MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

The heat has returned temporarily. We hit a high yesterday. I think they said 89 but I wasn't out and about. Today it's in the mid 80's.

I got the yard mowed without any neighborly assistance today. Hummm. I think someone is scared of a woman. A crazy banshee of a woman but still...Suits me fine. Live in fear dude. Live in fear.

When I cool off I'm going to go to the nursery for some deer food. AKA expensive landscape replacements. I'm going to try some mums along the side of the house. At least they are on sale this time of year. I need 7 mums and about as many small shrubs.

I'm thinking about going to Lehmans tomorrow. I'll have to check the weather down there first. I want to check out the quilt shops too. Since I got my quilting fabric sorted and packed, I saw some holes (not literally) where I need to fill in with some splashes of color. Sigh. I would also like to pick up a couple of 'jelly rolls' and fat quarters. I'm thinking about making a flannel comforter next season too. Flannel fat quarters would be nice for that. I was looking online and since I went fabric shopping down there the last time, two of the quilt shops have closed down. Also the shop where I get my oak furniture has closed.

Maybe I'll wait another week so I can make some lists before I go.

• Like 4

Typical CO day.....in the TWENTIES last nite.  Been overcast for 3 days...spitting snow/sleet/rain.  Maui group and DH went fishing and left during a real snow squall.  The sun finally forced thru clouds.  We've acheived 40* but the day is waning and we'll lose that gain quickly.  ....in case you need a weather report from the West, Jeepers.  :rolleyes:  

Dug out old Sorrel boots....boys have LARGE feet.  Had to wear them with wool sox/felt liners removed.  Hope the trout are hungry.

MtRider ...resting, wash hair....going back into the fray tonite.  :pray: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My big dead oak tree was cut Monday and 4 1/2 cords salvaged. I think it took them twice as long to cut due the metal in the tree. 

Tuesday I picked up a load , about 1/2 rick of chunks etc plus three bags of good kindling. Then it commenced raining. 

Today I unloaded the wood on the patio. Then this afternoon I gathered three cartloads of small limbs for the brush pile. May have that much more for tomorrow.

It was 80 Monday, 70 Tuesday and started at 65 today and is now 57.

Sounds like we may get more rain this weekend from Annarchys hurricane.

• Like 2

Thanks for the early weather report Mt. Rider. :D

It's already raining here. I guess it's going to be raining for the rest of the week thanks to H. Michael. The big blow hard. I didn't get to go to the nursery because of the rain. I didn't even know it was raining until I went out.

I got some more books from the library that I had sitting in my wish list at Amazon. I love when I can do that before I might buy them. Most of the time I really don't want them after all. If it's a recipe book I just scan the page and print it on a Word document later. My library has saved me so much money. I'm going to miss it!

• Like 3

so far, so good.  I had to laugh today, the last thing I expected to see on the weather report for my inland county, was a "tropical storm warning" .  Hurricane is weakening as it approaches us, down to a category one, expected to be a "mere" tropical storm by the time it gets here.  When we get a break in the rain, we both hustle dogs out to go potty - she take three out the front door I take four out the back door.  We do, of course have Pee Pads laid out in case we need them.  

so we are sitting around, watching TV for now.

The homemade bread turned out so good that Mary ate some for dessert tonight.  I guess she likes it, LOL.  

• Like 3

Not much going on today.  We had a few already dead branches shaken out of the trees by some wind, but nothing this far inland like we are seeing on TV from the hurricane.

We decided to leave things semi-in-place until hurricane season passes, but we did take the extension cord we had run thru the dryer vent down, and re hook up the dryer.  It ran to one of our gennys we had staged in the car port. And we did drain the water from our bathtub (one of the cats fell in - talk about a shocked kitty! He would not come out from under the bed for 6 hours, not even for treats.  I think he was mad about Mary's hysterical laughing about it.  Poor baby :sHa_sarcasticlol:)

Mary planted out our spare transplants.  Our garden was not damaged either, which was very nice to discover.  
Today I finished processing our sweet potato crop - we got a 32 gal tote full from 6 plants.  Gave some away, keeping some for the holidays, but today I cooked, pureed, and set the smaller and the cut ones to dehydrate.  I'm making powdered sweet potatoes since I usually eat them mashed with butter & salt.  It saves space, and gives me "instant" sweet potatoes.

The sweet potatoes, okra, melons, cucumbers and peppers were all good producers in this last summers heat.  Now it is cooler, the beans and the kale are starting to come back to life, plus the new transplants we just put in - lettuce, cabbage, kale, broccoli, beets, collards, and the like.  The sweet peppers are still producing, and we left one tomato plant in place, but pulled the others as they kind of petered out on us.  The snap beans are perking up nicely.

I think I'll order some "Glacier" tomato seeds to try out in the autumn next year.  They set tomatoes at lower temps, which makes up for their being determinate plants.  I'll just make several plantings to keep the 'maters coming as long as possible.  There are several cultivars, all determinate, that set fruit under cold conditions - developed in Greenland, Siberia and similarly cool places.  It will be fun to try them out as a fall crop.  Meanwhile, cole type crops are what we have, and what we will try this time.  I haven't had this much fun gardening in a while.  We are also putting in another bed - we found a relatively level place for one more - it will make crop rotations easier to do them bed by bed.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3

We are still getting rain. It’s a medium rain, off and on, giving it time to soak in.  It should do the rye grass good, at least I don’t have to water. 

Today is house cleaning day.  Hopefully, the dogs won’t trash the floors. The ferret room was cleaned Wednesday, after Temperance passed. Uriah is becoming more touchable now.  Seems too quiet with just one. 

Time to get back at it.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

We're just back down to our usual 4 of us in CO.  My mom still in hospital...graduating each day...  A little further walking.  A little longer sitting up.  It's Boot Camp for seniors tho...this rehab thing.  :0327:  DH helping my dad get back and forth.  Staying the nite with him.  I saw my mom yesterday for an hour.  We were both pathetically worn out.  I stayed home today.....gotta be a part of the solution; not a part of the problem.  I do chores and eat and rest.  That's a big enough assignment for me right now.  It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD to be with the rest of the family.  :bighug2:  More briefly with our D.C. two.  A bit longer with our Maui group.  :)

Miss them already!!!!!

MtRider  :pray: 

• Like 1

Got home last night, ate supper and crashed!  But...what a lovely 10 day trip throughout Texas visiting hubby's cousins.  Some are aging and it was good to get to visit all of them even though it took a lot of driving.  His 50th high school reunion was "ok" as he put it.  They spent a lot of time just going over different alumni groups...cheer leaders etc.  Our Miss B drove like a trooper and we averaged 15.9 mpg with is super-duper for RV's!  The first part of our trip had very warm weather but it got much cooler (even cold at night) the further northwest and then northeast we drove.  We paid for camping 2 nights but over nighted in Walmart's the other 8 days.  Abby'girl was a trooper too!  While staying at one cousins home (sort of in a country setting) she accidently got out of their house (we had walked across the road to another cousins home) because they forgot she was inside.  They nearly panicked but had to laugh because all she did was run around our motorhome trying to figure how to get in!  We all found that quite funny after picturing her in our minds!  Now...she's glued to my hip every time I move!  "You're not leaving me no place if I have any choice"!  LOL

• Haha 3

The 2nd pc that we use for most of our business crashed...we took it to Staples and they'll be getting it fixed.  Guess when we got home it and turned it on it started loading updates and something went wrong.  We just bought it in February...and only HP honors their pc's...maybe.  If you don't have backup disk's your truly out in the cold.  Well...they don't give you install disk's anymore when you buy a pc so you have to create your own. 

Unloaded the rest of the RV and got things put away this evening.  We only bought $15 worth of food the whole ten days we were out.  I shopped from our pantry before we left and then this evening we shopped from our pantry again.  Love our pantry! 

• Like 2

Time to hit the sack...typing on this little notebook is tiring!  Be glad when the big laptop gets fixed and is home and hooked up.  The other pc is in our livingroom and hooked to a large Visio for tv etc., so we don't use it to handle business.

Oh, Annarchy, so sorry to hear of the loss of your fur-baby.  The silence is deafening sometimes.  Hopefully Uriah does not mourn too long, though I'm sure he is puzzled.  

Our fall garden is pretty much in though we left empty spots for any stray  brussels sprout transplants we may happen upon...back to brush-burning, though we are considering getting a shredder/chipper to help us with the lower yard.  We can mulch the walkways with the chips as well as chip up new re-growths we may take down...in the 2nd photo you can see  one of our brush piles, as well as how we have cleaned out the excess growth on our border of trees - they are all spaced out nicely now, so we can actually see what is going on over there.  Later we are considering planting an understory of edible/medicinal shrubs (pomegranates?  Tea bushes?  Raspberries? Still studying on & off what would work there.) 

IMG_3574.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 5

:thumbs:  Kappy

Meanwhile...iffen y'all took a look at the Doppler today, you'll have seen BLUE large swaths across CO.   Snowed all day at our house.  But it's still got the residual warmth [yesterday was in the 70's] that it's mostly melting.  Probably 5-6" ..now melted to 1".  Nice moisture but.....we didn't even get UP to 20* today.  Supposed to be upper-SINGLE-digits tonite before Monday gets sunny/warmer...slowly.  

Do you miss Arctic Wisconsin, Kappy?  :grinning-smiley-044:

MtRider  ....just taking one more step....one more step....

• Like 1

I’m a dogmom again.....    I’ve been volunteering at my local animal shelter and this little thing wiggled her way into my heart and then my family’s hearts. I’ve never had a dog this small before but she’s the perfect size for us right now. Meet Bella.

129CB692-7B84-4B52-A566-E56F4C4C0E1B.jpeg

C3C74072-84D0-447C-8C6E-3980E8579BA9.jpeg

• Like 6

Harvest is in overdrive due to an imminent hard freeze, and I am trying to finish it all up. We got the apples put up last week.

Today I got a 5 gallon bucket full of Maypop fruits. The vines are just 2 years old and are producing like crazy. I will probably dole those out to the chickens over time.

Having a short break, then I will bring in the balance of the raspberries. I am thinking a raspberry clafoutis tonight. Mmmmm.

The fridge is packed full of tomatoes. The vines have been cranking out tomatoes for months. 

I need to move my potted herbs. My Cuban oregano is already inside as it doesn’t like it when nights get into the 40’s. But the others are going to need to come in now.

• Like 3

Already got laundry started, First load in dryer. Wrapped eBay sales and put out for Post. Going to check out and use my new meat grinder today with some chicken breasts. Also grill one for salads for me and bake one to cut up into little pieces for dog treats. Going to list 3 pairs of shoes and a pair of jeans from my closet clean out last week on eBay today. Need to make my list for ingredients for dog food so I can can it later in the week

Well, the meat grinder needs to be exchanged as it was broken when I opened it.  I guess the chicken burger will have to wait.

• Sad 2
4 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

was broken when I opened it

<_<

Even taking some days off.....I am so very tired.  Visited my mom in hospital tonite.  She's improving and is clasified as "Rehab" now.  Maybe discharge at end of week.  THEN....I might move in with them for a few days.  I cook.  My dad does not.  He called her to ask how to boil egg for breakfast.  Then he tries to re-engineer the whole process...... {don't ask}

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 1

((((((Mt_Rider))))). :pray:

Made it safely to TX wind was a bear.

DH said it was raining again at home, saw snow falling on the mountains. 46* when I got here. DH said it was going to be cold, but I thought the temps he was telling me was going to be the lows not the highs. Maybe I brought enough warm clothes, probably not. 

Mom watched Green Bay beat.the 49ers at the last second of the game. 

What a cute puppy, Dogmom. ?

Sounds like you have a lot going on, Cowgirl, mmmmm....apples. ($1.50/lb here)

Time to get some sleep. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1