MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

10 hours ago, Littlesister said:

broccoli sprouts

I steam them until they're soft, then lay some velveeta cheese over the top, cover and let it melt.  That's all I do other than add salt and pepper to each of our taste.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Littlesister said:

cherry tomatoes

Planted them ONE year and boy were they prolific!  Kept up until the first hard frost.  Came back volunteer the next year but not uniform in size...who cares...we ate 'em!  But, I won't plant them again for that reason.  Just too many seeds.

• Like 2

Mixed up another batch of Elderberry syrup.  Just need to keep it on hand for another month at least.  Also emptied out another batch of my thermos yogurt.  We were out and getting tired of oatmeal.  Really like yogurt on top of granola better.

Hubby's still working on step mum's "honey-do's".  

Our local paper announced that one of the nursing homes was now restricting visitors coming in and patients going out.  Said there were cases where the patients were having cough, fever and diareah? (squirts?).  Problem...it's just about a mile from this place.  Not worried though.  If they think it's "the thing" they'll have to call the Health Dept. for our county/city to come test etc., so we wouldn't know for some time either way.  We are going out Monday to pick up some meds that the new doc called in (I think it's my thyroid med...which is great!) and to pick up a few things at Aldis and $Tree to replenish what we've used...tortilla chips, Aim toothpaste and perhaps more eggs to put back.  We aren't really that fearful of this thing.  We know our safety boundaries.

Do need to get Abby her monthly meds also...may have to do some plastic to get more than one month though.  Gotta keep the heartworm stuff for her!  That we need a prescription for.  We can buy OTC for everything else, just not the chewables. 

Was delighted this evening when I spoke with a close friend that she's now started to set back supplies for the "what ifs" of life.  Funny how people can react to mentioning "preparing" versus "what would you do if scenario?"   We're prayer partners and it really frustrated me that she wanted to just "pray" instead of prep and pray.  Now she's on her way and that blesses my socks off!

• Like 4

WE2, I can understand what you mean.  I do pray about this virus that my family and also everyone on here will not get this. I pray it will not evade into our Church as well.  I have been preparing and prepping for the what if's for many years now. It has come in handy as I helped my kids out with the extra food when they were struggling, I have helped out a neighbor that had no money for food, and also a friend from church who's daughter was struggling to get food. I also helped her brother to buy him some glasses as he was homeless and needed glasses. Paid for his eye exam and glasses as well.  She was not able to take him in because she is on housing and not allowed to have anyone live there. He could come a visit for a week at a time but that was it. After a week he had to leave or she would loose her housing. So a lot of reasons I prep like I do. I usually just don't say what all I do prep for.  

I am not worried about this virus but am worried for my grandchildren whom one is now in Washington state and one in CA. And the fact my daughter still has her head in the sand and doesn't think this coronavirus is any worse than the reg. flu.  So I pray for all of them.

But I also know there is nothing I can do to keep them safe so I just pray and lift them all up to the Lord to take care of it. 

I am putting my faith in the Lord that this virus will not come upon me or my family.  That is something we all need to work on to keep that faith strong during these trying times.

So with that said, I am glad your friend is now prepping and praying about this.   As long as we follow the guidelines to keep our hands washed. use hand sanitizer, be careful how we open doors in public places. Carry Kleenex or something like Clorox wipes in a baggie to use to open doors at stores and such.  And keeping our hands away from our face and staying as far away from people while out in public as we can, we should be ok. Just need to keep those measures in place and keep that faith strong in the Lord. 

• Like 3

I went to the grocery store tonight. l always shop on off hours. I always have to avoid crowds. It kinda bit me in the butt tonight though. I didn't realize it was so late. I slowly ambled through the store and about half way through they announced they were closing in 15 minutes. Dang. I was just getting started good. I thought they were open until midnight. So I missed out on looking for hand sanitizer and aloe gel. I did have all of the canned goods etc. that I went for though. I might venture out to Wal-Mart tomorrow.

I noticed the store didn't have any hand sanitizer to wipe off the cart handle any more. They're probably out of the stuff too. Or else its too expensive to give away now.

Forgot to mention that the shelves were all well stocked. Even after Friday and Saturday shoppers had been through.

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 3

Glad to hear not all stores are sold out.  So far here it has been bleach, hand sanitizer and wipes. Food is in a lower stock than usual but not wiped out. 

Our Walmart is open 24/7. So was surprised when you said they were closing there. Going in the middle of night is something I have thought about if the virus hits our end of VA. But would have to be armed to do that, so best for me to just not go unless it is middle of day. Will just have to be choosy about the timing of the day. Though I don't go there much and never on a weekend.  I really think we might be ok though without going to any stores for a while.  I no longer want DH to go anywhere there might be crowds now. 

Even in Church today, our pastor said no hand shaking, only fist bumps or elbow touch.  And of course he has a cold but stayed far away from everyone today.  He wouldn't even go to door to tell people by and talk a bit like he usually does because of his cold.  Our Sunday school class has decided next week we are going to bring Clorox wipes to wipe down tables and chairs as we rent our COC building to another church group for basketball games. They use our class room for a dressing room. It is also one of the meeting rooms for things going on in church that needs to be addressed before telling the congregation what is happening.  So every Sunday now we will be wiping everything down. I think it is a good idea since my class ages range from 60 to 90 years old. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I noticed the store didn't have any hand sanitizer to wipe off the cart handle any more.

Whoa, thanks.  That's important to know.  Guess we might have to bring our own in Ziplock bags!!  Just grabbed one of our new containers from the storage.  Going to add a bit of isopropyl to the container in the car...it's a bit dried out. 

29 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

I no longer want DH to go anywhere there might be crowds now. 

Yeah, good idea.  Better a week early than a day late.  My folks have cut way back too.  Hope they can stay out of the grocery stores for a while.  We could bring them some things....we can wear masks and wash hands.  Use the wipes on the stuff before dropping it off.  Better to give them some of ours....that has been out of circulation for at least 2 wks.  Hmmm.... 

I've been immediately washing all clothing that I wore in stores for the past two weeks.  Washed all thrift store purchased T-shirts yesterday too.  Kept them bagged up until washed.  We're thinking of leaving DH's work clothes in basement in a bag until his second day.  Then he can send them thru the wash.  Laundry is downstairs garage, separate from the living upstairs.  So he can have clothes to change into there.  Leave shoes outside!  If there are any confirmed in our county, he'll just quit for a while.  They won't have much business anyway.  :(  

Trying to get used to just how complex it is .....complete sanitation protocols like they do for Ebola.  'Course we're not really in full suits and all but....  Practice now...it's complicated.  And hopefully, not necessary but......  :unsure:

MtRider  :pray: 

• Like 1

I had an odd/scary event last nite.  I was in back room talking to a college friend on phone.  DH suddenly rushes to the kitchen....I follow, alarmed and see the smoke.  :sigh:   No, we're not on fire.  He's just put the washed cast iron frying pan on the electric burner to dry thoroughly.....and FORGOT to turn off the burner ......AGAIN!   :gaah:   We both do that.  

However, I usually smell it before it gets that bad.  The smoke from that ....well, burning off the old Crisco ....really bothers me.  Last nite I must have gotten too much.  I usually help turn on ceiling fan and other fan...... open front/back doors to push the smoke out of the house.  But I don't know if I did or not.  Things got real confusing and vague....  :scratchhead: 

I did go outside to the far end of the porch...still trying to talk to D on phone.  But I couldn't think.  Couldn't get the words out to tell her what the emergency was.  Assure her that all was well but stinky!  I was still smelling the smoke out on the porch.  Needed to flee further but had to slip back inside to grab boots....I was in socks.  Jammed feet into them and went down stairs and way across our parking area.  I think I was kinda in panic by then.  D was trying to talk to me....are you alright?  I didn't understand why I couldn't force the words out to tell her it was JUST the stupid frying pan thing again.  

Then she said:  You're scaring me!  It sounds like you're having an asthma attack!  :o  Oh!  She's right and I have an inhaler of Albuterol from the recent bronchitis siege.  But I don't think I should go back in house to get it. 

I climbed the icy steps up thru the [former] goat's pen and rapped on the back window....door being locked.  DH was confused as to why I was out the back door.  I managed to force out...."get me the inhaler", he realized that I was having breathing trouble.  He's not an "instant responder" in crisis/emergency situations.  He's more the Deep Thinker type.  Waaay more.  But he got it to me. 

After 2 puffs....wow, that works pretty fast.  I was still trying to give D the updates on ....yes, I'm still breathing.  Awful for her to listen and not be able to DO anything or even see if I'm still upright.  She said, You're already sounding better.  Yeah...I can breathe in and out.  Apparently it was the OUT that was the problem.  I've had breathing things with bronchial....but never an actual asthma thing.  Hmph!  <_<   I'm not really in some contest to experience EVERYTHING in my lifetime!  Sheeeeeesh!    

So glad I specifically TOLD DH where I was putting that inhaler!   Afterwards ...when he'd "caught up" to the situation, we had a long talk about how to handle emergencies, etc.  And giving thanks   :amen:  for that inhaler being handy!  Whoooooeeeee!  Scary....worse when I finally knew WHAT was wrong.  And a big thanks to friend D for mentioning "asthma attack".  

.....is this was aging is about?  New odd things every year?  :buttercup:  

MtRider ....as Laura Ingalls' mom always said:  All's well that ends well! 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 4

Littlesister, Our Wal-Mart's are open 24/7 too. I was at our grocery store Giant Eagle. Some of them are open 24/7 but not the one in my small town. 

Mt. Rider, that is so scary. I'm sure you were at your whits end. :hug3:

When my grandma used to put her skillet on the stove, she would turn the fire off and then put the pan on the burner. Guess she burned up a few pans in her early years too. 

The last couple of times I was at Wal-Mart they didn't have the hand sanitizer for the carts. I thought they were just out of the wipes. Now I know why. I keep a pump bottle in the Jeep so I used that when I got back in the Jeep. Same thing at the grocery store. They didn't have the wipes the last two times either.

The order I put in at Harmony House on Friday the 6th. Arrived on Sunday morning the 8th. Free shipping on orders over $100.00. They always ship fast but I thought there might be a lag this time. 

• Like 2
Found this online:

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN HAND SANITIZER
Ingredients:
  • 2/3-cup rubbing alcohol (99% isopropyl alcohol)
  • 1/3-cup aloe vera gel.
Directions:
Add the alcohol to the aloe vera gel and stir.
Using a funnel, pour the mixture into a pump bottle – you can use cleaned soap bottles for instance, or you can find inexpensive pump bottles at dollar stores.
If you have empty store-bought hand sanitizer bottles, you can use those.
Here is a second recipe if you want to add essential oils to your lotion. Some oils will add a boost of protection and most all of them add a nice scent.
Hand sanitizer with essential oils
Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup 99% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol
  • 1/3 cup aloe vera gel
  • 8-10 drops essential oil. (Lemongrass, eucalyptus, peppermint and orange oils, are effective against 22 bacterial strains.)
Directions: Mix the ingredients together and pour it into a pump bottle using a funnel.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Got so much done this afternoon.  :busted: I slept the afternoon away and woke up on couch around 6:30.  I think DH must have falling asleep in his chair.  So left over do it yourself night.        Don't know why this is skipping space. 

• Like 2

When I put my cast iron on the stove I turn on my 3 minute timer...works for me. 

Went with hubby to stepmums today.  It's supposed to turn off rainy for the next several days so we figured we'd just go and he could get the last of her security/motion censor lights put up.  A neighbor had a bad experience about a week ago.  Said some "dude" of a different nationality, was wandering around on his property.  Since she's alone she had a right to get spooked since she lives in a very remote lake area and most people are of a different nationality.  So...now she's got a motion light on her front porch, on the front of her garage and on the back of her screened deck (which faces the lake).  She and I visited while hubby took care of the light.  He'll be going back after the weather settles down to take care of some more honey-do's for her.  

In the mean time, last night we found out there is a c-19 case in our state and the neighboring state.  When we got up and looked at the news it showed a map...and hubby said "WOW...that sure spread fast!"  

Then this evening Sen. Ted Cruz posted that he had been notified that he had shaken hands with one of the c-19 carriers at the AIPAC convention.  Said that he's been assured by all that he's not likely to have it since it's been more than 7 days...but...he's self isolating in his home until the full 14 days.  

As we were leaving town we made hubby's daily stop at BreakTime to fill up his ice water cup so when he came out I had the sanitizer waiting!  As I told him, "you push open the door, you press the nozzle for ice, then the nozzle water, and then the door again as you leave." Let me have them paws! 

Same way this evening when we stopped to pay his Menards bill.  "Let me have them paws!"  

Then we both gave our hands a good soapy wash when we got home.  Stayin' safe!

We do have to get out tomorrow to pick up Abby's meds and my re-fill ... just a necessary trip. Also a stop at Aldis for his tortilla chips and my pretzels.  Guess I'll pick up several bags so we can stock up and no have to go out for those any more for awhile.  

With c-19 now being in our state and a neighboring state (we're right in the middle of the two!) we're much more aware and watchful.  

Watched a youtube video of a 100 year old woman that she and her family were the only ones in her small town of 500, that survived the 1918 flu pandemic.  I was really astounded that she said 3 things...her mother made EVERY person in their house take a tsp. of baking soda in water every morning...that she kept canning jars of water sitting on their wood stove at all times for water, and that her dad plowed a garden path all the way around their house, and planted sweet potatoes so that others could "glean" for something to eat.  Sometimes her mom would send her to a sick family with fruit jars of soup and would wrap her face with gauze.  Said there was only one doc in the town and he ran out of medicine in the first week or so (I think that's what she said).  She left off saying "Be aware...be aware...be aware."

• Like 3

I went to my friend's house on her 90th B-day.  She passed several years ago...or she would be 102 yrs old in 2020.  But she told me her life story that day.  It began in 1918.  Her mother, aunt, older sister stayed in the house during that flu.  Her dad went to work and lived in the barn.  They set food out for him but went inside before he came to steps to eat it.  They washed everything very thoroughly when he was done.  When she was born....home birth with no midwife that year....they hollered out the window:  It's a GIRL! 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, The WE2's said:

take a tsp. of baking soda in water every morning

Was it a full teaspoon?  I thought I read (or she said) 1/2 teaspoon in a glass of water every morning before breakfast.

Just watched it again.  It's at 4 minutes and 45 seconds.  She says 1/2 tsp.  Not sure if more would be too much or maybe it wouldn't make a difference.

Edited by snapshotmiki
More info
  • Like 1

I think I saw 1/2 teaspoon as well.  I am debating doing it .  Can't say it will help but won't hurt either. 

Washing clothes and dusting house today. Got to go clean kitchen from breakfast and lunch.  A bit slow on getting that done but will have it done within the next hour.  Going to be leftover night tonight as it is going to be 72 * and I am going to get some weeding done also.  A lot of stuff I want to get done over the next couple of days. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

For those needing to watch their salt intake, remember that baking soda is high in sodium.

Good point!  My grandparents brushed their teeth with baking soda. Their teeth were much whiter than ours.  :24:

• Like 1

72*  WOW, Little Sister.  I'm just :hapydancsmil: that we only got a trace of snow yesterday.  And that these huge snow piles are shrinking...even in that sun-blocked area of our parking up here.  :amen: 

Put the fry pan in oven just now.  Oven is off but warmed.  I'll need to wipe dried pan with Crisco rag while still warm.  BUT NO SMOKIN' PANS!  Earlier this morning, I started coughing when DH heated up that pan to sizzle some onions/green peppers for breakfast.  Shheeeesh!  My bronchials are just not getting a chance to completely heal.  Definitely don't need that COVID....wouldn't be pretty.  :hidingsmile:

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

For those needing to watch their salt intake, remember that baking soda is high in sodium.

Baking soda is very much loaded with sodium.   3,375.7 mg for 1 tablespoon.  I have Ener-G baking soda substitute sodium free but don't know if that would work as well as there are other things in the baking soda that the sodium free does not have. Guess I'll have some homework to do. But don't think I will be able to find that out.  But I can take the reg. baking soda. DH will not be doing that. 

Got laundry done and kitchen cleaned up after dinner. Had left over chili tonight and tomorrow there is one more dish of left overs to finish off before I start cooking meals again.  Want to get the fridge cleaned out of food so I can scrub it down. 

It was 74* for just about an hour or so today then back down to 72 and now back in 60's.  Didn't get all the flower beds cleaned out like I was hoping but tomorrow will be warm again, so hoping to get that finished tomorrow. 

DH wanted to go to Dollar Tree to see if they had beans and rice for the food ministry. So off we went.  Got 12 of each, so will take them to church tomorrow night.  Talking about washing hands and using sanitizer. The cashier wouldn't touch anything till she used her sanitizer between each customer. The guy in front of me would not take his receipt as he said it was touched. I think it was safe to take it. That lady isn't taken any chances. 

I really don't want him going out anymore as they said 2 people that came back from Egypt and was taken to Norfolk General Hosp. Needless to say they cut them loose and never checked them for the virus. So now we have them running around plus I think they said Newport News and in Washington DC as well. So it is moving closer to us and all around us. There have been some tested in the Suffolk area as well. But not yet confirmed.  But what can I say, he was board. Time to bring out the puzzles and such to entertain him with. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Homesteader said:

brushed their teeth with baking soda

I still use baking soda, charcoal, bentonite clay with a little bit of Xylitol (sp) for my evening brush and AIM for my morning brush. AIM has no glycerin to block the cleaning action of the toothpaste.

• Like 1

Did some bill paying and a bit of shopping.  Abby needed her heart worm filled, but told Vet we were buying OTC (not their chewables) for the time being.  We got a sale special at Tractor Supply for the liquid...so we were able to buy two packages, 8 months worth.  Saved us a bundle!  Ran into Aldi's and picked up some chips and pretzels and then a local Dutch store, they had chips for 99c a bag so picked up a few more.  We're running very close on finances, thank God for the work hubby's been bringing in!  But...we're stocked and won't need to buy any thing now for quite some time.  Did some shopping at the homestead though.  Needed some green beans, pork and beans, beef for fajitas and a few other items.  Also was able to pick up the new scripts for our meds.  When I ask about mine the pharmacist said it wasn't filled because I had just got 90 days in February.  I said "Didn't my doc call in a new script?"  She said "Yes".  I said "then why don't you fill it?"  She said "Well..."  I said "does it cost extra?"  She said "no".  I said "then fill it, I'm not due to go back for a checkup for a year".  She said "it will be ready in about 20 minutes.  Now...for the first time since I've taken thyroid meds I have 180 days worth of pills.  The strength hasn't changed for 2 years so I don't expect it to change any where soon.  Guess they're not used to being challenged...???

Rained most of day and is still raining...so it was a good day to get our running out of the way.  Lots of people staying in due to the rain and it being a Monday...and early in the day.  Also filled our truck up with gas.  The price was 2$ a gallon and by using his WM gift card, he got an additional 3c off so it was a good time to top off the tank.  

Also stopped by the library where the Roost property is at, and was able to pick up another bag of books for 5$ ... we're avid readers and we love our books!

If we have to head for the homestead we'll want books.  We don't have smart phones or tablets etc., and there's no internet or landline there.  We'd have to leave to do that...which I'm sure we would NOT want to do if we had to go there in the first place!

• Like 4

Took DH to his heart doctor this morning. All is good and he is keeping on top of the coronavirus. Told us it is not in our area yet but that they let 2 people go from Lee Sentara that came back from Egypt. No testing was done. Not even told to stay home for 2 weeks. So they are going wherever and whenever. There is another one as well that tested positive.  So he told us to be very careful and for DH to hold off on going in for his speech therapy.  He told him to be very careful with his swallowing and just wait till this virus hopefully passes and gets under control. He does not want DH leaving the house now. So he will be staying home. I will take him walking around the house and around block as long as the virus doesn't get this far to us weather permitting of course as he is trying to get another sinus infection. Going to start him on the silver each day for 2 weeks like instructions say. 

DH has now had his lunch so need to clean up kitchen. Seems I am always cleaning that up these days. But we are staying home to eat and not going out anywhere to eat. We don't usually don't eat out much anyway. But DH has been getting up now that he has been feeling better and not sleeping in till 11 or 12 o'clock. So now fixing 3 meals a day instead of 2.  Just glad his energy is coming back and he is feeling better. But :pray: we get this sinus infection under control before it gets out of control. He will see his sinus doctor on Wed. 

• Like 3