water. It checked out the sparrows for a moment, then headed straight for the bird water dishs.  Looked at me once and guzzled water. 

109*-112*F today.  It’s supposed to be ‘only’ 100 by midnight.    :knary:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Major hard wind and dust storm. Rushed out to cover the washer & dryer.  Noticed the tarp coming off the kayaks, got it off and had to take the flag down. The wind is so strong, it pulled out the screws in the mount. Whoosh!!!

DH is watching the weather, we wanted to go to the lake tonight again. This type of storm usually blows over and clears the air & sky. 

He just said, we might get some rain out of it. I’ll believe it when I see it. 

Congrats on the rain rain in your area MtR. Yup, dry lightening is very very scary here too.

Oh wow, @Annarchy - I hate wind & dust storms. That dust makes it hard for me to breathe. I have only been through a few such storms and I am thankful we don’t get those here!!!

We normally go for a twilight walk every evening at the forest preserve, but the storm system is lingering, and there is still some lightning. So I don’t know if we’ll get our walk tonight or not. Wish we could - it is so much cooler!

5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

:pray:   Praying for Mary's disability to go through quickly. As Cowgirl said, if it doesn't, don't give up. I knew some one who was denied two times before it finally went through. Maddening but well worth the perseverance. I think they plan on you giving up.

:pray:   Praying for Mr. and Mrs. Momo too. These are trying times for sure. Don't forget to take care of yourself too Momo. Take time out to just relax even if it's just for a few minutes.  :hug3:   

One place we used to live in decades ago put bleach in the well before it was tested too. Must be a common thing to do.  :rolleyes:

Here is a list of dogs insurance companies don't want to insure. Some will but it will cost a fortune to get the policy. I take exception with the Great Dane...of course. But I do understand it. They are very sweet and docile but they are also very big and can knock anyone down in a second. And keep you down.

• Pit Bull Terriers
  • Staffordshire Terriers
  • Rottweilers
  • German Shepherds
  • Presa Canarios
  • Chows Chows
  • Doberman Pinschers
  • Akitas
  • Wolf-hybrids
  • Mastiffs
  • Cane Corsos
  • Great Danes
  • Alaskan Malamutes
  • Siberian Huskies

I can have a German Shepherd or a Great Dane.  None of the others.

We ended up going for our twilight walk in the forest preserve last night. We saw quite a few white tails on our walk, but we were greeted by a doe and her twin fawns at the park entrance.

080D6AAE-890C-45A5-93A0-E99596C77664.thumb.jpeg.f11b1418fe844f6c0f868deb0287ced4.jpeg

It was such a pleasant evening. The temperature had dropped to the lower 70’s and there was a lovely breeze.

• Like 5

Yesterday was our SECOND DAY IN A ROW to get rain.  :amen:  :woohoo:   It really poured in sheets for a while.  But didn't damage the driveway with a version of the Royal Gorge.  It did knock out power temporarily in some places.  Lightning is up-close-and-personal in the high mountains.  :behindsofa: 

Then it got COLD.  52 degrees and I actually was able to get some things done....dressed in shorts and tank.   We're still slowly emptying the bedraggled Circus Tent.  Have to shove the water out where it sags down parts of the "roof"....ooof, up and over the side wall to splash off the side.  Well, it's served it's purpose and then some.....  It was only supposed to be a couple weeks of temporary relocation of goods.  Sheeesh.  I would have constructed it differently to last for the long term.

Anyway, made me realize again how difficult it is for me to LIVE in the summer heat.  And remember just WHY we are up here at 9,000' elevation to avoid that heat.  If I've been hiding inside for weeks now at this location, how do I live anywhere else?  Live after sunset and during winter.... :shrug:   Might try to do that now....do things after sunset?  But that's not my best energy time..

But .....it felt good to know I was pretty safe from overheating!  :happy0203: 

Sooooo Ambergris.  You avoided the dreaded neighborhood covenants only to slam into insurance companies?  Ack!  They're everywhere - they're everywhere!  :runcirclsmiley2:

Annarchy....Ya mean road runners aren't just a cartoon character?  :lol:  Do they really say:  Meeep Meeep?

250px-Geococcyx_californianus.jpg

Kinda cute.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Image result for road runner bird.URL

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Wow.  I see we are not the only ones seeing deer walking around.  It must be the time of year the new babies start learning how to browse.  No sign of the bear that was supposed to be raiding people's garbage - I guess he went t'other way. 

With the 4th, fireworks are going crazy here.  A couple years back (we are told) Georgia rescinded its fireworks restrictions.  Now anybody can get them and use them.  As long as the neighbors don't start the place on fire, I don't care.  We went to our friends' lake dock to watch their local fireworks show.  The people across the lake from them have $$ to spend on putting on a show and it was very good.  Bet it cost thousands!  People get in their boats & putt around the lake, watching all the various shows, and there were quite a few at this one.  So we all cheered, hooted & hollered and gave accolades to the shooters.  Of course, there were the usual incidents; this time a fellow put a plywood deck on his boat, set up the fireworks shooting tubes (kinda like mortars) and did not know to slant them so they shot the fireworks up and AWAY from the boat.  Yup, you guessed it.  They went up, then straight down, back into his boat, blowing up the remaining fireworks all at once, his boat, and blew him and his buddy into the water.  And all their beer and dope.  Both are in the hospital.  Some folks gotta learn the hard way, I guess, but OWWWWW.  

Today I processed veggies.  We are getting inundated with cucumbers and tomatoes, pole beans and okra, and zucchini, which Mary lets grow to at least a foot long before she picks it.  So I grated zucchini for zucchini bread, then peeled & diced (1/4 inch dice) another zucchini and a couple gallons of cucumbers to dehydrate.  Made a 'fire and ice' salad for the fridge (cucumbers, onions & tomatoes).  As long as I had the blender out grating zucchini, I also did up all the dried bread I had sitting around, making crumbs.   We tried working outside, but the heat index was 110 so we did not stay out long.  

I listened to the local news while I worked; the usual traffic crashes, car-jackings & the like in Atlanta (we are an hour away from that madhouse).  I must admit, I admire the woman who came out of the gas station, saw a man get into her car to steal it (that is a common technique here - they call it 'sliding' when they climb in at the gas pump) with her two toddlers inside.  She beat feet to the car, grabbed her gun from the glove box and shot the thief, yelling "Leave my kids alone!".  In his face.  Emptied the clip.  Now THAT is a momma tiger defending the cubs!!!  Except for the stray rounds flying around (bad) it looks like folks are sick and tired of being victims (good).  People are also learning to take cover FAST when they hear gunfire in the more crime ridden areas.  What a way to live.  I remember talking to a young girl when I was a trooper who confided to me that she felt scared all the time (living in Chicago).  So it is not just Atlanta.....

Tonight as I wind down before bed I am simmering some beef broth from bones of the NY Strip steaks we had tonight, the pan drippings, and the sweet corn cooking water.  Tossing the cobs in helps flavor it a bit, too.  I'll simmer about 30 min, then let it sit in the refrig. overnight, and simmer it again in the morning.  It makes such a nice rich stock for gravy or soup, and the house smells yummy!  All in all, it has been a productive day.  Even the dogs behaved (well, as good as they can....its like wrangling a kindergarden class)

Edited by kappydell
addendum
  • Like 3

Good for you, Kappy. I need to get my processing done. Ugh, I am so behind!

But today I have used the cooler temps to expand my Maypops. I am making a larger area for them and so I dug up a bed along a fence and transplanted some Maypop volunteers from the grass in the orchard where they have survived mowings. Got them watered in. And now I am beat and sitting in my recliner trying not to fall asleep! But we will have a lot more fruit in the coming years. The chickens got a big zucchini that got away from me in size - the plants are really churning them out this year and we can’t eat them fast enough. I am too tired to process a big one today so the chickens are enjoying it.

Worked with the litter of pups today. Getting them used to one-on-one people time and brushing. Still evaluating them - which to keep, which to DD, which to sell (good homes, interested in training only). They are all so danged cute.

I need to get some things into the dehydrator. But I don’t think I have it in me today.

I noticed that our raspberries are coming on. Need to get out there and begin first harvest. I have Heritage Reds, which are everbearing. So we get one wave in summer and another in fall.

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Like 2

Kappy, you seem to be adjusting from WI to GA quite well this summer.  Staying in when it won't be healthy outside in that heat/humidity.  I'll bet the neighbors have to be impressed with you gals working so hard to get your place established AND produce a great garden the first year!  :thumbs:  

Cowgirl.....puppies?  :wub: 

DH and I are thrilled to announce the demise [and eventual departure] of our OLD RAGGEDY COUCH.  The only way it was going to be leaving this second floor house was in pieces.  We began at 6PM...close enough to sundown to get cooler than 98* we had in afternoon.  :knary:   I am just NOT believing how hot it's been.  So we do nothing until it cools.  Even with fans and swamp cooler, we can't really keep all 3 rooms cool enough for heavy labor.  Only one bedroom is very cold. 

So we began with tipping it and unscrewing whatever could be.  As I was heading down to do PM animal chores, DH grabbed the 3# short-handled sledge from my truck.  Very handy tool, btw.  He commenced to WHACKING.  It began to rain as soon as I got ducks in so Koa and I took a short drive around...and she got to run beside truck on the dead-end road we use for that. 

Then I returned to couch.  It was a burlap sort of tweed material and we both used scissors to cut loose the big foam pads from seat and back of the old thing.  [Anyone think of a good use for perfectly good nekid foam cushions?]  Once those were out of the way, we kept removing the outer material and the next layers....many layers of padding, etc ...and .....  WHY does it take so many inner layers of all sorts of material to build a couch?  :scratchhead: I understand putting padding where they used staples, etc.  But wow!  Probably need new scissors by now.  Took forever but finally, we could see the 'bones' of the couch.  

<_<  They certainly made things well in this era!  I think the frame had to be oak.....or ironwood.  Had to saw and whack with mini-sledge.  Piece by piece went over the porch railing.  We'll have to dismantle even further to fit into trash bags.  The price to dump a couch in this county would break the bank!!  Finally at about 10:30PM...it was outta here!  :balloons:  :band:  :balloons: 

You have heard of our mice.....  One evening long ago, I saw my old ....and apparently RETIRED..... cat watching a mouse run over to Koa's food dish and grab a kibble.  Run back to wherever and pretty soon return for another and another.  <_<   "We" are not amused!  So now we cover her dish at night.  But that must have been going on a LOT longer than we knew.  Should have seeeeen the amount of dog food kibbles the mice had stored in the crevices of that couch!  :0327:  Had to get that contaminated food out with the other trash.  Ick!  I hate mices to pieces! 

I took a Tylenol early and a Nuprin later before bed.  Soooo sore and hurting but after that, I slept well.  Feel ok this today.  :amen:  Clouds are promising to cover the heat of the sun pretty soon.  :)  Guess it's gonna be an easier day.

MtRider  ....awaiting the monsoon season... :bounce:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Cowgirl.....puppies?

Yes. We have German Shepherd Dogs. DH owned 2 really nice GSDs years ago. He bred them once to get a puppy and found great homes for the others. That dog was a super dog and got many, many titles. When he got older, we bred him to a nice (meany) in exchange for pick of the litter. That next dog, an amazing dog even better than his dad, is now older and we bred him to a really nice (meany) we got 4 years ago. She has been an awesome mom (she is a great, great dog). We have a really nice litter. We don’t do this often, so it is a special treat to have puppies. I am keeping one to train and show, and DH is going to keep one also. DD is taking one. Another DD may take one. And a colleague may take another. 

Part of me wants to keep them all!  :wub:

• Like 4