MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

21 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

WICK tub method and don't have to poke holes in the bottom.

Our tubs are doing great...but with Leon's method we did drill a small hole three inches up from the bottoms.  We're calling them "P" holes!  When the tub P's ... we know it's got a reservoir of water that's at least 3 inches deep...LOL

• Like 3

Worked in the garden area while hubby pulled more brush from the "neglected" corner...boy does it look different.  The city came by and picked up all that he got to the street so he had to pile the rest on the little trailer.  We'll just have to take it to the re-cyclers.  All the tubs are looking good.  I staked the tomato plants up, they're getting tall enough to want to bend and did a bit of pruning.  Pulled one that was looking a bit "limpy".  I still have 5 nice looking plants left.  Also put supports around the zuchinni, yellow squash and canteloupe and plan to train them to grow up and over the "trellis" wires.  Pulled Polk from the potato beds...that stuff if merciless in our area and it's been a constant battle every year to keep it from taking over everything.  We pull it before it goes to sees so it does seem to be getting less and less.  Did pour about a gallon of water in the tub tubes, even though it's rained the temps have been very hot.  Stuck some additional mint starts in some of the squash tubs...and then crushed some leaves and spread them round the edges.  Really want to try to keep insects away without having to spray.  

Our blackberries are beginning to turn a bit pinkish so it won't be long before we'll need to fight for them...grrrr!  The raspberries are just "there"...this is their first year so we don't expect anything out of them.  Hubby cut out all the "old" canes to make room for these new ones.  He may have gotten a bit energetic...LOL

After lunch he went to work and I did a little bit of mowing so he only has a little bit more to do as well as do some weed eating.  Tomorrow we'll try to get most of the homestead mowed.  He got a replacement wheel for the small mower that I use in the garden area and he uses the biggin for all the rest.  Both are self propelled...the one here...not.  The propel broke and it's one heavy mower so I only do bits at a time.  "Someday" we'll get the riding mower fixed and it will be much easier.  The repair shops here seem to be booked solid and we're not crazy about leaving our mower with them for weeks on end.  Hopefully the one we like to go to will get caught up now that he's open.  The other one is in the town where the Roost property is and we'd have to haul it on the trailer to get it there and then back when fixed.  

Sister in law notified everybody that she's de-activating FB and if anybody wants to know about my brother they can call her cell number.  Went through something very similar when my other brother passed.  His wife cut everybody off except her family.  I expect she'll be having only their "party" friends around.  She loves the liquor bottle.  I'm sure sure he doesn't really mind right now because before hand he was a party animal too, and now he's drugged on the really strong stuff.  She said the MRI showed that the tumor in his long was larger and pressing against his heart, moving it to where it really shouldn't be.  Guess it causes a lot of pain when that happens.  

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we called to go see him and were told "no" for whatever reason she comes up with.  Last time (and only time) we went we took a meal and she spent the whole time at her computer "working"...then apologized online for not being better company.  It is what it is.

Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but we had thought about selling the truck "as is" and selling the travel trailer.  We've decided to just fix the truck and keep the trailer,  We'll keep Miss B for the time being also.  They all make wonderful bug out vehicles, and we would still like to find a few acres "somewhere" that we could go to if we needed to.  We could live in the trailer very easily if we had to.

Got one of the totes filled with vacuum sealed bags of some of my winter clothes.  We'll take it with us in the morning.  Sunday will be a humongus work day for us.  We need to clear out the upstairs "kitchen" and make room for the downstairs kitchen's microwave cabinet.  We're taking it upstairs and will use it for storage as well as putting one of our other microwaves in as a backup.  The other microwave we'll probably just store since it's a very small one.  THEN into the kitchen comes my pantry shelf! Looking forward to that...but not the work.  Wish we could find another day, but hubby's working and about all we have for our projects is evenings and weekends.  After he gets step mum taken care of Saturday, then we'll have Saturdays to do a lot of things.

Sometimes we're so far behind we think we're ahead!

• Like 5

Hubby mowed the front half of the yard at the homestead and I mowed the garden area.  Told him "the longer I mowed, the bigger the yard seemed to get!"  But...it's done.  He'll finish up the east half of the property.

He managed to get a dose of poison ivy on the lower part of his arms so he's using the clear calamine on it. A friend of ours got into it and was having a tough time getting rid of it.  Her family told her to use Zantel (?) it's an OTC wash and she says it's getting better. I may have to make a paste out of my pine tar soap for him to use if the calamine stuff doesn't work.  

He thinks his yard work shirt (and his jeans?) had it on them and he came in contact with it.  He wears long sleeves etc., when he's pulling brush and mowing (we both do) so it stands to reason that he came into contact with it that way because his arms were covered.

Going to step mums tomorrow so he can do her odd jobs.  I'll go along and visit for a couple of hours.

Hubby seems a lot happier knowing he'll be keeping his truck...and I'm a lot happier knowing I'll be keeping my "home on wheels"!  Too old to be making all these drastic changes! :24:

• Like 5

Ugh, I hate poison. If I get it it goes in my blood stream and I have to get shots. I'm a real mess with it. My grandma was the same way. She could get it just by walking by it. I know it comes from the oil in the leaves but we are 'special' that way.  :rolleyes:

I wish I had pictures of myself when I've had it. In my eyes and everywhere else you can think of. I could only lie on the bed between sheets. Couldn't use a fan because the air tickled and made me itch more. I get ivy, oak and sumac. Lawsy, the flashbacks. 

I didn't know they made clear calamine. I have some of that Zanfel. Not sure why because if I get it I can't treat it at home. Just in case I guess. I do remember it was expensive though. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

It got hot again.  We had 3 days at 100°, but, now we are back above 105°. My vehicle said 112° yesterday.  Watering the yard & garden in the evenings, otherwise, it evaporates in a couple of hours and turns the ground as hard as a rock.  The birds spend a lot of time in my garden, under the trees, and in & around the water dishes.

Last night, Storm started barking in his room (my office). DH let the boys out and they, and all the dogs in the neighborhood were in an uproar.  DH said it was a Cougar wandering around the neighborhood.  

Still waiting for the bed frame to get here, so I can finish re-organizing my room.  It’s been a major challenge... (“I’m NOT a hoarder!”, nope, nope nope... well, maybe a little bit with paperwork and receipts.... but I’ve been audited... they want to see & prove you have the receipts.). I really didn’t realize I had paperwork as far back as 20 years.  I did keep a couple things dated in the 1970, just for giggles & memories.  ;) Managed to get all the paper down to 5 filing cabinet drawers.  :happy0203:

Time to get back to work.  :hi:

• Like 3

I keep paper receipts, also @Annarchy.  Haven't been audited yet, but always want to be prepared! 

Watered the gardens early and then walked this morning.

Went visiting a couple of friends that I haven't seen since the beginning of the debacle. Had a nice time. Went to Dollar General on the way home.

Just been reading a book this afternoon until now. I will write 3 eBay drafts this afternoon that I already shot photos for.

Later, I need to harvest Sugar Snap Peas and pull some weeds.

• Like 4

Goodness, Jeepers.  Did you know that ....I believe mango trees would be included in that bunch causing you trouble. 

Cougar 'in town' .......highly unusual, isn't it?  Even small town?  Eeeep!  They give me the creeps! 

Today has been a ZERO!  Woke with very stiff neck.  DH adjusted it and I lay down to rest it.  Took short nap and now is much better.  In-House chiro.  A very good thing!  :wub:     But....I still have no energy.  Hmph. 

MtRider  ....reading Kindle mostly. 

• Like 3

Took care of step mum's "list" today...except he didn't have the right size of 2x that he needed to put on the bottom edge of her garage door.  So...he'll need to go back again...later.  But she's got her electricity sockets and her motion sensor lights on her screened in deck are all working now.  The ones who are going to re-screen her deck are to be there tomorrow.  That was a job she wanted hubby to do but he really doesn't have the time to do it, plus driving back and forth for his "wage" doesn't make him much, so he's not sad at all.

She and I admired her little garden (sooo glad she planted something!) and then talked about a few things she might want to invest in (since she's feeling like most of us) mainly a solar oven (my preference is the All American Sun Oven...we love ours), a portable butane burner to cook on as well as the cylinders for it.  Watched a video and she was astounded...had never heard of them!  She lives on a lake so in my opinion a Berkey would be high on her list since she wouldn't have to store water like most of us do.

She fixed us an absolutely wonderful "Fiesta Salad" before we left.  So very tasty!  Then sent us home with the "remains" and we had another meal of it for our supper.

Recipe:  Shopped up Romaine lettuce, red beans, black beans, shredded cheese, Frito's and Classic Catalina dressing...a long with toasted garlic bread and...brownies w/walnuts!

I think we're both still in the recovery mode from all the mowing yesterday though.  I've already spruced up for the night and in my night dress! Will read a bit and scoot off to sleep.

Tomorrow we had planned to start re-arranging things in the kitchens at the homestead...did I say "planned"?  Hubby has a bit of a headache (which he never has!) so he took some Ibuprofen and is relaxing.  Took his blood pressure to make sure that was decent. 

Abby-girl is waiting patiently for her "bone" treat...a mint chewy! LOL  Called the vet to get her heart worm meds for 3 months and was told it would take a few hours because they were so backed up!  Give me a break! Told them we were headed out of town and I'd call them next week.  If they weren't so good we'd just go to PetSmart here in town for it.  May end up doing that anyway.  They're into this "dollar you death" mode I'm afraid.  Hundreds of dollars for teeth cleaning, biopsy's on every little bump (which we know are fatty tumors...and small) ... and we already had them biopsied!  

She's too old to be putting to sleep for teeth cleaning...in our opinion.  We're heard of too many people losing their pets when they're put to sleep/anestia when they're aged.  We give her the dental chewy every evening for her treat, and brush her teeth when she'll let us...talk about a jaw clencher! LOL

• Like 5

Humm, mango trees? I don't think we have those in Indiana. I do like mangos though.

Dentists, doctors, vets...everyone is price gouging now. Except the gas stations. Gas is still good around here so far. They warned all the shop owners and vendors not to price gouge or else! Guess the professional workers didn't get the memo. 

Sweet little Abby Girl. I still think of her as a puppy.  :wub:

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Humm, mango trees? I don't think we have those in Indiana

I think they are pretty much tropical.  We had them in Central FL, but I tried to grow one here in MS and couldn't get it going.  Might try again, though.  I love them!

• Like 2

Did video first thing this morning, fed dogs and then cleaned baths.

Went to Church. Came home and prepped sugar snap beans to cook and made cucumber tomato salad, then sliced okra to put in freezer.

Fed compost with some old hay from goat shed.

Only thing left is to take some eBay photos and rest.

• Like 2

Wonder if you could grow mangos in a green house. 

Been taken care of DH. He still needs a lot of help to move around and do things.  Worked him over doing his exercises today.  He is worn out now. But must be done if he's going to start walking without help and be able to do for himself again. Still waiting for hospital to call for his surgery date. Maybe they will call this week. The sooner he gets that done the sooner I can get him on the road to recovery. It has been a tiring and slow process for past few months. 

Our yard man still has not bought the mulch for the flower beds. Guess I will be calling him or finding a new yard man that will take over doing all the yard work. I have asked him now for 2 years to do the flower beds. He still won't do them and now I am trying to get outside to get it done. Not easy when you are having to take care of a love one. But I am slowly getting things done. 

Got all the winter clothes packed and put away and the summer ones are now put away. 

Just need to get floors mopped and clothes washed tomorrow.  Thinking the physical therapist is coming tomorrow. That always slows me down with things I need to do.  Need to clean bathrooms again. Maybe I will get that done early in morning.

Going to sit down while DH is resting and read Bible. Not able to go to church right now and we are both missing it. But DH is unable to go and I can't leave him by himself yet.  He is a fall risk. 

Going to try to finish power washing the back porch.  Got all the loose dirt and grime off and now just need to clean the patio. Hoping to get that done Tuesday.

• Like 2

Accomplished our goal!  Moved the microwave cabinet upstairs into that kitchen area.  I use it to store my essential oil etc.  They were on a plastic shelving unit...this will be so much nicer.

Then moved the pantry we bought a couple of years ago, into the main kitchen.  It's 8' tall and has lots of shelves with doors.  I'm gonna love it!  Paid 35$ for it.  Very nice wood.  Probably pine but me no care!  It's purty!  I'll clean it up with some Murphy's oil soap (?) and it should look quite nice.  Hubby's going to add more shelves to the lower part so that I can have two shelves (in each one that's currently there) to put my EZ reach canned goods and the other shelves I'll put my half gallon jars of granola, pasta etc. on them.  The very top shelf will be for the "booze".  

Gave the garden tub tubes a good fill.  I've got a bloom on my Zuchinni! The Canteloupe and Yellow Squash are looking great also.  I put tomato cages around them to train them upward.  The little sparkly spin wheels seem to be helping keep moths away as well as having mint growing in the tub also, and fermented comfrey leaves laying on top.  

Some how or another my little plant stand that holds my flower starts etc., got blown over.  Not sure how?  Anyway...I set it in another place and guess whatever lives will live.  Gave each pot a good watering.

The two potato beds are flourishing and some have blooms.  I think the blooms are so pretty.  When the plants dies back I'll start hand digging for potatoes.

Our state is to be officially "open" Tuesday.  We noticed Golden Corral was now open as well as Denny's and several other restaurants in town.  We're glad to see them opening up...especially Golden Corral.  It's one of our favorite places when we do eat out.

Guess sister in law got some negative feed back from both friends and family about "deactivating" her facebook account...so she's still there.  Can't figure it out though...why is she posting a lot of her stuff if she doesn't want anybody commenting?  I just read and scroll on by.

Hubby's still treating the poison ivy.  I told him "listen to me" and he started washing the areas on his arms with pine tar soup and then we went to CVS and got a spray that soothes and stops the itching.  

Gotta go...time to change the bed sheets and grab my book.  This body looks forward to laying down and reading after a hard days work.

• Like 6

WIND    Had to apply the good DUCT tape to a couple splits in the greenhouse skin.  Bought those rolls of plastic years ago and the splits occurred along the folds.  We do have such horrific wind.  The frame...wedged into the 10x20 dog kennel....was just fine. 

WIND blows the pollen....pine tree this week....and I seem to have a greatly increased reaction this spring.  :buttercup:  

Managed to walk this evening......then :faint3:  Was just limp afterwards.  :buttercup:    This is not the result I'm expecting!  :motz_6:  

MtRider   :offtobed: 

• Sad 5

Goodness, went outside just before dawn and I was cold. Turned on a light to see what the temperature was.... 72°F.  I’m officially accustomed to the summer heat.

Speaking of summer heat, the tomato plants are frying, the onion stalks are sunburned, the butternut might not make it, the zucchini wilts every afternoon, and watering every day, is only making a dent in the heat.   Even the tomatillos are turning yellow.  I’ve begun to spray the coop, to create an evaporative cooler for the hens.  

Today is house cleaning day.  The boys are shedding a lot.  Gunny rolls in the dirt, then comes in and shakes.  Poof!!!  Dust everywhere.  :0327:  

No, Mt_Rider, Cougars are known to be in our area.  We are a block from the desert and regularly have coyote, bob cats, other critters wandering around.  Oddly, this year, we haven’t heard the yotes yet.  Might be because of the big cat making the rounds.  

I need to get more Amdro.  The large red harvester ants found where I feed the birds.  About once a year, I need to put some out.  I’m just grateful we no longer have a nest in our yard.  :amen:

• Like 4

It was an exciting weekend. My computer died and DH ran to the big city to buy another one. The one in-stock online, was not in the store. The clerks kept trying to sell him lower quality knockoffs. DH was ticked and finally start researching what they had through his smart phone. Not sure how much he does research on the device. He is pretty good at answering phone calls and texting.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Mama has been complaining of stomach problems ever since the lock-down three months ago. This weekend was really bad. I called our doc at church and he will take her on as a new patient. I take her in this afternoon and will start a battery of tests, including reasons why she has black stools. She's had ulcers in the past and had her esophagus stretched in the past. I'm guessing one or both are acting up, especially after the horrible stress she's been under the past three months. We still have to figure out what to do with her apt full of furniture so the stress isn't over yet.  :0327: We had mama's old phone number ported last week to the new residence but the cell company keeps struggling with the porting. She can now call out but has a local number so a 9-1-1 call would send them to the wrong address. DH is in his 6th phone call to them today. He's also at our pharmacist's house tearing out the kitchen cabinets today.

Why doesn't life slow down after retirement?  Have I mentioned how far behind I am on getting seeds/plants in the garden?  :laughkick: 

• Sad 4

Took DH to doc appt. about 80 miles away this morning.  If the sun will go behind a cloud for a bit, I will weed some.

@THE WE2'S, Picked up a package of Minties on the way home.

3 1/2 hours of sleep.  Should sleep better tonight!

• Like 3

I found out from the pulmonologist's nurse practitioner that you are supposed to wash your mouth and throat out after using some of the inhalers, because they can give you thrush.  I wish I had known this when my son was small and getting thrush all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2