MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Sending prayers to Mt. Rider and her family during upcoming transitional issues.  :pray:

It's a hot one today. Supposed to be 90 today and the next three days.

I had a landscaper/designer out today. I really need help. This place has no curb appeal. Zero. I don't want to spend too much money on it but some things have to be done. Have you ever seen the documentary Grey Gardens? It was owned by Jackie Kennedy's aunt and cousin. I watched it again last month. I started seeing myself and my future and what isolation can do. Hence the landscaper. It's a start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcKLGI4LeVs

Edited by Jeepers
Added a link.
  • Like 5

Yes Jeepers isolation is not for everyone! But something tells me Mrs. Bouvier would not have let off steam as you did to your neighbor. It hurts no one to thin down. But it takes a less than strong minded person to do what she did. Rejection set her off...

When I spent those many miles and  months cleaning up my wards place.. I made the decision no one would see my house that way. Yes I have more than I want that belongs to her( one can always hope) or to my DD. But it is neatly stacked until it can be disposed off. Sigh if all but my things were gone...this would indeed look like a big house. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Twilight said:

Mt_Rider if just if I knew then what I know now..

So....what have you learned about broken hips???

I'm asking specifically today cuz......

We'd visited my folks last nite.  Then this morning, my dad fell OUT of the shower.  Was just drying off and either partially blacked-out or just got suddenly weak/off-balance.  Bought them a shower chair and encouraged them to install grab bars.....  He uses the shower chair when he takes off his sox outside the shower.  :gaah:     That's what the doc told him today too.  USE the chair IN the shower....sit down and rest a bit.

Now... the great majority of 89 yr old folks would certainly have broken a hip....landing outside the tub on the floor.  Fortunately it seems to be a family trait that we all have very strong bones.  I don't think any of us have ever had a broken bone.  Even with my numerous spectacular/peculiar falls.  :buttercup:   ALSO fortunately ...my dad, brother and I all have very HARD heads too.  [yeah, in more ways than one LOL]  Cuz he smacked his head on the bathroom cabinet.  That bleeds....

My mom was down stairs...heard the crash...ripped off her O2 tubes and RAN up the stairs.  SUPERWOMAN!  Yeah, she'll be recovering from that maneuver!  Can you believe these two?  At their ages?????  It's amazing.... :amen:and God helped, I think.  Shuuuuueeeee!  :o

Course when they tried to call us, I was sleeping late and phone still unplugged.  I HATE that solicitation calls makes that a necessity.....and prevents my folks from reaching us 24/7.  :motz_6:    But finally my mom reached me after I got up.  I was still stumbling around and we hadn't eaten yet.  But she tells us they did decide to call the ambulance.  Good!  They'd gotten the bleeding stopped on his head.  But who knows with a fall at their ages.  They even managed to get him dressed but he was still on the floor.  Very shaky/weak.  No severe pain.  Ambulance came and he walked with them helping, down those 2 flights of stairs.... 

So he's been checked out and don't think any bones broken.  Really!  :amen:  He's gonna be plenty sore and need his chiro....  DH got ready and went to pick up my mom.  I stayed here....too shaky and worn out from visiting last nite.  {MOTTO:  Gotta be a part of the solution; not a part of the problem!}  Will keep overnite for observation and probably be released in the morning.

So I'd appreciate prayer for THIS aspect of growing old with ancient parents.  Those two are gonna wear US out!  LOL

MtRider  ....just in case one of them DOES break a hip, Twilight...what do you know now?  

Edited by Mt_Rider
page locked up before done
  • Sad 2

Today was house cleaning day. 

I procrastinated starting. Ferret room is always first. Tears ran down my face as I mopped the floor and changed out their bedding. Uriah and Temporance climbed into the cage Von Braun spent most of his time in. They wouldn’t let me change the bedding. I didn’t. That’s the hardest part....:sigh:

• Sad 5

I'm so sorry Annarchy. I can remember when I had to come home to an empty house and pick up the food and water bowls and get rid of Muffin's bedding. You are not alone in your grief hunny. I'm feeling your pain right now. 

• Sad 2

My dad was found to be anemic.  Not enough red blood cells.  Up here in altitude, we produce lots more than low-landers!  But he was running quite short.  Red cells transfer the oxygen to all parts of body including brain.  Hmmmmm.....that would explain quite a lot!!!  He's got O2 in his nose tube but no way to transport from lungs to .....brain!!!!  So they gave him 2 units today.  Whoa!  Sure hope that will take care of the worn-out, weak, dizzy, and fuzzy brain stuff we've been seeing.  :o   This fall could be providential! 

MtRider  :offtobed:

• Like 2

Today was a sad one.  WE buried three kittens.  One we were particularly fond of, the other two were newborns with an inexperienced mama who did not know how to feed them.  Too small for eyedroppers.  :sigh:    It seems its always sumpthin...

My dad sold his house & is selling off the contents, too.  So next week we will go north and pick up the dining room table he said I could have, along with anything I might want out of what he did not sell already.  Grrrrr.  (The timing is, as usual, awful...)  He already sold quite a few things I wanted and had asked for, but he forgot.  Oh well, the man is in his 90s, so I guess I can forgive a little forgetting.  Hurts though, I will be sad to leave my childhood homestead for the last time.  Lost of memories, there.

It is odd, how some folks can just sell everything and walk away, seemingly without regrets.  I'm a 'saver' especially of things with memories attached.  It takes me a while to relinquish the things while treasuring the memories.  

So we will drive up 'back home' for probably the last time, this weekend, and I will also see my brothers & sister, now living widely scattered.  Bittersweet.    

Edited by kappydell
too fumble fingered to type without typos
  • Sad 2

Aw....so sad about the kitties, Kappy.  :(   Pray for a safe trip "home" for you and M.  I am a 'saver' too.  I'm trying to let go of some stuff....in case we are moving any time soon.  I've had to completely unload a couple times but had someone store my special heritage things.  Some folks see real value in things that spawn good memories.  Other folks will keep photos in Facebook or a USB device...and they're good to go.  That's too ...vague, temporary for me.  

My dad's getting out of hospital.  Some choices on exactly HOW to keep his red blood cell count up high enough.  This is where DH has to get the data from docs so he can explain it to the rest of us.  Pray that this DOES help his thinking and stops the weakness/worn-out/dizzy stuff.

===================

:lol:    I just had a notice pop up on the computer screen  that reads:  Old drivers can cause hardware malfunctions....system crashes...   :grinning-smiley-044:   For a second, I thot they were talking about my dad....old drivers... ?️   Aiiieeee.  I think I'd better check MY red blood cell count!

===================

MtRider  ....holdin' down the fort... :rolleyes:  

• Haha 3

Your parents have sure had their share of hospitals this year. That alone can be confusing and stressful. Hope they get him all straightened out soon. That fall at his age is too scary!  :pray:

Sorry some of your treasured possessions got sold Kappy. And it's a shame about the kitties too.  Safe traveling prayers headed your way. :pray:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's miserable hot here today. It's 90 but the humidity is high too. I needed to run some errands so I went ahead and got them all done today.

I went to the U-Haul store here in town and bought some boxes. I have some but these are nice. They are called 'book boxes' and are small for heavy things.  For me...everything is heavy! Also got a pack of wrapping paper for some jars etc. On to Wal-Mart for some more tape. My old tape wasn't sticky enough any more. And some bubble wrap. I'm not going to use much bubble wrap but I do have some pottery I'd like to keep in one piece. The small boxes will come in handy for that. And also books. Oh my...the books.

While at Wal-Mart I went ahead and did my grocery shopping. Didn't need much. Frozen veggies, yogurt, fruit and bread. Should have stopped at the fruit market for a watermelon.

I also dropped off 7 trash bags full of really nice clothes at the Salvation Army. Not that the clothes were nice as in expensive but nice as in perfect condition. My dressing up and high heel shoes days are over.

I saw a neat way to pack up and move my hanging clothes. This is not my picture but I'm stealing the idea.

Clothes.jpg

• Like 4

I used a whole roll of bubble wrap for my last move. I agree the small book boxes are wonderful. If it would fit in a small box, I used one. It's just easier on older adults. Like the clothing idea. I stuffed every suitcase full. Everything gets wrinkled that way.

• Like 1

Our youngest came for a brief visit, flying out to get her puppy. It is too hot to ship by air. We had a lovely respite from the heat and humidity for about a week, including during DD's visit.

It was so nice. We had the A/C off and the windows open for a whole week!

Now the heat and humidity are back. Today I wanted to hike down to the river along the bluff. We decided to do it this morning, before it got too hot. But it was still pretty warm. We had to stop for a breather on the way back up. Whew! 

Older DD is coming for a visit with the grandkids next week. They will be here about a week and will be taking home a puppy also.

Hmm. I seem to think there's a connection here between puppies and kids visiting? :happy0203:

Busy summer. Good times.

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Like 2
On 7/29/2018 at 12:32 PM, Jeepers said:

I'm so darn stressed out. Everything was going smoothly with the new house...until it wasn't. I knew things were too good to be true.

I had to transfer the down payment from one bank to another and then to bank 3. I couldn't do the transfer to the final bank from the first bank because they would require signed paperwork and I didn't want to waste time with snail mail. So, my plan was to just go ahead and transfer it to bank 2 (paperwork on file) and then e-wire from bank 2 to the final bank. This was Wednesday. It usually takes overnight.

Well, that didn't happen. Bank 1 sent it right away. Bank 2 is "still processing". It's Sunday and no sign of the money in bank 2. I've called everyone at the banks, the realtor and anyone else I can think of to alert them of a potential problem. The main issue is I have to be there Tuesday at 1:00pm for a walkthrough at the house and the closing at 3:00pm. Which means I need to leave Monday, tomorrow, to get there the night before so I can be there on time.

So, Monday morning I'm praying the money gets into bank 2. It's there in their system, they just need to get on the stick and process it. It should have been done Friday. Then the weekend held it up two days. They had better not put a hold on it!

I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do with it once it's in bank 2. One person was saying it needs to go to bank 3 and another was saying I need to wire it to a title company. The title company didn't even say how much to wire or give an account number. I'll call the loan officer in the morning as soon as I find out where the money is.

The sellers are coming from out of state also so I know they have probably taken off work and made arrangements too. What a mess. I'm so stressed out I can barely breathe. I'm not in danger of losing the house but I might be putting a lot of people in a tough situation and a huge embarrassment to myself.

"wire it to a title company. The title company didn't even say how much to wire or give an account number. I'll call the loan officer in the morning as soon as I find out where the money is."

On 8/3/2018 at 5:38 PM, Twilight said:

Not doing much... just washed 2 loads clothes. 101 today so everything dried fast. May have another pint or two of tomato juice to can tomorrow. 

I am tired but no fever. Broke a hip in April and it has caused severe energy drain.

"And hello there Ms.Twilight! 

It sure is good seeing you post again. Stick around girl."  Broken hip...WOW!  Hope you get your energy back.

Edited by The WE2's

Jeepers...no the van is still in the shop.  September it will be a year!  The "mechanic" says that it was a hodge-podge of parts from previous repairs and that nothing matched up like it should have.  So...still waiting.  He's got it under the van now so probably (???) shouldn't take too much longer.

As for the eyes...I'll find out this week what the surgeon says....still antsy.  

Took our Abby-girl in for her annuals and she's doing wonderful...but has several fatty tumors (very small) that have developed.  Vet said it's just age...he took biopsies of each.  Can you believe she's 6 1/2?  She still acts (and thinks) like she's a puppy! LOL  

• Like 1

Took a day trip today through the national forest area...what a beautiful place!  When we get the van home we plan to do some serious exploring of that whole areal, which will involve some serious camping! 

The weather in this area is still hot and muggy.  We've had some rain but not near enough. 

Studied a bit more on our Lambs Quarter patch...collecting the seeds as a grain.  Ours is about 8 foot tall and should flower and seed before too much longer.  Tomorrow hubby resumes work on the new bathroom at the homestead place.  Seems like everything takes a step forward and then two back!  Oh well...he'll "get 'er done".  Joined some friends Friday evening for a potluck dinner and some dancing at a community center not far from us.  I think the dancing (especially the line dancing) has helped the vertigo.  Perhaps learning to adjust?  When you're over 70 ya gotta adjust!  

• Like 2

Yes Jeepers isolation is not for everyone! But something tells me Mrs. Bouvier would not have let off steam as you did to your neighbor. It hurts no one to thin down. But it takes a less than strong minded person to do what she did. Rejection set her off...

When I spent those many miles and  months cleaning up my wards place.. I made the decision no one would see my house that way. Yes I have more than I want that belongs to her( one can always hope) or to my DD. But it is neatly stacked until it can be disposed off. Sigh if all but my things were gone...this would indeed look like a big house. 

• Like 2

Mt_Rider and all, you asked what I learned on hips. First I will give you a link where you can learn more than I can tell you. Bonesmart.org  which is for knees and other joints as well.    Not everyone has problems, such as are talked about.  

I was told the three major things, no 90% bending, keep your feet straight, don’t cross your legs. Nothing was said about no lifting. 

I live alone, and as you know if you have a garden or animals of any kind, you know that there will be lifting one way or another.

Another thing is your hips in a away are the “ command post” of your body no pun intended but the seat of your affections. 

Loss of hair, depression, UTIs, and many other problems can arise. Fever can be an unwanted companion and as long as it does not go over 103 is considered ok. Ice will be your best friend for swelling and fever in the affected joint. I did not have an ice bag so I froze water in a zip lock bag. Double bagging is a good idea. When it thaws just put it back in the freezer.

So I do the best I can . Made do with what I have. This is not the truth..a broken hip is of no consequence.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, Twilight.  I'll bookmark it.  So far no broken hip in the family.  But we're wondering [no one asked...but will ask at his regular doc tomorrow] HOW LONG it takes to get O2-starved cells activated again!  This fuzzy thinking and wobbly walking is scary! 

I will also pass it along to my good friend who IS getting a hip replacement.  She loves data like me!  :pc_coffee:

I don't think I've ever heard that aspect of NSAIDS......  Soooo....I assume there is enough pain to need pain reliever?   Do you have to go into the Darvon/Oxycodone/etc   All of those are in the same family { to which I don't react well at all}. 

So....blobs of storm cells are passing thru CO again today.......  :hapydancsmil::amen:   ....always thankful for RAIN.....despite deep gullies in the driveway.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

They gave me the narcotic Tylenol . Can't think of the name. I only took them for a week. I did not take the asprin.which is to prevent blood clots because I don't do asprins well. The bottle fell off behind the stereo and I totally forgot it.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1