MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

CALLING ALL NEW PEOPLE!!! (PART TWO)

Cat

I've been trying to decide if I should dip my toe in, or just do a belly-flop. I think a belly-flop is more my style!! :bounce:

I've been lurking for a while too, but I've been getting that 'feeling' that I need to get ready. It could be because I can tell autumn's coming and I tend to get that 'nesty' feeling each year anyway, but I think the upcoming election is making it even more urgent. I doubt I'll ever be completely prepped or be in an ideal SHTF situation, but every little bit I can do is that much less I have to worry about!

Welcome Catwrangla! :wave:

I'm a throw caution to the wind belly flopper kinda girl too. Glad you joined in. I always get nesty in the fall too. I think a lot of it (for me) has to do with cold snowy winter coming and wanting to stay snuggled inside.

Hey everyone! I'm so glad to find a lady-centered site for preppers. My husband and I have done a little prepping back in the days before Y2k, in fact, I still have a few buckets of wheat in the basement that I still use now and then. It's a good thing for us that Y2k didn't amount to anything, as we were nowhere near ready. We were in better shape then in some ways though, our chicken house is now a storage shed, and we haven't had a garden for several years. On the bright side, I still have my electric grain mill and my dusty Country Living Grain Mill, my Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living, and the stuff to make our water pump solarized. My job now is to draw my husband back into the preparation mindset. He's never totally left, but he'd rather ride his bicycle than deal with a garden or animals. We have friends who want to get together and plan how to help eachother prep for whatever's down the road; I'm trying to talk dh into joining that little group. Prepping today is more complicated than it was 12 years ago when all the kids were home. We have a large family, ten kids. Three are married or cohabitating, and we have 2.2 grandchildren and an elderly mom inlaw to plan for. I counted 20 people this morning, not counting one son's gf who lives with her parents. One dd and son inlaw live about 100 miles away, some events would make it tough for them to get to us. How do you know how many to prep for?!? And how do you prep for so many you don't feed on a regular/daily basis? Anyway, I'm enjoying settling in and look forward to getting to know you!

Hi VickiG and a big welcome to Mrs. S. I found this place before Y2K and liked it so much and have learned so much I'm still here. Our lives have changed since those days too. We only have 3 children BUT 2 of them are married with children and one of those even has 2 children. DD isn't marrying until fall but she has her boyfriend so, like you, who knows how many to plan for. It is a dilema but I just keep plugging along.

Hi Vicki :wave:

WELCOME!

I only have myself and adult son to prep for which makes it easier in some ways. But I put back as much as I can in case other family members from a few states away show up. If no one can make it here then it is just more supplies son and I have to live off of.

Hey everyone! I'm so glad to find a lady-centered site for preppers. My husband and I have done a little prepping back in the days before Y2k, in fact, I still have a few buckets of wheat in the basement that I still use now and then. It's a good thing for us that Y2k didn't amount to anything, as we were nowhere near ready. We were in better shape then in some ways though, our chicken house is now a storage shed, and we haven't had a garden for several years. On the bright side, I still have my electric grain mill and my dusty Country Living Grain Mill, my Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living, and the stuff to make our water pump solarized. My job now is to draw my husband back into the preparation mindset. He's never totally left, but he'd rather ride his bicycle than deal with a garden or animals. We have friends who want to get together and plan how to help eachother prep for whatever's down the road; I'm trying to talk dh into joining that little group. Prepping today is more complicated than it was 12 years ago when all the kids were home. We have a large family, ten kids. Three are married or cohabitating, and we have 2.2 grandchildren and an elderly mom inlaw to plan for. I counted 20 people this morning, not counting one son's gf who lives with her parents. One dd and son inlaw live about 100 miles away, some events would make it tough for them to get to us. How do you know how many to prep for?!? And how do you prep for so many you don't feed on a regular/daily basis? Anyway, I'm enjoying settling in and look forward to getting to know you!

:welcome4: Sorry for being so tardy in greeting you! I'm not sure we can ever really "prep" for the people who will end up coming to us...and what we'll do (or have to do) if they do come empty handed. The Bible was pretty specific on what happened between the parable of the foolish virgins. We're empty nesters (except our lab/aussie...Abby) and have 2 grown children and 2 young adult grandchildren. Also have both of my elderly parents. My husband was an only child and both of his parents have left for the kingdom of God. My daughter assures us that she and her family (and in-laws) are well prepared. My son is another story. Divorced, not in good health and out of a job at this time. Either way, maybe I'm being cold, but I think we prepare for our current household, and try to make sure we have "buckets of mercy" to give away so they won't starve. I'm amazed at some of the "preppers" that expect to continue to eat in their current live style. In my humble opinion, if they're not willing to cut back on their diets, they're the ones we need to fear, not the ones who are truly hungry and will take a bucket of food with much thanksgiving!

Hi Everyone,

I came across this forum when I was searching for something on Google (don't remember what now). I've done a lot of browsing on the forum, but it'll take quite a while to read everything! I won't write a lot here tonight because I'm so tired, but you can look at my profile for more information about me. If you have any questions, just ask. I can't wait to get to know you all! I'm so excited to have a group I think I'll be comfortable with.

What a lovely name you chose for your name here. Welcome! My ex hubby was from GA. I spent time there years back and when our son wanted to finish high school there. Kennesaw and then Conyers area. I went back for 6 mos to see him settled in before I went back out west at the time. Now I am in upstate NY where my dad was raised. Been here over 8 yrs now in the Adirondacks.

I hope you enjoy the site. It has quite the variety and great folks here. Very glad you found us!

Hi Walelu :wave:

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!

Glad you found us. You're right, there is a lot to read here but there are a lot of great people who will try to answer any questions you may have. Don't be afraid to ask because we have all wondered about the same things from time to time.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I came here because I was looking for a forum where I could be complex, quirky, sarcastic, strong and weak - as most women I know are - on the topic of survival. I have visited several other survival/preparedness forums but am weary of being pigeonholed due to the fact that I am female.

There are a lot of areas in my life where I am fairly traditional. I am a stay-at-home mom, homeschooling my only child. We live in a rural area and while we are not off the grid, we can see the end of it from here! We don't have a furnace, we heat entirely with a woodstove. We don't have air conditioning. We live in a dumpy old farmhouse and my mother lives next door in a nice small house on a combined property (which we manage) of about 120 acres. I garden, can, sew, knit, crochet, know how to raise fiber animals and shear/process the fiber/spin/felt/weave it. I can hunt and know how to butcher animals.

Because we live at the tail end of a very long power line, we often lose power. So I have plenty of experience with living without electricity. Due to the fact that the roads out here aren't the best either, we live what many refer to a preparedness lifestyle because we have to. We can't always get to town just when we would like to do so. I am also certifed as a NOAA SkyWarn weather spotter, a Red Cross disaster shelter worker, and am on a disaster response chainsaw team.

Other areas of my life are not as traditional. I used to be a biologist. I speak 5 languages. I've done a fair amount of international travel.

Probably the most noteworthy area of my life these days is that for some reason, I feel that God is providing my daughter and I the opportunity to become skilled warriors. I know how strange that sounds. But we have been blessed to be able to train in an amazing form of martial arts that is a combination of several traditional ones (karate, judo, juijitsu, kenpo, etc.) and a number of street fighting and combat techniques. I was able to get certified by my instructor for free to teach women's self defense. There are at least 3 law enforcement officers in the same class with us. Also, we have had the opportunity for my daughter to shoot competitively in pistol, rifle, shotgun, and archery. And to top it all off, we have had various opportunities to study, make, and train with primitive weapons such as atlatls, rabbit sticks, bolos, and blowguns.

So I guess I am not exactly the typical rural mom. I'm looking for a forum of people who understand how I can calmly practice 3 new lethal neck snaps on Tuesday night, go to knitting class at church on Wednesday afternoon, and cuddle new baby lambs in a less than pristine barn stall at midnight.