MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

sometimes reality gets in the way of plans.

SueC

Our plans were simple, Friday night drive 5 hours north to large city so we could shop for outfits for DD's wedding in June. Sunday afternoon drive home again and all back at work on Monday.

reality - drove to city in torrential rain. Saturday - great results in the shopping expedition. Sunday drove one hour and felt under the weather so got hubby to drive. another 1.5 hours and I was feeling extremely ill, fever, sweats, nausea, about to faint, and massive pain. Told DH I thought he should find out where he could take me to get medical attention. back 30 mins and spent most of the next 3 hours in ER to be told it was probably kidney stones, here is a strong painkiller, get your self home. Monday went to see my GP, after pressing on my abdomen and waiting for me to crawl off the roof it was a trip to hospital - apparently I had a perforated and gangrenous appendix. Finally got home tonight and the hospital generously gave a Dr's certificate for time off work - from Monday to tomorrow. - oh and that was after they gave me px for a drug I am allergic to. I will go back to the Dr for follow up treatment.

Sheeeeesh! So....you had surgery to remove gangrene and EVERYTHING, right? :o Highly dangerous to have a gut problem like that. WHY was it missed at the first stop? <_<

Glad to hear you are alive and recuperating....if they'd quit making mistakes, that is!

MtRider (((((SueC))))))

resting today - after phoning the hospital and telling them what I thought. It turned out that both drugs they prescribed I was allergic too. Plus they sent a report to my Dr telling how wonderful I was doing. I asked why they would tell my Dr that my diet was doing well when I still have no appetite and have eaten about a 1/2 cup of rice pudding or custard for each meal, why would they tell my DR my bowels were working well, when I had not had any movement and how could they report my mobility was great when I was struggling to get out of bed under my own steam. I was very unimpressed.

thanks for all your thoughts and prayers - hopefully now I have the right drugs things will start to improve.

Sue when you are up to it in a few days after some rest gentle fluids and soft mild foods then call your doctor. Right now make up notes chronologically from start to finish what has happened and note your recovery. Ihave run into so many medical folks in my region that can really make things difficult.I do not know what is wrong with folks today! You have a right to honestly inform your doctor of al you do know. Or even what makes you wonder. Also that the nurses behavior about information that may still be serious to not be glossed over.

If your bowels don't work normally or any abdominal concerns then you make sure to go in and be seen again as needed. I am very sorry the antibiotics were incorrect as that must have added more discomfort and it took much longer to address a definitely vital concern with them.

Sorry I am trying to use my kindle to write this. It took me some weeks before I was able to eat solid foods from pancreatitus that was worse and worse and some not well defined type of ulcer I am still waiting on an endoscopy for now. Its hanging in there might have a hole or some really raw part before stomach and then after it. So I eat smaller amts of food and figured out the nicorrette lozenges inflame it all and need. To not use those any more. And make sure I get lots of tea and water. May even have learner some herbs that grow around here have very good rates of a cure too unlikile medicine. And the dangers here in our hospitals with the bad bacterial stuff spreading. Id rather get the herbs and try those! But just an endoscopy is an invasive procedure and I don't want to risk some antibiotics resistant illness on top of it. Just because their sanitary methods have gotten so faulty. If the herb works I willgive the gi doc my recipe. L o l

Your husband has been with you and he also knows so can happy advocate as well if he does that.

Sthats a lot of misery all of a sudden on top of losing a dear member of your lives---you have my prayersin all this.

So you restcause your body is pretty shookup and you will be better and better as it all knits back together and that infection clears.

[... LOL on Arby's Kindle typos. Doncha hate then the devices try to "help"? ]

Any sign of trouble, Sue, and get to your doc. Keep him updated. Gut infections are serious and you can't wait. Not an issue to be stoic about. [had a DF's grandson with ruptured apendix this summer.]

MtRider (((SueC)))

The risk time was 5 - 7 days post surgery. This is the time the surgeon said he would not be surprised if I came back because of infection. No infection! so happy to be passed that. I am off all painkillers now but still on antibiotics. I saw the GP and he is happy with my progress but was very surprised that it took them 1.5 days to operate considering the condition I was in when I saw him. So now resting lots and will be back to work on Monday.

Thanks for all you prayers, concerns and kind thoughts.. :bighug2:

Boy this topic is sure on the button isn't it!? We planned to take our first camp trip this week end and then the weather decided to turn south Saturday and Sunday. But..."the steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord" ... we figure God saw around the corner so we'll just take a nice hike in the woods tomorrow instead and then work around the homestead sorting things in the machine/garage getting them ready for flea market weather.

ps...went over to the homestead house and Mtn. Man did some modifications in the closets that we wanted (and needed). Raise the bars so our clothes had more room to hang free. The closets are not very tall. While he was doing the 3 closets, I folded towels, washclothes etc., and rolled them to put into the other bathroom closet. Put the dinette down and put the new custions in, so now we have a "couch" to sit on. We've got a nice folding table that we can set in front of our new "couch" and eat on if we're not eating outside. Abby had a wonderful romp with son's dogs and then came inside the trailer and watched us work. Also took several of the mini-blinds down along with their dreadful "valances" and will finish them off tomorrow. I'm going to just put curtains up, that way I can easily take them down to wash etc. Also going to put a shelf over our bed head wall, with a small lip, so we can put some books etc. there within easy reach if we're reading in bed. Also two "fold down" shelves, one on end of kitchen counter and one on other counter so I'll have more prep room when I'm cooking. So far we've had everything we need to do these modifications, so it's not costing us. Just "stuff" we had and some near new things from the Tioga Cab-over that's at the little house. We'll part it out when we're through. Should be able to sell the frig, stove, water heater & furnace pretty easily.

Edited by Philbe