MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

While additional aid is starting to arrive in Liberia, one of the issues that my friend spoke of was the fact that so many supplies have been diverted as aid groups have canceled their plans for mission trips to Ebola-stricken areas. I don't blame church and humanitarian groups for not wanting to put their people at risk for disease, but too often, the supplies that they were going to bring with them are not being sent on, alone. The supplies are desperately needed and will be the only way that Liberia and other nations will be able to stop this.

I saw an image somewhere of a large shipment of supplies from a US university/hospital, but I don't recall which one. Another issue is that many of the hospitals have been shut down due to the disease and won't be able to reopen until new aid workers arrive. Some of the African nations are attempting to get the word out about Ebola, before it enters their borders. I saw a video that someone posted of a man attempting to contact people via cell phone to raise awareness about the disease.

Let me see what articles I can find...

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone heard how the two Americans brought back to Emory hospital are doing?

MtRider :pray::(

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/dr-kent-brantly-statement/

Statement from Kent Brantly:

" I am writing this update from my isolation room at Emory University Hospital, where the doctors and nurses are providing the very best care possible. I am growing stronger every day, and I thank God for His mercy as I have wrestled with this terrible disease. I also want to extend my deep and sincere thanks to all of you who have been praying for my recovery as well as for Nancy and for the people of Liberia and West Africa.

My wife Amber and I, along with our two children, did not move to Liberia for the specific purpose of fighting Ebola. We went to Liberia because we believe God called us to serve Him at ELWA Hospital.

One thing I have learned is that following God often leads us to unexpected places. When Ebola spread into Liberia, my usual hospital work turned more and more toward treating the increasing number of Ebola patients. I held the hands of countless individuals as this terrible disease took their lives away from them. I witnessed the horror first-hand, and I can still remember every face and name.

When I started feeling ill on that Wednesday morning, I immediately isolated myself until the test confirmed my diagnosis three days later. When the result was positive, I remember a deep sense of peace that was beyond all understanding. God was reminding me of what He had taught me years ago, that He will give me everything I need to be faithful to Him.

Now it is two weeks later, and I am in a totally different setting. My focus, however, remains the same - to follow God. As you continue to pray for Nancy and me, yes, please pray for our recovery. More importantly, pray that we would be faithful to God’s call on our lives in these new circumstances "

#kickebolaoutofafrica

Edited by themartianchick

There are so many ignorant folks up here around me, believe me tmc, it would be a concern. They dont know enough to read a nutrition label, I know they won't know what to do if family gets sick with this stuff. It would be too late too fast. I will be watching the cdc reports and news. That's all I can say and I hope every one here does and has a plan for it if it gets going. No matter what their circumstances are.

THIS WEEK the CDC changed their information about how Ebola can spread; they now admit "being within 3 feet" of an infected person or "being in the same room" with an infected person can allow the virus to infect someone else! They also admit a person who is infected, but not yet showing symptoms, is contagious!

[link to preventebola.com]

oh, lovely Anewme. I had a feeling it would become so very quickly. It has now moved in to Nigeria over in Africa.

As to the person getting treated in NYC, I do not know if he flew over from Africa but that is likely, there were several , who exhibited the fever etc of first symptoms when they arrived by flights from Africa, and they were brought to a hospital in NYC and tested, this happened over several days last week and maybe the week before. The one was diagnosed positively, and evidently is receiving treatment currently. Fox news covered it last week.

Viruses mutate, period.

Well, keep following those who can give proper info and get it out to the people. WE have to know when to isolate, SIP, etc. Mistakes are made , by those who care for us in dire circumstances and they will get exausted, and others who are not blissful, but ignorant, or bullheaded will move it along. This is real folks. Just doesn't make my night to hear it , as it won't anyones, still. WE do need to know.

Edited by sassenach

I had a friend in college from Africa who had reoccurring malaria. Try getting dosages of quinine in Minnesota with an ignorant college doc. <_<

Just wondering if there can be a dual diagnosis? Malaria and..... ??

edit to add: Sad about the Spanish priest... :(

MtRider ...I do hope medical folks everywhere are being very, very careful. :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Oh....my! Unfortunately, the only cure for ignorance is education....and that isn't a instant inoculation. :( How very, very sad that ignorance breeds fear and fear turns into anger/violence. They have certainly upset the apple cart now.

MtRider ....God help us all :pray:

The CDC has told CBS13 that 60 people from California have been tested, with 10 of those tests being sent to the CDC for further review. All 10 of those tests came back negative.

That 60 people is from all of CA. Folks are being wisely cautious and being tested if they've been in W. Africa and later get a fever. .... :unsure: ....tho I think I'd be breaking out with a fever just thinking about it. :knary:

I would say that this is going to affect the number of folks going to that medical center for a while tho. Hopefully, this will turn out to be a negative like many have been.

MtRider ....use a different facility if you have a medical need, Dogmom. Freaky, a bit tho, isn't it? :blink: Something that's never been on this continent.... on your "doorstep". (((Dogmom)))

Yeah...it's a little freaky. I've been to that one but use a different one regularly that's in the other direction. Actually, I'm glad people are being hyper vigilant. I'd rather have that than the other way.

Dr. Kent Brently is being released from the hospital after being cured of the Ebola virus. Personally, I think if Americans had not contracted the deadly virus we would have turned our back on West Africa, as if they have any technology to research this virus themselves. IMHO B)

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/samaritans-purse-doctor-recovered-from-ebola/?utm_source=FGFacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=m_Y000-SOCM_SocialMedia

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see this post before I posted in Nature's Prescriptions, so I'm going to move my post here and delete that one.

God forbid we ever need it, but given the out of control situation in Africa I am sharing this information which came to me at work through a health bulletin which is sent to us at work. I'm an RN so I get lots of information from the county and state.

This information comes straight from the CDC. The current strain in Africa that is spreading is Ebola Zaire. Currently it is only known to be able to spread through contact with bodily fluids- this includes blood, vomit, urine, feces, vaginal secretions, semen and mucus. However I think it is important to keep in mind that this virus mutates a lot, and another strain of Ebola (Ebola Reston) has been known to be transmitted through airborne means. (Read all about it in the Hot Zone a book you can find on Amazon which is a true account of an outbreak in a Monkey House in the Washington D.C. area) While that strain appears not to be lethal in humans it is VERY closely related to the other strains of Ebola and Zaire has the potential to mutate to possibly become airborne. Ebola Zaire has a fatality rate >50% and up to 90%. This is not a threat to take lightly and all of us should be aware of the symptoms since this virus is one plane ride away from ending up anywhere in the world. The support in Africa is pathetic to try to contain this virus. And our government is not doing nearly enough to try to help contain this. We are sending a medical ship with 25 beds, when they need thousands of beds and don't even have enough gloves for the few Dr's and RN's that still are uninfected to protect themselves. I for one am planning to gather basic supplies over my usual medical supplies in case it is needed and I have a plan to isolate myself from my loved ones if I need to work through an outbreak here in the US. As an RN I feel it is my duty to protect not only my family but my community and stay on the job as long as possible if I am needed.
Please read this and gather personal protective equipment such as gloves, plastic disposable gowns, face shields, bio-hazard bags and goggles and bleach. Trash bags, food, water etc so you do not need to leave your home unless needed.

CDC manual http://www.cdc.gov/v...setting-vhf.pdf

Becca :bow:

It is so helpful to have an RN here with reliable information. Thank you so much for posting this!

I don't mean to say the rest of us don't have reliable info but it's just good to hear it 'from the horses mouth' so to speak and to read memos that only certain health care providers get. I don't feel so bad about my sick room supplies now. :blush:

Glad to be of any help I can be. I think it's very important to note that in the US where we have hospitals and modern medicine the survival rate will be MUCH higher, as well as having access to the developing medications that they are testing. I am hopeful they will pan out, as the initial information looks hopeful on the ones they are trying now. Mass producing them on the other hand is very tricky before they are "vetted" and also may not work so keep that in mind. In most cases supportive therapy seems to be very effective. Not one to try to treat at home but I wanted all of you to have access to what to do in the worst case scenario of not having access to a medical staff.