MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Gave my hens the last of their alfalfa, re-lining their nesting boxes, this morning.  Had to separate one, (Curry. She’s about 6 years old, the first one born from the ones given to me.), from the other 5, because they were attacking her.  She ate & drank constantly for 2 days, until she realized she wasn’t going to get attacked.  Sigh.  I didn’t realize it, at first, but, as soon as I noticed what was happening, the jig was up.  She’s doing much better now and the contention in the coop is over.  The other girls are beginning to lay again, after our summer heat.  

Spent the rest of the day driving to TX. Other than one crazy 18 wheeler almost running someone off the road, all went well.  When I passed her, she was praying with a rosary, driving well under the speed limit.  I would have done the same, had I’d been in the same situation, that truck was over 1/2 way in her lane, then, when I passed it, it started drifting into my lane. I layed on the horn, moved into the emergency lane, and gunned the gas, to get past him. Yikes!  

MIL is doing well.  We have to be on the road at 9:30 to pick up several other Ladies for the Chamber of Commerce meeting in the morning.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Oh, and Mom’s internet is very sloooooowwwwww ....  it’s taking several minutes to load a page & post anything..  :sigh:  I might use my Bluetooth & VPN next time.  Great move to DirectTV for upgrading their system & selling out to AT&T......  NOT!!!!  Mom’s land line is now 100% reliant on the internet box.... no power, no phone, no internet service, no phone...  :soapbox:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

That's a good idea keeping them on a paper towel rod like that. I'm going to pick one up to use when I'm in the throes of canning. Beats digging around in a tote. I either get too many ready or not enough. Thanks for the tip! I store my extras, that are new, away on a bent wire hanger. I snipped it off at the top and bent it into a circle. Made a hook out of the loose end and it hooks onto the hanger part. I can unhook it to add more or remove rings. Then I slip a grocery bag over them to keep the dust off. Then I just hang them in a closet. I keep my used ones in a tote so they are handy. I need to get a working camera for some pictures. 

Some of those semi's are so dangerous. It seems like every one of them get right on my bumper before they pass me. I see them coming in my mirror and wonder if they are going to slow down, move over, or hook my back bumper and flip me as they pass. Then toll road up here have a lot of the three car trucks. Don't know that they are called. Piggy back? One little gust of wind and they are swerving all over the lanes. I'm so glad everything turned out the way it did. You must have been so scared. :hug3:

They are trying to do away with all land lines. AT&T told me that if you have one...fine. But they won't install any new ones. At least up here anyway. I'll probably lose mine when I move. Sometimes I think good riddance because I get so many telemarketers it drives me crazy. If I let the answering machine get it the machine beeps every few seconds to alert me I have another #$%& call. Very annoying. I usually hit the hang up button before I even hit the pick up button. It just cuts off. 

The last time I picked up;

She said, "May I speak to (My Name)."

I said "No."

She said, "Is this (My Name)

I said, "To whom do you wish to speak?"

She said, (My Name)

I said, "No".

She...hung up. 

I usually don't engage but I was in the mood to talk to someone. Most of the time it's a recording so you can't even tell them off. 

• Haha 3

I leave my ringer off on my phone because I get so many of those calls. The trip here ticked me off, because I have the Bluetooth on and 8 soliciting calls interrupted my music.  

3 calls left this message:

“..$99 dollars will be auto debited from your account for the computer maintenance .......please call us for a full money rembarrassment....”.    

I’ve never had anyone do any computer maintenance, and what the heck is a money rembarrassment?  Obviously, she mis-pronounced the word.

:008Laughing:

I looked the number up and found the full message:

This is basically from the Microsoft Service Center this is to inform you that your yearly subscription $399.00 will be auto debited from your account for the computer maintenance please contact us to start this service or full money reimbursement please call us at 190-869-8450 extension 9 I repeat 190-869-8450 extension 9 thank you and have a good day.

It’s marked as a severe computer scam.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah I get those too. Also a lot from insurance companies for senior citizens. And Visa and Master card wanting to lower my interest payments. And some resort I stayed at (didn't happen). How to lower my gas or electric bills. And on and on and on...

Next time they ask me how I am I think I'll tell them. In detail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:gaah:  5 robo calls yesterday from MY landline number....  and, of course, I can’t block my own number.    The first one, made me call DH ....   :gaah:  Yeah, right, my “IP has been compromised”.... but, wait, we use VPNs.  :coffeescreen:

Part of my ToDo list, yesterday, was to replace the cord in one of MIL’s curtain Travis rods.  What would have cost her big bucks to hire the specialty curtain company, my total cost was less than $3.00 for the new cord.  :amen:

Today’s ToDo, is pulling more weeds, then, plumbing....  God willing it will turn out to be a simple fix.  Her regular plumber charges mileage, hourly rates and loves to talk.  You get the picture.  

Mom is actually getting used to using my tablet, with a stylus.  All month, every cute and interesting animal video I’ve found, I saved for her.  She spent a couple hours watching them. Then, asking questions to search the net for answers, lol.  Like, who makes the Genesis car?  What is tofu made from? What does butternut squash look like?  Etc. Makes her smile to find out.  But, she still insists she doesn’t want a smart phone or any type of computer.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Mom is actually getting used to using my tablet, with a stylus.  All month, every cute and interesting animal video I’ve found, I saved for her.  She spent a couple hours watching them. Then, asking questions to search the net for answers, lol.  Like, who makes the Genesis car?  What is tofu made from? What does butternut squash look like?  Etc. Makes her smile to find out.  But, she still insists she doesn’t want a smart phone or any type of computer.  

Maybe...she just needs an encyclopedia.

• Haha 1

Standing freezer on the porch was working Monday.  This morning, it was making some awful noise, so I checked it.  Everything was room temperature.  No telling how long.  DS1 is busy, and DS2 is out of town.  I have been emptying it into bags, sealing the bags, and making lists (with prices where I can still read on the bloody, smelly paper) to see if it's enough to bother making a claim against the homeowner's insurance.  I am dead beat, and it's not eleven oc'ok in the morning.

• Sad 4
1 minute ago, Ambergris said:

Standing freezer on the porch was working Monday.  This morning, it was making some awful noise, so I checked it.  Everything was room temperature.  No telling how long.  DS1 is busy, and DS2 is out of town.  I have been emptying it into bags, sealing the bags, and making lists (with prices where I can still read on the bloody, smelly paper) to see if it's enough to bother making a claim against the homeowner's insurance.  I am dead beat, and it's not eleven oc'ok in the morning.

Ewwwwwwww.  No bueno.

• Like 1

Aww...Ambergris.  That's an awful mess.....and expense if you don't get any insurance action.  :(

Too bad they don't have a standard in the fridge/freezer industry....alarms if the temp changes too much. 

Annarchy and TheCG.....are you getting stuff from Emelda?

We could use some rain.  I want that treacherous lumpy/bumpy/muffler-stealing section back in my road!  :shakinghead:  ...BeCAUSE now that it's smoothed out, Dog and I are getting run off the road.  Everyone is traveling at 65 mph on this winding, gravel road.  Being on the side of the road ....isn't safe enough.  I'm taking us DOWN into the ditch....and still hoping they don't lose connection with road surface and follow us!  :behindsofa:    And that's not even talkin' about the amount of DUST they're spinning up!  :ph34r:

MtRider  .....rethinking the HEALTH benefits of walking the dog...  :tapfoot: 

• Like 1

Aw Ambergis, I'm sorry to hear that. I know the mess. I had my side by side fridge/freezer go out on me and I didn't know it. Not as bad as a deep freezer though.

Insurance 'should' take care of some of all of the loss. But be careful and make sure it's worth it because usually after you turn in a claim, they raise your rate. 

I had a run in with my bumper and a large animal once. After the deductible, it wouldn't cost that much more to pay for it myself. Some companies have a first time claim forgiveness policy but I didn't want to waste it on a small amount. 

• Like 2

Food loss is right about what the deductible is, so no-go there.  They think the compressor went bad, which is not surprising given that it's at least 15 years old and the cheapest stand-up unit I could lay my hands on.  Replacing the unit or the compressor, whichever they choose to do, will cost $75.  I'm only out the food.   Could be worse.  And if I'd happened to check it say Wednesday or Thursday, would have been able to cook the food and throw cooked food in the other freezer.  So.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

LOL on the telemarketer calls!  I thought I was the only one.  Lately I have been calling them back (my phone gets unlimited calls, soooo.....) Then I engage them in a conversation as to why they called me?  I challenge their statements "You can have a free cruise....Really?  Oh Boy!  Are you going to pay the port tax, loading fees and all?...CLICK."  "Our records show you were inquiring about employment...Oh?  When?  Which job?....CLICK."   "Your account will be frozen due to tax irregularities....Oh?  You work for WHO?  I have to call you back, the cat just fell in the toilet..." CLICK.  Insurance, personal alarm devices, hearing aids, and medicare / social security scam, and fund raisers a-plenty.  They hang up when I start asking how much of my donations actually get to the supposed recipients and how I can get a look at their records.  To a activist trying to get me to vote their way: "Gee, I wish I could get a job telling other folks how to live....got any openings?...."CLICK.  Toying with them makes me feel less frustrated.  My favorite one with repeat callers is "How many times now have I told you No....my count is thirty".....CLICK.  I am much more cheerful about those pests since I started doing it.  I guess everybody needs a hobby......

Yesterday I went for my 6 month cancer doc visit.  She was visibly delighted with my blood test, said I had "perfect" blood test results, and thanked me for the info on my vitamin supplementation regime.  Also gave me a prescription for antibiotic due to getting spiked by a catfish on Wednesday's fishing outing.  He got me good, too, we had to cut the spike to get him off, then yank it out with pliers.  (Those li'l buggers have barbs.)  Then squeeze to make it bleed, rinse with some bottled water, wipe with alcohol (if it burns its working!) and triple antiboitic before the band aids.  THEN back to fishing.  Caught only one keeper, but it was fun hanging out with our friends on the boat!  

Today was quiet.  Not much going on, my biggest adventure was charging up the little cripple-scooter in the garage, and taking it for a test drive after dark, spotlight in one hand, bumping over the lawn ruts.  No springs!  We are thinking of teaching Jack (our high energy dog) to "heel" alongside, then take him for a jog to burn off some of that energy.  He would love the one-on-one time and would eagerly take on the "job" of going for a run each day.  He dearly treasures his "jobs" and performs them with gusto, and if he does not get any jobs he gets into mischief!  Typical of the Assie breed, we are told.  

Each dog has a personal "job"....Max (oldest dog) goes outside to lay by our rest chairs in the shade, and supervise when we do lawn work.  Dodger (shepherd mix) goes to help M. feed the deer.  Jack goes out when I get & water the outside kitties - they have learned when he barks with excitement at those times he is "calling" them for chow & fresh water, and come running.  I don;t even have to call them, he does it for me, LOL.  Duke (rescue chihuahua) is my lap-guard.  He grumbles and challenges anybody else who wants lam time, then grudgingly allows them to join in the cuddle after I pet him & tell him they are OK.  He also sleeps between my feet in bed.  (Mary has several others who guard her, too.).  Jack sleeps in the bathroom on the cool tiles, and monitors the indoor feline activities at night.  If the parrot gets down & starts wandering around he will position himself standing over her to keep the cats from pestering her and barks to get attention so she can be returned to her perch (and fed peanuts to encourage her to stay there).  Any scolding gets her stock reply...."Ohhh?"  (Rebellious critter.)  We praise Jack for protecting her (he eats it up).    His bark though, can be piercing, and he does not understand (or obey) the command "be quiet" one bit.  (Still trying to figure out how to teach him that one.)

We are looking into shade cloth for next summers' garden.  Some sources say that it will also protect from light frosts, too.  I'm thinking 75% shade on the top & west side to keep the tomatoes from frying on the vine next year, and to extend the spring harvest season a bit.  Should not be too hard (or expensive) to set it up.  So now it the time to plan so we can  do the building during the cooler 'winter' season.    I also want to build some small wattle walls to enclose a compost heap - it will be a good way to use some of the long branch trimmings from our logging duties and save us money while still hiding our compost heaps.  Once I learn to make relatively attractive wattle walls, maybe I can use the technique to make cold frames for seed starting?   Hmmmmmm.    

I picked up copies of my MRIs & the reports that go with them to show to a different neurologist for my lower back surgery.  The new one works out of a much more highly rated hospital (and our friends recommend him, and the hospital highly).  So hopefully I can get the rest of my surgery completed by years' end.  While reading the reports & looking at the disks I found that I have a hiatal hernia which had me worried a bit until I researched it and discovered that supposedly 60%  of women over 60 have them and surgery is rarely required unless it gets pinched/twisted.  Good grief, I'm falling apart even more!  Oh well, one more anomaly to monitor.  Who wants to be normal (let alone perfect) anyway!    :cheeky-smiley-067:

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3
On 9/21/2019 at 10:57 AM, Ambergris said:

Sorry to hear that.  

When I was a kid, we took a family vacation with my grandparents.   I went home with my grandparents and the most awful smell greeted us as we walked in the door.   Their fridge/freezer died sometime in the 2 weeks we were on vacation, in the middle of summer.    Grandpa was my hero because he sent me and Grandma to the neighbor's house while he cleaned up.    More than 30 years ago,  and I still remember how bad it smelled.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
16 hours ago, kappydell said:

We praise Jack for protecting her (he eats it up).    His bark though, can be piercing, and he does not understand (or obey) the command "be quiet" one bit.  (Still trying to figure out how to teach him that one.)

There's a technique called "free shaping." When you catch them doing the thing you WANT them to do, you REWARD it. Eventually you can add a word command to the behavior and then reward THAT when he complies.  Eventually you will have a dog that will be quiet on command. :D

Shaping is based on "clicker training." You have to "load" the clicker so that they understand that the sound it makes = good things happen. You can look up these terms on the interwebs and find vids on YouTube for how to do this. Just make sure that whoever you are "learning" from is a Positive Reinforcement trainer and not an Alpha dog/dominance theory old school fossil. :happy0203:

This page gives an excellent synopsis of the method I am talking about.

http://woofsandiego.com/rainy-day-dog-training-games-using-free-shaping-and-positive-reinforcement/

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1
On 9/16/2019 at 10:00 PM, Jeepers said:

Also my Pre-diabetes is wonkie too. It's so strange but I'm not processing insulin correctly when I'm fasting. Like over night when my stomach is empty. When I was in Indy I slept one night for 12 hours and when I got up and tested my level it was 420!!! Anything over 125 while fasting is diabetic. Later that night after normal eating, it was down in the 100 range. I take my meds at bedtime. I told D-ex about it and he blew a gasket. Saying that doesn't make any sense and how can that be possible. Like I was making it up. X for a reason. She upped that dosage too. 

On 9/18/2019 at 4:43 AM, Ambergris said:

I am not a medical person, but I would think you need to be eating more proteins, less starch.  Not just less fruit.

Jeepers, Ambergris is correct about reducing all of the starches you are consuming, not just the fruit. Diabetes is the inability for the body to self-regulate glucose.

If you are on FB this is a very good group to follow: Type 2 Diabetes Rebels - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1752321458323821/

There are also some very good pages to follow on YouTube that discuss diet (low carb and keto) for controlling blood sugars. Let me know if you need any help finding them.  <3

• Like 1
19 hours ago, kappydell said:

getting spiked by a catfish

Ow ow ow ow OWWWW!  I'm wincing just reading that.  Hope you got to eat him! 

19 hours ago, kappydell said:

get the rest of my surgery completed by years' end.

:pray: 

Well we sure do need some rain.  The aspens ...some, not all  {wouldn't want to ruin CO's Golden Aspen tourism} ;) .....  are fading to grey this year.  We're guessing too dry...but I'm not sure.  Also we're wondering if a rain would perk them up and they'd turn golden after all???   Don't know that either.  Vaguely remember them doing this Fade To Grey before.  :shrug:   And the Golden season is LATE this year.  We haven't even had a frost yet where we live.  There are some just turning Golden now....so pretty! 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Wattle and daub works for seed-bed walls.  Wattle alone lets the cold through.

OK, good to know, thank you, thank you, thank you!  Plenty of clay around for daub, LOL.  It would be a mini brick house, LOL.  

Midnightmom we don't want to use that allpha dog stuff with Jack.  He is bright, but a little insecure (think he was a puppy mill pup and had little socialization) and that would confuse and frighten him, causing rebellion.  He is so eager to please that the positive reinforcement works wonders (and besides, we find much less trauma to the dog than using the old way).  That was a cool synopsis & article.  Tonight we tried having Jack "heel" alongside the little cripple scooter, and he got a big charge out of the new trick.  The exercise seemed to calm him, too, so we will incorporate 'road work' into his schedule to give him a mission and help keep him fit.  I walk too slow & awkwardly to do it so the scooter was perfect.  

• Like 2