MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

Don't ya just love life's little surprises, Annarchy? :grinning-smiley-044:

We're hopefully making a hay run with the OLD van. Had been set to get there at 3pm cuz they were going in town. But they called and are already home at noon. :blink: With late nite [sleep by 3:30 AM] and blasted usual 8AM advertising call about a non-existent time share that has me awake for another hour....I was still sleeping when N called to say "C'mon over!"

Uh...not quite yet. :imoksmiley:

Gonna be a day with a lot of exertion. Pray the Van is ok to pull the horse trailer full of 18 bales of hay. [no R brake lite or turn signal ...or connection to lights on the horse trailer..... So I'll be following with the truck that we normally use but is now on 5 outta 6 cylinders....] :sassing: It's been one of THOSE seasons around here!

MtRider :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Brrrrr. It's cold here this morning. I looked at the computer and it's 37 degrees. No wonder I'm cold. I suppose I'll have to turn on the furnace soon. Every day I don't turn it on is like money in the bank...in my mind. :rolleyes:

Speaking of banks I should stop by mine today and redo my checking account. I got some sort of perks if I got the account. I can't even remember what they are now. The thing is I have to keep a certain amount in the balance. If I don't, it's a $50.00 a month fee. That's a lot of money for nothing. Until grand baby came along that wasn't a problem. As long as I get free checking I'm good and I don't need anything else. I'm a loyal customer for over 25 years so it shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of other banks in town...

I'm going to make another trip to Michael's. They are having another tee shirt sale until the 12th. They are 4 for $10.00 this time. I don't really need any more but I can't pass that sale up. I think I'll get them and just leave them at son's house. 'You know who' leaks at both ends and most of it usually lands on me. Those tee's are nice and go right in the washer and dryer with no worries. I think they are Jerzees if I'm not mistaken.

Will probably swing by a Micky-D's and get some of that broccoli cheese soup. Dang that stuff is good. Not all places have it so I'll have to scope out the ones that do this year. I already have 2 located. :D

I forgot that I still have 2 hoodies and a snowsuit to mail out too. Yikes! I guess a trip to the post office for a box is in order too.

Hey Jeepers....one of these cold morning it might be a good idea to turn on that furnace. Just to make sure it's working well. Blow the dust off ...so to speak. Cuz if you wait till the first winter storm or really cold snap.....and something is wrong with it.....and everyone else who's having the same realization all calls the repair folks at once.... :frozen:

Had a realllllly hard day of getting hay in barn yesterday. DH and I aren't getting any younger. Both of us have some physical stuff. DH's exhausted from 5 days on his feet. AND the vehicle problems. I had to follow him in a 2nd truck that shows both brakes/turn signals. That was fine. Back country roads for all but 1/2 mile of highway. But loading 16 bales at a time is going to be hard. 120 bales requires ....EIGHT trips? :faint3: Then unloading ....iffen anyone builds a barn or hay shed, be sure to place the dumb thing NEXT TO THE DRIVEWAY! Ours requires carrying / dragging on sleds across dirt/gravel about 100' to get from trailer to barn. Totally wasted energy. Dumb! Then too....van had to be jumped twice. [alternator? wires? battery?] :shakinghead:

The second time it died to nothing...not even a click when turning the key....the van was in the middle of driveway. No way around it in this hilly, steep terrain. So since one of our other vehicles could not reach to jump, DH had to walk up the hill and bring down the other one. With some fiddling, we got it jumped and moved outta the way so both other vehicles could be brought to the top. We'd worked well past dark. I was handling hay with shorts on cuz it was a very WARM SUNNY day. Then it got dark and COLD! :frozen: Also had to feed animals so DH had brought feed for horses/ducks down too. AND I hollered up for him to turn on the lights. We then put battery charger on the van battery. Should be good to go again today....tho the only thing we'll do today is finish unloading the second load. Both ran outta energy :0327: 12 more bales still on trailer.

Came up to house finally and sent load of clothes down with DH to put into washer. Heated up crockpot meat and rice. Took shower. Put lotion on hay-scratched legs. We were both involuntarily groaning. I'd yanked backwards on one bale with the hay hook and tho I thot I'd set it tight, it slid thru like it was going thru water. Momentum slammed me on my back in the driveway. Managed to curl and do a sort of roll to absorb the impact but caught the back of one elbow. Lucky to not crack my head on that one. Aiieee! I still do have martial arts trained reflexes...thank YOU, God! Time to quit when you start doing things like that.

Glad we've got 32 bales moved here. Were running out of last year's supply and horses need it. They've eaten most of available pasture....'tis November already! We do get a lot of months without giving out hay. I would be hard pressed to find a small acreage that supplies that and a steady creek here in CO. Winter is when that great advantage disappears [and also the pond for duck happiness] and the really hard labor for feeding/watering ducks/horses begins. :yar: Winter cometh.

Right now...in bed. Legs are not working ....limp, useless. They'll "get over it" sometime. :tapfoot: Had a complete meltdown this morning. For the FIFTH morning in a row, the sales people for time-share called. They are calling in the middle of my sleep cycle....like 3AM would be for most people. It's really 9AM but they MUST stop interrupting my sleep. I'm getting classic sleep deprivation symptoms.... :motz_6::animal0017::runcirclsmiley2: :frying pan: :yar: .....you get the picture. With elderly parents, I don't feel as tho I can just unplug the phone. And I'm answering the dumb phone in my sleep. But this morning, I remembered to listen thru the message to get to the part about "Press 1 to register for our FREE seminar on time shares. Press 9 to be taken off our call list." .....but I'm not sure I caught it in time! I had to fumble for the light. Then....early morning eyes are very blurry so I was trying to find the NINE! When I heard the dial tone and thot I might not have caught it in time......and thus will be subjected to ANOTHER CALL TOMORROW....I just lost it!

So, resting today....not that my legs are giving me any choice at the moment.... Tomorrow we go for hay again.....

MtRider WARNING: ....do not approach until I've had some SLEEEEEP! :rolleyes:

Edited by Annarchy

Alternator and alternator/battery charging issues are indicated when your headlights turn brown and slowly die.

Sudden death of all power normally means either one of your battery cables is bad, or one of your posts is bad. Luckily, both of these can be rigged to work for way less than the cost of a battery (much less an alternator).

Hmmm....that's hopeful, Ambergris. We've had headlights when the vehicle would not turn over. One battery cable is suspect. Fits, I think, with your data.

MtRider ....I know rather a lot about vehicles [in layman's terms] due to owning ones that break down. But each seems to be a new adventure. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I checked our 10 day forecast and the high is going to be in the 50's and low in the 40's with two nights in the upper 30's. Guess I'll fire up the furnace tomorrow and keep it on low for awhile. I'd turn it on tonight but when I turn it on for the first time I like to do it in the morning when I'm alert incase something goes wrong.

I'm still getting the calls on how to reduce my student loan that I never had in the first place. I've opted out but they still call. I was told when you push the opt out button they know that you are a live person they are calling because you responded. I don't know if that's true or not. But I figure by doing that, and they still call, I can say I told them to stop calling. That is one of the boxes on the "do not call" website. Today I reported them.

I don't know how you do it with MS. I think I would have given up the farm life a long time ago. :hug3:

If I built a barn I'd want one where I could drive in. I like those like some Amish have. You drive up a slight incline and you are on the first floor. In the bottom level is where the animals live. They can just walk straight in. I think it's called a bank barn.

Forgot to say the tee shirts are Gildan and not Jerzee. :blush:

Edited by Jeepers

Most barns in Iowa were like that. Ours was. Access from the road.

:sigh: Course our 'hay shed' is just that. A tiny, three-sided shed. Had to be built less than X-amount of square feet or the county has jurisdiction. Dirty county code department so instead of a three section loafing shed, we only built the two end tiny sections. The middle is what we call the 'donkey palace'. A tubular frame with a brown tarp over it for overflow outdoor junk. But it doesn't count cuz it's not a "structure". The short little Maggie Mae DID use it for shelter tho when the horse wouldn't share the horse shed with her bratty self! :lol:

I wouldn't even have to think of giving up the 'farm' thing....IF the land was flat. IF there was a real barn with water plumbed inside and all animals in one location. [we have to shovel snow from 7 gates and 3 animal doorways. Not counting the cabin.] IF we had tractor power....or ATV power. So much of the heaviest labor would be eliminated with a few simple changes to the layout/structures. IF we had money to hire some of this heavy work done. ....really gets down to that. We do it ourselves cuz it's cheaper. I'd give up the 'farm thing' but....really need the horses. Ducks are minimal except digging them out of snowdrifts. Single remaining goat is like a second dog and runs free where she wants. Goes with us when we walk the dog. :shrug:

Sheesh, Homesteader. You really got banged up! Glad it's healing and yeah, that first time allowed to wash hair again had to be nice!

MtRider ...legs working again. Did a lot of resting..except change cat litter and feeding...and walking the HILL cuz my truck wouldn't start tonite! :shrug: This vehicle problem is beginning to be ridiculous!

Edited by Mt_Rider

Homesteader sounds like you took quite a hit :-( Mr and I were hauling some bookcases up to the apt. at the Homestead (our new "library") and I was a step ahead of him and "ouch"...I saw stars when I raised up and took it on the top of my head. No cuts etc., but had to sit down on the steps for a few minutes. Glad you're beginning to feel better and yes...washing our hair feels good no matter when...but in your case I'm betting it was truly a WONDERFUL experience!

MrWE2 worked half a day. Have a little 95 year old that had a leak in her front porch roof and needed some painting. He's trying to get it all done before wet weather runs him off. When he got home we made a Mennonite store run to top off some things . Didn't find some of the herbs I was looking for so will have to go the other direction to another store.Bought two really nice beef tenderloins so...I'll be canning. Picked up a case of wide mouths to do that. I want to can them as "roast" not chunks. Hadn't planned on doing any more canning (especially of meat) but the price was too good to pass up. Also picked up a wonderful fully cooked turkey breast (huge) for our Thanksgiving meal. Then we'll keep our eyes open for the sale on whole turkeys. Last year we bought two nice big ones and I cooked them in my big electric roaster, shredded them and then canned them. Turkeys are wonderful that way...very moist and tastey! Also found some hamburger (10# role) for $1.99 a pound for 80/20. We'll be dividing that up into small portions and I'll vacuum seal them for the freezer. Also found some dehydrated carrots...first time I've seen them in the mennonite stores! Bought a couple of small containers and put them into a quart jar & vacuum sealed it down an oxygen absorber. Will add more to it next time we make the trip and have a few more dollars. Picked up a couple of 1# sausage chubs for 99 cents. I like to use sausage in our kale, onion and bell pepper omelets. Picked up a pizza for $2.59! and it was absolutely delicious for supper! If they have them next time we'll probably buy several. Weather has been frosty at night and in the 60's during the day. Still avoiding the furnace but did flip it on to make sure it would cycle up. Plugged in the EdenPur in the livingroom and it's keeping comfy. Got the little cube heater in the bathroom to turn on when we shower...to take the frosty off while we're in there "commando"...LOL

"Be very very quiet, we are hunting wabbits."

Our travel car's engine lights came on Friday night as we were going out, we turned it off and waited until today, Monday morning.

DH opened the hood to check the fuses and jumped back! Two eyes were looking at him from the back of the engine. He called me to come quickly. He gently removed the engine cover and I tried to get a picture. It escaped before I could.

It ate the wire harness!!!

Ack!!!!!

Can't drive it to the repair shops, it has to be towed. And will need to be "reprogrammed " so any repair shop can't do it, it has to be an authorized dealer. Worse, the closest one is over 50 miles away. *Sigh*

This is unbelievable.....

Pesky wabbits. Those cute little fuzzy butts can sure cause a lot of damage.

I ran a couple of errands today and got some bills mailed out. I finally got a box mailed too. First I got the boxes then I didn't have enough tape. I couldn't pack up the box because I didn't have enough tape to secure the bottom of the box. Then the P.O. was closed on Friday because of Veteran's Day. Of course the longer I waited to send it the more time I had to fill it. Vicious cycle. I found the cutest little long sleeve flannel shirt that is a onsie and a little pair of jeans. Also a camo hoodie. That kid dresses better than I do.

I ended up back home with 2 containers of broccoli cheese soup. Not sure how that happened, cough-cough. I unpacked a throw that I bought at K-Mart last week. O.M.G. It's one of those fuzzy over sized deals and I swear that it feels like powder. I may not move from this chair the rest of the day. I'm going to get another one to snuggle up with incase something happens to this one. I really can't believe how soft this thing is.

Expensive wabbits. See if you can rent a dolly from U-Haul. Maybe a friend has a trailer hitch and vehicle you can use? We had to do that when my motorcycle had a flat tire. We borrowed the neighbor's trailer and winched it up and over to the Honda dealer. Our neighbor enjoyed the fresh honey that I paid him with. :hapydancsmil:

Yeah, renting a towing/hauling system is likely cheaper than a 50 mile tow! I've never thot of that, Homesteader! :thumbs:

Goodness.....how can you keep rodents outta the engine? We had a grey squirrel making a nest in ours a long time ago. Can't even remember which vehicle. Sometimes critters crawl in to get warm....lost a cat in a combine....ick!

But yikes....that's gonna be an unfortunate cost. Better get at least wabbit stew outta that deal. :(

We're still working on all three vehicles. DH unhooked bits and parts of the gas line today....blowing thru each one to see where it's not getting gas to pass thru to carburetor. Pa-tooey! So ....either it's the carburetor itself or the fuel pump. He's looking up how complex/expensive to replace fuel pump. If it was running, we might let the expert do it. But ....it's not running and towing is expensive..... :shrug:

Van.....is holding battery charge for now. It's running up and down driveway for me and Koa. I'm pretty sure it's leaking power steering fluid badly....from the noise it makes turning the steering wheel...not long after DH filled it. I hope not brake fluid. Who knows what else? ...it's old.

DH's truck...he has purchased new brake pads and we can do that job...but he's afraid to work on the only vehicle fit to get him all the way in town for work.

Plus....my east-coast niece and her friend are here for a few days. Want to spend time with them. Then he works 4 days straight. ....hay will have to wait but have enough here for the horses/goat.

MtRider .....too busy and too tired. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mt_Rider

....and then.....

Life's unexpected twists.

My truck was making strange clunking noises in the front end, both front tire bearings. And then, took the little car to run errands and the inside door handle quit working. We have the book and DH was able to remove the panel so I could put the pull cable back into the grommet hole. It is fixed. 95 Honda Civic has been a blessing, especially for Grrr, 'cause he's getting old and has trouble getting into the trucks.

But the 06 Charger was our last 'new car' purchase before DH retired and it HAS to last to enable us to continue to go take care of MIL.

And then, our insurance rates went up to almost $1,000/mo. We found another company today. PTL

And then, the friend we babysat hens for, was afraid his HOA would fine him gave them back to us. That's 8 hens and 5 eggs a day. DH & I don't eat that much. Our elderly neighbor is taking the excess.

We've arranged for the tow truck because the car isn't supposed to be towed on 2 wheels. Dang it. But, we will try to do a trade, if they are willing. We found a dealership a little closer, willing to do the work. God willing, it will be a simple job with no hiccups.

And then, I lost my primary email, 3 weeks before it was due because the company changed their billing date. I didn't have a chance to get my contacts transferred and lost a lot of my sisters emails I had saved-heartbreaker. And I closed my art web site which effected other people. *sigh*

And then, so much more, I am tired of "and then".

Praying for Mt_Riders car trouble more than she'll ever know.

We tried the U-Haul option, but where we are, the cost would have been about the same. Go figure.

My trap is set for the rabbit! It is going to make soup and fur lined gloves! Bawhaha!

AND... then!

Harvester ants decided to drill a hole under the glass in the bathroom and had a line to the sink for water! Of course I didn't notice until they had bitten me several times.

No more "and then" Please?

Annarchy....you've joined us in "Duluth"! I absolutely know what you mean by "And Then's" :behindsofa: Praying for you too!

I just threw out a box of mothballs cuz the whole box wasn't deterring the critter that leaves it's calling card on my door ledge each morning. :tapfoot: And they stink!

Nice visit with niece and friend at my folks' tonite. Activities planned tomorrow. We stopped at Walmart before returning home. We do silly gifts for B-days and Christmas stockings so.....we found a nice assortment of silly, partially useful and fun things. Tomorrow nite we go to the sombrero place. If it's your B-day, you wear a real sombrero. It's very pretty but heavy with ornamentation. Niece had lured her gramp [my dad] into there on his birthday years ago. I'm figuring it's her turn. :sHa_sarcasticlol: Besides, places to eat in that small town are quite limited and their food is good.

Her friend wants to ride horse in CO Rockies so that's on the agenda too.. That's gonna be therapeutic for me! I'm skipping the morning activity. Just. Can. Not. Do. It. :faint3:

I'm a bit concerned. We joined them only for this evening and when we got to my folks' house....I basically had to crawl on my hands, knees up their stairs. Sheeesh, that never happens. [hardly ever] Verrrrry marginal physical functioning....and cognitive is not doing too well either. :unsure::sassing:

MtRider ...prayers appreciated.

Edited by Mt_Rider

BTW mice just love insulation on car wiring. Don't ask me how I know.

It is still before 10 am and I am batting a thousand. I can't refill all of my propane tanks because some of them are old and need to be recertified? It's 5 bucks a tank to recertify them.

I also can't get my fire extinguishers recharged. I could only find one place that even recharges them. They said mine are too old.

DH needs some sort of o-ring to be replaced. He found it online and it costs 7$. However it costs 10$ to mail it. It only weighs about an ounce or so but there is a minimum shipping charge. He found a hack instead and hopefully it works. It's a good thing he is clever!

Apparently things are now aged if they are over 10 years old.

We keep hearing about reusing/recycling etc but just try to reuse stuff in this throwaway world.

Kinda nervous-- starting Krav Maga tonight. It's gonna be rough, but I'm kind of looking forward to it. I've been wanting to learn hand-to-hand combat/ marital arts for years, and things just sort of fell into place all in the last week. I formally signed up yesterday, and my first class is this evening.

Praying for everyone, because life is. . . .life, yanno?

I hear you, Momo! We're all throwing out stuff faster and faster. They'd better find a way to stash it up on the moon pretty soon. Stuff isn't built to be refilled or repaired. :gaah: Insanity!

Krav Magna.....it's been getting popular in the past few years. I'd be interested in hearing about it, Zophiel! I studied a Japanese form of karate for years and ....reflexes still remember it. Course..... an old body might break itself even if the reflexes performed a maneuver correctly. :rolleyes:

So today..... :sigh: ....today I "sorta ...kinda...fell of my horse". In the same way I "kinda sorta fell off Darlene's horse" about a decade ago.

How does one "kinda sorta" fall off any horse, you might ask? .....Welllll, if you haven't even gotten ON TOP OF THE THING! I'm saying it doesn't count if you never ACTUALLY got on top of it. Right? :pout:

In the case of Darlene's horse, The small 3-step stool flipped and I really wasn't on her horse yet. Managed to land my ribs on a big old ROCK and crack one of two of them....on the day I had to fly home from GA to CO. 'OW' doesn't begin to describe how painful that was.

Today....sheeesh! I ride with only a fleece bareback pad. No stirrups and frankly, I could not launch into a saddle just with stirrups at this age anyway. So I need the boulder to drop onto the horse. I've done it easily a hundred times. My niece's friend A was already mounted on our 2nd horse. I was momentarily distracted and my usual "drop one leg across and slide down onto horse.....didn't work. Not sure if I failed to hold leg straight or if horse moved a half step away from boulder..... :scratchhead:

Result was I had right leg on right side....up to the knee. The REST OF ME was dangling off the left side. I do not have the strength to pull up from there. AND THE IDIOT, NINNY horse took off. I hate her 'ninny' ...'let's panic'...aspect the most. [and I have other things I do not like about this horse!] If she would have stopped/held still, I would have simply dropped both legs to the ground and begun again. But Noooooooooooo! She goes trotting off in some panic cuz somet'ing ain't right here!!!!! :runcirclsmiley2:

:mad: I knew I had to drop cuz heaven knows WHEN/WHERE Ninny thot she was gonna stop! But I had a steep up hill on the side I was clinging to. Meaning: I drop and I will obviously roll downhill underneath her! This is NOT GONNA BE GRACEFUL! :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: Eventually I DID have to drop but when I rolled towards her moving legs, I brought up my feet and kicked at her chest! Connected and the Ninny finally stopped! Sheeeeesh! I thot for SURE she was going to step on me....repeatedly! But she didn't. :amen:

Good thing she stopped cuz one foot tangled briefly in the rein when I kicked her chest...but I twitched it loose and still was rolling down hill to the far side of her. Dang mountain terrain!

I came up to my feet so verrrrry unhappy! I think I roared something like: "I want my [favorite horse's name] back!!!!!!!!! " I stalked back to her and grabbed the reins. "H would have NEVER....EVER, EVER EVER kept going like that! You IDIOT!"

And he never would have. H used to take care of me so well. ALWAYS made sure he stayed underneath me. Always! Never would have done that to me. :angry::angry::angry:

============

I'd taken a shower and DH had adjusted me that morning. [remember I yanked on a hay bale a few days ago and the hay hook came loose; I landed backwards? Well this was the first chance I'd had to get an adjustment after that incident. Since I woke with a blitzing headache this morning [neck out!], the adjustment came first.

Dropping from the 'limpet-on-horse's-side' position and rolling downhill did not help the adjustment. :shakinghead: Really didn't help the rib that's not staying in place either. BUT...the show must go on. I circled her back to the boulder and made a correct landing....still muttering comparisons between her Ninny-self and my beloved H. :yar: I miss H!!!!!

A and I had our ride. A nice ride after that. Gorgeous day for mid-Nov. Her horse hadn't been ridden since my niece rode him with me in January. He did quite well. A bit lazy. The ride worked some of the kinks out of me. But after they left to go back to town, I had to take another shower [clumps of grass in my hair...dirt all over me!] and get another adjustment. :buttercup: IDIOT!

Since our other horse has been doing well with such little riding, I'm going to switch over to him. Not because she's a NINNY! But because it's nearly winter and she's old and really can't afford the calories of me riding her. The other one is younger and hefty! She's a little skinny-minnie. He's really big boned and is an 'easy keeper'. His habit of unexpectedly leaping away from imaginary 'ghosts' seems to have calmed down. That's been my reluctance to ride him.....cuz I'm alone when I ride now. But I think B will be okay. He's a little older now and hopefully steadier. ...... <_< Gotta be more steady than the NINNY!

:) We ended the day with my folks, DH and I, and the gals going out to eat at a surprisingly good restaurant tonite. My dad was daring and tried something new. Lots of leftovers too. Tomorrow night is sombrero restaurant and a pre-celebration of niece's B-day :bdaycake: before they go home.

MtRider ...... Hmph! :pout: Can't even remember the last time I was ACTUALLY dumped off a horse.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Oh my! I'm kind of afraid of horses. They're so much bigger than me and I don't understand how their minds work. Glad you were not hurt.

Looks like we've got a bit of smoke from all the wildfires raging west and south of us. Thousands of acres have burned and still burning in western NC, southwestern VA, eastern KY and TN. Even wildfires in coastal areas of NC, SC and GA.

DD1 and DSIL are planning to come for the weekend. We ladies plan to do our annual Goodwill shopping trip. Mom gives us each $20 and we shop GW and SA for Christmas gifts for ourselves and our men from Mom for Christmas. Mom loves this so much and it's fun for us too. A couple years ago, I was in Mom's bank withdrawing the cash for this outing and the very-well dressed bank teller was so friendly and pleasant. I mentioned that we were going for our annual Christmas GW shopping trip. Her eyebrows shot up and she visibly withdrew from me as if she were trying not to be contaminated. I had a good laugh after I got back in my car. Now every time I go in that bank, she is quite frosty. I guess I just revealed to her that I was not in her class. :) I just think it's funny. I am not ashamed of shopping at Goodwill.