MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Been a slow day today.  fixed DH and Myself a big breakfast, Then just picked up around the house putting things away. Gave kitchen a good cleaning.  Then just rested.  Have felt like I was coming down with a head cold, but feeling better now. Might be why I have had no energy all week.  fixed some beef tips in the slow cooker for dinner and then spent part of the afternoon lessoning to Jan Markell with olive tree ministries.   

• Like 2

Littlesister, only my Ex. Which is a shame because I was with him every step of the way for four years, except for 6 weeks of boot camp. Including a year in Japan and a year in China/Taiwan. Plenty have served but most didn't retire from military and, quite honestly, most have passed on. 

There are 5 credit unions in that area:

1. Teachers Union

2. Be employed by... (I'm retired) or be a member of the cat society. Huh?

3. Employed by corporate member group. (I'm retired) 1 star rating.

4. "404 - file or directory not found". 1 star rating. 

5. Must live or work in a county that I won't be living in. 

I just noticed none of them have military as a option. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

Littlesister, only my Ex. Which is a shame because I was with him every step of the way for four years, except for 6 weeks of boot camp. Including a year in Japan and a year in China/Taiwan. Plenty have served but most didn't retire from military and, quite honestly, most have passed on. 

There are 5 credit unions in that area:

1. Teachers Union

2. Be employed by... (I'm retired) or be a member of the cat society. Huh?

3. Employed by corporate member group. (I'm retired) 1 star rating.

4. "404 - file or directory not found". 1 star rating. 

5. Must live or work in a county that I won't be living in. 

I just noticed none of them have military as a option. 

Is there a Chartway bank there?  You might could talk with them to see if you could get in with them. They are a good bank. We got in with them and they are not that restrictive.  Might be worth a try if you  have one there.

10 hours ago, Homesteader said:

Credit Union

We pulled out of banks years ago...have not had any issues with our credit union ... but know this...they're pretty local.  The military has some great ones also.

• Like 1

Woke to 6.5" of more snow.  Called S to put us on the roster.  Made breakfast.  Went back to bed..resting, not sleeping.  Doc's orders.  Later went out to sweep porch/down stairs/near side of car.  Put yesterday's laundry in dryer.  Back up stairs.  Back to bed..resting.  Later S arrived, his 4 wheeler spinning on packed old snow under the new snow he's pushing.  I went down to warm up car and took it out of the way on road when he'd cleared driveway somewhat.  Wow....slick!  I was in the lowest 4-wheel gear.  After S cleared more, I didn't have much sliding coming back up.  Sun was out and making everything 'greasy'....melt a bit on packed snow. 

By then the WIND was up and wowzer!  It was causing all the snow on pine trees to swirl in blizzard conditions - with the sun shining.  B)   Strange and NOT warm.  :frozen:  Porch was again covered in snow....with the sun shining.  :tapfoot:   

I kept running out of energy today.  I was doing too many higher energy things....like the stairs.  So in between, I'd try to go lay down before the sparkles filled my vision and the tremors started.  Proof-positive that the shocky feeling IS caused by "exertion" .  That's a word with wide variation in definition tho.  "Exertion" a few months ago would be a lot more than I'm doing now. 

Later DD1 called to say she'd sent a package and supposedly it had been delivered yesterday.  :scratchhead:  Um...no.  Wait, who delivered?  UPS.  Uh oh.  I told that driver to just stick package in old van if our drive wasn't plowed yet.  Soooooo, I went down the hill with car again  [yes, that also means those 15 stairs, drat them!]  Yes indeed M had put the package in the van.  No damage.....DD1 didn't send flowers.  LOL  But it was large/heavy and finally got it up those 15 steps.  DH was still talking to her and didn't realize it was big and I needed help.  :0327:  

Back to bed.  I even took a little nap.  Life is harder when you CAN'T DO THINGS without stiff penalty.  Hmph!  Not snowing would help!

MtRider  .....IN BED...resting.  :buttercup: 

• Sad 3

Feeling "mean"...hubby thought he was just about ready to run the new pex and guess what!?  The hole that they left between the basement and the crawl space has only a 2x4 turned sideways...and it's right under our "bucket" room!  We have all our long term buckets stored in that room!  Rice, beans, wheat berries, vacuum sealed foods, jars of vacuum sealed crackers and pasta's ... so now he's got to do some serious work on that board!  He'll put in a treated 2x6 (?) and then have a piece of iron cut so he can drill a hole and attach it to the concrete?  I think that's what he said.  Anyway...it's another "STOP...this thing is dangerous!" moment.

Went to the Roost to pay the water bill there.  Then to $Tree to pick up a package each of highlighters and red roller ball pens...we use them on our "pay bill calender" for each month.

Then we were due at the florist shop for an update on their rules and regs etc.  We've delivered flowers for them for several years so we were the only ones that weren't new.  He also provided each of us with very nice T-shirts with their logo etc. (really nice!) so we can wear them outside...when it gets warmer of course.  Also told us he's putting in a new "ice cream" area near the front of their store, and they'll be doing "rolled ice cream"...what a novelty!  Praying they'll be very prosperous in that!  It's in the downtown area so I can see lots of people walking there from offices etc.  There's no real retail in our downtown area...mostly antiques and lawyers...and the court house of course..LOL

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, The WE2's said:

Anyway...it's another "STOP...this thing is dangerous!" moment.

Awww, not again.  :pray:  that all goes well with THIS odd problem.  Good thing MrWE2 is so knowledgeable and resourceful.  My brother in D.C. is like that too. 

MtRider  :offtobed: 

Sorry another issue cropped up at the house We2. It's always something, huh. 

Two good things though:

1. He found it in time

2. He can fix it. 

Think of all this would have cost to hire out. And I'll bet you will have the safest house in town when he's finished.  :hug3:

22 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Nope, no Chartway.

In order that I listed above:

1. First Trust 

2. Allegius

3. Tech Corp

4. Regional

5. U.S. Federal

Thanks for trying to help.  :hug3:

I pray it all works out for you.   Never heard of any of those banks around here.  Though I was hoping to be of some help.

• Thanks 1

:yar:  The past two days have been rough on my determination not to do toooo much.  I've been very vigilant about "go back to bed and rest".  I NEED to get over this stuff...including the MS increase.  For that I NEED to ride a horse but even if I found a place to do that, I don't yet have the strength to ride after merely getting to the location. 

Yesterday we were clearing snow and moving vehicle and going down to fetch a package from barnyard....  Too much.  So today, I could make up for that and take things real easy.  DH would be going in to work so just me and dog.  Made choice to make big breakfast cuz DH might have a super busy day and possibly have to stay later at work.  He enjoyed French toast/bacon/orange slices. 

Then the dog puked.....TWICE.....  DH needed to keep moving towards getting ready.  So I dealt with that.  A lot of physical labor...when I'm weak.  We do use the Bissel Green Machine.  Still...a lot of physical labor especially when ya forget to close the lid on the suction tank.  :huh:    [NOTE: we JUST took up the last newspapers from the floor 2 days ago - declaring dog's heat cycle done.]  Got carpet cleaned and rags on wet spots.  Cleaned the machine.  All put away and I went BACK TO BED!  Breakfast was supposed to be my only energy expenditure for this morning!!!  

Then dog was back in and just before DH was going to leave....she puked again.  :0327:    Spend More Energy!  And by this time it's POURING DOWN SNOW .....so I can't just send her outside till she's empty of whatever is bothering her.  Snow was bad enough that DH actually grabbed his overnight bag...in case road conditions got too dangerous on THAT ROAD tonite. 

By then I was so hyped up with adrenaline to do these extra jobs .....and partially about DH driving in these conditions.   :pray:   I don't even know when...or if...I'm expecting him tonite.  He'll call when he knows something.  :sigh:   

Got rice cooker going for dog.  It's what we start her on after this type of ....ahem, 'incident'.  She loves it ....and we add a bit of egg to the next rice small portion, if she keeps it down the first time.  

Hmph!.......the humidifier does this GURGLE noise several times a day as water is used.  But today....I keep thinking it's Koa again......and nearly go flying out of bed to put her outside.  :wacko:  

MtRider  ....yes, I postponed washing hair this afternoon and just Went Back To Bed To Rest.....doctor's orders, y'know.  :buttercup:  

• Sad 3
3 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Is there ever a good time for the dog to puke?

When they are outside in someone else's yard.  :D

The snow plow took my mail box out. Completely flattened. We got about 3 inches of snow followed by rain. That took some real talent to accomplish.  Sigh. 

• Sad 2
On 2/8/2020 at 9:30 PM, The WE2's said:

Feeling "mean"...hubby thought he was just about ready to run the new pex and guess what!?  The hole that they left between the basement and the crawl space has only a 2x4 turned sideways...and it's right under our "bucket" room!  We have all our long term buckets stored in that room!  Rice, beans, wheat berries, vacuum sealed foods, jars of vacuum sealed crackers and pasta's ... so now he's got to do some serious work on that board!  He'll put in a treated 2x6 (?) and then have a piece of iron cut so he can drill a hole and attach it to the concrete?  I think that's what he said.  Anyway...it's another "STOP...this thing is dangerous!" moment.

We feel your pain!  :hug3:  A long LONG time ago, I worked for a village building department. The inspector was a retired contractor. He kept drilling me about doing inspections on EVERY aspect of remodel and new build. Many times, the work had to be ripped out as it wasn't up to code. Back then, he had to be more careful with the contractors. The homeowners were generally more consciousness about their own work. Now I know why he was so adamant about having the job done right.   :thumbs:

• Like 4
On 2/8/2020 at 9:03 PM, The WE2's said:

The military has some great ones also.

How do I find out about these?  When I googled local credit unions for veterans, I got nothing.

Yesterday was easy. Church, cleaned out microwave, made burritos, and puttered around--made some calls.

Today, took my walk, started laundry, DH wants oranges so guess I'm going to local grocery. Staying home as much as I can.

Warm today to Wed., then highs in the lower 50's for a couple of days and then back up to 60's and 70's--MS version of early Spring!

• Like 1

I had quite a few errands to run today. I ended up at Wal-Mart. Boy was I surprised. Okay, it's Monday so maybe the shelves were just low because of weekend shoppers. I'm going with that scenario for now. But...

The laundry detergent aisle was half empty. Wish my phone had photo capability. There is a big area for bleach and it was almost empty. I wanted to get two small bottles instead of one big one. They were all out. There were only 4-5 jugs of Clorox and about 10 jugs of Great Value brand. That was it. Heads up, I almost mistakenly bought a medium size bottle but noticed it was the 'splash proof' kind. It has some kind of thickener in it. 

The food in the frozen veggie cooler was very low too. Only a few packages of different varieties. Some sold out. The toilet paper aisle was very low too. I bought another 48 pack just in case. Also some more bottled water and Gatorade. I found some small bottles of 100% cranberry juice. Better for me than a big jug. I'll actually finish a small bottle. 

I forgot to go down the canned veggie aisle. Darn it. And SIGH I forgot Lysol AGAIN. I noticed all the masks back in hardware were sold out. 

Some of our food actually does come from America but where do the food processing plants get their packaging? Can't sell green beans if you don't have a can. 

I'm not saying my Wal-Mart shelves were very low because China isn't shipping because of the virus. Maybe it was just a lull after the weekend shoppers. But I did notice and I've never seen shelves that low before. They couldn't even face out the shelves to fake it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Puking doggie not good. Hope he's doing ok now.  Haven't been to Walmart in a while. Guess I should check ours out but going to be hard rain tomorrow, so staying home.  

Think I am trying to come down with a head cold.  No energy for almost a week and now past 2 days off and on headache with a bit of stuffy feeling. Ears feel like they have pressure on them as well. Not good. Been trying to fight it off.  Going to try the elderberry tonight. I hate taken meds. 

But things around here must go on.  So took car in for repairs this morning and got the rental car. No instructions. It's push button, she hid the keys where I found them inside the console covered up. When she picked us up to go back to enterprise, She speeds like she's on a mission to get back there. winding roads to boot as she took the back country roads.  But we got there in one piece and then I had to figure everything out when we got home. 

Got all the clothes washed and played around on the computer for a bit, trying to get rid of all the junk e-mails that keep coming in. Started hitting unsubscribe but then I just get other e-mail to take it's place. So this time I just sent to junk mail. Thinking about opening up a new account and closing that one after I change the e-mail address with the ones I need to keep. Lots of trouble doing that though. Will  debate it. I have had that same e-mail address now for 14 years. Had it cleaned up a couple of times and here we go again. 

Got the call from our CPA our taxes are done and they are mailing them to us to sign and send back. We always just mail the stuff to them and they do it all by mail. Beats going to VA Beach to take it to them. I hate that drive. Crazy people on those roads. The only reason we use them is because they are the only ones that know how to do a trust. The CPA in our area knows nothing about how to do one for taxes. 

WE2, glad your DH was able to get things fixed. You will have a new house yet. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

How do I find out about these

I just type in federal credit union...and it brings up several sites...for military as well.  Ours is a local with a main branch about 20 miles from us.  A local one cannot access a federal one...we found that out when we had a water bill due at the Roost and wanted to use our debit at a federal...no go.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Jeepers said:

small bottles of 100% cranberry juice

I keep a case of this in the homestead's extended pantry as well as a box of the cranberry pills (can't remember the name of them...shucks!)...just medicinal preps.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Wal-Mart

Believe it or not we very seldom shop at WM.  We do have our pharmacy accounts there and we go through customer service to charge our "gift" card (we use it as a gas card, to save 3 cents a gallon on our gas)...and sometimes eggs (like last week) when Aldi's puts a limit of 3 on theirs...same price, but they put a limit.   We do Amish and Sav-A-Lot.

PS...and also $Tree ... where everybody's rich! :24: But even they were scanty this past week.  They also were very short on bleach...figure? Maybe people are doing some extra cleaning?

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 3

Samo, samo.  If it doesn't rain tomorrow Abby-girl and I will go with hubby to homestead.  She'll be able to get out in her "big yard" and get some exercise and I'll dry more laundry...and probably clean the pantry shelving unit hubby had to unload.  That way it will be done when he's ready for us to put the stock back on the shelves.  THEN...it inventory time all over again. We're still eating from our pantry and freezers.  Wanting to get a lot of stuff rotated out.  Tonight we had a couple of cheesy breaded fish patties (they are so good!) with fries and vegetable medley (carrots-cauliflower-broccoli) and peach jello for dessert.

Hubby got all the stuff he needed to finish the "hole" from the basement to the crawl space.  There's sooooo much more that's going to need to be done AFTER we get moved.  Would you believe that under the dining room floor, they braced up a floor joist with TREE STUMPS...they cut to length but had them sitting on nothing!  For a homestead that was built in the early 1900's you would have thought they'd have done a better job.  Craftsmanship was better then I would have thought.  But...maybe in later years when the floors sagged, they rigged it. :shrug:

• Confused 1

Tree stumps?  Oye!   My brother was putting a new addition on someone's house in VA area.  He began the dirt work and kept hitting something.  Turned out to be HUGE trees that an elderly neighbor finally walked over and told him.  Long long ago....they cleared trees and threw them in there and covered with dirt to level that area.  No houses there at that time.  :o  So much for an actual basement in that location.  The family could not afford what he'd charge to get them out and fill at least some of it back with dirt again.  Let alone the PERMITS.  He said the trees were perfectly preserved for having been down there 70 years. 

Well today was ROTTEN!  Yes I got the backlash from adrenaline use on Sat/Sun.  So I was fragile and weak and stayed close to recliner or bed.  But....the dog has to go out....ANYTIME SHE WANTS TO!  She comes in looking like a white sheep.....covered in an inch of snow.  I have to brush that off as she's in the doorway.  And sweep what she tracks in.....  :0327: 

I think she's actually fine today.  I was still easing her back into full kibble but....she shoved the lid off her bowl and ate it all.  Hmm, she thinks she's ok.  I have discovered how long it takes this dog kibble to soften in water......HOURS.  :scratchhead:   Might be why she hadn't digested Sat nite's portion by Sun morning.  Don't know why it's taking forever...check for old stock?  Anyway, I've been soaking more kibble and still waiting.  Going to give her that and more rice for tonite.  AND start a bowl of kibble soaking overnight for her tomorrow.  Cuz when she woofed all that up on Saturday, it was not digested from the night before. 

Anyway, I haven't even been outside.  :groooansmileyf:  Cuz it's been POURING DOWN SNOW again today.  6" yesterday and probably about that again.  And more a few days before that!  My truck is going to be SO buried!  :yar:  Told DH he might have to sweep his own way up the stairs with the garage broom tonite.  I was doing so poorly walking with 2 canes this morning that he almost called off work and stayed with me.  I've had better and worse times all day tho.  And he had more customers today so more tips.  Gotta pay for snow removal AGAIN.  One more snow tomorrow thu nite and into Wed.....I think.  So much I can't keep it straight.  Thurs/Fri might be good.

So ....I haven't used much adrenaline ....maybe just a little, today.  I hope tomorrow isn't as rough with adrenaline backwash.  I hope tomorrow, feeding the dog isn't so complicated.  I have enough trouble feeding me!  Dang, I HATE being fragile!  Hmph!

MtRider  .....but we got a propane fill today so we won't be cold!!! 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 4