MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

My horse ride today went very well......ahem, except for the thunderstorm that flew in suddenly.  Clouds really moving fast.  Half hour before, I'd chosen to leave raincoat in car and go with the white shirt that keeps me from too much sunburn.  :busted:   WRONG choice.  It was WET and COLD!  Cowboy hat keep most of my hair dry....the bottom few inches curled!  Tank top and shorts...soaked.  Bare arms/legs...soaked.  The thunder went away and eventually the rain.  Stuck my cold..painfully cramping right hand down my pants to warm up and used my left hand for the reins.   We dried out a bit before reaching the corral. 

When we voyage into town, I carry a bag in car with alternate clothes, etc for riding ....and a bag of alternate clothes for other activities we might do with my mom.  She and DH had a good time with my dad today.  He's likely on different meds cuz he was playing Bingo and had been at their Sat. church service.  He was in a calm mood.  :amen:  Then DH dropped my mom off at her grocery store, then came to get me.  I grabbed dry clothes and changed at the restrooms at the ranch.  THAT felt better. 

Helped my mom shop and went to her place.  I'd been able to get a roasted chicken, hot out of the oven at the store.  She and I ate some when we got to her place.  I was famished....and still cold.  DH is allergic to chicken but made a turkey sandwich.  Then we drove home in such rain....another band of that!  DH had to be careful not to hydroplane.  Apparently his first driving accident was hydroplaning so he's careful.   Oh well.....we'll always take rain.

MtRider  .....tired tonite!  Ole Tank WORKS my muscles!!! 

• Like 3

Only here for a minute this morning.  Will catch up on posts later!

Off to Sunday School and Church this morning, then Kroger for hamburger sale (going to can meatloaf with one pack and chili with another). Then Dollar Tree for cheap reading glasses.
Come home and walk dogs if not raining. We got 1.5" Friday and almost 4" yesterday. We will see what today brings.
When I get home, will cook bell peppers onions ham and eggs for breakfasts.
Bake a blueberry apple pie from the pie filling I canned a week or so ago,--one quart didn't seal and has been waiting in fridge.
That will be enough for today!

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

My horse ride today went very well......ahem, except for the thunderstorm that flew in suddenly.  Clouds really moving fast.  Half hour before, I'd chosen to leave raincoat in car and go with the white shirt that keeps me from too much sunburn.  :busted:   WRONG choice.  It was WET and COLD!  Cowboy hat keep most of my hair dry....the bottom few inches curled!  Tank top and shorts...soaked.  Bare arms/legs...soaked.  The thunder went away and eventually the rain.  Stuck my cold..painfully cramping right hand down my pants to warm up and used my left hand for the reins.   We dried out a bit before reaching the corral. 

SHORTS! for the life of me I cannot see the reason to wear SHORTS while horseback riding!  :o

Don't your legs and thighs chafe against the leather of the saddle???   :blink: :scratchhead: :wacko:

• Haha 1

Went to Church this morning and then after went to my friend's house to help her with some things. We had lunch and then I cut down a 2-1/2 inch mattress pad for her double bed. It was one I had between the mattress and box springs of my old bed for storage. But it was a queen and needed to be cut down to double size. So got that measured and on her bed and then helped her get the bed made up. She is the friend that fractured her back. She still wears the brace but is now driving short distances. Still cannot stand in one place very long without being in pain, but she is getting much better. 

Came home and did a little bit around house and was going to cemetery, but looked like it was going to rain. So decided not to go today. I try to go every Sunday but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. 

Home equity loan should be closing in a couple of weeks to 30 days. Have someone coming Thursday for estimate on jacking up dining room floor. Still looking for someone for the fireplace. Ended up going with Loan Depot. They were great with helping me with what works for me.  Just hope with the way things are going with inflation and everything else that this was not a mistake as I do have to pay this loan off. But can get it payed off early. 

Hope to finish up in the master bedroom tomorrow and have it ready for the furniture. 

Daughter and son in law coming in Friday evening and staying till Sunday evening. They are going to help me with some things and we are also going out to dinner for my birthday. Yes I reversed the numbers and will be  17 years young. :happy0203:  What can I say.

• Like 3

Something I forgot to mention a while ago.  Right after Church this morning, there were 2 women with shirts on that read I think it was government health organization. They came into the sanctuary with notebooks in hand. We are not sure what is going on, but I did hear they are going to try to get the pastors to go door to door to give info and get us to get the vaccine. So I am betting they wanted the names of all members of the church. A lot of people that saw them are wondering why they were there and what was their intent. 

• Sad 4
5 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

SHORTS! for the life of me I cannot see the reason to wear SHORTS while horseback riding!  :o

Don't your legs and thighs chafe against the leather of the saddle???   :blink: :scratchhead: :wacko:

Reason #1  .... I grew up riding bareback....shorts and bare feet all summer!  :hapydancsmil:  Wild Iowa Farm Kids!  90% of my riding all thru my life has been bareback. 

Reason #2 ....Multiple Sclerosis is very dangerous cuz of overheating issues.  What do I care if I have scrape from a tree trunk I wasn't quick enough to move the horse away from or move my leg?  Hyperthermia is DEADLY!  :knary:     Don't think they can EVAC me quickly from inside the mountain forest trails.  [ no, we're not that remote!!] ;) 

Reason # 3 ..... actually, no.  I don't ever have leather chafe on my legs.  I did have a significant bruise and a scrape from the saddle stitching when I fell off......inside my knee as I was squeezing desperately... trying to hold me on the horse.  But the bruise would have happened even with jeans.  The scrape was very minor. 

I know.... :lol:    I've had to explain this to the folks who own the ranch and lead the rides too.  I think my skin would hold me in place better than some riding apparel I've seen tourists ride in.  Tights?  SLIPPERY!    :blink:    Yesterday I saw two young girls ride off in jodhpurs.  First time I've seen that.  Suede leather seats would stick well.

:sigh:    I'm taking our "DON'T GET SICK" herbs and potions today.  I feel a bit 'off'.  Lots of Vit C and D3 and zinc too.  I was very chilled for half the day.  Out in the sun this afternoon, it was in the 90's for the first time in weeks.  [ shooo!  Go away!  Don't want HOT! ]   I don't seem to have a temperature.  Not nausea.  No headache.  Chills and lethargic.  Maybe I'm just tired.  Used a lot of energy on Tank yesterday and also getting so chilled with the rain.  Yesterday WAS NOT in the 90's!   :grinning-smiley-044:

If I haven't snapped out of this, I'll cancel riding on Tues morning.   :shrug:  

MtRider  ......but....but I "never" get sick....  :rolleyes: 

• Like 6

This has been a crazy day for me. Couldn't get anything done because of everyone calling wanting to talk.  I don't mind that as I enjoy talking to my friends. But one call right after the other and then this evening my granddaughter in CA. She was funny, First she called and then she started texting me. So I have been on phone most of the day. 

I did manage to get clothes washed but not put away yet, and to get dishwasher unloaded and then put dirty dishes in it.  That was my day. So still need to get the bedroom floor cleaned when I get back from having lab work done tomorrow.  Hope I can get in and out fast. I need to get the whole house at least partway cleaned up before the lady comes to appraise the house for the loan. Bad part is, she has to also see the inside of house and I can't hide the food. She will see it. So I guess I will just tell her please don't think I am hording food. I was unable to get out to store due both to corvid and my sick husband couldn't be left alone. Though most of what she will see is the food I have canned. Don't want these people thinking I am a hoarder. 

Mt. Rider, Hope you are doing better now and can go horseback riding tomorrow. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was better today....maybe just tired?  But still taking Don't Get Sick herbs.  [Immune Boosting ]  Still a bit of dryness in back of throat so I'm taking precautions.  As for riding, they called today and there is a schedule conflict.  I'll be skipping this ride and go Sat.  Since DH is beginning the near-to-us job tomorrow, he can take a break from being in vehicles so much.  He went on a hired ride with his other client today - for results of cognitive testing.  It was way into the next county.  So he spent most of the day riding in vehicles.  Definitely thot a break tomorrow morning was a good idea.  :lol: 

Wow...we've gotten up to the low 90s the past two days.  Stay inside till sun sets and then it's down to the 50s overnite.  CO is so nice to do that so we can sleep well.  I REMEMBER hot Iowa nights...  :knary:  

MtRider  ......wonder if I shut the A/C off yet?   :offtobed: 

• Like 3

My husband took me to a f/u appointment yesterday and everything is healing well.  They took out the staples.   Dr. said I could hold my baby seated now and pick her up by 2 weeks from now.   My mom is going to stay until then and fly home.  I am so grateful she is here doing all the housework and childcare.  She is no spring chicken either in her 60s. :clothesline:

I looked at the medical records where I went back to the ER.  They put down everything BUT what I complained of when I went in.... low blood pressure in the 40s...and never did anything to even   deal with that.   :banghead:     I hate doctors.  

This has been a major SHTF scenario for us and I am glad that we were prepared for some of it and glad that we can see what to do differently in a similar event.  DH seriously thought I was dead/dying at the ER and he was so lost about the day-to-day needs that all he could do was worry about how to get things done.   I need to lay everything out more clearly in a format he can understand in case I am not around to do it.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Got 2" rain overnight and still raining.
Started last load of laundry.
Going to give dogs baths in a bit and then clean bathrooms.
Walk when and if it stops raining and then walk dogs.

• Like 2

Euphrasyne, Glad to hear you are doing so much better. Prayers answered but still needed. Take it easy and don't try to do to much to fast. 

Got the call today that my home equity loan went through. The appraisal is Friday and that will finish everything up and should be getting things going in 2 weeks to 30 days. So now to find me a good contractor for the fireplace and den as well as the main bathroom. 

Got the master bedroom ready for the new furniture now. Had to go get lab work done this morning and got the room finished when I got home. Not to happy that I can't hide the food in my small bedroom, but I can just say that's what happens when you have a pandemic. Though most of the food if food I canned. Still don't want it seen. But can't hide it anywhere. Just hope she doesn't take a picture of it. That room right now is a mess and until I get everything finished and gone through,, she will just see a messy room. 

• Like 4
Hello again to everyone.  THANKFUL that Euphrasyne is doing better!  :pray:   that all continues to go well.  Yeah, a real "DH Wakeup Call" huh?  I'd have to get my DD2 to take over my bills if DH was incapacitated for a while...or worse. 

Wellllll....another chapter in our lives this morning.  DH met the folks who bought the property across the road.  Just land for now.  Will they build?  Exchanged phone #s.  Didn't get a chance to ask him more.....cuz of OTHER topic.  Then he went to work....via the back gravel roads.  Avoid the area of new blacktop the county is rolling out today. 

Usually I ride on Tuesdays....in the mornings now.  But L. called yesterday to say they had camp kids on those rides today.   So I skipped the riding until Sat.  Turned out to be a blessing. :amen:  DH just left for his new, near-to-us client who will be on Tues-Thurs.  DH has been running ragged lately.  Also...tho I had a pretty good nite's sleep, I'm still wiped out of energy this morning.  Still fighting something.  Swollen glands. ???  Getting a little better.  Yes....was very good we didn't RUSH into town for a ride this morning!! 

The OTHER TOPIC:   while I was down in basement, trying to straighten a couple things....find the next bag of dog treats [HIGHLY IMPORTANT, of course!]  I made a rather horrific, disgusting discovery.  No...it wasn't sewer back-up.  New pipe will hopefully guarantee that won't be happening again soon.  But I looked over at the SE corner of the basement area.  It's the last area we haven't reclaimed from all the previous mouse/RATFINK invasions. 

I blinked....trying to figure out WHAT I was seeing!!!  Something beyond the usual chaos.... OH!    :motz_6:    DRAT THAT RATFINK!!!!!!!   If it wasn't already dead these long years, I'd blast the foul, thieving thing again!   I guess we now know where all the duck food and horse grains went to.   {GROAN!}   I found it's storehouse and by golly it was an ambitious critter.  <_<   

The basement is kinda finished off....in that the flooring support boards of the upstairs have been covered with sheets of plasterboard.  Not painted or taped...just raw, making the ceiling of the basement area.  Three of those plasterboard ceiling pieces have fallen......UNDER THE WEIGHT OF THE STOLEN GRAIN AND DUCK FOOD PELLETS!    :blink:  And the rest of what RATFINKS leave behind!   EEeeuuuuwwww! 

:yuk: Oh the foulness!!!  That is going to be a colossal MESS to clean up......besides being a "Superfund toxic cleanup site":faint3:   Hmmm.... how long would Hantavirus and that sort of thing remain viable?  Years have passed since RATFINK filled that hidey-hole.  But it dumped down alllll over everywhere.  Breathing the dust would obviously be ...inadvisable.  :yuk:   Especially for me.  Wonder when the weight finally crashed all that down?  Or was it the shifting of the house that finally caused the movement?  Log homes shift a lot...especially with seasonal change.  We're shifting temperature from the 50s at nite and 90s the past few days.  [Actually hit 100* briefly today!! ]  Dunno.  But I'll plan to do the cleanup with N95 and specific clothes.....rubber gloves!!!  YUCKO! 

We haven't had much mouse activity since we began the poison blocks.  I still keep the Bucket O Death down there too.  Hmph!  But as DH said....We'd sure be more upset if we HAD gotten that area all cleared and cleaned ....and then all that MESS came crashing down.  Riiight?  {MtRider eyes the rest of the ceiling panels with a jaundiced eye!!:tapfoot:  

In other news....we'd gotten a notice for a Certified Letter from the owners of this property on Saturday after P.O. had closed.  Oh. What. Now?   We weren't sure what it could be???  They didn't send us a new rental lease in May of 2020 nor did they send one in 2021.  So....all weekend we wondered:  did they sell the place and we have to move?  Did they increase the rent?  Can you imagine getting a 30 or even 60 day notice to move out of your tiny and FULL house after two decades?   Aaaagh!  But no.....for some unknown reason, they sent a 2021 rental agreement in July.  I have no idea why.  But...no increase in rent so.....  :amen: :sSig_thankyou::amen:  

MtRider  :buttercup:   I hate rodents!!!! 
Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

I looked at the medical records where I went back to the ER.  They put down everything BUT what I complained of when I went in.... low blood pressure in the 40s...and never did anything to even   deal with that.   :banghead:     I hate doctors.  

Was the low BP the reason for your fall? If it was I'd be a little more than pi$$ed with them! 

Have they addressed it since then?

• Like 4

The food in that small bedroom is a lot of food. Mostly what I have canned but top shelf is store bought foods that we never grew, peas, corn and things I make soups and things with for canning.  The two shelving units are 5 shelves each and holds 5 quart jars straight back in a row. I could put a sheet over each one like a curtain, which is something I have been looking at doing. I have boxes of sewing stuff, craft things and office stuff in boxes all in that room on floor now. As I go through everything. It is being used as a temporary storage room right now. But will get sheets up on the 2 shelving units in hopes she won't want to see what is behind there. The other issue is if she wants to see my hall closet which has been my pantry for years. It is also full. Under the bottom shelve are 5- 5 gal. buckets. But I can say that has my craft stuff in it for now while I go through things. The buckets are marked but I turned the labels to wall so you can't see that. The closet in both the front bedroom and the one in small bedroom has all my canned flour and other foods in there as well as teabags, coffee and other things in there. All my 25 year food is on the top 2 shelves in the bedroom I am turning into a guest bedroom. So cannot hide but so much. I am hoping she won't look in closets. But if she does, I will just tell her that I stocked up one because I was the only caregiver for Dh and was not able to go to stores and also because of corvid, and Dh was so sick that I would not leave house and could not leave Dh alone. For the most part that would be the truth. All they want is to make sure the house is worth more than half of what I borrowed against it. So I am covered anyway as I know about what I could sell the house for. 

Mt. Rider, sounds like you have a real mess to deal with. But at least your rent didn't go up. That is a great thing. Lots of praying thank you Jesus for that one. I just went from no house payment to a house payment for 15 years, but the payments are small and I can get that payed off in half the time. What money I don't need I will pay back to the loan. But then the house payment is less than my car payment was. Go figure. Thankful I can now get this work done on the house. It is all long overdue to be done. 

• Like 4

Went to foot doctor this morning. Foot is doing much better. He also had me get a pair of shoes as I am diabetic. Insurance just bought me a pair of New Balance tennis shoes. He had me fitted for an insole for the shoes because of the bone spurs and planters fasciitis. So that should help. I can get a free pair once a year. 

After I left there I went to Home Depot and got 2 dowels for the shelving units. Going to get sheets up there for curtains temporary till I get time to make some. The dowels will be the curtain rods. 

Going to finish the touch up painting in bed room and it will be done. Then will call mattress discounters and have them go ahead and deliver the mattress and box springs so they will be here when the bed gets here. 

Granddaughter from CA sent me some beautiful roses for my birthday. That was a nice surprise waiting for me when I got home. So they are in the vase in water now. 

Got to get moving now and get busy. Rest time is now over. 

• Like 3

Happy Belated Birthday, Littlesister! I'm glad you are able to get sheets up and turn some items around so they aren't easily identified!

Walked first, then fed and walked dogs.
Made a couple of phone calls.
Made a big batch of chili.
Pressure canned--still going-- 7 quarts, froze a large container and have another large container in the fridge.
Made 2 hamburgers to cook later.
Probably Church tonight.

• Like 4

Thunderstorming all over CO today.  Yesterday there was dangerous [fatal] flash flooding as a result of last summer's Cameron Peak wildfire.  :(  

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2021/07/20/flash-floods-poudre-canyon-residents-urged-move-higher-ground/8036373002/

That was video taken from a doorbell camera.  Those are whole trees rushing down what's normally a small stream.  :o  

We're getting  S L O W  moving thunderstorm cell(s)  this afternoon.  Rain is wonderful!  :amen:   It's been booming and rumbling all afternoon.  Rain is not torrential here, thankfully.

I had a bad night with muscle spasms and sciatica....OW!   Could barely walk or think this morning.  Ack....I've been doing so well!  I did call to get the senior van to take me riding next Thursday.  We're all scrambled cuz of DH's new Tues/Thurs hours. 

.......tho he may quit this company and try a different one!  He didn't get paid yesterday and they're saying [over and over and over ]  we didn't get what you sent us...send it again....we don't have this...we don't have that.....your checking deposit numbers were wrong  [from a pic of a cancelled check]   :tapfoot:   He likes his clients but that office is NUTS!  :sassing:     He already has a call back from a different Home Health Care Aid company.  People are crying for workers....  His paycheck doesn't show up...he's gonna walk!  

MtRider  ....off to do Hawaiian 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Mt. Rider, if his checks are not showing up on payday, then they are having financial issues. Might be he needs to move on. That does not sound right. 

That is some flood. Not looking good at all. Did you see on Fox news about China. They are having really bad flooding. 

Praying your muscle spasms get better. Wonder if some of it could be weather related. I know I have a lot of issues with my arthritis when it rains here. 

Got the curtains up over the shelving to cover the food. Been cleaning and working on bedroom this afternoon. Got the last of the holes filled and just waiting on the plaster to dry where I had some small holes where we used to have valances from the old curtains that used to be up there. Once that dries and I can get it painted, then I can get the curtains hung back up once the paint is dry. Will be really busy next few days. They are coming tomorrow morning to give estimate on jacking up the dinning room floor. Then Friday the lady comes to check out the house to see what it is worth. Then Friday night daughter and son in law will be here for the weekend. They will being going back home Sunday night. 

Thank you Miki. My birthday is tomorrow. But at my age who's counting. I can turn numbers around so I am 17 years young :24: What can I say. My body says otherwise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Praying your muscle spasms get better. Wonder if some of it could be weather related. I know I have a lot of issues with my arthritis when it rains here. 

Oye!  I've got all kinds of variables for that sore hip:  changed the mattress cuz of poking springs?... whether I'm riding once or twice per week?....whether I have big motion on Tank or I'm on a less strenuous horse gait?....still affects from my fall off the horse?  ......

But your are right, Littlesister!  I hadn't thot of athritis and unusually damp weather in CO.  Hmmm.....now I reallllly don't know how to fix this cuz dont' know what's causing it. 

MtRider  :sigh:   thanks tho.  Maybe I'll do better when the sun comes back???  :shrug:  

• Like 2

I have had a very busy day today. Got this estimate for jacking up the floor. Not as bad as I thought it might be. But I need a plumber to turn off water and gas in that area under house and move the pipe so they can put 5 joist that should have been there when house was built in 1964. Then it will take 2 jacks to jack the floor up and no guarantee that they can get the floor back up to the wall where it should be. But will hold the china hutch after they are done. If it doesn't come up to where it needs to be, When I have the floor fixed in that area, there might be something they can do. As for the fireplace, that is a joke. These people can't do that, but knows someone that they will have contact me. There should have been concrete blocks for support under the fireplace and there is nothing. So the shifting over the years has messed that up. They might just condemn it. I sure hope not. Will see how that goes as I really don't want to open that can of worms right now. 

Tomorrow morning the appraisal will be done. Then I can close on the loan. Will be glad to have all this work done so I can concentrate on bathroom remodel. But first the structural stuff has to be done. The bad part is that I am going to have to move all the food off the shelving units in the small bedroom, so nothing will fall as they jack up the floor in that area. That is not as bad and only a precaution just in case. Don't want an issue like the dinning room floor. That joist follows along the garage wall from front to back of house and no joist going the opposite way to hold any weight. So floor separated from wall and is sinking. That is why I am doing the small bedroom. Don't want that same problem.

So been busy cleaning house all day as well. Cleaned bathrooms. Washed bathroom blinds. washed sheets And lots of dusting and mopping floor in kitchen and den. 

No wonder I am tired. I haven't eating all day. Just my coffee and got to work. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Walked first.
Went to Walmart for a couple of things.
Thrift stores--Got 51 canning jars for 25.00. Good enough! Some pints and some quarts.
Went up to Church to help clean up after a fund raiser.
Found out that Vacation Bible School is postponed or cancelled because the youth group went to a camp and were exposed to someone who tested positive for covid. Kids are quarantined. That frees up a lot of time for me next week, so we will see what I find to do!

• Like 2

The lady came today for the appraisal early this morning. In and out in 5 minutes. Took pictures of all the bedrooms, kitchen and den and inside of both sheds. Pictures of outside of house and the generator and well. Then measured around outside of house and left. So just a waiting game now. 

Took another load of tomatoes to market and got paid for those. Money will come in handy for next years raised beds. I think raised beds will be much easier on me than just tilling up the yard and trying to keep it weeded. 

Not doing anything else today. I'm tired and going to do something I hardly ever do. I'm going to take a nap in a bit. Maybe in an hour or two I will feel better. I am going to can the rest of the roma tomatoes. I had a bumper crop and now it looks like I am going to have a bumper crop of eggplant.  The plants are loaded with eggplants  and still loaded with blooms which will soon be more egg plants developing.  Eggplant parmesan soon to be on the menu. I make it and freeze it for quick meals. Add a salad and dinner is served. 

• Like 1