MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Did MrsS start you on your canning journey?

SueC

I just thinking about how many of us are novices at canning. How many of you started on this journey because of MrsS?

I know I did, and I cant thank you all enough for giving enough information and help that it made it look so easy

Before I came here, I water bath and/or pressure canned garden produce. But it was here that I really got into canning food like chili & bean dishes & meats & soups, etc - homemade convenience foods! I'm having some for dinner tonight - and I used some to make lunch today.

I water bath canned but didn't get a pressure canner until I came here. Also got started doing meats and such since I been here. All these ladies made it sound so easy, and once I got to doing it myself, it really was!

Q

I only wanted to can, but nobody I know in the "real world" canned, except for my "adopted" mom (I adopted her!), makes jam, but I never canned anything until I got here....

Than that darned pressure canner showed up on my doorstep!!!! Now I can't stop canning! Darn that Darlene! smile

i have done water bath canning for about 7 or 8 yrs. but we bought a pressure canner this yr. because of all the wonderful advice and receipes on mrs. s. we have not used pressure canner yet but soon.

My great-grandmothers started me early as head bean-snapper and chief jar-packer. I remember canning marathons like Darlene's 1200 lbs of peaches - well, it seemed like that much as a kid. I inherited most of my equipment from them and it collected dust until about nine years ago. Y2K jump-started the process.

I have been canning all my life. I helped my mother growing up and then continued after I married it was just a way of life. By you learn so many different tricks and way's by being here and what different things people can. Also new recipies from different families and cultures. I thik this is great. And for new people just starting to can a great place to ask questions with out feeling stupid or being laughed at.

I had only done greenbeans and jelly before. There is lots of advice here and lots of finger wagging when you do a no no smile But its all very helpful to make sure its done right. I think Dar started it with the canning classes .. its all her fault. (Thank you Darlene)

No, but DARN IT !

I haven't canned in almost 20 years and I've been eyeballing the canning stuff at the store ! canning

YOUR FAULT !

YEP! I started gathering canning implements last year and got my pressure canner this past month.

I grew up with my mom and grandma canning vegetables and fruits. I only remember waterbath canning.

Now I've gone and bought some canning jars ! I don't WANT to can... grrr

Originally Posted By: Darlene
Originally Posted By: Leah

Huh?

lol

Darlene, she said she does NOT WANT to CAN!!! There, there. Are the cardboard fumes getting to you now? bighug LOL

GOODMORNINGLADIES.gif, well now, I have helped my mother years and years ago when she was canning. I grew up on a farm so we did a lot of canning. smile

Then after I married Old Pine, we didn't have a garden for a few years, so there was a space of time I didn't can. But, once we moved back to MN. about 37 years ago, I did a lot of canning for many years, then we didn't have a garden. But, in 1999, I started canning meat, and that was the first time I had canned meat by myself. smile

So, the answer to the question, is no, I had done a lot of canning before I came here, BUT, it was when the talk of Y2K was going on that I came here and I started canning meat. smileHAVEAGREATDAYFLOWERS.gif

I don't want a dog either, and my darn son-in-law2B has me noticing all these cute little lop-eared pointy-nosed doggies that want a home...

I just KNOW I'm going to wind up with a mournful-eyed puppy watching me can!

I always canned.. even as a child... know that jar washing, peach peeling, plum picking and apricot seeding which I was assigned to do before I could spell!

I just never stopped. Have a canner down with frying pans, stock pots, cake pans and cookie sheets.

Yes, yes, yes. I had been interested before but Mrs. S inspired me to actually buy the stuff and try it. Not that I've tried it yet, still trying to figure otu the juggle the kidlets thing, but I'm going to!

Mo7

Originally Posted By: Leah

WHOA! Dar.. I heard it too.

Its ok Leah.. its painless. And its fun.. and contagious too. So as long as you are here you will do it.. eventually.. lol

(canners are going to take over the world ya know)

Archived