MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you dehydrating today? Part 2

Dehydrated 5 lbs. of deer jerky. Used the sun for the thinner pieces and sparked the smoker with mesquite wood for the thicker links. The smoker/BBQ was 125 degrees before I started the fire for the smoke and got up to 250 degrees when the coals formed. About 1/2 way through, 2 1/2 hours, I added the sun pieces for the smoke flavor. They were already quite dry and heading for too crispy. DH was quite impressed.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All the sweet potatoes came out beautifully, and so sweet we can eat them without reconstituting them if we wanted! LOL But, they're all in two quart jars, vacume sealed and resting on a pantry shelf!

Hello Everyone,

We just got back from vacation to Saint Augustine Florida and sitting on my front porch to greet us was my new LEM 10 tray dehydrator. So I immediately put 6 large (1lb 12oz) cans of crushed tomatoes in. You may be wondering why I am drying canned tomatoes so let me explain.

First these are a brand I can't normally get in Alabama and I bought all the crushed tomatoes they had and second I need the space. I don't have a lot of space for food storage and this sure cuts down on the area they are taking up right now. I have a number 10 can of pizza sauce to dry also. Already did one and then divided it up into sizes we can use.

I'm doing similar, but with cans of Mixed Vegetables that have been on my prep shelves for too many years and kind of ignored during my normal rotation consumption. Still good but decided to make space for better/newer items so I'm dehydrating the contents which will make nice additions to future soups.

Hello Everyone,

We just got back from vacation to Saint Augustine Florida and sitting on my front porch to greet us was my new LEM 10 tray dehydrator. So I immediately put 6 large (1lb 12oz) cans of crushed tomatoes in. You may be wondering why I am drying canned tomatoes so let me explain.

First these are a brand I can't normally get in Alabama and I bought all the crushed tomatoes they had and second I need the space. I don't have a lot of space for food storage and this sure cuts down on the area they are taking up right now. I have a number 10 can of pizza sauce to dry also. Already did one and then divided it up into sizes we can use.

Hello! Like so many, space is a premium for us at this time so dehydrating & consolidating foods into a smaller "footprint" was a strategic decision for me. I get so much more food in one jar and on one shelf it's rewarding for me.

Just a reminder for us preppers, having dehydrated food has its advantages but it may not be an advantage in an emergency situation where water (or the ability to boil it) is not available or in limited supply.

Just a reminder for us preppers, having dehydrated food has its advantages but it may not be an advantage in an emergency situation where water (or the ability to boil it) is not available or in limited supply.

That's exactly why we must all have plenty of water stored and ways to make sure it's food safe (ie: Berkey filters etc.). Dark blue 55 gallon rain collection barrels and small rocket stoves to boil it with, will save alot of people's lives...IMHO. That's also why I have a pantry full of commercially canned foods that need no cooking and the vegetables have their own moisture in the can.

Edited by Philbe

Hi Lindals :hi:

I do the same thing with frozen veggies. I buy them and put them in the dehydrator right from the store. Canned food has a lot shorter life span than dried food that's for sure! That reminds me...I need to back to dehydrating again soon.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Happy Mothers Day to all moms.

I have two 55 gal drums for catching rain water and LP gas stove and heaters in the house that require no electricity. We have a 500 gal LP tank and of course we set water aside. We also have a well on our property.

At our age and with the disabled family member, I can't see us hitting the road and heading to any other place so this is the best I can do. Prepare and do my best and let God do the rest.

I have tested and found that when you dry canned veggies you don't have to boil them to bring them back. Just add boiling water, cover and let sit. This is true with cooked rice and pasta. So that is a bit of fuel savings.

Here in Alabama we have many, what we call "bent and dent" stores. They buy pallets of items and sell at great discounts. No they are not all bent or dented. I just bought all those large cans of crushed tomatoes for 75 cents a can. Two #10 cans of pizza sauce for $3.00 a can, veggies for 3/$1.00 ect. Pasta of every kind for .50 a box etc.

So I watch the dates and condition of can and buy a great deal from these stores. I come home with boxes of cans and they hit the dehydrator as fast as I can to clear out some space.

Well I have to get a load out of the dehydrator before we head out for the day. I hope you all have a special day today with your families.

• 1 month later...

I've been in love with my dehydrators for some time! LOL I try to avoid using them when it's this hot, so I use my microwave (defrost setting) to dry my herbs. I'll get to the big stuff when they start becoming ripe for harvest.

• 2 weeks later...

I dehydrated a batch of raspberries the other day and... wow. Those buggers are TART!! A couple of my kiddos liked them, but most of us were kinda "eh" about them. Any suggestions? or do they just turn out like this? My hubby thinks they'll be good on cereal, at least. lol.

• 1 month later...

As much as I have put it off (due to weather) this evening we picked alot of basil, lemon & regular thyme, chives, and two varieties of parsley that are hiding in baggies in my frig for me to get them on the trays. Also brought in the Vita-Mix to work up some chunky tomato sauce from my 3 gallons of cherry tomatoes...and then into the pressure canner. Lots of heat going on :-(

I want to try my hand at dehydrating some cantaloupe this year. Is there any advantage to using Fruit Fresh type stuff to keep it from getting darker? Or is it going to get dark anyway? No use adding an extra step if it isn't going to make much difference anyway.

I want to try my hand at dehydrating some cantaloupe this year. Is there any advantage to using Fruit Fresh type stuff to keep it from getting darker? Or is it going to get dark anyway? No use adding an extra step if it isn't going to make much difference anyway.

Personally, I always squirt a little lemon juice into my soaking/cleaning water when I'm doing any dehydrating.

Got 4 trays of peaches on dehydrator now. Did about 6 trays of canteloupe a few days ago...yum, yum! So sweet. I did watermelon last year. BE SURE to put a leather tray under your first mesh, and use mesh liners on all the other trays, and then wipe all your mesh with a dab of grape seed oil (no taste) so the fruit doesn't stick. You'll be glad you did! LOL

Personally, I always squirt a little lemon juice into my soaking/cleaning water when I'm doing any dehydrating.

Thanks Philbe but the cantaloupe didn't make it to the dehydrator. I ate it. :Blushing:

Thanks Philbe but the cantaloupe didn't make it to the dehydrator. I ate it. :Blushing:

That's why I bought TWO cases! I love the stuff (Mtn.Man won't touch it unless it's dehydrated) so I knew I'd have my fill and still have plenty to dry! LOL

I got 10 # of organic carrots today. Going to dry most for my trip, though we are going to eat some cooked. Neither of us chews them well enough to eat raw anyhow.

I was at the salvage food store and the owner asked if I wanted 10 cans of green beans for $10? #10 cans! So I'm going to dry some of that for my trek. The rest will go into meals for daughter.

Bought some diced, frozen okra and frozen sweet corn to dry for my trek too and I want to dry some sweet potatoes.