MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you dehydrating today? Part 2

Nope! All you have to do is peel, core, and cut the pineapple into pieces. I cut mine into slightly thinner pieces than you get in the canned "chunks", but about the same general dimensions. Maybe as if you cut a chunk in half.

No extras, like blanching or dipping. No spraying trays, etc. When they're done, they peel off easily, if they stick. I kind of stir them around a bit with my fingers when I occasionally turn the trays.

You could try it first by using a can of natural-juice pineapple, drained.

It turns out really tasty and makes a nice healthy snack when you have a sweet tooth. ;)

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Cat. I checked them and figured they had another hour. I went upstairs, where I can't hear the dehydrator hummmm, and forgot all about them. Three hours later it was too late. I need 1/2 gallon more then I never want to see another carrot for a long long time.

Today is several trays of sliced small Shallots that I got on special.

I learned quickly that one needs to blanch them in boiling water for 1 minute before attempting to peel. This process loosens the skin. Probably not needed for just one or two, but for a bunch of them it is a time saver.

:sad-smiley-012: Onions. There was another sale: 3lb. bag of yellow cooking onions for 99 cents. I bought a couple bags. I just can't pass those up!

I save the ends and (clean-looking) peels in a freezer bag for when I make chicken stock.

WOW! What a out of the ordinary thing to do!

(man I have been waiting for a time to do that! LOL)

Most would just chuck them out - so good to remind us all THERE is still a lot left after you peel some vegetables!

Just read a book and they took the tomato skins left over from canning and dryed them, crushed into powder and used that on develed eggs instead of paprika! also adds it to salads and soups.Never waste what you can use! :thumbs:

:AmishMichael2:

Dehydrating another batch of onions.

:sad-smiley-012: Onions. There was another sale: 3lb. bag of yellow cooking onions for 99 cents. I bought a couple bags. I just can't pass those up!

I save the ends and (clean-looking) peels in a freezer bag for when I make chicken stock.

WOW! What a out of the ordinary thing to do!

(man I have been waiting for a time to do that! LOL)

Most would just chuck them out - so good to remind us all THERE is still a lot left after you peel some vegetables!

Just read a book and they took the tomato skins left over from canning and dryed them, crushed into powder and used that on develed eggs instead of paprika! also adds it to salads and soups.Never waste what you can use! :thumbs:

:) I started making chicken stock yesterday. Even DH says it looks like stuff that should be garbage. In it I have: a whole chicken carcass (made a roasted chicken for dinner the day before), chicken skin, those ends of onions and onion skin peels (they give it a very nice color), carrots from the garden that were too short/deformed to peel safely, and old celery stalks and leaves (when celery gets "old", I put throw that in a bag in the freezer, too, for stock). I also put in parsley.

The stock doesn't look appetizing, but the house smells so good!! After I'm done and the pan has cooled, I put it in the fridge overnight and scape off the fat in the morning. I scoop out the big stuff (like bones) and put everything else through a strainer. After it's strained, it looks pretty good. :feedme:

• 2 weeks later...

:) I started making chicken stock yesterday. Even DH says it looks like stuff that should be garbage. In it I have: a whole chicken carcass (made a roasted chicken for dinner the day before), chicken skin, those ends of onions and onion skin peels (they give it a very nice color), carrots from the garden that were too short/deformed to peel safely, and old celery stalks and leaves (when celery gets "old", I put throw that in a bag in the freezer, too, for stock). I also put in parsley.

The stock doesn't look appetizing, but the house smells so good!! After I'm done and the pan has cooled, I put it in the fridge overnight and scape off the fat in the morning. I scoop out the big stuff (like bones) and put everything else through a strainer. After it's strained, it looks pretty good. :feedme:

Wish I'd read this before I made stock this morning. I just threw out some "old" celery. :sEm_blush:

I did throw the extra cranberries, pineapple rings and grapes in the dehydrator. Might have some celery later to dehydrate as well.

Last summer, Dd and I saved all our tomatoe skins when we canned tomatoes and dried them. It does make a good flavored powder. We added it to some Tofu cream cheese and it was really good. We also did that with too-large cucumbers and made powder. Makes a yummy sandwich. I want to try other veggie powders too.

Last summer, Dd and I saved all our tomatoe skins when we canned tomatoes and dried them. It does make a good flavored powder. We added it to some Tofu cream cheese and it was really good. We also did that with too-large cucumbers and made powder. Makes a yummy sandwich. I want to try other veggie powders too.

to late for this year but next year I plan to try some of your ideas- Like the cucumber power idea!

I've taken a few days off because of the Thanksgiving hoopla. Later this week I plan to get back to the dreaded carrots. I have just over 1 gallon. At 1 1/2 gallons I'm done. Then it's on to corn. It will be easier because I already have almost a gallon.

I may have to just go out and pull some carrets so I can be like you guys.

Would be great to have on hand to add to soups/ stews we make in the crockpot all winter long.

Do you rehydrate them first or just put in pot with everything else?

Doing apple today as we just got more from an Amish Friend and too many to eat fresh, or make applesauce with.

• 3 weeks later...

I have another stupid question. I bought a #10 can of pineapple chunks. I drained them and put in dehydrater. They have been going for 36 hours. They still feel leathery to the touch so I guess what I am asking is should they be dry all the way as in crispy or are these ok? Do I need to let them go longer?

Next time I think I will just go with the rings.

Thanks for the help.

They should be pliable and leathery. You "condition" fruits. Place in a glass jar or a clear plastic container or bag. Let sit, and you shake the fruit daily. If you see any moisture or condensation on the jar, then put back on the dryer. Do this for a week to check for dryness.

Sewandsew, no such thing as a stupid question around here! I was wondering too and waiting for someone else to answer. I always have it in my head that things should be bone dry even though I know fruits like raisons, prunes etc. are sticky-ish when dried.

Thanks Violet!