MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Went to Walmart at 6:30 this morning to stock some canned veggies. They had most of what I needed. I bought the last 7 cans of spinach and the last 7 cans of french cut green beans. They had none of their brand of asparagus.
Came home and par boiled some chicken to finish on the grill later. Fed dogs.
Walked and walked dogs.
Next I have to figure out how to hook up the new thermal printer.
Cook on the grill later and make (cauliflower) potato salad.
Church at 5:30

• Like 3

Mt. Rider, hope your DH is feeling much better now.

Construction is starting tomorrow, being today is very windy and a holiday, they are starting tomorrow for sure.  I have been in bathroom taking down curtains, blinds, light bulbs and sconces off of the light over sink.  So that room is now ready, moved bed and TV stand out of the way and they will cover that up in morning. Curtains and blinds down in bedroom windows as well. So, everything is ready for the first bathroom construction. Then when that is done they will start construction on second bathroom. Then I can get that bathroom totally emptied and blinds off that bathroom window.  I will be so tired before this is over. The whole job will take 4 months. 2 bathrooms, painting bedroom, main bathroom, then den and kitchen.  A lot of construction to deal with on my own, but will get through it. They don't work on weekends so that will give me a break to catch up some things. 

Stay warm everyone. It is freezing outside with this high wind. 

• Like 3

Miki, that reminds me that I need some more spinach. Six more cans ought to top me up. I don't eat it often even though I do like it. Especially with a splash of vinegar. 

Littlesister, sounds like you have your work cut out for you. But it will be so worth it when it's all done. 

• Like 3

I will be glad when it is all done. I have boxes everywhere and still have to empty the lower kitchen cabinets.  Not sure where else I can put things. But I will figure it out. It will be so nice to not have to sweep up bits of wood from the laminate countertop in main bathroom and to have sinks that work. None of them will hold water any longer. The kitchen sink has had parts replaced 3 or 4 times and still would not hold water. So had to buy dishpans to wash dishes I didn't want in dishwasher. But that made it hard with canning season. Dishpans were in the way. 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, TheCG said:

Hubby believes in stocking up on ammo, but not on food.

Do a Without Warning scenario on him!  Tell him the Hooey Hit the fan a couple months ago and you're now down to a few cans of whatever.  Serve that "last bit of stored food that he'd allow" for a few meals.  :lol:  Easier said than done.  Don't get seriously into it with him on my crazy storylines.....  but ANYone should wake up to the reality of FOOD when they sit at table 3X a day!   Good luck!

MtRider  :feedme:  

• Like 3

We are about 10-15 years from DH retiring.  We keep talking about staying here vs traveling or moving elsewhere.   I want to downsize no matter what we do.  

DH keeps sending me links to buy a bunker.  I think he may be more into the prepper life than me at this point.   This is hilarious b/c he lived an urban go-pick-up-dinner-for-tonight life before we got together.   What is that country song?  "I saw the light I've been baptised by the fire in your touch and the flame in your eyes I'm born to love again I'm a brand new man."  I have to say I'm intrigued and could actually see myself living like that. 

Vivos xPoint The Worlds Largest Survival Bunker Complex | Vivos Survival Shelters and Bunkers (terravivos.com)     and a youtube video about it too.   I told him that I was game but I'm a weak southern woman and I may not survive the snow in South Dakota.  Interesting tidbit....Tom Brokaw grew up in Ft. Igloo (these bunkers.)

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2

I know now how the ones on here felt when they were remodeling their house. They are now halfway through demo and had to leave to go back to VA Beach to empty the cans of trash. Seems the owner saves money by not sending a dumpster to the project being done. 4 inches of concrete under shower and floor and 2 inches of concrete behind the tile on walls. The walls were a surprise. They had not encountered that before. AT least not 2 inches of concrete. But one more day of demo and then the fun part begins. No water damage behind walls or anywhere, so that is good. I will gain more floor room also when they are done. That will be great for a cracker box size bathroom. Once they finish that one, I can get blinds on windows and start using that room and they will start demo on the main bathroom. At least they know what to expect for the main bathroom now. Lots, and lots of concrete. I am taking pictures as the job progresses.  One of my granddaughter's said to e-mail pictures from phone to my e-mail and I can then save them from there. So, hoping I can figure it all out and I can send pictures here.  

• Like 3

I wound up at Wal-Mart today. I was getting a little antsy about the food supply lately and went to buy some boxed food. I'm pretty good in the canned goods I think. Especially veggies. I will do more home canning veggies this summer. I got some Hamburger Helper etc. for some variety. And to share with DIL. She is a good cook but I'm not too sure how creative she is. 

I just did a quick look around the non-food section of the store and it looked pretty good.  At least no worse than usual. The canning area was looking great. Lots of jars and lids. Don't let your guard down though. New canners might try to snatch them up in fear of a repeat of last summer. If you need any, get while the gettin's good. 

The food shelves were looking a little bit better. People said they can't get crackers of any kind but our Wally had plenty. Holes here and there with a few things wiped out. Only thing I noticed in very short supply of was pet food, cold meds, juice, pasta, pop and lunch meat. Chicken was all gone and hamburger was in very short supply. Some of the yogurt areas were empty and eggs were pretty low too. I just get half a dozen at a time and they were $1.50. I forgot to check the coffee. 

Two things that caught my attention were there was a LOT of people stocking the shelves! It showed too. And they were all speaking Spanish. Not usual in my neck of the woods, but glad they were working. And I saw one guy pushing a grocery cart FULL and I do mean FULL of nothing but Gatorade. He could not have gotten another bottle on that cart.  I thought about asking him what he knows that I don't but thought better of it. I know it was impossible to get last summer. 

Oh, and I noticed most of the baby formula was not behind locked glass as usual. That was odd. I couldn't believe how much that stuff costs now.  Some was upwards of $38.00 a can. 

I finally found a snow brush for the car. $10.00. I was looking for a $5.00 one but $10 was better than $20. I guess.

• Like 3

We went to the store this evening.   The power steering went out in DH's truck (yes the truck we JUST spent $800 fixing the airbag chip issue.)  So we dropped it off at the shop then hit up Aldi, BJs, and Food Lion.   O MY WORD.   Snow is on the forecast for Friday night and apparently everyone, their cousin, dog, and mother was at the store.  Everywhere was out of a lot.  Bread zip.  Heavy cream zip.   Lettuce low, bell pepper zip, corndogs zip.  Splenda type sweetener (measuring bag, not packets) extremely hard to find --bought all 5 bags of Food Lion out.  Lots of other empty shelves notably in the bread and frozen areas.  The lines were super long and took longer to check out than to shop.  at Food Lion they had 5 of 9 registers open and EVERY line went from the register all the way down the isle to the back wall.  It took us 45m from enter line to check out.  I'm lucky I have DD13 at home.  She watched, fed dinner, and fed night bottle to DD1.  I did not expect it to be this bad considering the snow isn't until Friday and it is only the 19th.  

My freezer that was having sealing issues is starting to have issues again. DH got me a new one and then fixed the older one with a new seal so I currently have 2 large upright deep freezers.  I'm trying to empty the older one and keep it empty b/c I'm worried about it.  I'm trying to decide if I want to garage sale/craigslist the baby's outgrown items or just donate them or give them to a new mom.  I grew up super broke so I'm tempted to try to make money, but I'm currently in a blessed (not THAT blessed) position, so I'm also tempted to donate/give away the stuff.  It is a hard choice for me.  

I'm having a few personal issues and I'm praying for the strength and patience to get through.  I'm in my 40s and I still like stickers.  I'm really happy for the planner sticker fad.   I've started a daily planer journal with a lot of washi tape and stickers.  Quotes for this week include:

1.  You are not stuck.  You are just committed to bad behavior.

2. Do not blame clowns for being clowns.  Blame yourself for going to the circus.

3. Make careful choices.  Salt and sugar look the same.   

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Euphrasyne,  I went to the stores where I am, and it was the same issues, Food Lion had no produce to speak of, the meats were all empty except for some high price roast. No bread, Frozen foods were hit and miss, no milk, Canned goods were slim pickings, can fruit was about wiped out. The canned soups were gone. Lines there were also very long but has several lines open, but lines were very long. Took a long time to get checked out.  Thanksgiving and Christmas were never this bad. We've had snow before, and it wasn't that bad. One of my neighbors was in the store and she said it was like that at other stores she went to. She couldn't get things she needed either. I have plenty to get by for the coming weather, but did want bread and milk, bananas, blueberries and a few oranges. But it can wait till things calm down. I have powder milk and the shelve stable milk. I will just make a loaf of bread.  I was able to get lunch meat from the deli. 

They should have the demo done in small bathroom tomorrow. So next week they should be able to start putting things back together.   There was so much cement to get out, there is dust all over the house. My bedroom closet is full of dust, so this weekend I am going to pull everything out of it. I am sure I will be washing all the clothes hanging up in there. Shoes have dust all over them as well. The hard part is that I have a large supply of emergency things on shelves. So, I will have to get those boxed up and pull them out. They are going to paint the bedroom when they paint the bathroom, so hoping they will paint the closet also. Once that bathroom is done, they will be starting the main bathroom and it will be just as bad. 4 inches of cement under the floor tile and more than likely 2 to 4 inches of cement on walls behind that tile. What a mess.  Will be glad when it is all over. I will be cleaning up dust for the next 6 months. I am not as fast as I used to be. So not looking forward to the amount of extra work I will be dealing with. I knew there would be dust, but this is really bad. Will be busy this weekend trying to dust den and anywhere I can as I have the living and dining rooms both full of boxes of stuff that I had to move for them to do the work. from books, to dishes, and other things. Had to empty all the bottom kitchen cabinets for the countertop to go in. So, all that is piled in dining room. 

Anyone want to join the fun.  It will not be a dull moment around here for a long while. 

• Like 4

It's been a struggle day.  DH had to work longer hours and he's about fried from the past 3 wks of working 2 clients.  Not the in-house work.....all the extra driving!!  The 2nd client sending him alll the way into "town" to get her groceries [his car/his gas] but not getting the code for her payment card correct.....either Mon or Fri.  :buttercup:  Today the delay was the first client....due to the Senior Transportation schedule.  So he'll just work less hours on Friday.  But tonite he's really wiped out.  At this point only driving/riding in vehicle causes his back to spasm.  But seems like that's all he's doing.  Bringing down his general health and ......that strains the immune system.  NOT a good time in history for a less-than-optimum immune system!  Second client now has full time care giver of her own.  :amen:  

Meanwhile tonite:

I washed cast iron pan...set on hot stove burner to dry....went to bedroom and got distracted til I smelled..... DRAT!  Forgot to turn the burner OFF!  Smokin' Pan AGAIN!  Shoved it into the oven to cool.  From there, into the sink and poured water into it.  :scratchhead:    UM.......not sure how THIS happened but I obviously walked away and returned 10+ minutes later.......  Water still running.  :faint3:  WHERE DID I STASH MY BRAIN TONITE????   Then I bumped against the table holding the phone....which fell with a RING of protest.  [the spare Princess phone to use when power is out]   Hope I didn't break it.....they're kinda scarce now.

The next two things are on HappyDog.  I'm sprawled out on bed with computer and books/notebooks/papers and such.  She comes LEAPING UP and landed on my legs......75# of her!  She neeeeded some luv!  :wub:     I adjusted so toenails are not sharing space with my legs....    

The next trick....this is partly on DH who is not strict with the No Dog In TINY Kitchen rule.  I'm making a small amount of popcorn for the sole purpose of re-seasoning my abused cast iron fry pan.  One of the hot kernels POPPED out of the HOT OIL and landed on the floor.  Ms. EAGER  ran in to gobble it up.  I SCREECHED.... "HAPPYDOG NOOOOOOO!"  Scared her so bad she dropped it and ran.  But DH heard me and came RUNNING IN TOO.  :shakinghead:  

" I JUST didn't want her to burn her mouth with a kernel right out of the HOT OIL!" I explained .....to both of them!  :buttercup:  She was okay.  DH's heart settled back where it ought to be...  Sheeesh!  I'm giving up and .....

MtRider  .... :offtobed: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Euphrasyne, thanks for the grocery update. I've been watching a lot of videos where people send in to some channels from around their areas. Some of them are shocking but interesting just the same. I never thought I'd see such a thing in this country. Another thing I forgot to mention is there was plenty of sugar but only a few bags of flour left. And the toy aisle was overflowing. Must be from the late shipping from the cargo containers at Christmas time. They finally unloaded them. 

I like your quotes! The clown reminded me of, 'Not my circus, not my monkeys.'  In other words, not my problem. 

We aren't expecting any more snow for a week but our temps are going to be in the single digits starting tomorrow night. Earlier in the week my town got 14 inches of snow. My snow plow guy took mercy on me and shoveled off my path from the driveway to the porch. When I last talked to him I told him I was a senior and wasn't sure what I'd do. Pffft. Not the first time I've pulled the 'S' (senior) card. Plus it was true. I did call him and thanked him though. 

Littlesister, what a mess!  Didn't you just go through that a couple of years ago when they were working on the outside? You must be dust magnet. :D  I don't have the dust but I know about the cabinets. I've been doing and undoing on and on at the Indy house too. About the time I think I have them done I find more stuff I forgot to take over. And the no stick liner Actually doesn't stick. Who would have thought. :misc-smiley-231:   So now I'm going to have to replace all of that. Not going to fight with it the rest of my life. 

• Like 4

Poor Mr. Mt. Rider. Seems like he can't catch a break either. Neither one of you actually!  

If I remember correctly don't you and cast iron skillets have a history? A smokey one? Don't feel bad. I burned some eggs I was frying for a sandwich today. I don't have an excuse though. I was standing right there. :wacko:  I still ate them with some ketchup to kill the taste. Not throwing food away these days. Maybe teach me to be more careful. But boy did they stink up the house for a few hours. Mine was a ceramic skillet though.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did some shopping at Winco today. Empty shelves were not a problem and neither were prices - at least not until I got to the dairy aisle! Cream, sour cream, eggs, butter, etc were really high compared to last month!  But the "Wall of Values" was a jackpot!!!

I don't have room in my freezer for the chix, so it stayed in their freezer, but 69¢/lb is an awesome price! 
I bought a flat each of the veggies & tomatoes, but I went hog wild on the Swerve! I got all 3 types: granular, confectioner's, and brown!!!

The little power cart I was riding in got quite the workout!

(And there were no limits on quantities!!!)

IMG_20220119_201901440.thumb.jpg.fafc4a11e8beb725eefba10c58fcf5c9.jpg  IMG_20220119_201620325.thumb.jpg.996fcdb495db1a8e985a6cafcff3c47c.jpg        

IMG_20220119_201643983.thumb.jpg.d4311e87ff3b211d7aafc53f60cec46b.jpg  IMG_20220119_201605944.thumb.jpg.1c8a28d87448c45a6d8a08b4e2dff2b1.jpg 

IMG_20220119_201535355.thumb.jpg.62ad9407f6b9cd9670929f3206f7ca47.jpg

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 7

Hubby is suddenly acting shocked that there is food in our pantry that is expired and telling me that he isn’t going to eat it…even stuff that just expired at the end of last year. Wondering what happened to my husband…

My little coffee counter is much cleaner and less cluttered now, since I had to clean off the whole dang thing after my coffee exploded yesterday (I’m thinking I didn’t have the filter firmly attached to the Aeropress.  I had bought 2 folding shelves to go on it (was going to work on that area this weekend - still need to go through the cabinets below) - they fit just on either side of my electric burr grinder I bought myself on discount after Christmas.  I do, of course, have the manual one still, but it’s ticking me off because the lid pops off while grinding.

What’s the best way to store coffee for later?  I buy mine in 5-pound bags, and I’d bought more in December because they had a good sale on it, but I’m only about halfway through my previous bag.

• Like 3

I was so tired last night that I just put away the cold items and ate my Arbys while vegging at the computer before bed.   This morning I got up and put away all the dry goods.   I made an 'upstairs bag' for stuff that belongs in the upstairs area (meds, laundry care, hygiene, etc.)   I'll take it up later.  Today I need to fold Mt. St. Laundry and reconcile the inventory.  The very long, list on both sides, paper on my fridge isn't a shopping list, it is a 'we ate this out of or added it to the inventory' list and I reconcile it to excel when the paper gets full.   I don't inventory items that go in the fridge, drinks, chips, baby food, and canned applesauce because we just eat too much of those to bother.  Same with the small fridge freezer no inventory zone.   Icecream, breakfast items, fruits and veggies I saved bits and bobs of, DH's eat this and burn forever peppers, etc.  

I'm glad that I didn't actually NEED anything last night.   We had to drop off the truck & hit the ATM b/c this week is allowance week (she gets paid every 2 weeks on DH's payday.)  I decided to go ahead and do the shopping so we had fewer trips out.  I wanted green tea b/c I was low and produce for salads & such (lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers.)  I was unable to find peppers, but I did get the rest.  We had run out of splenda, but I can always make due with sugar for the sweet tea if I have to.  DH likes it sweet so I usually do 1c splenda and 1c sugar.  Sometimes 1/2 c splenda and 1 1/2c sugar if he complains.  

I did find some good indian sauces  & veggies on closeout at Food Lion.  I also scored a pack of 8ct medium tip sharpie chalk markers (wet erase type) at BJs for 14.99.  I've been drooling over them at Michaels, but a 5ct pack runs around $30.  

Coffee beans or grinds store best in the freezer.   

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4

And I think I'm cold.  You all have it a lot worse!  I'm just busy.

Another busy couple of days. Walked yesterday, but not today.

Yesterday, paid a few bills, walked the dogs, made a 3 bean salad for Church meeting today. Went to prayer meeting at 6 last night.

Today, made an Apple Crumble for same Church meeting, Went to meeting at 10 this morning to set up for dinner at noon (after meeting). Served and cleaned up. Church at 5:30 tonight and then hope to rest. My days don't sound that busy, but I don't even sit down to watch tv until late afternoon. I guess it's good to have things to do! And it's cold here! 36 and that's the high. 27 tonight. I'm from Central FL and apparently made for that weather!

• Like 4
On 1/19/2022 at 11:46 PM, Jeepers said:

If I remember correctly don't you and cast iron skillets have a history? A smokey one?

:whistling:     I'm sure I don't recall........    :hidingsmile:

Miki......all of you out east are having rotten weather ....repeatedly.  My Bro up the coast has been hit with cold/sleet/rain/snow ...kinda all in one storm.  The moisture comes from the south and the cold temperatures come from Canada and have been winging across the northeastern states.  Bro is on his second nasty cold for Winter '21-'22.  Got any "longhandles"???   AKA ....long red woolies?   Or a stocking cap...AKA:  beanie, toboggan, other odd names from around this country.  Sometimes it's a wonder that all parts understand each other at all..  :lol:   

We've had some cold nights....dipped below zero last nite.  But our daytime temps --- the thermometer SAYS it was 60* today  Well, only at 2pm on the dot!  It begins to lose heat at 2:01pm.   That's always when I ran water down 4 sets of hoses for filling the horse tank.  {boy, am I glad we aren't doing that anymore.....but my hip just went out tonite cuz haven't ridden since....3 wks??}  :sigh:  

Really tho....I'm still waiting for COLORADO HIGH COUNTRY WINTER to start.  :shrug:   Okay if it doesn't....  Mildest winter in a long time.  This year, sometimes we've been warmer than Bro.... :sHa_sarcasticlol: .   {he is not amused}  ;) 

DH is not feeling well at all.  But...he might just pop out of bed feeling fine tomorrow.  Was pretty much in bed all day today-- wrapped in a cocoon of twisted blankets.  Dog keeping him company.  We'll see how he is tomorrow.  This is how he always gets sick.....cold, flu, whatever.  Me....I have all sorts of variations of "sick"....including the very unpleasant symptoms.  I'm trying to stay out of his germ range.  Ha!  We have less than 650 sq ft of space in this cabin.  :behindsofa:    {we don't even have room for a sofa!}

MtRider   ....OK...I'm  :offtobed: 

• Like 4

No walk this morning. Or video--I think I'm getting lazy. Went to rummage sale at 7 and found out it is changed to tomorrow.
Did some errands, Went to local grocery for sales. Our Kroger will be closed permanently in less than a week. Sad. They had some good deals!
Came home and put a turkey in the oven--just came out. Cleaning out freezers as my friend got a deer for us. That will be such a big help!
Put groceries away and took eBay photos for DH.
Tonight is the last Prayer night at 5:30.

• Like 4

Someone else in the office that I work with closely tested positive for COVID Wednesday.  Very rapid onset, felt like allergies, then WHAM.  She does say it’s still about like a cold.

Today, I had a massive sinus headache.  Ended up coming home early from work.  Mom, who lives 3 hours away now, told me that she also has one.  It’s probably just seasonal crud again.  Weeee!

• Sad 6

I have been :faint3:  all day.  Better after I took a nap.  Snow has been falling softly.  We didn't get the last batch melted yet but driveway has streaks of down-to-ground where I shoveled.  Guess I'll be shoveling again....if we don't get quite enough to pay for our snow guy to come.  So far, haven't called him. 

:amen:    Got a call for a horse ride finally.  Monday....  Guess what weather we have predicted:  Snow.  33* for a high.  No sunshine.  Well, I have winter riding gear.  I've ridden in snow many times.  And since my hip just started going out of place last nite....NEEEED the ride!  :happy0203:  

DH is feeling better but still wiped out.   Called off work....his disabled client does not need his germs...whatever they are.  By Monday, he'll likely be ready to go again.  :amen:

MtRider  :frozen:  ...okay ..okay....it's winter!  :rolleyes:  

• Like 3

Heading to the Church rummage sale in a few minutes.

Next will do a video.

Bake cookies for Church youth activity this afternoon..

Walk dogs if it's not too windy--still very cold for this area.  23 this morning.

Church at 3 pm to set up and serve kids.

May pull ham out to bake next week in my freezer clearing efforts.  Then figure out what to can with it.

Glad you get your ride, @Mt_Rider and hope your DH feels better soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m off my feet… did too much the other day, moving the mulch from the bin to the garden, then, digging it into the dirt.  8’ x 6’ - 2’ deep.  Still have 6’ x 8’ to finish.  Twisted my knee, then, Storm pushed into it & I’m done… 

I’m an active outdoors person & laying/sitting up with my legs propped, isn’t something I do, except on my day of rest.  Drives me edgy not doing something

My tablet is giving me trouble, I tried to “like” everyone’s posts, but it would not let me. :scratchhead: It also isn’t letting me access things…

:baseballbat:  <—— that’s what I want to do to it….  

• Like 4