MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you dehydrating today? Part 2

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question: I'm waiting(not very patiently,I must admit) for my new dehydrator to arrive, and it was all I could do to afford this machine. Do I HAVE to have o2 absorbers or a vacuum sealer to protect my food right away? Can I start building up 'stock' and get some o2 absorbers soon(next check, maybe)? I'd have to save longer for the vacuum sealer, since even on Craigslist, they're running about $40-45. Haven't had a chance to scope out the local Goodwill stores for a while. I have a few jars and lots of ziplock freezer bags, and straws are still cheap..

You can wait and save up for those items. If you aren't familiar with vacuum sealers I would recommend you purchase a new one, rather than take a chance on getting an out-dated one that may have problems. O2 absorbers aren't needed if you use a vacuum sealer, unless you need to store larger quantities in mylar bags.

You can wait and save up for those items. If you aren't familiar with vacuum sealers I would recommend you purchase a new one, rather than take a chance on getting an out-dated one that may have problems. O2 absorbers aren't needed if you use a vacuum sealer, unless you need to store larger quantities in mylar bags.

Don't worry, I know to pass on the ones with pictures of OLD boxes.. :wink (2):

I was confused about o2 packets in jars because I'd seen some youtube videos where it was mentioned. I couldn't understand why that would be beneficial if we're supposed to hurry up and get those puppies sealed up fast in those mylar bags. Wouldn't it defeat the purpose if they're in a jar one would likely be opening and closing often? Glad to know I don't need them just yet.

Has it been more than an hour since I checked my package tracking?!?

Vicki - I have a manual Pump n Seal that I use to vacumm seal my jars. In fact, I don't even bother buying the premade air tabs anymore, I make my own from electrical tape. I've also found that I can get a good seal on recycled spaghetti jars and these are what I use to store my dehydrated vegies & herbs. I think I paid around $30 with extra tabs, but it's been several years. In fact, I just opened a jar of dried beans from '07 that where still perfectly sealed.

Grapes. They are some variety of red seedless and they were free! (I just had to pick them) I dried a few a couple of days ago and they are a bit more tangy than store bought but I think they'll be great in muffins and bread! So, my dehydrator will be full of grapes for the next week.

QUOTE (Prickle @ Jul 30 2009, 02:13 PM) Another question:

Does it make any difference if you leave the empty trays on or take them off the dehydrator while it's running?

I dry my onions until "crisp". As for the trays, mine requires a minimum numbers of trays to operate properly. The trays don't have to have anything on them, but they need to be there for the fan element to work correctly. Do you have the manual? (I have the one that Wal-Mart sells - American Harvester, maybe?)

I dry until crisp...they "plink" when you drop them on the tray or counter. I also use at least 4 trays...empty or not. I have the American Harvester and Open Country Garden Master. Enjoy them both, think they do a great job. I don't do blueberries because they are "hard" surfaced.

So I have a stupid question. How do you vaccum seal a jar?

Not a stupid question at all! I've found 3 ways. First, I can use the hose attachment on my food saver and the "lids" you can purchase separately. Second, I can use my cannisters (bought separately) and sit my jar inside the cannister with the hose attachment. Third, (and not as efficient?) is to use a tiny awl, punch a tiny hole in the lid of the jar. Place a tiny piece of electrical tape over the hole. Then using a hand pump (available from WM) draw out the air, and the lid should seal. The press the tape down very firmly. Check your lids (always) after a day or so to make sure they are still sealed. Just a precautionary thing for me.

Vicki - I have a manual Pump n Seal that I use to vacumm seal my jars. In fact, I don't even bother buying the premade air tabs anymore, I make my own from electrical tape. I've also found that I can get a good seal on recycled spaghetti jars and these are what I use to store my dehydrated vegies & herbs. I think I paid around $30 with extra tabs, but it's been several years. In fact, I just opened a jar of dried beans from '07 that where still perfectly sealed.

I've just sent my younger boys on a goose hunt; we have a Pump n Seal I've never used. IF we can find it, the 6 million dollar question is, does it still contain all the parts it needs(not counting electrical tape) to function? Still, far cheaper to purchase than a food saver and bags. I've been saving jars for awhile. (Not easy, when the people on dish crew would just as soon toss them).

I've got five trays loaded with bell peppers. The book said 5-12 hours, and I set it on 135. They're still pliable, so I guess I'll try to wake up before the alarm goes off at 5:30. Hubby was grinching about the wattage use, so I told him the only way around that was to build a solar dryer...he seemed interested in that. Tomorrow I have three 2 lb bags of baby carrots to do. They were marked down to $1 per bag..

From frozen - 4 trays of crinkle cut carrots (love those :) ), one tray of green beans, two of peas, two of corn.

Today the carrots still aren't done, I think these I got at Target are thicker than the ones I bought at Wal-mart.

From fresh: oranges and pears.

I've been nibbling on the pears, so they may end up just being snacks as opposed to stored :hidingsmile:

Lumabean, I buy the crinkle cut carrots too. I popped a dried one in my mouth and left it there for awhile. It was tasting good. The ridges came back just like they were before I dried them.

Hard to believe those little dried orange rocks will turn back to plump ridgy carrots. :eclipsee_Victoria:

I love those ridges on the carrots :)

Today I am doing apples, I've got about 6 trays of slices, and 2 and a half of peels. I saw on dehydrate2store that the woman said she dries the peels for teas -- I am drying mine, I am hoping for snacking? Would they be good for that, I am wondering about whether they'd be good snacks or if they'd just be suitable for teas or something like that. Hmmm...

Luma - someone on here said that they sprinkled the peels with cinnamon and then dehydrates them. Sorry, I can't remember who said that!

Finished my 3rd dehydrator full of sprouted wheat this morning. Now to drag out the grinder and get the flour ground and frozen for future use. I may just make a loaf of sprouted wheat & flax this afternoon.

4 trays of onions and two of celery finished drying this morning. Those onions sure spread quite the aroma throughout the apartment -- sort of a french onion soup scented candle :girlneener:

I am going to remember the cinnamon idea for the next time I do the apple peels :)

Edited by lumabean

croutons - I liberated all the odds and ends pieces of dead and dying bread out of the freezer to make room for a casserole. Perfect timing, we ran out of croutons last night. I normally do them in the oven but my oven has been busy with bread, cupcakes, and casseroles today. My house smells good!

I put some more frozen vegetables in last night -- more carrots, peas, corn, and broccoli

My husband is off today, so I am going to see if there are any places that have apples inexpensive today -- I thought our local orchard would have good prices, but they seem pretty steep this season so I am holding off.

• 3 months later...

I've got 6 pounds of mixed veggies in the dehydrator.

I was going to just use a handful of my dried carrots, corn, peas and green beans but I don't want to use them up. And, I still don't have any dried green beans so I'd have to dehydrate anyway. I'm gonna use them for the meals in a jar recipes, IF Honeyville ever get some dried chicken in stock.

I understand Jeepers about Honeyville...I couldn't get any of the meats that I wanted. Guess I'll just have to wait. Also, I'm going to order at least one of the "starter packs" from the LDS Store and see if they're any good. If they're good enough, I think the smaller size cans will work for us and I won't have to vacume seal the rest (after I open a #10 can) in jars like I do the eggs etc. Just finished off the rest of our chicken/mixed veggie casserole tonight with cake/ice cream for dessert. Shame on us for not stopping after the din-din! But that pecan nut ice cream just reached out and grabbed me, especially when I knew we had two more pieces of my fruit coctail cake...(smile)

PS...didn't dehydrate anything, but I did vacume seal a couple of boxes of crackers and put them on my shelves.

Edited by Philbe

The last time they had the 'coupon' I got the hamburger and sausage. Seems like there was another one but I can't remember. Anyway, they didn't have the chicken then either. I'm waiting until I get everything before I start mixing stuff up because when I open the cans I want to try to use all of the ingredients at once so the opened cans don't sit around.

Yeppers Jeepers...I just put them in one (or two or three?) of my dehydrators...and forget it until the next morning when I check for the "plink". Then let them cool a bit, into a jar they go, vacume seal the lids and into the pantry shelf they go! Even though I have a canner (it's an older one so will need a gasket I'm sure) I just can't justify in my own mind (other than no additives?) to spend the hours etc. it takes to can. We've been able (PTL) to fill up about 24 can organizers with canned goods of just about every kind and then some smaller portions of other types...chicken, tuna, roast beef n'gravy, corned beef, hash, hams, and sausage crumbles from Honeyville etc. Will order some hamburger and chicken when they get supplies in again. Did notice that my carrots and celery jars are down to one, so I'll have to go get some to dehydrate. Found some bell pepper bags at $Tree so picked up several bags. I use some nearly every morning in our scrambled eggs so no use dehydrating them until I can buy a huge amount. Gardening season isn't too far ahead of us and we're planning to put in four more squares, plus a mulch row or two. Heard rumors that city councils (not just here) are trying to run the "farmers market" people out of town because they don't pay taxes etc. So expanding our own gardening system will be to our advantage.