MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

'sniff' my husband made me quit buying canners after three....even though they were at St Veincent dePaul for only $20, he kept saying 'you don't NEED another one, leave it for someone else.... (I'd have let someone borrow it!)

Edited by kappydell
  • 2 weeks later...

My (ex-) husband once brought me a nice big canner he'd scavenged. When I went to use it, I never could find it. He kept saying he knew exactly where it was, but kept changing the subject when I asked him to bring it to me. Recently, someone mentioned the nice big canner he gave her. Um hm. That's where it went.

Similarly, some of my jars have been used to dry-store beans etc., but most simply disappeared.

Now I'm getting a new canner and jars and all. I have found a source of pricey chicken that is tough enough to raise questions for my sons when simply baked or rotisseried. I bet it would can up perfectly.

When I was a kid, I hated canning. Why am I so excited about it now?

• 2 months later...

Just finished hearing the familiar "pops" on eight, 8oz jars of apple sauce that I waterbathed. Had a bag of granny apples given to me that needed to be eaten real quick, or ... canned up! LOL Had enough left to just put in a jar to go along with our supper this evening.

• 3 weeks later...

When I asked Elizabeth Andress from Univ. of Georgia about canning liver, she said it was not safe to can. Something about the density of it. I wish I could remember what she said about it !

I taught a class yesterday at the Food Bank and the gals canned 29 quarts of applesauce. Only one had not sealed when I left yesterday.

6 pints of seasoned ground beef. I keep finding ground beef marked down, and my freezer is stuffed. So, I'm spending this lovely 90 degree evening canning. (I need to stay out of the store for a while)

Philbe - I agree with Nerd and Jeepers. Meat is even easier to can than jam. If you have a pressure canner and the latest Ball Blue Book, give it a try. You CAN can!

Yes, I bought a brand new pressure canner about 3 weeks ago. I bought an older used one last year, but probably need to buy a new gasket for it. Anyway...being absolutely ignorant at canning, I felt perhaps a new canner would be safer for Philbe! In my mind it just register that it would be easier to can meats that veggies etc.

• 3 weeks later...

New experience today! I go to the swap where a truck comes in with mostly frozen goods.

Today he had a bushel of Granny Smith apples that had been put in the freezer by mistake.

I got them for $4 and am working them .

I wash them and put the whole frozen apples in the kettle 1/5 bushel at a time. The last ones are on now.

I will be making applesauce and butter out of them. Have a crockpot of butter going now the sauce and more butter will be processed tomorrow.

I also got gizzards which I will can on Thursday .

He did not have liver this time. I cook the liver ("deep fry") in boiling water then put it in the jars and process.
It is so good to take out of the jar, season with flour ,salt and pepper and fry per normal. I mainly can it for the dog and cat

but it is ready as a quick meal.

Yes, I bought a brand new pressure canner about 3 weeks ago. I bought an older used one last year, but probably need to buy a new gasket for it. Anyway...being absolutely ignorant at canning, I felt perhaps a new canner would be safer for Philbe! In my mind it just register that it would be easier to can meats that veggies etc.

Just noticed...I got it sorta bass ackward...thinking it's easier to can veggies than meat! LOL

Good morning everyone,

I am so excited. Yesterday I hit up Costco and Sams and when I got home I found my new Pressure Canner on the front porch. So last night I washed up all my jars and plan on canning ground beef and chicken today.

I got the canner mainly for meats as I am low on protein in my reserve and I am not a lover of store bought canned meat. (except Spam, we do like Spam) I have never done ground beef, so today will be my first.

Ok I am off to work in the kitchen today, you all have a blessed day.

Philbe, I think about everyone feels that way at first. I did until I actually canned meat. I suppose it's because when I think of meat I think of how fast it spoils and how careful you have to be with it while it is still fresh. It took me quite awhile to get past the thought of canning meat too.

Lindals, :canning::woohoo::canning:

That is so exciting! When I do ground beef, after it's cooked, I always dump it in a colandar and rinse it off under the fawcet with hot water. It helps wash just about all of the grease away. I really like to can!

Lindals, if it is a dial gauge you must get it tested before use. It may not be accurate even new out of the box. If you use it and it is off your food may be underprocessed. Meaning you would have to toss the food and jars without opening them to insure you did not get botulism.

Please, get it tested if it is a dial gauge. Your local county extension office is where to call and ask if they do the testing.

Well I got my first batch done. 5 pints of ground beef and 2 of chicken strips.

Violet: my husband checked out the gauge as he has all the equipment. It says 11 on the gauge at 10 pounds. So all is well as I made the adjustment. :canning:

Jeepers: Yes I cooked the beef and than drained it, very little fat remained.

I now have visions of beef chunks, stew and soup with chunks of veggies. Costco here I come :shopping:

Wanted to post a picture but couldn't figure out how.

Edited by Lindals

Yes I did thanks for helping 12 lbs

I have now made a double batch of red beans and rice (No rice yet will add when I open)

I have the beans and seasoning and meat in the canner now. I got 5 gts going and will process for 90 minutes at (12 lbs)

This is usually an all day process when we want red beans and rice. So it will be great just having to cook the rice and boil the red beans for 10 minutes.

Edited by Lindals