MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Stashing zip-lock bags of water to take up every possible inch of space in the freezer, sigh.  The storm is expected to turn north at least eighty or ninety miles east of us, but in the first place they don't tend to follow directions all that well, and in the second place this thing is kinda big.

Kappydell, do you know the nickel in the cup trick?  You freeze a cup of water, and put a nickel on top of the block of ice.  Leave it through any blackout.  When the electricity comes back on, leave the door shut to re-cover the cold (or not totally kill your chances of keeping things frozen).  When things are (or might be) okay, open the freezer  door and check the cup.  The depth to which the nickel has sunk tells you how much your freezer thawed. There will be all kinds of bulletins on how to read it.  I use a nickel on one shelf and a quarter on another usually.

Jeeps, I have to wait until Tuesday (at least) to find out what my dosage is supposed to be.  Sighhhhh.  The dpctpr won't be back in until Tuesday, if then.

We didn't get a single butternut this year.  Some critter nibbled on every one.  I hadn't quite expected this level of challenge.  My suburban garden on the other edge of the county had different issues.  Bugs yes.  Critters, not usually.

• Like 3

Stay safe, Ambergris.  Does look like a NASTY hurricane.  Hope you're far enough over to miss most of the show.  My cousin/her dh are visiting down near Orlando.  Their dd who lives down there just gave birth to baby girl [#3 child].  So unless some of them fly home/evac....there are 7 of my kin MUCH nearer to this storm.  :pray:   Also a friend/former neighbor in same general area. 

And y'all in Geogia.....Kappy/Mary....  Hopefully you won't be getting too much.  Chainsaws at-the-ready JIC? 

I had an odd thing today [like Jeepers...when don't I?]  but tooooo tired to relate it tonite.  I'm running late.

MtRider  :offtobed: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s a beautiful 82 degree morning, the sun has come up, doves are cooing, sparrows are having a group chat in one of the trees, hummingbirds are chasing each other around the feeders, and I’m getting ready to begin house cleaning, yes, it’s Saturday.

Mt_Rider, I hope you got some good sleep and are feeling better.

Don’t feel bad, Jeepers, one year, in the 2000’s, I kept writing 1998 on my checks, until a cashier caught me.  :whistling:  I frequently loose track of what day it is.  

Kappydell, I’m looking forward to hearing about your fall gardening.  We won’t be able to re-plant until mid-September, when it should be cooling down.

The 4 stalks of corn, have ears, when I felt them, the kernels are sparse. DH suggested we use the seeds for next year, because they should be a little more heat tolerant.  So, that’s what we will do.  I am hoping the area the fava beans grew this spring, will be sufficient for the corn.  Still no tomatillos.  It has been much too hot.  All but one tomato plant fried, and it’s doing it’s best to survive. I am grateful we canned last years harvest, 10 quarts still on the shelf. :amen:

Critters in the garden, are annoying!  We get bunny rabbits, round tailed ground squirrels, moles, & mice. Thankfully, they haven’t decimated anything yet.  The rabbits have focused on the perslaine growing wild in the yard.  I’m good with that.  

It is time to feed the birds their breakfast.  I see them in the trees, patiently waiting. Lol

I hope everyone stays safe in the storm.

• Like 4

Something nibbled on two of my butternut squash, but have about 20 unscathed.

After walking and chores yesterday, I was off to Walmart for the monthly trip, Dollar Tree and local grocery for a couple of sales items. Prices are going up at Walmart! Sure noticed this trip.

Came home and finally had our visit with new pup. It went well (enough). Our black Chi is not on board yet. Signed papers and he will be neutered next week and than he is ours. If I could pull up a photo, I would, but am having issues. I truly hope to stay home today and tomorrow!

• Like 3

Ambergris, I have heard of it, I think I'll put one in each freezer.  'That way if when the hurricane fouls up our weather we will know if we lost power.  Our larger freezer does not even have an indicator light to show it is running (!) so we rely on the littler one's light to show if power is getting thru.  Once in a while during storms the circuit breaker goes off & we have to reset it.  Its to the point that I check every time I go feed/water the outside kitties, twice a day.

Mary pulled the last bean bushes.  Not producing.  We are tilling & fertilizing the open areas, for transplants.  For now we are keeping them in an area shaded from the hottest afternoon sun lest they burn  before they get planted.  It's still getting hot in the days, but cooler at night (good for sleeping).  We leave sweet potatoes, peppers & okra in until frost hits.  I'm stil dehydrating sweet banana peppers & okra, and freezing the green pepper dices.  Tomatoes this year were sparse.  Maybe next year.  They produced about 1 month heavily, then the humidity diseases affected them.  I've never had tomatillos, how are they used, Annarchy?  Maybe a new crop for us?  Gotta find some recipes for sweet potatoes that M will enjoy.  We have LOTS of those coming.  

For now, we are battening down the hatches in the yard, putting away things that will blow away, doing laundry (in case power goes, we will have clean clothes) and getting generators ready.  We got 15 gal gas on Wednesday, before the rush began.  Lines are already forming at the gas stations and motels are already full.  I'm also putting jugs of water in the freezers to freeze and act as "cold sinks" if power has problems and we cant get the gennys going right away.  The weather channel is talking Cat 5.  Glad we are not on the coast!  Chainsaws are in readiness, with spare chains & sharpeners & gas.  Our storm surge is not water, it is trees falling over from saturated soil and high winds.  We will probably put on a few pounds sitting around watching the weather channel.  The old joke is that everyone is planning "French Toast" parties, which explains the milk, bread & egg shelves all being wiped out.  (Syrup or Cinnamon-Sugar?) 

• Like 4

I use tomatillos in green salsa and green chili enchilada sauce. 

Tomatillo info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomatillo

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a19526696/tomatillo-nutrition-facts/

Tomatillos look like small green tomatoes with papery husks. After peeling off the husk, you can eat tomatillos raw or cooked, and they taste like a cross between a tomato and a tart strawberry. One cup of chopped tomatillos has just 42 calories and is packed with vitamin C and vitamin K. Plus, tomatillos contain lutein and zeaxanthin—carotenoids that may boost eye health. As a salsa: Roast a pound of husked tomatillos, one seeded jalapeno, and one halved onion in a 450°F oven for 20 minutes. Puree with the juice of one lime, then season. Eat with grilled chicken.

Tomatillo recipes:

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/tomatillo-recipes

https://www.saveur.com/tomatillo-recipes/

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=tomatillo

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ambergris said:

Amazing track shift.  Amazing.

Not a done deal, but we are all shaking our heads.  Lots of thanksgiving going on too.

Yesss!  It looks better each time I check the Doppler!

Keep prepping/praying but .....looks like you might get a 'buy'.   THEN hurricane parties would be safe and appropriate!  :balloons:  :band:  :balloons:  

MtRider :pray:   continuing... 

• Like 2

My sweet potatoes and okra are both still producing and poblano peppers.  That's about it.

I'm so glad the hurricane has headed Northerly!

Taking a day off today, except for writing a few eBay drafts, and I'm done with that!

0822191355b.jpgI can transfer a photo from one site to another.  Better than nothing!

Meet Oreo! He is a Feist mix and about 2 years old. Found as a stray with neck and leg wounds from being tied up somewhere. He will come live with us in less than a week!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TheCG......  so glad you and yours are all fine.  Not Again. Not Again.  Not Again.  Not Again.  Not Again.  :pray:   :yar:  

Hellllo, Oreo!  Darling needs a good home with you, Miki and MrMiki!!!  :wub:

H. Dorian.....has now developed a stray potential strand....just a possible route...that doesn't miss landfall.  But H.Dorian has been acting on it's own and who knows which way it will twitch.  Praying for the people of those Bahama islands where it has been battering at a Cat 5 all day.  Unbelievable LOW pressures!!!  :o  200++ mph wind gusts.  O God, cover the people with Your hand!  Let us hear of miraculous survival there! 

MtRider   ....doing some little chores that accumulated while my back was turned.... :tapfoot:  ;) 

• Like 3

Good Morning,   :bouquet:

Happy Labor Day.  

It is a wonderfully cool, humid, 75 degrees this morning. Mostly clear skies.  Yesterday, we had vicious winds, dust, clouds, lightning, and thunder.  And, the storms swirled right around us, again. We got a couple rain drops, literally.  I’m glad I decided to water the garden anyway.  

Today’s agenda includes paying bills, and doing the monthly books, plus I will need to go to the store for our monthly supplies.  

Dove season seems to have started yesterday.  The gun shots started around dawn. They were/are out there this morning also.  I wonder how many dove I will see when I feed them this morning.  :(  Considering, most hunters only take the breast, it seems like a waste of time, but, if I needed to hunt them for food, I believe I’d use the whole bird...bone soup is nutritious.  

Miki, that’s a cute puppy. I guess you are anxiously awaiting his arrival.  

Time for for me to get back at my ToDo list...

• Like 2

Obsessively watching the hurricane track shift a bit to the east, a bit to the west, as they try to guess where it will make that all-important northward turn.

The town is filling up with refugees.  Very testy refugees.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Miki, that’s a cute puppy. I guess you are anxiously awaiting his arrival.  

We are!  He may be a challenge to start with as I bet he was tied up outside and he will probably need house training at 2 years old.  Probably a little chaotic for the first month or so and then hopefully settle.  He may be the last pup we bring home as we are getting older and don't want to leave several dogs to re-home when we pass.  The two we have now are older so adding a youngster should be interesting!

Did a lot of walking this morning, already over 8,000 steps. Have laundry going and will start going through clothes in my closet shortly. Trying to keep it sort up to date with changing sizes. Will probably cut some okra today. It is supposed to get up to 100 degrees by Saturday and then gradually come back down.  92 today.

Happy Labor Day to all!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Obsessively watching the hurricane track shift a bit to the east, a bit to the west, as they try to guess where it will make that all-important northward turn.

Yes, I'll just bet you are!

.....so where do you put all the refugees?    Some have mentioned they haven't know whether to EVAC South? North?  West?  :scratchhead:  

MtRider  :pray:

• Like 1

Hopefully, the hurricane won’t be as bad as they are predicting. :pray:

It’s beginning to get light out.  I’ve a ToDo list going.  Balanced the books, got some groceries, and made tater tots & breaded shrimp, in the air fryer for dinner. DH was craving shrimp, yesterday.

That boat fire is sad.  When DH was diving regularly, we took a trip on the sister ship, the Truth.  Conception was moored next to our boat.  I can’t imagine the terror.  

Today’s plans are to make my rounds...water the garden, go to the  post office, bank, market, then, on to the next priorities on my list.  

That storm, that that went around us, started another fire to the east of us. I am hoping/praying they get it put out soon.  That part of the Sonoran desert is/was so beautiful. 

6179B226-7203-4074-9FFB-16FE8C76DEAA.png

• Like 1
On 8/31/2019 at 6:18 PM, snapshotmiki said:

Meet Oreo! He is a Feist mix and about 2 years old. Found as a stray with neck and leg wounds from being tied up somewhere. He will come live with us in less than a week!

Cute name, that Oreo. Over the years we took in a few dogs from the County Dog Pound. They were always our most loyal companions.  :happy0203:  Had mom come for the weekend to see fireworks at the local racetrack and help me snap some late season beans. She said that I worked her like she did me when I was a kid.  :grinning-smiley-044:  I would give her small bowls to work on. She had given me turkey roasters overflowing with green beans. She forgot that part.   :whistling:  All in all, we had a great time together and talked a lot about her childhood as we harvested a tiny part of the garden.  :hug3:

• Like 4
On 8/31/2019 at 10:36 AM, kappydell said:

For now, we are battening down the hatches in the yard, putting away things that will blow away, doing laundry (in case power goes, we will have clean clothes) and getting generators ready.  We got 15 gal gas on Wednesday, before the rush began.  Lines are already forming at the gas stations and motels are already full.

Have you seen this remark???      :twister3: :0327: :shakinghead: 

AOC.JPG.ce633ee6e0f9b4511033558010c67ded.JPG

Yes, it was deleted rather quickly, but not fast enough. This is why you have to be very careful about what you post on social media. Somebody, somewhere is going to have done a screen capture of your post and it will live on forever!!!   :24: :24:  :24:

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
5 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Have you seen this remark???      :twister3: :0327: :shakinghead: 

*snip*

Yes, it was deleted rather quickly, but not fast enough. This is why you have to be very careful about what you post on social media. Somebody, somewhere is going to have done a screen capture of your post and it will live on forever!!!   :24: :24:  :24:

Especially if it's not particularly intelligent...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3