MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

I had a very productive day. I went on Lehman's website to see when their senior citizen day is. They don't have one now. I Googled it and they said they don't have it. So I figured I might as well go on down there. Well, at the checkouts there is a small sign posted on each of the plexiglass barriers saying Wednesday is senior citizens day but you have to ask for it. I sure did and got 15% off of my order. Odd that they have it and then try to hide it. Anyway, I got the children's garden tools except for the yard rake. I didn't see it. It was the only one in the set that is plastic. I've seen them at Hobby Lobby in the spring. And I found some small work gloves. That little dude had better produce some produce. :lois:.  They had two Berkey filter sets left. I took one of them. They are locked up now. I also picked up two gaskets for my canners. 

I went to the Christian book store in search of Raber's Almanac. I get one every year when I remember. Raber's Almanac - Wikipedia  I also picked up a 'hunt and find' book all about Noah's Ark. G'son loves that story. It was a nice heavy padded one. Only $9.00. 

Then I went to Walnut Creek Cheese. O.M.G They have everything there, mostly in bulk. I got 12 packs of their brand of locally made noodles. I plan to Mylar them up tomorrow for long term storage.  I've never been in their side room before. It was a real treat. They have all kinds of kitchen tools you can think of.  When you walk in there they have hundreds of jars of locally canned food. They have a factory down there. All kinds of pickles and jams, jelly, butters, spreads and sauces. Eye candy for the canner for sure. They have a machine where you can grind peanuts to make your own peanut butter. Then something I've never seen. They had four containers similar to fancy coffee urns. They contained olive oil. One was regular olive oil. Another was extra virgin olive oil and one was garlic infused olive oil. I can't remember what the other one was. They sell the bottles and you fill your own. Then you can bring your empty bottle back in and refill it. Good thing I don't live close to that place. Only thing I bought there was a couple jars of Amish Church Spread.  It's like canned fluffer nutter. Totally unhealthy and so good. The whole area had upbeat Christian music playing. Not unusual in that area of the country though. I did buy a chicken noodle dinner and bought it home. Drool worthy. Obviously, I don't get out much. 

I stopped in Sam's Club on the way home. It looked very well stocked. Until you were looking for a specific item. No bouillon at all. And I wanted some of those huge cans of tomato sauce and dices. I wanted some to re-can and make some pizza sauce to can. They had none. Good thing I didn't want spaghetti. None of that either. I got some macaroni though. Will Mylar that up tomorrow too. I got some more Advil that I was low on. I don't know for sure but I think the capsule count was lower. The bottle looked smaller. Oh and I wanted some Carnation Instant Breakfast powder for Armageddon but they didn't have any of that either.  

I swung in Meijers when I got home. I'm having trouble finding those little Cutie oranges. I found something but not sure what they are. We'll see. But the main thing there was they were giving away N95 masks. Three per person. Since you didn't have to sign for them, I picked up my quota of three. 

I came home and ate my chicken noodle dinner and crashed with my BFF. AKA heating pad. Everything on my body hurts. I'll really be paying for it tomorrow. But worth the adventure. 

I didn't take these pictures but got them off of their site. Next time I'll try to remember to take my camera. 

1. The refilling station. When I was there they only had the olive oil.

2. Just some of the canned food. The walls were full and they had more of those display stacks in the room

3. Bulk pasta and noodles

4. Bulk flours and corn meal

Refill.jpg

Canned Food.jpg

Pasta.jpg

Flours.jpg

Edited by Jeepers
Added Pictures.
  • Like 4
19 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Too many things going on all at once

That's the part that's getting me all worn out. 

Snowplow guy came about noon...not earlier.  He told of his harsh bout with The C for 2 wks.  Then he tried the [now unauthorized medicine beginning with a 'Iver....' ] and was back to work in 2 days.  At last our driveway is cleared!  :amen:

We researched and found the When and Where for Covd testing.  :blink:  Then we had to RUN.  Got there ...very last one before they closed and...they aren't open tomorrow.  Nice folks.  Very organized until the staff kept going back inside to get ......doggie treats for HappyDog.  Yeah, she had a good time.  :rolleyes:  

Couple years ago, I had an up-the-nose for pertussis  [whooping cough....it was negative; I just squeak when I cough so hard] ....and that nearly was up to my eyebrows!  This was barely inside the nostril....and it did tickle a bit.  No pain.  We'll be getting notified thru email.  By this time, we're pretty sure DH has the Omikron version.....cuz he's having pronounced night sweats.  I washed 3 pillow cases today. 

DH was already getting back spasms but we went further into town to my mom's.  She had the bag ready with the portable O2 concentrator.  DH stayed in car...with HappyDog who was unhappy that she didn't get her usual romp around here.  I stayed back from the door so as not to take any chances with my mom.  :sigh:   However, she didn't include the cannula and tubing.  She claimed she couldn't find them.  Big box under the shelves where we keep our puzzles......a cubby hole space in the living room.  Box on floor.  I think she didn't look on the floor until the THIRD time.  :unsure:  She is still quite fretting about my dad's episode and if the care home will think he's too much to handle......and this and that.  She's wearing herself out. :pray:  

We headed for home and DH was already very drained.  We did get the O2 started ......and that's when I discovered the cord she included was for a cell phone.  Soooo DH had to turn around and go back.  Thankfully not far.  I had to stand at the open back door while she held up cords from the desk.  Finally got ours and made sure she knew which one to recharge her device too.  :unsure: 

Went down the highway and at the village, I ran into their small grocery and filled a few holes.  We'd survive without but....fresh is nice.  Eggs, milk, turkey/ham slices, peppers, mushrooms, etc.  DH then turned off the highway to travel the quiet back road home.  Good choice.  He was in pain and sweating and exhausted.  He took himself and "O2-D2"  :lol:  up the stairs and went to lay down.  He was in bad shape!  :(  

I'm going to be in very good shape by taking over all the "heavy lifting"....literal and figurative.  Up and down the stairs with everything.  Then I heated up the spaghetti.  I took it as a good sign that he wanted and could eat that instead of just his kim chee noodles.  I eventually got dog in and out and in and....  The meal ready and served to DH in bed.  Fiddled with O2-D2 ....it was reading "Low Oxygen"  :scratchhead:   Put all the purchased food away.  Downstairs to put load of clothes in washer...with pillow cases.  Get juice in covered glass with straw [Wendy's repurposed] for DH in bed....and his pills he was behind on.  Like heart meds while he's straining to breathe.   AND finally trying to eat my own spaghetti under the watchful eye of HappyDog.  

Then I looked up the brand of O2 concentraters and discovered a part that needed to be replaced when it wears out.  The part that concentrates the O2......which is why it was saying "Low Oxygen".   DRAT!   All that energy expenditure to go fetch it from my mom.....and he's not getting a full amount cuz this should have been replaced years ago!  :sigh:   Paid for the part and can't find out when it will ship.  QUICKLY, please!  His O2 saturation levels go back and forth across the "acceptable" and "no-not really acceptable" levels.  [need prayer]

By the time he went to bed, he was more comfortable again.  Just during the evening hours, temperature spikes and he has trouble breathing.  He's been sleeping well...except to change soggy pillows. 

And no....we still haven't been told WHERE my dad sleeps tonite.   :tapfoot:   It's a good care home but they get a D- for "communication with the family"  Hmph!

MtRider  ....thanks for all your prayers!!!!!!  :grouphug: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I looked it up, smelling weird things is called phantosmia.   It only started after I fell and hit my head/liver and I've had several negative 'rona tests since then.    

I really want to downsize into a single story house and DH may finally be seeing the light.  I've been getting back twinges to go along with my knee problems and he has back/hip/foot issues.   We are both getting older and losing the steps would be a blessing for both of us.  

I'm jealous of all the amish type shopping.  We are still trying to rotate the pantry and empty one of the freezers so I'm limiting our current intake to perishables and revolving items.  I'm trying to rotate down to nothing (pretend we are moving) so I can restock from scratch.  I'm wondering if I can make the candied jalapenos out of dehydrated jalapenos.  

Its been six months since the accident, but I still get very tired easily and headaches.  The baby keeps me busy as she can run faster than me.   Now she has discovered toast with peanut butter and we have peanut butter everywhere. Fortunately DD13 thinks DD1 is her mini me and loves to chase after her.  We had snow last week and they loved playing in it.  I put thick slippers on DD1, plastic bags over the slippers and a loose rubber band to keep them on.  It worked well and she did not have walking issues but stayed dry.

20220122_105850.jpg

• Like 6

Phantosmia sounds familiar. I think that is what she called it now that I see it.

I opted for a one story house in Indiana. It is such a pleasure to navigate around in it. Or it will be if I ever get a working toilet at the other end of the house. And son is a plumber. :rolleyes:   It's especially nice when it comes to doing laundry. My joints and muscles are screaming more and more these days. My balance is getting worse too, It isn't very safe for me to be on the stairs  The last time I took a tumble on the wooden basement stairs I was going up them with a laundry basket in my hand. Long story short, I did a face plant on one of the steps and my front teeth went down through my bottom lip and came out on my chin. By all rights they should have broken off. I still have both scars but you'd have to look for them to see them. At least that's what I tell myself. One of the worst pains I've ever felt. Steps are not my friends. I scaled down on the house size too. 

Your girls are so stinkin' cute! :wub:   Great idea on the boots! I'll bet she loved the idea of going out in the snow in her slippers!

• Like 5

Did a video first.
Started lima beans and ham in the crockpot.
Went to Walmart--fairly well stocked today.
Home now and charging fitbit.
Need to do eBay photos.
Grate some cheese.
Grill pork chops for breakfasts.
Bible study at 5:45
That's enough!

• Like 3

While the crew was working, I went to fill up car with gas. Rats,

it went up again to $3.15. Then ran up to Food Lion.  Wiped out again. They were stocking a little but not much. They did have produce this time, but milk isle was wiped out still. Lots of empty spaces and or just nothing on shelf in some places. Glad I got what I needed early. Tonight, it more than likely starts getting emptied again. Tomorrow we are supposed to have rain and starting tomorrow night through Sat. the snow starts. They are now saying we could get up to 6 inches, but that number still remains in the dark as the weather channel doesn't seem to be able to call it quite yet.  It is a nor eastern.  Going to have hurricane force winds at times. And very cold. I couldn't believe that Florida is going into the 30's. It has happened before, and they were spraying water on the citrus trees trying to protect them from freezing. Guessing if this happens again there will be a shortage of oranges, juices, etc. 

Work on house is coming along. They have the ceiling ready for wiring the recessed lights in den and the mudding in bathroom is done. Just has to dry for 24 hours. They are almost ready to put the bathroom together. So, guessing they will be bringing in the sink, toilet and tile to start the tiling and getting the sink and toilet in.  The linen closet is small but works for the small bathroom. You really don't notice the area that juts out into bedroom behind the bathroom door. It was dead space anyway. So now is a useful dead space. It's not deep but is tall. from floor to ceiling. But will be big enough to store what is needed for that bathroom without having to run to hall bathroom and hall closet every time I need something. Now I can put extra TP, etc. in the small bathroom. Something I couldn't do before. It will be a nice change. 

Jeepers, I love my one-story house. The only steps I have is to go into garage or outside. I am on a foundation. But having one story is great for us old folks.

• Like 6
On 1/11/2022 at 4:25 PM, Jeepers said:

That red head is We2's chocolate lab, Abby-girl, who really looks red

she had just came in from the cold and enjoys snuggling in front of the Eden Pur heater! LOL

100_2020.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The weather can't make up it's mind what season it is!  

Got up to a bit of snow this morning but by noon it was all melted off.

Hubby is building a door from the laundry room to the steps up to the 2nd level.  Keeps the heat from going up or down! LOL

I am so happy with him...he's insulated and sealed this place so tight that we no longer see any traces of mice.  We initially saw evidence in the bucket room, but  I cleaned it all up, washed it down with blech and then Lysol, and it's been rodent free now for 2 months.  Makes both of us happy! 

Not to mention the savings in heat!

We have an Eden Pur Gen5 room sterilizer/purifier.  We just close our bedroom off and I turn it on for about a half hour and we sleep so much better. 

Well it's time to clean up, read for a bit and then hit the sack!  Take care friends! 

• Like 6

Awwww.....thanks for the pics, WE2!  Love to see the critter pics! 

Today was AWFUL.  And.....perhaps VERY good.  DH is more sick but got meds.  He's bouncing between high fever :frozen:  and when it comes back down.  Had a doc consult over phone.  .....we'll see if we hear from Cvd test tomorrow.

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Sad 6

Sheesh We2. Wish my floors looked that clean! Wonderful news on the mice. I haven't seen any traces of them for a couple of years. And I watch for them too. I keep traps set when I'm not there. So far none. I'm going to get the carpets cleaned before I move in. All I can think about is playing on the floor where mice have peed and that Hantavirus. Shudder. I think mine came in from propped open doors in the summertime. I did use steel wool around drain pipes under the sinks though. Will do the same when it comes time to replace appliances. 

I've been hearing good things about Eden Pur lately. They are running sales on them up here on the radio. 

Between Mr. WE and Miss A, you are one lucky woman. Of course you already knew that.  :hug3:

• Like 4

I got all bundled up for a trip to Wal-Mart. I really would like to find some of those Cutie type oranges. What ever the kind I got on Wednesday are a dud. I'm not having a good feeling about finding them. I can't find any powdered bouillon anywhere. Not even Sam's Club. I rarely use it but want some in the pantry incase I don't have any stock on hand. GFS is right there so will try them too. Probably cheaper. Next door is Home Depot. I just want some small things like shims, plumbers putty and that tape you put on the threads of a faucet. I hate needing something small like that and having to stop the job and go to the store for it. Or it happens in the night when the stores are closed. BTDT. Besides, it will be one more thing I can X off my list. Then swing by Meijers to see if they still have the free N95 masks. Might have to buy something little so I don't look obvious-er. Toilet paper is always a good option. 

I opened the garage door and it is snowing so hard you can barely see the house across the street. :008Laughing:

I came back in and put on my boots and grabbed a cup of coffee to fortify myself. Fortunately I like driving in the snow. 

• Like 3

Jeepers, WM has bullion, in the Mexican food section and, they had Cream of Wheat & Grits in the spice section.  Guess who stocked up….:happy0203:

FCAB92CE-0EFC-4934-9BD3-B8CA73AE6CE3.jpeg

I stock the beef, chicken, and tomato bullion.  3-4 jars in storage of each, then, as I use one, I buy one.  Same with all my spices.  Sometimes, it’s months before I am able to find the replacements, even using on-line.

DH got really insistent to go & stock up.  This was the first time in months he has gone with me.  He was pointing out shortages on the shelves, and I was noticing expiration dates only a few months away, on items that normally have 3-4 years.  

He filled the cart.  I spent part of my canning wait time, jarring and putting everything up.  Found 25 lbs of sugar for $12.00.  He told me to do the same thing again on payday.  He’s really worried about the prices and availability of things, and wants us to be prepared, JIC.  If nothing happens, prices quit going up, we haven’t lost anything, but, if prices keep going up, we’re a bit ahead of the game.

Very strong easterly winds today.  Blew over our porch swing.  I couldn’t see picking it up,  as long as the wind keeps howling.  Plus, it’s too heavy for me to do it by myself.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just this week I've tried Sam's, Wal-Mart, Giant Eagle, Meijers, GFS and no one had the powdered stuff. Plenty of the liquid kind but I want some powdered shelf stable kind. Did I look in the ethnic aisle? Of course not!  Sigh.  Will start all over next week. There is a definite shortage of the powdered kind. The bulk food stores probably had it. :gaah:   I hear a lot of people talking about spices being hard to find.

I like the way you and hubby are thinking. The worse that can happen is you will have a full pantry tomorrow at yesterdays prices.

• Like 3

DH has been up and down .... feeling much better.....then  :faint3:  back in bed shivering realllly hard!  :frozen:  Not raising temperature as high as yesterday.  

HOWEVER my temperature got very high tonite.  :motz_6::motz_6:  :motz_6:   We finally got notification of the C or not the C.....that's been our prime question!!!  Some fool programmer set up the system so you have to receive results by your email....THEN go to their site and create an account...email name, password, etc.  THEN you can see your result.  Mine is NO.  :amen:

THEN I tried to get DH's result....but every time I put in thru his email account but SAME COMPUTER [cuz it's the only one that's working right now-we're sharing it!!]  the system just jumped a page to MY result. 

:gaah:  Old news, bud!  We REALLY NEED to know DH's results.....does he have C or not????  I shut the computer off twice.....and opened only his email page.  Clicked on the email they sent him.  Tried to beat out the auto-forward to MY results.  Yeah....I don't have C.  I know that already! 

:tapfoot:  .....took test 3 days ago.  Tomorrow is weekend.  Wait 2 more days to call public health dept or something?? 

:(   ....and besides.....I've been feeling really worn out today.  Hands were trembling badly this evening.  The cornbread tastes ...sharp.  ???  I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW WHAT DH HAS......in case I'm now getting it too!  :motz_6:

MtRider  ..hopefully I'm just worn out from doing everything while DH has been down.  :pray: 

• Sad 7

Well, we talked to the lab this morning. They re-sent the results so we can both see ours clearly.  Yes, he's got it.  No, I don't....[as of Wed when we tested].

We were pretty sure but needed to know for his job.  So now I'm a little confused on the latest ......opinions .....about isolation.  5 days from having symptoms?  So far, I still don't have symptoms.  I think I'll have to have my scheduled appt. via phone later this week.  That's doable.  DH is improving day by day now...  :amen:   Had me scared that one day.

I'm TIRED!  It's day 10 of this siege.  But....DH is getting better.  Not there yet but not where he was 2 days ago. 

MtRider  :amen:    ... and now he has real antibodies.  Thanks for prayers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Glad at least his suspicions have been verified. Hope all of this natural immunity thing works to both of your advantage. Maybe you have had a mild case of it already and will be in the clear from now forward too.   :pray:

Praying he continues to heal and am thankful he was able to avoid the hospital.  :pray:

What a confusing mess all of this has been brought on us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad you know what you are dealing with now, Mt Rider!

I added all dry boullions to my list for tomorrow, Ann.

Hey, where's Kappy at?  Haven't heard from her lately.

I'll be doing as little as possible today.
Sunday School/ Church
Walk dogs
Set up DH's meds for the month
Make a phone call or two.
Hoping that's it!

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 2

@Jeepers Not quite the same.  The Knorr is a lot like the cubed bullion, but, heavy on the tomato.  Powdered tomato doesn’t have as much of the salt & spices.

@snapshotmiki, excellent choice, IMHO.  Keeping bullion stocked, give us a plethora of choices, when trying to break up the monotony of daily meals.  Sometimes it only takes a spice to refresh a used recipe...:happy0203:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Miki, I looked up bouillon on Wal-Marts website and they said they had the beef ones. I couldn't find it anywhere. Now I'm thinking Annarchy is right. It's in the ethnic section. Some beef bouillon is around but not much. Chicken bouillon is scarce and very expensive.

And yeah, where is Kappy?  :unsure:

• Like 3