MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

1 hour ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

I made a dentist appointment for me for next week.    I shouldn't have put this off so long.    :sigh:    Hoping it doesn't mean more time in THE CHAIR.  :hidingsmile:

:runcirclsmiley2:

:pray:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday was house cleaning and made an appetizer for last night of revival get together.

Today, I have re-potted an African Violet that was a gift (and I haven't killed yet even though it is in the house). Have to hem a pair of my slacks and then make spaghetti for DH. Maybe make more Pumpkin Angel Food Cake appetizers as we may have company tomorrow or Saturday.  

I ordered an 18 qt roaster from Walmart so I can be more efficient when canning dog food since I have more to do now with the new pup.  Also got a second weight set a few weeks ago so I can run 2 pressure canners at once--Presto- a 16 qt. and a 23 qt.  

Tomorrow I will hit a grocery store about 10 miles away.  They have boneless skinless chicken for 99 cents a pound and I intend to stock up so I can grind some for sausage and burger as well as have plenty on hand for us and dog food.  They have a few other things on sale I will get too!

Finally getting cool weather on Saturday --70-- so I have a kid coming over to help me deep clean the goat shed.  It's a twice a year job.  

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Be glad you have MS, Mt_Rider, not that it’s a good thing, I worry about you too.  My Papa and my twin brothers have MD.  It does effect the internal muscles

ABSOLUTELY!  :amen:   I have always said:  If you must have a dirty-rotten disease, MS is one of the better ones.  Not usually life-threatening.  Often gets better....then mebbe worse...then better.  MOST folks remain ambulatory.....that's something most don't know.  I've held so well thru the decades....a lot of that is due to horseback riding.  And being active and in fresh air, chiro care, herbs/nutrition, etc.  Ageing has not been helpful these past 5 yrs or so.  :grinning-smiley-044:  There is a lot of rough stuff but....I can't think of any other disease I'd trade it for....  So sorry your family has MD.  That's really harsh.  Good friend's Grson [age 11 now] has one of the versions of MD.  :pray: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Sad 2

Wanna hear what I did last nite AFTER the long day of heavy labor?  :buttercup:   Well I remembered, while talking to my mom on the phone, that the window where DH removed the A/C needed to be locked.  So I set phone down [on speaker] and climbed onto the seat of my small, LazyBoy type chair.  Usually I can reach over it to the window.  Except this house 'dances' with the seasons and those windows can get stuck fast if not moved by fall.  We had one stuck open 2" all winter once.  Crammed with insulation, etc.  Crazy house!

Well yes, this needed the upper casement to lift a smidge in order to get the latch to lock.  So I stepped backwards off the chair...intending to move chair out of the way and access the window fully. 

:cheeky-smiley-067::twister3:  :sassing: 

I forgot the dog was laying right by my chair and I stepped on her rear......causing her to go flying OUTTA THERE.....causing me to crash land with R shoulder blade SMACKING against bookshelf as I SAT on floor. 

Aware that my mom has heard all this from the nearby phone on speaker ..... but I give a loud yell for DH.  Then I hollered out to phone:  I'm OK.   I think.  Sheeeesh!.  Yes, dog was ok but wary...as in:  what happened and why was I a part of it?????  After helping me up, DH pulled out the chair and I did get the window up and locked as planned.  Took Tylenol early and 2 Nuprin before bed.  Slept well and woke up with just a lot of expected muscle weariness from the CIRCUS DEMOLITION yesterday.  I've just begun to ache again...including calves from STEEP HILL/STAIR climbing and my shoulderblade/muscles also.  'Nother Nuprin.  I'm surprised and pleased that nothing is worse. 

AND we've been having snow...off and on.  Not a lot....need ANY moisture. 

MtRider  .....see Jeepers.  You aren't the only one that takes these graceful tumbles!  :curtsey: 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

:pray:  Wondering how Ambergris is doing????  :pray:  

Her surgery was supposed to be on Tuesday.  Had to go back and look it up....can't remember any specifics these days.  Let alone I still think it's September....  :hidingsmile:

MtRider  :pray: 

• Like 2

I was thinking about Ambergris too. :pray:

Mt. Rider, sorry about your spill. Doesn't it always seem like a pet is right under our feet making it worse. You have had way too much excitement for awhile. On a positive note, at least you know what year it is and aren't rushing around to get medical things done in 2019 thinking it's 2020 already. :ashamed0002:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A wild two days getting mom's bedroom empty in time for the new bed arriving today. DH and nephew lent their strong shoulders and removed the old number bed. The movers were scheduled to arrive today around the time the fire department shuts down the facility and sets off all the alarms. They're loud enough to drive a dog insane. I guess the alarms are loud because many of the people at the retirement community are hard of hearing.  :whistling:

We prayed at breakfast that the bed movers could get in and out before the fire department arrived. They did it!!!  :cele: Otherwise, the furniture company would have rescheduled for another day and mama's old bed was already gone!!!   :wave:  God is merciful to my fried brain.  :imoksmiley:  This afternoon I tried to teach mom how to use the new power bed. The remote is quite simple. She just wanted me to take her shopping.   :grinning-smiley-044:   She may be sorry about 10 pm tonight when she tries to figure out how to lower the bed and get into it.  :24:   At least, we were shopping when the fire dept arrived and set off all the alarms.  :happy0203:   How did those firemen get so young and good looking??  :0327:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Firemen are young, built tough and gorgeous. I have three in my family...all brothers.:D

When I went shopping last week the fire department was testing their alarms. I couldn't believe how loud they were. I was walking across a parking lot when they went off. They about killed my ears. I had to put my fingers in my ears until I got inside the store. I don't know where they originated but I couldn't imagine being any closer to the source. They just kept getting louder and louder. It was awful.

Hope your mom likes her bed. Hope she got in it! I'm with her, shopping beats learning anything technical. Especially a day out with a loved one. :wub:

• Like 3

Oh my.  I forgot what board & budget meetings were like.  After being in finance & business for so many years.  Still,  4 hours of conversations, interjections and such.  Wow, I certainly don’t miss it in the least.  “...All in favor.....all opposed....”. Yikes!  Funny thing, I wrote down observation notes, during the  meetings and mentioned my observations to the Director, then, folded my notes up and put it in my purse, she stopped me and asked for my paper.  Uhmmm, OK.  All it was, were ideas from the various conversations I heard.  She seemed really interested, I interjected, saying, I’m not a board member & couldn’t comment during the meetings, she replied, “...but you are a member...”. I do hope they can resolve some issues, with or without my input.  I really enjoy my friendship with all the Ladies.  My main concern, is, most are in their 80+’s. I can see age taking its toll.  Heavy *Sigh*.

Came home, after dropping off my riders, and took it easy the rest of the day.  Tomorrow, I get working on my ToDo list.  I love MIL so much....:wub:

• Like 5

WE2 I sent you an E-mail from my old account to my new one. It says From Jeepers To WE2 in the subject line. It might be in your spam box.

I found the pot I got at Sam's Club it is a roaster. Good price and it's big too. I plan to make my own low sodium broths:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/20-qt-ss-roaster/prod20296612  

Not much happening around here. Big plans for the weekend is taking a load of papers to the recycle bin. I have some boxes to break down and take too. That will make a decent dent in the garage. I need to get it cleared out better before cold weather sets in. I know I won't work out there in the cold. Waking a crooked path around the Jeep to get in the house isn't cutting it any more. Especially with arms loaded down with grocery bags hanging off of them. Snow and slush from the Jeep will only make it worse.

• Like 5

I found out the nerve block works very well.  Some of us react unpredictably to medications, so this is great news.  But it ran out, and the pills that replace it make me goofy without killing the pain.  Luckily the pain just comes in waves now, not all the time.

I'm seeing the pain management guy on Wednesday.

• Like 3

Glad you checked in, Ambergris!!!  We're all hoping you're getting thru this painful aftermath.....and looking toward better function when this stage is past.  :pray:    It's always nice to have options for pain relief!!!   I wish I could have an alternative to anesthesia.  Pop in - if briefly.  You must be VERY worn out!  

Testing alarms in elder homes.  :sassing:   They'd find me burrowed under the bed or in closet with all my bedding covering my head and EARS!  Loud noise destroys my nervous system. 

We went from low 70s on Wednesday .....and were at ZERO last nite.  :frozen:   Pond still mostly water.  Warmed up to upper 30s today.  Warm and dry for the near forecast.  

Was not too functional today.  Ache in places....shoulder blade.  But not any real PAIN.  Glad I didn't slam bookshelf any harder....cuz it was not a controlled landing.  Mostly a rest day.  DH got to P.O. to mail off my stuff to cousin and return books I'd borrowed from MO friend YEARS ago.  :behindsofa:  OOops.  And I left a message at county animal control for a woman we've met...regarding horses.  :shrug: 

MtRider  ....suddenly so VERY TIRED .... 

• Sad 4

Today’s forecast was right, 50* this morning and only got up into the 60*. 

Mom turned on the heater and it didn’t come on.  Waiting most of the day for the company that installed it. His bad.  Apparently, mom didn’t like the new thermostat that he installed, had him put the old one back on and he wired it wrong.  :shakinghead:

I went to the store for Lime-Away, then, worked on removing the lime scale on her toilet.  I wasn’t able to get all of it off, but, it looks better than it did.  

DH said it was 55* this morning at home, warmed up to 72*.

Ambergris and Mt_R, I hope you both are feeling better soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nothing on agenda today except sleep in.  Went fishing in the evening, since it has been cool a couple days & a cold front is coming in, supposedly good fishing.  We caught one catfish apiece.  The bag is a 50 lb bag of deer corn.  Fish were 10 & 15 lbs.  (we guesstimate)     Nice fillets.....not bad for a couple hours of loafing.

We threw the baby ones (four) back, and the three sunfish went back too.  We were looking for big 'uns.

catfish oct 11 2019.jpg

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 6

Pretty.  Now I want to go fishing. :happy0203:

I am concerned about MIL’s heater/AC unit.  It kept me awake, last night, past 1am, watching the minutes.  Heater on...average 7-10 minutes, off...3-4 minutes, then, back on.  All.night.long...and still going.  It certainly isn’t that cold, maybe mid 50’s.  And, the air blowing up the vents in the kitchen and den, is cool, not hardly warm, even in my bedroom, which is right outside the thermostat.  I did mention it to him, while he was here, about the cooler air, however, he said it was because he’d just turned it on, he did check the burner fire and showed me that it was on.  Still, I think there is something seriously wrong with it. That is too much off & on, IMHO.

• Sad 4

We actually used our heater for the first time this year Thursday.  I did wake up smelling the first burn-off (I always think I should turn it on during the day first, but always forget) of the dust.

This morning I'm at home reading stuff for work.  One of the kids is working concessions (couldn't even tell us what sport it was for - he's doing it for theater).  Other kiddo is off with hubby to trade days in the next town over.  He's already sent me pictures of lovely wooden storage boxes that I think he's picking up for me.  He knows I like the pasteboard ones from the craft shops, so I think he's hoping I'll use sturdier ones a bit more.

• Like 4

Ugh....I'm not Officially sick but I am definitely battling to keep it at Almost Getting Sick.  :darthduck:     At the mere hint of scratchy throat, swollen throat glands, itchy eyes.....  I start loading with REAL Vit C and immune system booster.  Plus juice and other fluids and such.  Did that later yesterday.  Hot ginger/honey tea.  So far, I am still in the preliminary symptoms which don't qualify as "catching something".  It's still just Knocking At My Door.  ;)   

But I'm TIRED!  I'd be tired even without microbes knocking at door.  Our drastic change from lovely fall to intense Zero Degrees winter is always a bit rough....coupled with racing around doing everything that has to be done Pre-Snowfall.  There's a bit more to do but....some depends on if the horses are leaving or staying.  :shrug:   My brain and body vote loudly:  Going!  But ....I'm MtRider!  :(  I like them even when the brat won't give me a safe, decent ride.  ......but not thru this winter.  

Today....it's 68* and sunny.  Slight breeze which got me chilled when I strung up the new clothesline :clothesline:   It's been up between two pillars of our 2nd story porch for couple decades.  Well, two different ones, I think.  I've been expecting this one to snap for the past 2 yrs and it did while DH was hanging stuff.  He'd doing laundry but needed both of us to string the new line.  The pulley system to bring up grocery bags, etc is right there too....so had to make sure both function in the same air space. 

Whoa...catfish!  :yum3:   Bet it was fun bringing them in, Kappy!! 

Hope you get the heater figured out, Annarchy.  I know the modern furnaces blow cold air thru the house while it's heating up....then some warm air...then blowing cold while it's cooling down to shut off.  :soapbox:  I don't dare get started on what I think of that NEW AND IMPROVED idea.  We could never get this place warm with the newer [5-7 yrs old?] furnace.  :frozen:  Must have pellet stove to be comfortable. 

TheCG.....will you buy indoor lamps or indoor/outdoor lantern versions?  I love the Dietz ones I bought [had Lehman's gift card...expensive] but an oil lamp is such a simple mechanism, there is hardly any function to go wrong on cheap ones....except the roller to move the wick up/down.  Or you could search out antique ones.  :) 

MtRider  ......think a nap is calling my name..

• Like 5

Hope you are feeling better soon, Mt. Rider!

Today is goat shed day! It was in the lower 50's this morning and supposed to get up to 66. Kid got here at 10 to help and we were done at noon.

Afterwards, I ground up 9 pounds of the chicken I got yesterday. About 25-30 pounds. Made chicken sausage out of 2 pounds of it.  Also, grilled the chicken that I didn't get to yesterday and frosted some cupcakes for company today or tomorrow. That's enough for me for one day!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

TheCG.....will you buy indoor lamps or indoor/outdoor lantern versions?  I love the Dietz ones I bought [had Lehman's gift card...expensive] but an oil lamp is such a simple mechanism, there is hardly any function to go wrong on cheap ones....except the roller to move the wick up/down.  Or you could search out antique ones.  :) 

MtRider 

I'll probably get 2 of the Dietz Junior ones to play with.  They'll primarily be used inside, but I'd like ones that still look nice inside.  Might pick up some of the glass ones at Hobby Lobby - the Aladdin indoor ones are expensive!

• Like 2

Aladdin are a whole 'nother critter.  I didn't know they also make round and flat wick lanterns.  I only remembered the different system producing more light.   :)  The mantle like the Coleman camping lanterns.  But I haven't figured out how they work....not a pressurized system?

At a website was also surprised to learn that if I got one, I'd have to buy a High Altitude chimney.  [above 4000']  We're nearly 9,000'.  Chimney is 15" instead of standard 12". 

:scratchhead:   Sooooo....there is SOME trouble with our very high altitude.  What does that tell me about my attempts with simple oil lamps without a chimney?  Need to ponder this.

http://www.aladdin-us.com/page/3550276

Another thing I didn't know...would apply to both Aladdin mantles and Coleman: [unnecessary for wick type, of course]

" How can I transport my lamp with out damaging the already used Mantle? Here is a good tip! If you need to take your lamp somewhere and want to minimize the risk of breaking the mantle in the process, just coat it with hair spray before you go. When you relight it, the spray will easily burn off with no harm done to the mantle. "

I think Dietz makes a "old rusty look" lantern....but it's brand new.  Looks like an antique out of a barn.  No thanks.  Mine only Dietz is a black Jupiter big one.  I have a cheapo standard size green lantern.  Several family antique glass indoor lamps.  And a purchased hanging glass lamp with a reflector from Lehmans...not Dietz.  I did a Dress Rehearsal for black-out in September....since we used to lose power frequently.  Not so much anymore but....candle and lamp light is so....peaceful!  :)

Tip:  Always put a small flashlite on the floor during a blackout.  So you can see down there in the dark ...where you need to step. 

MtRider  ...ok, quit now  :offtobed: 

• Like 3

When we lived near Shipshewana, Indiana, we'd shop at the Amish general store.  :happy0203:  They had LOTS to choose from in lanterns and cast iron cookware. They turned into a hardware store for spare parts on the lamps.  :whistling:   We stuck with the middle of the road priced lanterns. We packed and hauled them back to Wisconsin and haven't used them since. BUT, living out in the country is a great place to test them, along with our generator.  :cele:

• Like 4