MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

That's a lot going on for you right now Littlesister!  I hope you sail through today and tomorrow and can rest on Sunday!

You always seem to have a lot going on, Jeepers!  I hope life will calm down for you sometime soon!

Already walked, this morning.
Going out to pick up branches from rose pruning the other day.
Make Sweet Potato Cobbler for a dessert I am taking to Church fundraiser tomorrow.
Might pressure can some fresh corn today.

• Like 2
On 8/24/2023 at 11:05 AM, Littlesister said:

Hope everyone is doing well.  And that Mt. Rider is doing ok. Still in my prayers for her and family. I know this has been a shock to say the least. I just hope their jobs were not affected as I have heard some jobs are no longer there in Maui do to the fires. 

If you want to know what is really going on in Maui follow this channel - Hawaii Real Estate

Citizens filling the gap left by unresponsive gov't agencies reach out with "on the ground" reports and lists of NEEDS for the fire victims (including animals).

HELP US AMERICA! What Victims NEED to Know Now Lahaina Fire - Update August 22, 202

All of the following websites and funds have been started by this man and his team to fill the gap left by "I'm the government and I'm here to help you" promises.

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Littlesister said:

It is a second story apartment and no elevator. So not sure I will go to help carry anything up the stairs or not. Depends on my knee. 

IF you go, you should perform "guard duty" over the vehicles while GS, et al, carries the stuff up to the apt. :engel-smilies-10-1:

• Like 4

Right now, I am home and DD, SIL and GS are still at apartment. While they went to unload two cars a truck and a trailer, I took tables and chairs over to GD's house for the baby shower. So, I got lucky this time. It was my first time going to GD's new house. They just moved in not long ago. They are still working on house and trying to finish unpacking. Her friend and her DH came over to start setting up for the party. GS is staying with me tonight as he is going to baby shower with me tomorrow. So easier for him to spend tonight here than coming all the way from Norfolk. And he doesn't know where the house is yet either. It is a farmhouse type of house and though they are renting it is huge and so cute. I really liked it. It is 3 stories. Third floor is nothing, but a bedroom and they are using that for the guest room. Huge yard also. So, she hopes to put in a small garden next spring. 

We were able to get everything in cars, truck and trailer except the couch and GS's food. He has a chair for now. So will have to hold out on couch till next weekend unless SIL decides to take it on Sunday. Not sure yet. Everything else will go into GS's car. Yeah, I have a hole in the living room floor now. I can see it. And I no longer have a path to front door. There was a foyer under all that mess. And as for the garage, yes, I can now turn around in it. Now to paint the front bedroom and get my desk, sewing machine table and all the craft stuff in there and out of living room. That will totally empty the living room. It is going to be so nice to have my house back again. I'm not going to know how to act. DD has to do some shopping for GS tomorrow afternoon as she decided to hold out on mops and things till, they found out if he had carpet or hardwood floors. Turns out it is all hardwood floors. No microwave so she is buying him one of those tomorrow as well. She said his apartment is really cute. I really do hope this will work out for him, and he grows up a lot more from living on his own. I have loaned him my transponder for the toll through tunnels. When he gets back, I am going to add him to my account. Till he can get his transponder. Without one of those he would be paying more than double to go through the tunnel.  So that account will take about 2 weeks to get set up but will have mine for the time being. 

• Like 4

We have had two days of bad storms here. I usually can't hear them in this building but the last two nights it was pretty bad. Lots of thunder and lightning and heavy rain. One time a big clap of thunder went off and it sounded like it was right outside of my window. About scared the stuffins out of me. Suppose I'd better go check the house tomorrow. They left the plywood out in the driveway. It is covered up but I imagine it got pretty wet out there. We have had no summer this year at all. All week it's been in the 70's. Next week it's supposed to be in the 70's too. I'm not complaining! But it is odd for us. Wonder how the farmers/gardeners are dealing with it. I know some crops like hot weather and we just haven't had any at all. 

• Like 2

Will be leaving in an hour or so to head to baby shower.  Then after will be going with GS to his apartment to help him finish getting settled in. Only piece of furniture he couldn't get on truck was the love seat, but he does have a recliner that his mother gave him. So, he has that till he and his dad can get couch to him. He can make do till then. I am looking at everything I will need to do as soon as the rest of GS's stuff is out of house. Not sure where I want to start yet, but might just deep clean main bathroom, den, kitchen and my bedroom now that all the baby things are out of my bedroom and in car. It will be easier to clean floors and dust now. 

Then get that bedroom painted and all the sewing, desk, etc. back into the front bedroom and get it all set up. Then clean-living room and get the hall and living room painted. By then it should be cooler weather enough to tackle the garage. Lots to do in there. Lots to give to Goodwill as well. Downsizing will soon be in full force. 

Jeepers, I hope everything at your house will be fine.  Just glad they are going to be starting full force on your house soon. That must have been some storm. I'm sure the rain was needed but not the rest of it. 

I am going to have a long tiring weekend, DD and SIL will be leaving Sunday evening. Then come Monday my work begins. Can't wait to get started on house. It's been a long time coming. 

• Like 2

Already walked.
Shaved DH's cheeks. He will be face timing with FL family as they spread his dad's ashes.
Next, will make sweet potato cobbler for fund raiser, but not going to work it. It is about 70 miles away and would be riding with others. Would be gone about 8 hours. I'm not feeling confident enough about DH's health to risk being far away and not able to get back fast.
I have corn cobs from the corn I froze yesterday. Will make corn cob syrup with maple flavoring. I already have corn cob jelly, so want to do something new.

Have fun at the shower, Littlesister!  

• Thanks 1

Hopefully reconstruction can at least start next week. I'm not holding my breath on anything.

Newest calamity is with my hotel bill...again. Last month my adjustor wouldn't return my calls for four days. Wouldn't return the person responsible for my reservations and wouldn't return my agents calls either. So, I got locked out of my room. I put one day on my personal card so I could get back in my room. Adjustor then got back to me and I got reserved for another month. Hotel was to remove the one day charge. But, all this month the hotel has been putting the room charge on my card. It isn't the hotels fault. The people responsible for taking care of my reservation never gave them a new card number. The old card was voided when that #$^&* adjustor wouldn't give the okay to extend. He wouldn't answer the #$^& phone. So my card is the only one on record. 

This hotel is over $5,000. a month. I checked my card statement. There is over $3,000 charged and more pending. I called adjustor yesterday. I texted the person responsible for reservations. No response from anyone. And now the end of the month is in 5 days so I really need some one to do something. I know I'll get the money back. That isn't the point. Good thing I have a high credit limit because I have bills to pay. I can only imagine what I would have done if my card would have been refused while grocery shopping or buying gas. I would have probably gotten ugly-er. I'm calling them and texting them every day. They will probably use the excuse that it is the weekend. I didn't first call on a weekend. It was a Friday.  I've really had it.  

• Sad 4

We are still dealing with high (over 100 degree) weather.  Heat index hit over 110 yesterday.  Whew.  We have noticed the craziness increasing as the length of time in the high heat continues.  Our latest apocalypse alerts involved our chickens. 

A couple days back a couple of pit bulls came into the yard and tried to get into the chicken pens.  We are SOOOOO GLAD we put in the extra effort to reinforce the chicken wire sides with 6 foot tall welded-wire cattle fencing!  Those pitties were leaping into the fence tryng to get in to the chickens which were cowering in the far corner.  They took off when we shouted at them, but came back again 5 min later.  We think they thought we were gone but we were between the chicken quarters checking the fence integrity and taking photos.  We grabbed up a stick (Mary) and cane (me) and drove them off again.  As we got the chickens calmed down so they were relaxing and acting normal again, we could hear someone shouting for the dogs.  They did not return so we assume their owner caught them and secured them.  Even the goats were terrified, so we had to calm the and reassure them as well.  

Two  days later we saw one of the local animal control teams at the grocery store deli/restaurant, eating lunch.  Mary asked them what to do if the dogs came back to menace our critters again and the response was unanimous....shoot them.  Later that evening, THREE pit bulls showed up again.  This time we called 911, then grabbed our sticks and chased them off...again.  we are loathe to shoot someone's pets, plus there are houses nearby raising the risk of ricochets and missed shots harming someone but we did take our firearms in case they attacked us and twe had no choice.  Fortunately they left.  Animal control and a deputy came.  We showed them the fence and doggy footprints, including nail marks where they had dug in for better traction. The deputy was relieved he did not have to shoot them as he was also concerned about the neighbors' proximity.  

The deputy was impressed with our "hardened" chicken quarters and said it had saved them because pit bulls can easily destroy chicken wire.  The animal control officer was charmed by the chickens when Mary went inside and showed how they would run over to sit on her lap (and shoulders, and head!).  She liked the goats too, asking to pet them.  She got to give them treats too and said that was the first time she had seen such friendly little guys.  She said on other calls the goats either had horns, were ornery, or needed milking, so playing with them instead was a treat.  

Both the deputy and the animal control officer and deputy knew whose pit bulls they were from our descriptions, so they issued them warnings to control their animals.  Apocolypse averted due to good prep planning!

Good sales on meat this payday.  We bought extra chicken to can as I cut into our supply heating it upp for dinners WhEn it was too hot to cook.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Jeepers there is no excuse for how that insurance company is treating you. It's bad enough you have a bank holding your money. You may be having to get a lawyer before this is over. 

Baby shower was great. We had a wonderful time.  DD and SIL are staying there again tonight but I don't think they are going over to GS's apartment to help him to finish getting apartment set up. The love seat is still here, and his dad has no plans to help him get it over to him. So that will have to wait till another weekend unless we can figure another way to get it to him. After GS and I left when party was over, we went to his apartment to get things put away and get him set up. Got bed made up. And all the linens put in linen closet and then he worked on his game room/office while I worked on kitchen. It is a very small kitchen, so was hard to figure things out. But we are getting there. Will be going back tomorrow to help him hang curtains and such. Or at least I hope we can do that. His mother took some old curtain rods over there and just dropped them. I don't think those are going to work on those windows. But will see what we can do. Otherwise, will have to buy new curtain rods. I found an extra foot stool that I am going to give him. He's going to need it as the closet shelves are high up. He has 2 huge closets in each bedroom. A lot of what his mother gave him is useless and gave him a bunch of huge pots instead of just pots he can cook for one person with. He's not going to use those pots to cook big meals with. I might just buy him the pots he needs a little later. Hoping we can finish getting him set up tomorrow. I am beat and my knee and shoulder are both killing me.  GS bought me back home and I saw his car was half full, so I filled his car up and then we went and got something to eat. He is staying at apartment for first time tonight. He is really excited about having his own place now. 

• Like 3

Kappy, glad those dogs couldn't get to the chickens. And glad they didn't turn on you and Mary. It's good to know the police knew who those dogs belonged to. Sounds like someone else has been complaining. Hope whoever owns them will now contain them and keep them home. Glad you found some good sales on meat. That will help a lot this winter. 

• Like 2

I'm glad that your GS is finally in his apartment, @Littlesister!  I know it is exciting for him and you, both!

I'm glad that your chickens and goats are safe, @kappydell!  Planning ahead can be a lifesaver!

Regular day, here.
Set up my vities for the month.
Church.
Walk dogs.
Watch a movie with DH.

Still waiting for cooler weather and rain!

• Like 2

GS stayed at his apartment last night. He is excited and doing well. DD And SIL were suppose to help him get curtains up and stuff but all they are doing is helping GD then dropping off things at my house instead of GS apartment for me to take to him. I can barely walk and it is my right knee. Hurts to drive distance. And GS is using My EZ pass till he can get his. So don't have the EZ pass for tunnel right now. I stayed home from church today as DD hasn't given me a time as to when she will be by here. Everything is on her schedule and no one else's schedule matters. Nor does the fact I am having to hold on to things to get around on my knee. Dr. Appointment tomorrow.

• Sad 5

Big excitement for the day...toaster caught on fire in the lobby.

Fire alarms went off in all the rooms. I can't ever remember hearing a noise that loud. It's hard to concentrate with that thing blaring! First thing was to get my jeans on. Then shoes and socks (not in that order) and grab my phone and purse. I thought about the laptop but figured I'd have time to pick it up since I was just standing in my doorway holding the door open. Other people were doing the same thing, milling around in the hall.  I sort of guessed what was going on when I smelled burned toast. 

I'm a couple of doors down from the lobby so it was pretty easy to figure things out. Plus the side door is mere yards from my door if I need a quick exit. But I'll bet it was tough on the people on the upper floors to not know what was going on and using the stairwells. 

It sure did stink the place up though.

I'd wish for a re-do of this year but I don't think I could handle all of this all over again. I've learned that excitement is not my cuppa tea. But I can cope. I haz spunk.  :grinning-smiley-044: 

I'd ask my doctor for some 'nerve pills' but I'm afraid I'd miss something. Or become addicted and that would be a whole nuther issue to deal with.  :sigh: 

• Like 5

That's a lot of excitement Jeepers. Glad it was contained. I just came in a while ago from garden. I decided knee or no knee I needed to get out there. So, I went hobbling out. Yes, my whole leg is hurting. 7 cucumbers, 1 green pepper but those are starting up again. Lots of small ones. 1 watermelon and a few okras. Got those all back to house and just chilling now waiting for DD to come by here to drop off GS's stuff she picked up. There was no microwave, so she is supposed to be going to Walmart this morning. He still needs help around the apartment. So, I guess knee or no knee I will have GS pick me up and we will go back to his apartment and work. Then I will take him to dinner after we are done. After DD leaves, I might go get the right type of curtain rods that we need for curtains and then get him a nicer set of dishes. DD packed up from her house a bunch of plastic bowls with paper glued to them. They look like they melted or something. So, in my book they are useless. He needs a set of dishes. A set of 4 should be fine. I don't think he will be having a lot of friends over living in Norfolk and friends living in Smithfield and Suffolk. But things can change. I am just going to clean up kitchen today and then call it a day. Will sit on couch with heating pad on knee. Unless I end up for sure at GS's apartment. And more than likely I will be there this afternoon. 

GD's baby shower was fun. She got a lot of stuff for both baby and for her. GS got her a shirt that said Mommy monogramed on it. Really pretty and the baby a few things as well. The shower was not the traditional baby shower. No games, just food, sitting around chatting and then opening gifts after everyone was done eating and then some drawings on who could guess how big mama's belly was. Yes, I won. Then others like guess the date the baby will be born. That will be drawn when the baby is born. And then others as well. I won 2 of the drawings. Then after that the party was over and some people left and some of the family stayed a bit longer. I left with GS so we could get to his apartment and get him set up enough to be able to stay there last night. He needed to go by Cox for his internet set up before they closed as well. So, we stopped by their first on the way to his apartment. He then bought me home but had him stop to fill his tank; he was half full but for me half full is empty. Still, it cost him $30. Then we went and got some dinner. Then back to my house where he got the last of his food in car and went home. I set down for a while and put heating pad on knee. Then went to bed. Tired was an understatement. I was exhausted. Not used to that kind of work and having to climb steps to his apartment was no fun. 

• Like 4

I'm glad G-son is getting settled in. I'm sure you are glad too! Didn't sound like his mom was a lot of help. I got some Correll dishes that I really like. They feel like regular dishes but they are hard to break. I don't know how much they cost now. I got mine years ago and at an outlet mall. They sold them by the piece and not as a set. Wal-Mart sells them too.

I hear you about the steps. One floor living was one of the first things on my list when I was looking for a house in Indiana. In Ohio my laundry is in the basement and the bedrooms are upstairs. Two flights of stairs just to do laundry every week was getting tough on this old woman. Now, in Indy, my laundry basket is on wheels and around the corner from the bedroom. 

Hope your knee feels better soon! Is your shoulder better?

• Like 4

Littlesister glad your GS got into his new apartment. I hope he does really well there.

Jeepers I hope your ins company does the right thing but I'd be looking into a lawyer soon that is a lot of money.

Kappy that is terrifying dog packs like that can be so dangerous glad you have the support of the local officials to protect yourself if needed. Hopefully the owners will keep better control over their dogs

Miki hope it cools off for you! I am very thankful our heat wave has passed. Still hot but more what I can deal with in the 80's here.

Today I have book group so going over to a friend's house for that. Nothing much else on the agenda for the day. I only work 2 days next week so looking forward to some rest and relaxation time. Will probably work on a house project but nothing too involved.

• Like 5

Jeepers, the only thing his parents did was to drop off the furniture with exception of the couch. Put the bed together and the legs back on the table and left. They did nothing other than that to help him get things organized and put away. Boxes that I had for him were marked as to which room it went into. When I went over there yesterday. Clothes in living room, dishes in bedroom etc. They wouldn't even put the boxes in the right room, and they were clearly marked. Half the kitchen stuff she gave him were trash left over from when the oldest child who is now in her 30's, It was all trashed. Only kept the good stuff from it and what new stuff she did buy for him. This is his first experience living on his own in his own place and was clueless as to what to do. I helped him with as much as I could and gave him some good advice on what to do. We had to get creative as the kitchen is nothing more than a closet. I have never seen a kitchen that small in my life. The microwave will half sit on kitchen table to use as if he puts it on the kitchen counter there won't be a counter to use at all. It is on the ODU college campus, and it set up for a dorm room. That was the reason for two huge closets in each bedroom. 2 college kids per room and not much else. Bathroom doesn't even have a medicine cabinet. But they rent to non-college people also. It was all he could find as everything near work had a 6 to 12 month waiting list. But the apartment overall is really cute. It will work out for him.

Jeepers, I think it is time to line up a lawyer. Some will give a free consultation and then you can decide if you want to use that one or move on to another one. 

Kappy, I hope you aren't having anymore issues with neighbors' dogs. 

I hope everyone's heat wave is settling down now. It has been cooler here today. But if not try to stay hydrated and not get over heated. 

Mt. Rider, glad to see you back posting again. I know the fires in Maui have been hard on your whole family. :pray:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Littlesister

Maybe this vid will help you when it comes time to do all of that painting you have planned.

Professional Painter Shows The Fastest Way To Paint A Wall

Anthony Pezzotti from Pezzotti Painting is a professional painter. He shows us how to prime a wall and the specific pattern he uses to paint quickly and cleanly. He primes, then paints the perimeter of the wall first. Then he creates a V shape with the roller across the largest surface area. He goes over the whole area again, filling in the holes for a precise and quick paint job. 

• Like 2

Thank you MidnightMom.  I DH and I have painted this house a few times but never with an 18-inch roller. I don't think I have seen those in the hardware stores. We always did the ceilings first and then trimmed out everything, and then painted the walls like they showed in the video. But with a 14-inch roller. We have always used the high-quality rollers and brushes. I am a bit picky on the brushes and rollers I use. Don't think I could handle an 18-inch roller. My issue is my hands are not steady anymore. So, trimming out where the ceiling and wall meet is my issue. My GD said she saw where they had things you can use to help keep a straight line. I need to head out to Lowe's, so going to see what they have. Though I don't buy my paint from there. I like Bear paint. It has the primer and all in it. Expensive but good paint. I have to go to Home Depot to get that. Otherwise, it would be Serwin Willams paint in the higher quality. As for the baseboards and around the doors, those are stained, and I want to paint those white. It is a 4-step process and would take me forever to get done. First you have to lightly stain it. Then put a glaze on there to break the stain, then the primer and then painting it. That is one of the big reasons I am torn as to hiring a painter or doing it myself. I am slower at it than I used to be and now with my knee I am thinking of just hiring a painter. Plus, I need to paint the front door. Still a lot to get done around here but will take it one day at a time. 

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so will get my referrals, and results of lab work, and then will set up appointment with new doctor. I really need a good one. this one was great before Covid so don't know what happened after that. But a lot changed in that office with him. 

• Like 3

I reached my limit today and left a couple of nasty messages. I got madder the more I thought about it and called headquarters. Then a miracle happened. My adjustor called. I wasn't friendly to say the least. So I am extended until the end of September. I also complained about all of the hotel charges being put on my personal charge card. They are to be removed too. I knew they would but dang. I wonder how long that will take. Don't know if they will come off right away or if there is a process. I also complained about my local agent telling me to ask the senior citizens for housing assistance last month. They were really p*ssed off about that. I really let it fly today so I guess I got a lot accomplished today but I'm still mad. Big Mad.   

About the charges to my card, $5,381.60 has been charged with another $2,471.72 pending.  A grand total of $7,853.32.  :0327:

Good thing I have a fairly high credit line on that card or I'd have the bank on my back too.  Sigh

My contractor is on vacation this week but he still emailed me. He found a vanity for the downstairs bathroom that is in my budget. I approved it and then read that it is out of stock. I found another one that is just a few dollars more but with no mirror. Not a problem though because I can pick something up at Michaels/Hobby Lobby and paint it white myself. I don't want to mess around waiting for a back order. Especially something I don't care about. I had no idea bathroom vanities were so expensive. Sheeesh. I also found one for the upstairs full bathroom. When he comes back I want those 2 vanities and 3 toilets ordered. Get them while they still have them. The third vanity will be tricky. It's big but it only has one sink positioned to the right. He can figure that one out. He said some guys are supposed to be there this week and start on the floors and empty out the old vanities and toilets. Dumpster is already there.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Jeepers, you are definitely much more patient than I would be…. Good grief.  I’d be in their office, screaming like a banshee.  That’s what I did with MIL’s house, when her neighbors house burned down and burned her side of her home next to his.  

Oh, the adjuster tried to say it wasn’t that bad, paint it over & it would be fine….  I took multiple pics, showing the Ac unit had melted, windows..glass melted and crystallized, smoke damage, darkened inside the rooms, curtains inside were charred, window frames deformed and falling apart, the sprinkler system I put in her yard.. hoses and the sprinklers were melted!  I still have one melted, JIC.. IDK, I should pitch it… lol. Her roof was melted, 10 ft. And her rafters were charred.  And dripping tar, her electric wires, cable, etc., were melted, with bare wires showing…..

I took pics, printed them out & walked into the ins. agency, asking if they were trying to kill her.  Boy did that put a fire under their act.  She’s over 90!  I even called the city senior services to get them involved.  100° mid day, no AC, and not returning any of our calls.  I went ballistic on them, saying, at least the gas company showed up at 7 am, just as I got there, early in the day after the fire, to cut the leaking gas and replace the melted gas meter…it was melted…..IMG_4536.jpeg

I could smell gas as I drove up, and they allowed me to document the meltdown….

So, the moral of my story is, take pictures, start a word doc, detailing each event, including pictures, then accuse them of trying to kill you.  And document the meeting!  

There is no reason, whatsoever, other than trying to scam you, that they haven’t fixed your situation….  :soapbox:

…….  Everyone is trying to escape their responsibility………

Sorry for the rant, but, I definitely wouldn’t be as patient as you are….  :pray:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Jeepers, take pictures, document any and all conversation, even if they calm your fears, it doesn’t matter, it will stand up in court. If you don’t have Word, put it in another word type document, if you can.  Document every contact, with the bank, names, dates, and what they said.  I’m so tired of all the people trying to rip-off people that have a real claim, and the ins co. trying to shirk their responsibility.  BTDT.  That’s why I am trying to advise you to take pics and doc everything anyone of them say to you… believe me, it could cost you less, in the long run and get your house fixed to sell at market value.  

I worked insurance claims, 10 years…. Pics, & documented conversations with names, dates and times, proved to be a game changer.  They always had to pay, promptly!

• Like 4