What are you dehydrating today? Part 2

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

We're cleaning out the refrigerator today and we'll start dehydrating all the veggies in there that need to be used this week. I know there are potatoes, carrots, onions and a cabbage or two. Hopefully we'll get that finished up by the end of this next weekend. Going to be purchasing more onions, potatoes and carrots on my shopping trip which I'll dry what I don't need for the week's recipes. Also noticed in the store ads that peaches, limes, cabbage, plums, and mangos are on sale, so I'll probably buy a few to dehydrate next week, along with a bunch of banana chips (which my kids will eat like candy if I'd let them.). They went through a gallon sized jar of them in one day a while back...they were suppose to last a lot longer than that.

I also noticed that chicken leg quarters are on sale this week for $0.49 per pound and I'm thinking about buying 10-20 pounds and cooking them and then dehydrating them for later use. Never really have dried meat, except for jerky, so this is a first. But the "nPreserve it Naturally" book from Excalibur says to :

Steam or simmer the poultry til tender. Allow to cool; then remove any skin or fat. Cut meat into 1/4" to 1/2" squares and spread in a thin layer over the dehydrator trays. Dry for 4 hours at 155 Degrees F./69 degrees C and then 130 degrees F or 54 degrees C until the cubes are hard and dehydrated throughout. To use dried poultry cubes, pour 1 cup boiling water over 1 cup cubes in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until tender (45-50 minutes).

has anyone ever dehydrated chicken like this? how did they turn out?

along with a bunch of banana chips (which my kids will eat like candy if I'd let them.). They went through a gallon sized jar of them in one day a while back...they were suppose to last a lot longer than that.

DH does the same thing. He even figured out the number of canning jars of banana chips we end up with based on how many dehydrator trays full we have. :tapfoot: I switched from storing them in canning jars (I'd try to put a jar or 2 back for later) to putting them in a big, gallon sized baggie to confuse him a little.

Today, we're dehydrating :sad-smiley-012: onions. The dehydrator is out on the porch for a few hours. That finishes the ones from our garden.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm 'dehydrating' my used packets of Silica Gel. Anybody tried this before?

I toss all my used packets into a jar until I'm ready to dry them out again in the oven and I always worry about the temperature and melting the packets so I have to watch them closely (a pain). I'm getting ready to run some produce through my dehydrator and realized it creates a less problematic temperature, so why not toss the silica gel packets on to one of the trays since I'm running the dehydrator anyway.

"I'm back in the saddle again." Doing my best Gene Autry impersonation and not the Aerosmith version. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I got 10 packages of crinkle cut carrots for 10.00 today. So my dehydrator is back to humming away. It was just too hot to fire it up this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Taco chips!! Celery and/or carrots if I can get time between homeschool, dishes, clothes and cleaning. Change in the gameplan. Had stew leftover from lunch so that's on 2 trays. The kids didn't think the apple chips were crisp enough so back in they went on 1 tray, the taco chips are on 2 so that left one for a can of mixed veggies for showing the Girl Scouts how to thermos cook in a 4C ziploc container with a screw top with a bubble wrap insulation sleeve to keep it warm.

Edited by windmorn

5 trays:

from the bottom up-

5 Bagel chips from last bagels we didn't eat

4 more bagel slices - make great snacks

3 bread crumbs for Stuffing

2 More bread crums from ends of home-made bread

1 Radish slices (love these for snacking)

I put them on top so the flavor doesn't mix with the bread!

and when they are done MORE herbs going in- parsley and tea mint

:AmishMichael2:

I picked up some fresh pineapples at the store for a decent price. I saw they were down further today, but I didn't have the first ones done yet.

Anyway, I have 4 trays of fresh pineapple pieces dehydrating. If I can hide them this time, they might last longer than two days! :blink: