MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you dehydrating today? Part 2

I did 6 packages of 2 pounds each of frozen veggie mix. Corn, peas, carrots and green beans.

The 12 pounds of frozen mix, when dehydrated, ended up filling 1 half gallon canning jar full to the top and about 3/4 of a pint jar. Plus what I spilled.

So, close to 5 pints of dried veggies from 12 pounds frozen. CGA, check my math! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't done any fruit yet. I want to try some lemons to put in water to flavor it up this summer. So little time...so few drying trays.

I just put 6 pounds of lima beans in the dehydrator. The store brand was on sale at $1.00 a 1 pound package. I may get a few more packs depending on how many the dried beans make.

A couple of lessons learned though. If I do any more I'll let them thaw just a little before I put them on the trays. They roll around on wax paper almost as bad as the peas did. Also, while trying to spread them out, they stuck to my hand a lot and to the hand I had covering the hole where the blower thing goes through. I think if they weren't quite so frozen the heat of my hand wouldn't have caused them to stick as bad. Might have helped with the rolling issue too. I didn't notice my other veggies doing that.

Dehydrating Oranges and Meyer Lemons taken from my neighbors' trees -- Orange tree from my neighbor to the right and the Lemon Tree with my neighbor from the left side. Both of them purposely leave branches growing on to their neighbor's side so we can enjoy some of the bounty. First the peel (zest) is removed and then the fruit sliced. All goes into the dehydrator that I don't use immediately as fresh.

• 2 months later...

My dehydrators have been going nonstop with oregano, raspberry leaves, strawberry leaves, and lemon balm. I'm about to start on celery leaves and parsley as soon as it gets a bit taller.

I love store specials when their produce is reaching the Sell By dates. I got 4 packages of Baby Portabello mushrooms at $0.50 each which went immediately into the dehydrator. Also had frozen hashbrowns at 50% off which almost caused a audible giggle of happiness when I saw them. I love my dehydrated hashbrowns. I also picked up multiple loaves of sandwich bread at $0.59/ea for making croutons.

Found our "pepper/onion" bags at $Tree again, so stocked up BIG time, and they're in the deep freeze for the time being, but will be on the dehydrator starting tomorrow or Tuesday!

Thanks for the note since I saw the same thing today at my 99 Cent store and wouldn't have noticed it without your comment still in my head. Got a couple bags to try in the dehydrator. Smell is awsome.

For me it was a clear bag labeled "Fajita Mix Peppers & Onion (10 oz)". First time I've ever seen it. Company was Taylor Farms Pacific, Tracy, CA 95376. It's probably a local thing. Nothing more than thinly sliced colored bell pepper and onion.

Here, it's a whitish bag labeled "pepper-onion stir fry mix". Just a mixture of sliced bell peppers & onions. So great for dehydrating (use one bag per tray) as well as in our breakfast omelets, my chili, my meat loafs, soooo many ways to use it, and use it cheaply!

Here, it's a whitish bag labeled "pepper-onion stir fry mix". Just a mixture of sliced bell peppers & onions. So great for dehydrating (use one bag per tray) as well as in our breakfast omelets, my chili, my meat loafs, soooo many ways to use it, and use it cheaply!

Here's a pic...

I had no intention of dehydrating anything today until I saw this thread... Looks like I'll be doing onions in the dehydrator. I have a few extra that I don'[t want to go bad and I already have some frozen in the freezer.

It might be worth it to try to order in bulk like that in the winter. But I wouldn't want to risk a frozen item shipped to me in the summer. Especially if it sat in a wearhouse or my front porch for any lenght of time. UPS and Fed-Ex usually don't knock or ring when they deliver to me so a lot of times I don't even realize I have a delivery until the next day. :rolleyes:

Boiled, peeled and sliced about 5# of sweet potatoes and got six trays in my small dehydrator. Still have another 2# that I've saved to just slice & vacume seal for the freezer (when they're completely cool). We were "given" two cases of salad mix bags so I've stuffed my frig! Had some leftover from a bag and got the chance to try out my new vacume cannister set (one of two that we bought at Menards) for about $10 and I LOVE IT! I vacume sealed the left over salad mix and stuck it in the frig. Opened it today to put salad mix on MM's Ham & Cheese sandwich & then re-sealed it & back into the frig. Looking forward to see just how long it will keep.

For me it was a clear bag labeled "Fajita Mix Peppers & Onion (10 oz)". First time I've ever seen it. Company was Taylor Farms Pacific, Tracy, CA 95376. It's probably a local thing. Nothing more than thinly sliced colored bell pepper and onion.

I tried to find it at our dollar store. This company is only about 40 mins from me. Unfortunately, the only brand of frozen vegies our store carries are from China. :( But it's cool. One of the few upsides to living in CA is cheap and plentiful fresh produce.