MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, Ambergris said:

You did an ultra-cheap cookbook?

Yes, I based it on the challenge to make meals for an entire day based on what 1 person would have to spend on food stamps.  It was interesting....got some recipes from the challenge websites, some from WW1 and WW2 rationing books & sites, some from depression era cookbooks & sites, complete with prices for ingredients (at that time).   Made it up for a nephew getting married, along with the 'normal' wedding present. I kept a copy to play with; as I find more super cheap recipes I add them in.  And yes, some came from Mrs S! 

I also have a 'prepper cookbook' emphasizing storage foods; I shared that with some ladies from my preppers group, to demonstrate what to do with 'storage' foods.  (We had a potluck meeting, I took 'texas tabouli' made with whole white wheat kernels, and ye old eggless, butterless, milkless chocolate cake with maple frosting (made with Crisco & sugar).  

I guess you could say cookbooks are a 'thing' for me.  The older the better. I really like the civil war era Army one, it demonstrates mass cookery under Civil War field conditions.  The recipes are pretty good, too. 

Today we actually finished stacking wood.  We had 1 cord and a couple of smaller store bought rack we filled (about 1/4 cord each).  THEN we went and split some more, until the humidity got to us and we had to stop.  It rained here after we finished up.  Finished taking notes from a loaned copy of The People's Pharmacy Guide to Home and Herbal Remedies.  Didn't learn anything new on the herbal side, but some of those home remedies were interesting....my favorite was one or diarrhea: eat 2-3 Archway Coconut Macaroons.  No more than 3 though or (according to the person reporting it) or you would become constipated!  I might just go buy some of those cookies...if it doesn't work, I just gain dessert! 

And I admit, I did burst out laughing at the report of the man who put a nitroglycerine patch on his tool and got , er, big results, which his wife enjoyed, then wondered why SHE got the headache the nitroglycerine patches usually gave him....who on earth thinks of doing something like that?!?  Have not laughed that hard since I read the very scholarly report in a medical journal of the rise in penile injuries of widowers who just happened to be vacuuming naked and got things 'stuck' in the running vacuum.  OWWWCH!  I kid you not, it was in a medical journal, and some joker posted it on the bulletin board in the ER.   I must be a very boring person, such a thing would never have occurred to me, even if I had such equipage!  People can be very strange.

Last night I saw a new bit of Georgia wildlife - I took the dogs to the back pen to do their business, and saw a wee green frog sitting on the railing of my steps.  He looked like a piece of jewelry, a lovely light green.  I wondered in passing how the heck he got up on the rail, it being 12 feet off the ground.  Well, when I got back that little frog was clinging to the siding, just under the porch light, nonchalantly holding on with 3 feet while he grabbed insects flying around the light and stuffed his face with one foot.  Obviously a tree frog - THAT is how such a wee froggie got waaaaay up on my porch.  I bet he ate well.  But I have not seen hide nor hair of the bear supposedly in the area.  Can't say I mind.  

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Stay safe, Lady.  Fire, bears and bobcats?  Oh MY!

Yeah...and the Attack Of The Microbes tooooo!  :gaah: 

However, I believe the finger infection is, indeed, improving.  I've done a drawing salve [might be that coal tar stuff cuz it's black and tar consistency....need to get some more of something cuz I'm out].  Then I've been doing hot moist compresses - used one of the small warming devices you can use for hand warmers.  The reusable kind that you snap the little metal thingie inside and all the sudden the liquid inside crystallizes....and pours out heat.  [after it cools, you have to boil it until no crystals are visible and leave it in the water to cool slowly.  Then reuse.]  I wrapped a wet cloth around it with my finger inside ...making sure not to "add insult to injury" by burning the area.  :o  I think all that has kept the infection very localized until my body's usual defenses can git rid of this thing!  Sheesh!  I was about to go see a doc... :grinning-smiley-044:

Talked to DD1 last nite.  She had a baaaad accident on a moped long ago in which she nearly-but-didn't... [thank You, God] ..lose her leg.  As a result, tho she can walk on left leg, she favors the right leg.  With that compensation, she's developed "bunion" and big toe crossing under the other toe....of her good leg.  She had surgery and first doc visit since was yesterday.  Stitches out ....meaning she can get it wet in shower now.  :happy0203:  That alone makes life easier.  But she still wears a boot to protect while using crutches.  Oye!  Has been harsh. Can't drive either due to boot.  She recently discovered the JOY of getting around Costco with a disability scooter.  :thumbs:  "Mobility without Exertion is Grande!:thumbs:   That's my assessment and she agrees.  Poor thing....she's got way too much in common with her mom at her age.  But then.....it is the same for me and my mom.  Pray for her healing, please. 

Pray also that we get some rain....  Clouds have returned but we'll see if they actually let down the rain.

MtRider  .....despite getting few hours of sleep for the past many nights, I feel better today than I have in a while.  :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider
um...clarity lol
  • Like 1

Mt Rider, you could make a poultice with activated charcoal. It works miracles  on infections. Raw potato scrapings poultices are great for drawing out splinters, bits of metal, etc. If you use charcoal, mix it with water and an equal amount of oat flour or ground flax seed to keep it moist. Make the poultice large enough to cover more than the infected part of your finger. Put something between your finger and the charcoal if you have an open wound because the charcoal and tattoo you if it gets directly in the wound. It can adsorb just fine through paper towel or several layers of gauze. If you have any goldenseal powder, you can also soak your finger in warm water with a little of the powder stirred into it.

Hi everyone!

• Like 2

Had a doctor appointment today. Ugh. I was in there for about 2 hours. It was just for routine med refills. At first I thought the air conditioner was broken or something then I heard it kick on. I'm glad I had shorts on because I was burning up. I really like my nurse practitioner but here lately she seems sort of unprepared.

I told her about my neck and back pain and asked for the Voltaren Gel. It should be ready tomorrow. Too bad when the patient has to try to find drugs and relief on their own and then ask the doctor for them. I mentioned depression and she asked if I was suicidal and I sad no. That was the end of that. I mentioned the ridges in my nails and she said she didn't know anything about that. Okay then. I mentioned about the sciatic pain along with my back and neck pain...crickets. Probably was starting to sound like a hypochondriac.

It's mammogram time again...joy. They had to do an exam before they can write out the prescription. I wasn't expecting that. Remember back in the day when they gave you a gown and left the room? Now you just hop up on the table and pull up your shirt and bra. Dang, not comfortable at all. And they can't get up in your armpit with your shirt stuffed up under your arms either. Guess the mammogram will catch anything she didn't.

Heart, lungs and brain scan turned out normal. I need blood work done though.

She kind of made me mad. They were missing one of my scans and she used the term "CLAIMS". As in 'the patient claims' she had it done in October. Claims??? Maybe just a poor choice of words. Then at the end she said she, "Had to move on." Sorry for taking up your valuable time since my appointment was at 2:10 and you didn't come in to see me until 2:40 and then had to search for my scan. Yeah, I was ready to "move on" too.

She forgot to check my thyroid. I was going to ask her about CBD oil and Kratom for arthritis pain but she, "had to move on". They gave me a packet for something. I think I might have to poop on a stick. I'm not brave enough to open it yet. I just don't want to know right now.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Ack! Jeepers, sorry you got that treatment. Sounds like our doctor office. 

The BBQ got up to 170*F today, about as hot as the car interior.  Clouds are building up around the mountains and our humidity is climbing up. We’re staying inside. Water on the chickens as a swamp cooler for them. Birds are flocking in the shade of the trees and garden, doubt we will have any bug problems for a while. Slightly breezy, not bad. 

I fixed my sewing machine foot, it works, then, the belt broke, before I got a chance to use it. Sigh. Sewing a set of curtains to go on a Travis rod in the bedroom. Since the bed has a blue jean quilt, I made in 1990, I’m making the curtains out of old jeans too. Almost done. 

Making tacos tonight, quick, easy and not a lot of heat in the house. 

Your doctor sounds like my old doctor, Jeepers!  Hard to deal with and don't know about ridges in your finger nails?  I thought that they would have learned that!

I listed 4 items on eBay and that's it today!  Zero energy or ambition.  

I think my little dogs are having pollen allergy problems.  DH going to try to get a vaporizer from thrift store tomorrow.  Once a day (for 2 days so far), I've given them a small piece of benedryl which seems to help.  Lots of sniffing snorting and reverse sneezing going on.  I checked and our grass pollen is high and so is the height of our grass.  Peanut's belly just drags in it.  I started wiping her belly, toes, etc. with a damp cloth when she come in.  Any other suggestions are welcome!  Have a good evening!

Things were different with doctors before computers took over. Now they spend most of the time looking at the computer typing instead of looking at you and talking to you. She barely looked at me and I had to talk to her while she was typing. Even when she asked a question, when I was answering, she kept her head in the laptop.

Sorry your puppers have allergies Miki. Mine used to get them to because of the grass. Nearly every spring and fall she had to do a course of Prednisone. I think you are doing the best with the Benedryl. I never thought about wiping mine down. She would start rubbing her belly on the carpet, biting at her paws and shaking her ears. Her belly and ears looked like she had measles. She would "snort" too. Scared me half to death the first couple of times she did it.

I hear you about the sewing machine. If it ain't one thing it's another!

• Like 1

Got our living room carpet cleaned (well, as clean as it gets with a lawn of Georgia mud - :gaah:) but it looks nicer.  Put down plastic again, it helps some.  They didn't ask us when they ordered the mobile home what kind of flooring we wanted, so we got the 'standard' with carpet everywhere except the utility room, the bathrooms, and the kitchen/dining area.  And of course it is light beige (not quite as bad a white, but almost.....)  We wish we had linoleum thru the whole house, and when it comes time to replace the carpet it will DEFINITELY be hard flooring.  Oh well.  This weekend our friends are  bringing over the couch, coffee table, side chair and curio cabinet they saved for us when they got new ones.  They will fit in nicely, and are very comfy although I do need a tow now and again to get up out of the cushy couch!  Its nice for sleeping, though, plenty long.  We have been holding off really 'decorating' the living area waiting for the furniture, so hooray!  Good thing our place also has a family room - that is the real 'hub' of our home, with recliners, TV, dog crates, etc.  That was one of the reasons we picked this one - the long walkway (more like a runway when the puppies get  case of the 'zoomies') goes half the length of the house, about 40 feet, and is quite the race-track on rainy days.  

Picking and dehydrating my potted herbs now.  I picked up lemon  balm, sage, peppermint and rosemary when they had the plants at the local stores; they nicely filled in my 16 inch (I think, maybe 18 inch?) pots very prettily, and cant spread all over the place.  Nice for picking too, not so far to lean down!   My doc was very excited to look in the veggie bag I brought her, with Tyfon (very mild German mustard greens), the last picking of romaine lettuce, cucumbers, some cherry tomatoes, and a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary "in case you have any chicken breasts laying around" as I told her.   (The tyfon is so mild I am using it as a lettuce replacement now that it's too hot for lettuce to grow properly.  It is nice and crispy.) She loves the garden produce, but has no time to garden anymore as her practice keeps growing.  Im not surprised, seeing as how doctors seem be treating everybody...she is less enamored of the computer than many, and although it makes her run late, she takes time to actually listen to her patients, so I don't mind waiting, and yes, will spoil her as much as possible with goodies.  The medical profession seems also to be going down the rose strewn path to perdition....along with many other professions.  Around here, at the ER, if you are not having a heart attack there is a looooong wait to be seen - like 8 hours - the admitting clerk actually tells people that - and NO TV or magazines in the waiting room.  So it is very much DIY for many folks.  Not pretty at all. 

Anybody have experience with using bamboo as a privacy screen?  I looks invasive.  I am pondering what to use below my trees along the road to shield my gardens from passing motorist's view.  I know bamboo shoots are edible and the canes useful, but don't want to have to deal with invasiveness....we already have that with smilax everywhere.  I'm starting to pick the shoots as I walk around the yard, and save them for lunch (if I get enough of them).  Maybe a forager's stir fry - I don't need a lot of any one weed for that.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

Kappydell, our neighbor had some for years.  It is invasive.    If you have a way to contain it, it makes a great privacy screen. I’ve tried to grow it, but it is much too water needy. 

It is off and on cloudy here. Humidity is up. (Spelled it right. :grinning-smiley-044: )  Sticky. Temp is only in the 90’s. 

Got a text from the neighbor Lady, who takes dozens of my excess eggs, asking if my chickens had “flown the coop”, around 6am. Nope, not mine. I picked them up, put the barrier between my coops and put them in. They immediately went for the food and water.   Ungrateful girls pooped on me. :lol:  Yesterday they were roaming the alley, I caught them and tossed them back in their yard, noticing their coop was tossed on some stuff in the yard.  Sister was outside and said thanks, but tried to talk with me in Spanish. No comprendy, it’s a riddle... ?   I asked her if they still wanted them, she said she didn’t know but she’d ask. Henny #1 has already given me an egg. Awwwww.  

The mint I planted in the garden doesn’t look like it is going to live. The cutting I kept in the house is growing roots. :thumbs:  The Greek oregano seems like it likes the heat and seems to be growing a little. Replanted watermelon seeds that the juvenile starlings ate. I’m hoping it’s not too late in the season for it. 

Time to get some more stuff done. 

Think I'm going to take Peanut to the vet today. Hate to do it but I really hate to pay weekend rates at an emergency clinic! Aninja seems to be recovered whether it's pollen or flu but Peanut is older and doesn't seem any better. Not ready to lose another pup within a 3 week period. Will be back later to update.

• Sad 1

TY,  Annarchy, I think I will pass on the bamboo...when I want some to play with I'll just go down & get some from the hedgerow by the highway.  

We went for our walk in the yard today, marked some trees for removal that were a) crowded, b) leaning or half dead, and c) lighning struck.  We will put the wood in a pile on the far end of the yard - the stacks we have near the house (2 'ricks' worth, about half a cord on the north side, a full cord on the other side) will last us plenty long, as we do not heat with wood.  

While walking in the wooded area we could smell the mimosa trees (lovely!) and I spotted more Jerusalem artichokes scattered around, a couple bramble berries, ferns, and a couple flowers blooming I have yet to identify.  One vining plant has lovely purple flowers, almost like morning glories, but a different shape.  I have to look that one up to make sure it is not a relative of bindweed that couild be invasive or troublesome.  I also saw something that could be angelica, or its poisonous cousin so I'll be checking carefully in the guidebooks; if it is poisonous, it's GONE.  

Taking a break for brunch - hash browns & eggs - then back out to check the garden.  The okra, melons and sweet potatoes are growing very fast - they must like this warm (90 degree) weather.  The lettuce is all done but the tyfon/mustard works well as a lettuce substitute, and tolerates the heat better.  I have collards planted too, we shall see how they do - I was not overly impressed with them in Wiconsin, but this is more their home turf, so to speak.  

And my little tree frog is back with a friend.  Every night they have been climbing up the house and sitting in the niche net to the porch light, where they can grab the insects attracted to the light at their leisure.  They do a nice job of keeping moths & other night fliers out of the house!  

• Like 2

Kappy-

I like the idea of the doggie runway/raceway for rainy days! I kinda, sorta, can do the same thing with my dog in my apt. It's not nearly as long as yours but it doesn't seem to matter to her as she can jump on the bed at one end or the stuffed chair in the living room at the other. (I get her to chase a laser light)  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:hapydancsmil:Under 90 and very very light sprinkles that evaporate as soon as they hit the ground. It’s rain!

Making tortilla soup tonight. Tomorrow is house cleaning. I hope it loosen up my sore hip. Limping is a pain, can’t hardly walk, dang it. I think it was from the fall at the lake. Trouble sitting any amount of time too. :shakinghead:

Watering the lawn anyway. 

• Like 1

So sorry about your hip, Annarchy!  Hope it feels better soon!

Peanut has a respiratory infection and allergies. Has meds and already doing better! So glad I took her!

Now, if we were in a time with no doc available, I would give her a quarter of a cipro and a half of benedryl. But since we do...

• Like 2

I just remembered something.  The late DH used to put a cheap flashlight in the forward hatch of his kayak for night fishing.  The front half of the hull glowed.  Drew fish and mosquitoes both.

Sent DS1 to the vet today with a cat who suddenly developed scabby spots about two months ago  and now has a lot more plus thinning hair.  Home remedies didn't help.  Got a steroid shot, an antibiotic shot, and flea drops.  Talk about scattergun treatment!  But it was all together cheaper than just one test, which might not have told what it was (only one thing that it wasn't).

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, sounds like we are in a world of trouble when it comes to the medical/veterinary systems. 

It is another cloudy and humid day here. Awesome and beautiful change from constant clear skies and beating sunshine. DH said it lightly rained off and on most of the night. My bucket is wet with less than 1cm of water in the bottom. 

The dogs won’t make it easy to clean. They keep traipsing through the moist dirt. They’ve already put paw prints through most of the house. It’s OK, that’s what dogs do. 

Thanks Ambergris, neat idea. DH got these lights, white, green and red. They have a soft rubber outer casing. His kayaking buddies recommended them. 

8D748EB2-49E8-46A7-AC7C-662F1C48968B.jpeg

• Like 1

Today, I have to sew a button on a pair of pants for DH's eBay, write a couple of drafts, wash one small dog (not the sick one).  Then we will go out to lunch for our 28th wedding anniversary!!!  Doesn't seem like that long to me, not sure about DH.  LOL

• Like 2

Congratulations! Happy Anniversary!  

28 years!  Very nice!  I know what you mean about not seeming to be that long. 

:hapydancsmil:It’s raining!!!!!!!  :cele:Real rain, not just lightly sprinkling.   :amen:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The rain eased up to a light sprinkle, checked my bucket, just under an inch of water, so far, in the last hour. Flying termites are beginning to come out. Ants should be next. Then the toads. 

Oh, first rain we’ve had here in months. 123 days since we’ve had any measurable rain. 

Edited by Annarchy
#of days..
  • Like 2

Hey Annarchy.....I hope you're going to share the blessing and send that rain system up our way.  I assume it came from the hurricane that came up Baja?  It's done a minute or two of spattering here but we've had ZERO rain/snow in ...... :sigh:  .....a long time too.  I've been thankful for the cloud cover every afternoon for the past week.  Cooler...somewhat.  But it also seems to hold in the pine tree pollen ['tis the season] and soot/ash from far-away wildfires AND THE MASSIVE DUST from the road traffic. 

I haven't been sleeping right for some time now.  Last nite my mom happened to mention again how thankful she is to sleep better now that she has adequate O2....tho she hates maneuvering the house with the O2 tubes.  Pondering that, I stuck our Oxi-Pulse meter on my finger......and yep.  I'm running significantly low for me.  ....I'm NEVER low on O2!

Drat....it doesn't take a medical degree to figure out why I'm low.  I've had an allergic response to particulate matter all my life.  DUST....soot/ash....massive yellow tree pollen....  :gaah:  I means I've been miserable but could it also be the key to sleeping?  I've also forgotten to run the percussion device over my bronchial tube areas [upper chest] ...  I try to do that regularly to help keep them cleared.  Ack...last nite I hacked and coughed a LOT before it finally subsided.  I need to remember to do that as daily maintenance!!!  Now that I've 'stirred it up', I'm coughing more....annoying but beneficial. 

And :amen:  I DID finally sleep last nite from 1:30AM to 11:30AM!  First nite I've slept more than 5 hrs in a while.  I went to sleep by counting each long, slow, deep breath.....  Consciously trying for better O2. 

Finger infection is slowly receding.  The redness and swelling is very localized and getting smaller. 

Glad your pup is going to be fine, Miki.  Praying for the rest of you with bad weather or medical concerns.  That Dr. visit would certainly leave a baaad taste in my mouth, Jeepers.  :mad:  But....what can we do?  It's the way of things now....  :angry:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Thanks 1

Testing out our new solar oven. This experimental dinner is sourdough bread and baked fish. [I hope!]

I have read about converting recipes for solar cooking. Tonight’s dinner was researched, but there is nothing like real world experience! And I am quite hopeful these will turn out well.

Once I get used to cooking in the solar oven, I expect it to reduce costs:

— no propane or electric used

— does not add to A/C load or heat up the kitchen

AND, it is a good emergency cooker as well.

Glad little Peanut is feeling better. Happy anniversary to the Miki's.

Glad you are doing better Mt. Rider! Ugh, sleeping. I think we are on the same sleep rhythm. Or lack of.

Annarchy, sounds like you are in for plagues of Biblical proportions. Termites, ants, toads, floods, heat. Dang girl, you're tough!  :bow:

I'm still a little salty over the doctor visit. She not only forgot the thyroid check but she didn't check my neck glands either. I think I had issues with her the last time I went too. At least it sort of takes the sting out of finding a new doctor if I ever get moved. Oh, I looked up ridges on fingernails. It can be caused by protein, zinc, calcium and vitamin A deficiencies also malnutrition and THYROID problems. I'm on thyroid meds. I go next week for blood work so we'll see.  

Solar oven is on my list. I have a little cheap one but not the more expensive ones with a thermometer.

• Like 1