MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Ambergris, Praying they wii get your eyes right. 

Today was another day at doctor with DH  Took him yesterday to an ener care for elbow.  He had a gulf ball size sack on it and was red and inflamed.  Had to see family doctor today. He took X-ray and it has a very large bone spur on the tip of the elbow. doc said it will dissolve on its own. sense there is no pain, he is just going to watch it for now. DH is not to rest his elbow on table or anything.  So again I didn't get things done I wanted to do.  Tomorrow's another day. Hoping to dig into some things then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:pray:  for Ambergris....eye problems, shoulder, etc.   For LittleSister's dh's elbow and other health issues.  For OOTO and her little one who are again not feeling well.  :(  For Kappy's continued recovery from a major, wonderful surgery.  [um, the surgery wasn't wonderful...but the result is!]  

Slept from 1AM - 11:30AM.   :D   Needed that!  Still sluggish today tho....not doing much.  Sent DH down stairs with load of clothes.  He brought up the no-dryer ones and I hung them.  We're still transferring Gatorade into different containers from the damaged "cardboard cans". 

DH baked date-nut bread ...after finding rock-hard dates when we were sorting out Sickness Food and Meds to put into a specific tote.  He softened them in 2 minutes in Instant Pot....the water from the recipe and the dates.  He was pleased.  Finding new ways to use that device.

:sigh:  for the first time in days/week, .....I got the "sparkling, DIZZY fatigue" while hanging wet clothes in the bathroom.  Go back to bed.  I lost a night of sleep and that's the issue.  But generally, I have shown good recovery in the past week or so.  Believe this to be a minor set back.........however, it shows I'm still vulnerable.  :buttercup:  Getting virus or bacteria of any kind is contraindicated, right?  

MtRider  ....date bread smells almost done.. :cook: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got the pantry items vacuum sealed and stored.  The granola's are so good.  The bags of strawberry-apple will be quite tasty I'm sure.  Divided the tater tots up into gallon sized bags and put them in freezer. We just go through a lot of potatoes for breakfast.  Did deep fry some of them tonight for supper...dipped them in a green chilly batter and had them with boneless pork chops (all four cost less than 3$!) and steamed broccoli.  Next time I'll had some salt and a bit of baking powder and baking soda to the batter to make them fluffier...but still very good! Also started another jar of broccoli sprouts. Also vacuum sealed another quart of Tumeric powder.  I dump the container into a bread bag, then twist the top of the bag and stuff the Tumeric down into my jar, then it's safe to vacuum seal without "orange" going everywhere! 

Hubby worked at step mums most of the day...got a call from one of his "regulars" that needed some work done asap, so he took off a bit early and came back to town to take care of that.  Tomorrow he'll work at the homestead in the morning, then doctor appointments for both of us (just annual checkups) and then he'll go back to his "regular" and finish another little project and then return to step mum's work on Friday and Saturday.  Can use the dollars!

100_1461 boneless pork chops.jpg

100_1467 Sprouts-broccoli.jpg

100_1468 Pork chops, broccoli, batter dipped tater tots.jpg

100_1462 Tumeric1.jpg

100_1463 Tumeric2.jpg

100_1464 Granola 75 cents box.jpg

100_1465 Granola-strawberry-apple.jpg

• Like 5

I am so glad to see others here stocking like I do. I was looking at all the stuff I have in this house as well as my shed and was beginning to think I was nuts for buying all this stuff.  No pantry, no basement and no root cellar. It is in closets, under beds and dressers as well. I am starting to wonder if we will ever get all this food eating.  One thing for sure, I won't be going to a store for the next 5 months. Though I might run down to get enough onions and celery to put in freezer and dehydrate. I have some but first need to check if it is enough to get us through a couple of months. 

This morning we went to Harris Teeter not by my choice but by DH's choice. Yes he is feeling better and now driving me crazy. We picked up a few things, hotdogs, bacon  all lower sodium, and a few other things. Came home and was going to work on kitchen some more as I am trying to go through the kitchen cabnets to make sure things are rotated in those. But no, DH decided he wanted to get in there and make potato salad and delved eggs. That is fine but I am going to start putting up baby gates to keep him out of kitchen when I have things to do. So tomorrow I will try again to get into those cabnets. 

I did run to my go to store this evening as DH wanted hotdogs for dinner. Had no chilli. So went there to get that.  Wouldn't you know it, just like at Harris Teeter, No hand sanitizer, no Clorox wipes and no bleach. Several areas of the stores were wiped out in both of those two stores. Don't even want to know how Sam's club and BJ"s wholesale club is.  I already heard they have all but wiped out several of the Costco stores and in one or two places Sam's club was getting wiped out.  And so it begins.  :pray: 

I forgot what is up with hamburger? went to get the hamburger on sale and could only get 5 small packs. I wanted about 20 lbs. They were sold out.  Also at Food Lion Helman's mayo. It is on sale 2 for 6.00 and they only had 2 jars left so I grabbed them. We go though a lot of mayo as we make chicken, ham, tuna salad and of course potato salad. 

Edited by Littlesister
  • Like 2

Today we both got a year's clearance from our new "doc"...Nurse Practitioner.  Hubby's blood pressure was down low enough that she took him off the low dose Lisperal he was taking.  Said weight was going down too!  We'll monitor the BP to make sure it stays within a good range for him.  Both of us had some wax in one ear, so we said we should use some ear was remover stuff and come back in a couple of days for a wash out.  Well...I love using herbal-type remedies and had a bottle of NOW's Ear Relief Drops...so I put some in right away and put in a cotton ball.  Then this afternoon I put more in with another cotton ball.  Guess what I pulled out of my ear!  I hate to admit this...a piece of was the size of a pencil eraser!  I was hearing fine but it would have gotten worse!  Hubby?  He's got the OTC drops in his ear and will work on his.  If he doesn't get as good a result as I did, we'll switch.  The NOW drops contain T-tree oil so it's a bit of a tingle when first dropped in, so he's a wimp on things like that! LOL  Anyway...we've managed to get him to a level where he doesn't have to go back every 6 months.  Yippee!  

We discussed with her several history events in our lives so she was a more aware rather than trying to interpret other's notes and transcriptions.  She really wanted to know us...and that felt good!

Hubby will go back to step mums to resume work on her porch project.  

Tonight I fixed "Cabbage Steaks"...used the cabbage slices, poured butter over them, dusted them with mineral salt and a little pepper, some Spanish Paprika and baked them for about 30 minutes.  Then topped them with sausage crumbles and mozzarella shredded cheese.. Oh my...I'm so ready for garden food!  Lambs Quarter here I come!  Fresh spinach...(we did buy a bag when we went Amish shopping), lettuce, tomatoes, onions, fried radishes...oh...I guess I do have the "gardener's itch"!

100_1469 Cabbage Steaks1.jpg

100_1470 Cabbage Steaks2.jpg

• Like 4

That food looks so good. You are defiantly a great cook. I am going to have to try that without the salt as DH can't have that. 

I to am very ready for a garden. Now that DH is feeling better though he still won't be able to do a whole lot of gardening, we are going to put another one in. My son in law is going to till up and help me to get raised beds in as well as getting the cold box and 2 small green houses set up as well. Guess I better feed him as my daughter refuses to cook.  She swears they won't eat anything she cooks. So she has picky eaters. Deal with it.  So try fixing things they like. I have never had a problem with anything I have fixed here. They eat it and go back for seconds. 

• Like 5

We have a front porch, and it looks fabulous!  There's also spaces down along side where I want to put a raised box with herbs in it, but I'm not sure they won't just fry in the west Texas sun.  They'd at least only get sun until about noon there.

• Like 6

Just been doing daily chores here.  I did help my friend finish cleaning her pantry and came home with another jeep trunk full of canned food.  I'm guessing 3-400 dollars worth total.  What a blessing!  

The weather is nicer today and should hit 65 degrees so I may prune the rose bushes so I can be outside.

Hope you all have a good day!

• Like 5

I stayed up late and got some bills paid. Then I ordered a few last minute things on line. I got some potatoes from Harmony House and some corn chowder. I throw in some canned chicken with the chowder and it makes a hardy stew. I'm not good at dehydrating potatoes. 

I read where India is stopping the shipment on some of their drugs. Clindamycin being one of them. So I ordered a bottle of those for the fish and a bottle of Metronidazole. They are all set in that department now. 

Then I ordered a few things from Amazon. I can't find the chili powder I use anywhere so they had the big 20 ounce jars of it. I got two. Also some more gloves. I got a box of medium and a box of large. 100 in each box. With what I have that will do me. And a bottle of oregano oil for the difuser. 

I didn't get a lot of things but it was expensive. Things have sure gone up in price. I should have looked for some more hand sanitizer but I forgot. 

• Like 5

Busy, as usual, with monthly bookkeeping.  Re-framed the painting, because the other frame just wasn’t right.  Turned more of the big garden, still have about 1/3 to do before it’s done. The tomato sprouts died, so I cheated & bought 3 plants. Planted another row of beets, and some zucchini.  It appears there are some volunteer tomatillos beginning to grow. The camomile is everywhere.  It’s ok, I like it and it has pretty flowers. The Mexican oregano and jalapeños are beginning to sprout new leaves. Also, more volunteer celery is growing in the spice garden and in the corner garden.  
96981022-8C81-48EC-8D58-636A69FB54A0.jpeg

I transplanted all my iris bulbs around the edge of the corner garden, and they are flourishing... Beets & carrots.  We’ve had several meals with the beet greens.485D3C8A-8793-475D-9498-6B15907BEC1E.jpeg

Then, the big garden, tomatoes, onions, beets, zucchini and cabbage, so far.

766AB460-EF68-4E50-9D0F-2FD968BC9374.jpeg

We took the boys to the lake yesterday.  Storms first time out on adventure.  He whined a bit in the car, probably worried we were giving him away.  But, he seemed to enjoy the “see & do” time.Gunny jumped right in, swam around, then, as usual, he was ready to go home.  We joke, he has fun for 15 minutes and is done.  It took Storm a while to figure out he could get in, he got a little excited, then, clung to me like Velcro.  

5AB8A4A6-AED6-480D-B1B3-E7948A672FD6.jpeg

7AEDFC8B-597A-4D8E-8668-14E77646CA83.jpeg

After we got home, DH let him “wash off” in the sprinkler & I dried him.  
Look at that tummy he’s getting. Lol

2B6C20E5-C798-409D-9017-050849BBB4CD.jpeg

• Like 5

Awwww.....Love seeing pics of your dogs [and garden], Annarchy.  "River" and hopefully "car" will become a favorite words. 

Hmmmm....we were going out with my mom today.  :unsure:   My dad called earlier to say she was "sick".   Of course he can't legitimately define "sick".  He can't remember things.  He over and under states things.  All I can get out of him was that she took shower/washed hair and then laid down.  Told him to call /cancel with us.  And she hasn't thrown up yet.  :scratchhead: Does that mean she said she's nauseous...or that he translates 'not feeling well' with that type of sick?

Shower/hair washing/setting/etc wipes her out usually .......normally she wouldn't do that on the day we're going out.  Then again, normally I wouldn't either and I was thinking of doing same.  :sigh:   Told him to ask her to call later when she's feeling better.  He's likely thinking she's dying of COVID already.  :sigh:   I hope he doesn't do something like call an ambulance for her....just premature panic.  She'd be ready to strangle him!  Not sure he's even heard IT is in CO yet.  I think I might drop off his B-day gift a couple weeks early - in case we're banned from the house by then.  Wrapped and not to be opened yet, of course.  :balloons:

Um....just trying to think as I typed all that.  :scratchhead:   Dementia does COMPLICATE things....especially when he's thinking clearly part of the time.  WHICH part is the question, especially over the phone.  After a while.....we alllll act like we have dementia!  Gaah! 

MtRider   :scratchhead:  :sigh:  

• Sad 6

Storm is doing great. Love those pics and the garden is looking good. Need to get ours going soon. Temps are going down again and been raining some here. 

Mt. Rider sorry to hear your mom is sick and can't get out shopping. Hoping it is just that she's tired and needed more rest.  Hoping your Dad does well also.  :pray: for both of them. 

I think we all need prayers a lot these days. 

• Thanks 1

Five ladies on retreat at a lake house.  There's usually a couple more of us.  I kind of miss being out here with no internet, but you see me here, using the internet with nobody ordering me to do it.

• Like 2

Hubby worked at step mum's today.  Me?  I made some home made cottage cheese.  Just a very small batch because hubby doesn't like it.  Made it from my Nido Instant Powdered Whole milk.  Then for supper I fixed us a home made Krazy Krust pizza and I enjoyed my cottage cheese and some of my home canned cowboy candy.  Yummy supper.  Jello for dessert.

100_1471 Home made cottage cheese1.jpg

100_1472 Home made cottage cheese2.jpg

100_1473 Home made krazy krust pizza, cottage cheese, cowboy candy.jpg

• Like 5

Today went out to garden in the morning.  We pulled the bolting collards (I saved a grocery sack full of leaves to deydrate tomorrow), and the radishes which are perfect eating size.  Lettuce and green onions are ready to pick as well.  They will have to tide us over with the remaining kale and cabbage until the kohlrabi gets big enough to eat, and the transplants we bought start producing (broccoli, summer collards, romaine lettuce).  We are keeping  a close eye on the local nursery as he gets more stuff in to transplant.  I am able to pull a few weeds, pick stuff, and generally get in Marys way so far, but I am improving fast so should be of more use in the future.  Went to physical therapy - the same fellow i had before, he is good - and he gave me exercises to do at home to help me get back in the swing of things.  

• Like 6

Little Sister guessed correctly:  My mom was just really tired and slept several hours.  She's got that older age thing with not able to sleep well.  She and I talked tonite....wondering if God was intervening in the day's plans?  :shrug:  DH and I didn't eat at restaurant as we would have with her.  She was fine later but I said I missed her at the thrift store today.  We always laugh and carry on about some of the crazy clothes.  Just enjoy each other.  I was solo today and zipped thru a lot faster.  DH was on the grocery run just across the highway.  Managed to get enough of the list so we didn't even do Walmart.  More Vit C and D!!!

These are things that will be nice if we have to lock down......  <_<   ....WHEN we have to lock down.  :sigh:   But could have managed without.  We got the real basics the week before.  I needed Tshirts and grabbed quite a few at good thrift store prices.  LOL.....grabbed some adult pull-up "diaper" things.  For if either of us got REALLLY sick.  OR....we use them during Koa's heat cycle.  Cut out hole for tail.  VERY inexpensive in unopened bags at thrift store.  Finally found some Sorrel winter boots for DH.  His previous ones developed a leak and he's been getting by with a less insulated pair.  Don't want to invest in WINTER stuff if we end up in Hawai'i some year soon.   But we still might have some significant winter yet to endure.  However, today was a very warm day ...high 50's.  I sat outside and enjoyed it til DH came and picked me up.  He was surprised I was finished.  Yeah, my mom and I ENJOY our time.  :lol:   This time I just got 'er done!  :shopping:  

Really late tonite.....2AM here.  Wound up some adrenaline to be able to do this day.  Now waiting for adrenaline to stop.....

MtRider  :offtobed:    sooooon, I hope. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Hubby worked at step mum's today.  Me?  I made some home made cottage cheese.  Just a very small batch because hubby doesn't like it.  Made it from my Nido Instant Powdered Whole milk.  Then for supper I fixed us a home made Krazy Krust pizza and I enjoyed my cottage cheese and some of my home canned cowboy candy.  Yummy supper.  Jello for dessert.

I am curious about your usage of Nido. I discovered it in the Hispanic section several years ago. It was MUCH cheaper than the regular American brands. Do you prepare it any different than American milk recipes?  :hug3:

• Like 1

When my boys were young, I used Nido all the time.  So much cheaper than liquid milk, and tasted so much better than the fat-free powdered milk.  You couldn't get powdered full-fat American milk back then, not for the kind of price that would let me use it on a daily basis.  The cans look different now, and the labels read different.  I am not sure it's the same stuff.

• Like 1

Slow getting started on things this morning. Got up at 8 am, made coffee and still sitting in front of computer drinking coffee and deleting junk mail. Seems every time I  get it off my e-mail I get a new batch of something trying to use the coronavirus to get me to buy from them. Not happening.  

WE2  How do you do those broccoli sprouts.  I would love to try it.   Right now I am growing veggies from left overs and getting ready to try the tomatoes that way. So far lettuce and celery is doing great.  They are sitting on dinning room table where they get the morning sun.  Took me a while to figure out how to do it.  I want to get an inside garden going this way. No seeds, no going out to buy plants. Just grown from where you cut off the bottom of the celery and lettuce.  Tomatoes, I am going to try the cherry tomatoes first. Don't think the yield will be as good as planting outside but it does give me another means to grow veggies inside. 

Ambergris,  I am thinking of buying some of that milk to try.  We don't go through milk like we used to and with that I can just make up what we need for the day.  I could make it the night before and just put in fridge for next day. Some days we don't use milk other than DH uses it in his coffee.

• Like 1

I did manage to get off my duff and get a few things done today.  Washed the sheets I didn't get to last Monday, Mopped and cleaned the rest of kitchen. That was the deep clean I was trying to do when DH kept getting in my way and wanting to cook. He made potato salad and deviled eggs.  But he messed up where I had already cleaned and left the mess for me. Go figure. 

Fixed chili for dinner tonight since it has been a cold day all day. Wind was blowing hard this morning.  We stayed home all day. But going to Church tomorrow cold or not.   Got all the clocks that are manual moved up an hour.  Yes it's that time again and I hate it. Wish they would leave the time one way or the other. Takes me a week to get used to it if not more. Got to dig into this house next week and go through some things.  A bit of organizing in our bedroom closet.  It's a walk in and like a magnet things just get dropped there. Time for a good clean out. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Homesteader said:

Nido

I find it takes much less.  It's so very powdery and fine that you get a lot more in a measure than you would for a measure of the other brands of instant milks. There's also a powdered instant potato mix (can't think of the name...it's at the homestead pantry...that's like that also.  So very fine and powdery that I get a LOT more instant potato mix than with the name brands.  Another instant milk that I put back is Sanalac...it's very similar to Nido.

• Like 2