MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Finished up jarring up all the sweet potatoes we bought at the Swap n Shop last Friday...1s0# for 5$?  Got 9 pints the first load and 7 today...put a couple of jars of beans to fill up the space...added some tomato juice and some molasses to the beans.  They'll be okay being processed at the 65 minutes, just not as tender as if processed at 75.  I'll just have to cook them longer when I pour them out of their jar.  That gives us a nice winter supply of sweet potatoes though!  Abby-girl got some chunks that were not canning worthy :-)

• Like 3

Did some of the laundry yesterday and again today.  There's been no breeze so they just don't dry on my outside line, so I have to hang them on my inside line.  No problem.  I did clear out the area where the oil heater sits and got it ready for cold weather.  It's the only heat source out there in the cold weather.  It never freezes out there, but to dry my laundry it needs to be warmer...and we have a ceiling fan out there so it actually dries clothes faster in cooler weather.

• Like 2

We opened the windows, turned off the a/c a couple of weeks ago...now it's getting much cooler at night!  No problem during the day time (especially when I'm canning) but it looks like summer packed her bags, fall rained all over us and took off???, and now winter is threatening to blast through???!  Even had to put the fleece blanket back on our bed, bring out Abby-girls fleece bed and put it on her mattress, and we wore long pj's to bed last night! 

• Like 2

Footnote!  At the swap n shop I finally found myself a small washboard!  I've been looking for one for a long time but just was not going to pay the big bucks everybody seemed to want!  Well we saw one and the guy wanted 15$ and I offered 10$..he said no.  So I turned to hubby and said "I know God has one for me for 10$ and I just need to find it".  We walked about 100 yds and another vendor had one for 10$...I offered 8$ and I got myself a washboard!  Now why would I need one?  Hubby gets the belly of this work t-shirts really grimmy and I just couldn't seem to find anything to take the stains out.  So I took my bar of lye soap, my washboard, a stiff brush...and his shirts look great!  I told him "Honey...back in the day...wives didn't throw out stained clothes, they got them clean!  If they didn't come clean they became rags etc. for other uses".  Am I dating myself?

• Like 4

Dang it Amber that is the second time I have gotten the D and B vitamins mixed up! Thank You! 

I got the pill bottle out to look. Kinda sad, huh. My memory is terrible these days. Okay. It's vitamin D-3 I'm deficient in. 

D-3. I'm going to have to relook everything up and forget about everything I just read about B-3. Well yeah shouldn't be too hard. Sigh. :blush:

• Like 2
On 10/7/2019 at 9:20 PM, Mt_Rider said:

IF it's related to MS, probably the same thing.  I tried to google it [or rather 'duckduckGo' it] and came up with 'Afternoon Slide' which I can certainly understand too.  Just gotta work around it....plowing thru it might work in a pinch, but not a good full time plan.

Ants...ugh!  Does Terro help with your type of ants?  Read that Maui now has a small version of Fire Ants.  Aaaaugh! 

They were talking about it in relation to POTS and dysautonomia in general.  Not sure if that involves MS, but it seems to me like it should.

I mixed up peppermint oil and water and have been spraying like crazy around the kitchen and the rest of where we're seeing them.

• Like 1

Well, my washer broke yesterday.  It’s always had a problem balancing, since day one. Even a small load of just socks, has been unbalanced.  At first, it would stop itself, refill, and try again to spin. One load actually took 5 hours to wash & spin. :banghead:

Then, it decided to just walk itself across the porch, until I could get there & push the button to stop it...wait 10-15 minutes before it released the locked lid, readjust the load & try again.  I’ve been finding small pieces of broken plastic around it, for about a year. I knew this day was coming.  It scared our gardener when he was mowing, when it went off balance.  Lol.  

Our gardener texted me this morning, saying someone at work is selling one. :amen:  Perfect timing. DH will have to check it out, because I’m leaving for TX today.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

TheCG, I have POTS. Sort of a mild case of it but I still have it.  Sometimes it's hard to stay upright. Especially when I stand up. Doesn't matter how slowly I change positions. 

My dryer went out. See, if we lived closer I could wash and you could dry. Of course the clothes need to be folded right out of the dryer to prevent wrinkles. Just saying... :engel-smilies-10-1:

Have a safe trip Annie!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TheCG said:

POTS and dysautonomia

" Dysautonomia refers to a wide range of conditions that affect the autonomic nervous system "  

Quite a different critter as to cause than mine.  MS is a disruption of message transmission along the central nervous systemAutonomic is "automatic" things like heart, lungs, internal organs.....all of which go about their business of keeping us functioning/alive with little or zero input from us.  This system usually isn't affected by MS at all...which is why we usually stay alive.  Our basic life functions are still mostly normal.  Die WITH MS not FROM it.   Note: I keep saying "usually".  There certainly is folks who die directly or indirectly from MS.  Sometimes I think it just wears a body down.  Or trigger underlying other things?  :shrug:  Dunno.  I'm personally not considering mine a reason for death anytime soon.

For anyone interested:

Reason for difference in where there is myelin or not, is the NEED for the myelin sheath on some nerves.  My somewhat awkward explanation of myelin: a coating that helps enable message transmission ...and is needed for functions that are highly complex.  Eyes...optic nerve is heavily myelinated due to intense complexity.   MS folks might have all sorts of issues with vision...including partial or intermittent blindness.   Any intentional movement we do also requires extremely fast processing.  Especially fine-motor movement!!! Gross motor motion...not as much.  If I'm doing poorly, I will walk stiff legged....leaving out the complexity of the knee joint...lest it malfunction and give way on under me.  Gross motor vs Finer motor.  Finger motion is very fine motor activity. 

[ I consider reflexive motion in a completely different category... and again, not usually affected by my MS.  Cuz it's technically not entirely "intentional" motion.  Like typing.] 

With MS, somehow the myelin sheath is not whole and intact.   [don't ask for that explanation...I'm not sure "they" know exactly yet]  THAT causes disruption in the "flow of data" so to speak.  In computer terms, you can see how missing data will mess up the end result.  In a human body the intermittent, missing, or misdirected data results in all sorts of creative and weirdo motions/non-motions.  :sassing:  

===================

Here is a reality:  Any of us who have a condition or disease that weakens us, are like canaries in the mines.  If the environment is compromised in some way, WE will likely be under strain first.  The massive weather changes affect everyone to some extent.  Like:  deep barometric changes or simply the usual changes in Fall or Spring.  All of you....tho you might not notice.  But I will be one who may get knocked down with those increased physical stress factors.....cuz I'm more vulnerable to start with. 

That means it won't just be a person with MS that feels a drop in functioning in Fall/Spring.  Anyone with a system already under strain can feel Fall/Spring.  Or not.  I don't feel the strain in Spring....don't know why.  Some MS folks feel Spring more than Fall.  With MS....seems like NOTHING is For-Sure-All-The-Time.  :shrug:    That's good and bad.  I haven't felt Fall Fatigue in the past couple years.  YAY!  Feeling it this year.  :buttercup:   Ah well, it comes and goes.  

MtRider  :faint3:  :hapydancsmil:  :faint3:  :hapydancsmil:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So...POTS is the opposite of Orthostatic Hypotension..which I've always had.  My blood pressure goes DOWN when I stand up or sit up too fast.  It's supposed to raise up just a bit to account for the upright body position.  I've always had nicely low BP and still do tho not quite as low.  Then it drops and :imoksmiley: 

Have a safe trip, Annarchy!!!  :hi: 

MtRider  ....battening down hatches for a drastic drop in temperature.....WINTER COMETH!  :frozen: 

• Like 2

Yep, it's a roaster. It was easier to look it up on Sam's site than to go digging through the Jeep. 

Darn, Darn, Darn. 

Now I can't insert a link to here from Kindle. I'm sure it's user error but I don't have a clue what I'm doing wrong on this thing. I did it once before. I really need a new computer to do these "complicated" things on.  :gaah:

• Like 2

:balloons:  :hapydancsmil:The CIRCUS TENT is FINALLLLY DOWN...DECOMMISSIONED...NOT A SAGGING EYESORE!!!  :hapydancsmil:  :balloons:  

Whew...the intentional use for that thing was a few weeks.  Hmph!  It became a story that could not end.  It was mostly down last spring but only today we got all the side tarps [which survived fairly well] and alllll of that leaky danged roof tarp outta there. A few oddments I took up to the goat house.  Potting soil.  2 chairs that should join the other two in storage.  Garage junk.  Today was dry....it has been dry for weeks.  DH got horses set up on the side with shelter....scrubbed the water tank and filled it.  He broke down many old, water-damaged boxes and stuffed them into trash bags.  I broke down a bucket... :o  Foot went right thru the side.  Gets so arid here, even plastic can get brittle.  Shattered.

Tomorrow.... :behindsofa:  .....mebbe some snow.  Definitely not 75* and breezy like today.  Probably in the lower single digits.  We only began to frost a few days ago!!!  The pond is still completely water.  Sooo not ready for winter.  Lost our snowplow guy too.

Owwww....my fingers are so strained that I can hardly type.  Wow, this is gonna hurt bad in the next 24 hrs.  :groooansmileyf:

MtRider  ...SOOOOOOOO glad the 10x20' dog kennel is back to original use...with a pallet and wood floor.  :amen:

• Like 3

Glad you go the big top down and the circus is out of town. I know it's been bothering you. 

Do you have another person in mind to do your plowing? I know I sweat it out every year at this time  I hope my guy still does it this winter. Then it's a worry in the spring hoping the lawn guy will come back. 

It's starting to cool off here too. I can feel it in the house at night. I don't think we hit a 90 degree day this year. Maybe 1-2 but I don't think so. Then again I wasn't outside much this year so I could have missed it.

• Like 3

Jarred up 4 pints of sliced apples in sugar and molasses.  Still have about half of a 10# bag of apples that we need to either eat or put up.  I knew we'd never get the whole bag eaten in time to save them so I jarred some up.  Used my electric pressure cooker to cook the apples in and then water bathed them...along with 3 pints of water!  Didn't want my jars banging around...I water bath in a stainless steel stock pot with a glass lid so I was able to keep a close eye on them. We'll surely enjoy them later!  I cut the apple slices and leave the skins on, and then in my electric cooker, I just add the sugar, add the molasses and then the cinnamon (no liquids) and set it on "steam" for 20 minutes.  Makes plenty of liquid to pour over the apples once they are in the jars.  Tasted the liquid...oh my!  Why would anybody want to add brown sugar when they can get the "real" thing with sugar and molasses!?

• Like 4

Mmmmm, apples.  They don’t go on sale here until around Thanksgiving. Pumpkins are still over $2/lb. sigh.

Made it to TX with out any incidents.  Did see a lifted pickup truck, one car in front of me, blow a back tire.  The car in front was tailgating and almost crashed, when it blew. Don’t people understand leaving space enough to stop in case of emergency? Meh, no harm, no foul.  They sure slowed down after that.

Be glad you have MS, Mt_Rider, not that it’s a good thing, I worry about you too.  My Papa and my twin brothers have MD.  It does effect the internal muscles.  The Drs always test their hearts, lungs, and other internal organs.  Papa’s effected his lung muscles, in the end, but  99% of his primary muscles while growing up.  He constantly stressed learning and practicing, using secondary muscles.  It helped a lot when I messed up my back.  I’m beginning to really be concerned about my little brothers, they’ve mentioned certain things that are directly related to MD.  And they are only in their 40’s.  

Jeepers, what is your time frame for moving to your new house.  Maybe you won’t have to be concerned about your lawn guy.  

Time for me to get some sleep.  Mom has a CoC meeting in the morning and has volunteered me, again, to be the designated driver.  Lol.

• Like 2

My time frame for moving...last year. 

I'm going to work my butt off this winter in this house getting packed up and doing what little fixing up I can get away with. It's so daunting doing it all alone. I get motivated and then something comes up and I'm right back to square one. Son and DIL and D-ex have all offered to help. I will take son up on his offer but I have to go through the stuff myself. He would either move it all or pitch it all. D-ex offered to pay for a U-Haul for me to tow over there but I told him I'm not strong enough to pack it up. And back to square one...First I have to have boxes packed up ready to go into the U-Haul. That's where son will come in. But he would have to drive over here load up a U-Haul and drive right back to Indiana. I'd love to get a small U-Haul truck to drive over there but how would I get back to Ohio. Too expensive to drive it over and keep it for a couple of days then drive it back here empty. Then again who is going to load the thing. They have small regular van but there is the loading them up issue. And driving an empty van back home. 

I'm probably doing a little better than I give myself credit for. The kitchen is probably 90% packed up and the dining room about 80% packed. I did take a lot of big pictures off of the walls in the living room and took them over. Also some hats I had hanging on the dinning room wall. It wasn't a lot but it looks like it made a big dent. I took other stuff too. If my cousin was still here we would have had this knocked out in no time. Singing, dancing around, laughing at everything. We worked well together and had fun doing it. I miss her a lot. 

Deleted last sentence. It made absolutely no sense. I suspect I was sleep typing.  Something about sleep poop. FYI, that didn't happen. Must have had a little gas bubble while asleep and decided to document it.  :blush:

Edited by Jeepers
Sleep Typing?
  • Like 6
50 minutes ago, TheCG said:

Oh, and the ants are still coming.  Time to buy actual ant poison, I suppose.  What can I use in the kitchen that won't highly disturb me and make me continuously clean for the next week?

I tried a very small dish, I used a store bought jar lid, made a mixture of 1/2 borax & 1/2 sugar, using a cotton ball, mixed in some water, enough to desolve the dry stuff.  Then, put it in a couple corners where the ants were.  A couple days later, I didn’t see any more.  I’m not sure if I got the ingredients or amount right, but we haven’t had them inside the house since.  Thank God.  Those little buggers are relentless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, TheCG said:

I think the weather changes in October just mess with everyone.

Another cold front blowing in tonight.  Going from a high of 92 to a high of 62.  69 on Saturday, then back up to 86 on Sunday.

The evening weather forecast here, was saying the cold front is coming from Mt_Rider’s area, which is probably why you are getting it before it hits Mom’s house.  Stay warm & healthy Lady.  

• Like 1
On 10/9/2019 at 10:36 AM, Annarchy said:

Well, my washer broke yesterday.  It’s always had a problem balancing, since day one. Even a small load of just socks, has been unbalanced.  At first, it would stop itself, refill, and try again to spin. One load actually took 5 hours to wash & spin. :banghead:

Then, it decided to just walk itself across the porch, until I could get there & push the button to stop it...wait 10-15 minutes before it released the locked lid, readjust the load & try again.  I’ve been finding small pieces of broken plastic around it, for about a year. I knew this day was coming.  It scared our gardener when he was mowing, when it went off balance.  Lol.  

Our gardener texted me this morning, saying someone at work is selling one. :amen:  Perfect timing. DH will have to check it out, because I’m leaving for TX today.  

Our brand new washer was horribly unbalancing, even empty loads. Enought to smash up the outer panels.    It had a broken balance ring and bent leg springs.    [The box it came in had a crushed corner, too.   I say they dropped it.]

• Sad 4