MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

She has been on. You must have just missed her. She posted yesterday (I think) in the canning and cooking forums. Also a couple of posts up above.

Were you thinking about Sass? Someone (I think...again) it was Snapshotmiki said she was occasionally on Facebook and Sass said she was just real busy concentrating on her writing and not doing a lot of online stuff. Please correct me if I'm wrong Miki.

No. I checked her history and The WE2 has not been on since April, I think. Did she change her forum name?

edit: you are right. She was on yesterday. But when click on her name it says last time on April 29. Hmmm....

Edited by Cecilia
On 9/13/2017 at 2:25 PM, Mt_Rider said:

Koa LOVES :wub:  sweet potatoes.  They were her first treats.  I dehydrated some and took them to Darlene's when I went to pick her up. 

She also loves rice ..... :(   cuz when all the puppies in that litter got so sick, we fed them rice and home-cooked chicken broth initially.  Then put more and more of the meat in with the mix as they improved.  Then slowly transferred more kibble into that.

She's always "remembered" those first 'other' foods.  She likes them dehydrated or cooked....even the skins.  

MtRider   :cook:

Abby-girl will eat ANY vegetable except dill pickles! LOL  She loves the sweet potato "tips" when I'm trimming them down for canning, a piece of tomato when I'm working with them ie: salads etc., eggplant? yep.  Zucchini? yep.  Her lunch is usually a few pieces of cauliflower, broccoli and carrots (I buy the medley's from Aldis).  I keep them frozen until I open a bag.  When defroster they're in my frig.  She gets 1/3 bag each day for lunch.

• Like 1

Well, our company is gone now.  I sure miss having them here.  They were excellent houseguests!  It's way too quiet now.  They were so happy to have a place to come to away from Irma, but they helped us out so much in return!  Just a little sad this evening.

• Like 2

Did you lose electric, Ambergris?

I know I've been ITCHING to :shopping:  since Harvey!  Got a gift card and bird-in-hand is better than bird-at-Walmart.

MtRider ....still recovering from massive adrenaline usage...but some glimmer of light at end of this long dark tunnel....  :0327:   :pray:

• Like 1

Be sure to check your stored batteries often. Sigh.

I needed one today and found two AA Duracell batteries dated 2017 had leaked. Also a 9 volt Duracell battery dated 2018 had leaked and the bottom was bulging. I know it's 2017 today but I would have thought they would have lasted until the end of the year at least. And the 9 volt should have another year left.

If I hadn't needed one and if I hadn't stored them in a clear-ish plastic container I would have never noticed.

I think I'm going to put batteries on my 'last minute' shopping list that I have. The list of things to run to the store for in an emergency warning...if we get one. I'll still keep a good supply on hand because I always do but I won't over do it unless I feel moved to do so.  

It's kind of a "rock and a hard place" huh?  We say to keep them stored up but if we can't rotate through them fast enough then they leak and are useless. It doesn't help that they can't even make it to the expiration date.

Fortunately, I only have one thing that uses 2...D size batteries and it is a yard tool. They last for 2+ years probably because I bring them in the house during the winter. Have you seen the price of size D batteries? No way would I stock up on them and have them leak.

I think I got a stinging on the last toilet paper I got too. My own fault though. It's the same brand (Northern) but I didn't notice it didn't say 'double roll' on it until I already opened it and was putting it away. It was only an 8 pack but still. At least they won't last long and I can replace them soon. LOL. They are little. No way am I dipping into my stash. I should have bought a bale of them the last time I was at Sam's Club. Betcha I will the next time I go. Bet I'll pay more attention to the packaging too!  I have TP stashed all over the house but when my supply under the sink runs low, I rush out and buy a little 8 pack.     :runcirclsmiley2:

Issues...I haz em. :blush: 

• Haha 1

Yessss!  Watch batteries! 

In the first place, time passes....a great deal of time passes... without my permision or notice.  Hmph!

The second thing.....we all know things are not lasting as long as they did in the 'good ole days'.  Actually, some technology is making that statement untrue.....but it still applies to things made cheaper and with less quality.  Hmph!

Since this summer has been a BLURRRR....I'm not sure if I told y'all this story.  If so, skip it.  :shrug:

Some weeks ago, in the middle of the Pulled-Ligaments-Foot Incident and the Pulmonary Embolism Incident and after my mom was in the ER about alleged Congestive Heart stuff.........my dad went into the ER and was kept on the same Observation Unit as DH had been recently.  Not quite admitted but not released either.  I ended up staying that night 'in town' with my mom.  I have a bag for these Parent Emergencies.  It augments my usual In-Town Get Home bags and my EveryDayCarry stuff in my pockets.

:shrug:   You'd expect I'd be prepared for anything.....   :buttercup:

Well one of the things I ALWAYS carry [besides my knives...LOL]  is a good and rarely used headlamp.  So as I was getting ready to read in bed a while, I got out the good headlamp.  I was SOOOOOOO VERRRRRRRY GLAD that I had not stored the three AAA batteries INSIDE that pricey device.  Yep, corroded!   And yes, I had another set of AAAs stored in a different location.  So yes, I was prepared....tho I had 3 less AAAs than I thot I did.

Bringing up the point.....that storing a whole large package of 10 or 20 batteries all together in their original packaging .....might not be a good idea.  If ONE is faulty and corrodes....it spreads.  :(    It is sometimes a bargain to buy batteries in the big multiple packs.  Should we repackage to prevent this?  If so, careful repackaging is necessary.  Here's a couple of sites with data........? 

http://www.wikihow.com/Store-Batteries

http://www.energizer.com/about-batteries/battery-faq

MtRider.....getting bored with :reading: and not having much Internet to do research......but energy will return .....eventually.  :shrug:

• Like 3
On 9/15/2017 at 10:15 PM, snapshotmiki said:

Well, our company is gone now.  I sure miss having them here.  They were excellent houseguests!  It's way too quiet now.  They were so happy to have a place to come to away from Irma, but they helped us out so much in return!  Just a little sad this evening.

It's wonderful that you could offer safe haven and that you were all of like-mindedness.  Blessings on all of you!

• Like 1

We keep a small, dark blue tote of various size batteries under a kitchen chair that isn't used at the kitchen table.  We use them  for  the remote for our tv moniter, smoke/fire alarms and gas detectors and a few old school flashlights.  Most all of our flashlights are the LED "work lights and "puck" lights and we have one that hangs on a kitchen cabinet door pull, one magnet type on the frig, one hanging on our back door, one at the head of our bed, one each on each of our living room lamps and one near the deep freeze on the enclosed porch.  Our headlamps are also LED's.  We've converted almost 100% to LED's even in our RV's.  The LED's just don't use the juice that the old school things use.  Had to replace the light bulb in my oven...wish I could have found an LED for that!  But I agree...trying to keep too many batteries stored up can cause issues.  We lost a set of walkie-talkies in our RV because we forgot to remove them one year :-(  Costly!

PS...we learned (and have found it to be true) that the AA's that are in the quality solar yard lights can stay powered up and ready for use if you need that size.

Edited by The WE2's
Added content

A friend called (they live on a farm) asking if I'd like some pears so we drove out and picked them up.  We got 4 large boxes.  Guess what we'll be doing after I get the rest of my green beans jarred up tomorrow! :-)  The Roma's and berries are all still in deep freezes.  God just keeps giving and giving...so what do you do, say no?  I think not if there's any way to avoid it.  Like we talked today..."God gives us good dirt to grow stuff in and people just throw food away".  My eggplant has done marveously in 5 gallon buckets...even Mr admitted he had his doubts! LOL  We're still picking green bell peppers and pole beans and I found a watermelon hiding under some grass!  We thought for sure those had given up the ghost.  Even the tomatoes look like they're wanting to make some more, there's several green ones and some blossoms...figure?  Started raining last night and lit's been raining off and on all day.  The garden will love it! LOL

• Like 4

Batteries...  Mil has always stored them in the frig. We do too and I haven't seen them leak. Hopefully I never will. 

Early this morning, 4am, I heard another winter visitor, screech owls. 

Last week, I turned the soil in the garden, leaving only the 4' square of tomatillos. They are still flowering and producing. 

Andrea gave me some fava beans and I am hoping the will help the soil. 

Today, I am going to plant our winter garden. 

Well, the day is breaking and I have a lot to do. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. 

• Like 2

I always try to remember to remove my batteries in less often used things too. Things like yard tools, summer fans, rarely used remotes etc. I found some of those tiny Ziploc type plastic bags at the craft store and use them to store the gently used batteries in.Then I either tape or rubber band the battery bag to the seasonal remotes. They last 2-3 seasons that way and I know what goes where.  

I think the next time I get another bathroom scale I'm going to switch over to one of those cheap spring type scales. The last one I got was a Weight Watchers type scale and it turned out to be more complicated than I need to deal with. When I finally got it figured out, after about 2 months, the battery died and I had to dig out the instructions and reset all over again. It's one of those things I don't use very often to keep the batteries from corroding. My eyesight isn't all that great any more either and trying to read those tiny unlighted numbers from 5.2 feet away isn't getting any easier. And how often do I really need all of that information? I can just look behind me and figure out my BMI for the day. :D

Good links Mt.Rider. I think I'll check out those no leak batteries when I need to start buying more. If I can find them. The two AA's that leaked were next to each other so I figured one set off the other one.

Annarchy, good idea about storing in the fridge. As it is now, I store the ones downstairs in a plastic box in a drawer and the ones upstairs in the same type of box in a closet. Oh, to have a one story house...

• Like 1

Soooooooooo...........  we had three days of glorious AUTUMN weather!  :hapydancsmil:

Then last nite.......  :runcirclsmiley2:  we got down to TWENTY DEGREES  :frozen:  

Gotta get the cat a pet heating pad this year....sooon!  She's 17 yrs old and we sleep with the temperatures set down too low for her skinny self.  She howls and DH gets up to start the pellet stove.  She's fine once the sun gets over our high eastern ridge.....sits in the window and sunbathes.  Her blanket cave just isn't enough anymore. 

And as the furnace kicks off, so do my sinus problems.  #1 allergy is dust/particulate matter.  Ugh!  Blows dust around this dusty cabin.  :yar:

MtRider .......Love fall but........WINTER cometh!  Aiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!

• Like 2

Autumn, 65* this morning!  I need to pull out my sweaters, too cool for me.  :grinning-smiley-044:

The gardens are planted:  Fava beans in one garden plot that grows miniature plants.  Black eyed peas, Detroit Red beets, parsnips, zucchini, tomatoes, carrots, radishes and spinach, then tapped a bunch of yellow onion seeds around the edge of the whole garden.  We shall see if I harvested and processed the tomato seeds right.  If not, I have more seeds ready and waiting. (I ran out of room.  :ph34r: Probably planted way too many seeds, for the 16'x8' plot.)

Now, I will be working on preparing for my monthly trip to TX on Wednesday.  

Time to get back at it.....

How is everyone else doing?

Doing fine up here. I mowed the lawn today. I went to KFC for a treat. I don't feel guilty about that fast food. I get one breast that I debone and skin before I eat it and a side of corn and green beans. Sometimes an added cole slaw side.

I forgot to go to K-Mart while I was out. I still need a dental pick. I have a small gap between two back teeth and food always gets between them. Drives me crazy---er.  I tried to get one at Wal-Mart and all they had was a kit with the pick, mirror, gum stimulator and something strange looking. It was over $11.00 and I didn't want to spend that much for stuff I wouldn't use. Ohhhh, I should try Dollar Tree first. I'll try there first this evening.

While out mowing I noticed my neighbors (the nice ones) 2 water barrels. He made a little enclosure around them. It looks very nice. It kind of looks like a little tool shed. I know what it is though because I know that's where the barrels are kept. It's built right up against their house by their garden. Very well thought out. I'll charge up my camera tonight and try to sneak a picture of it tomorrow.

• Like 1

Teeth... spaces... etc. I use toothpicks, dental floss and metal picks. Gotta keep the teeth I still have. Lol

While turning the soil in the big garden, I went to remove the celery,  but the roots were over a foot squared and bulbuls. So I moved it to the corner plot and sprinkled all the seeds I had collected around it.   The corner plot has piquine chili peppers and Queens Wreath which vines on the chain link fence. I am hoping it took the transplant and the seeds fill in. We use a lot of dried celery in so many dishes. 

DH started his annual contract, inspecting and cleaning weapons for one of the local law enforcement agencies, today. He won't finish until next week when I get back home. I do the invoice after he's done, in case he needs to get replacement parts. 

The pups were very good. They check the customer out, then left them alone. Grrr is trained but Gunny is still learning to "back off". No one likes a (big) dog all over them when they come to do business. 

Figuring out 'what's for dinner', pistachio pudding, bacon ranch potatoes and, beef something. 

• Like 1

I have been really blessed in the teeth issue department.  No cavities since about 2000.  I did crack two and had them pulled.  I was stressing and apparently clenching my teeth at night when my Buddy (schnauzer) was having big seizures.  That was rough! 

I am still catching up on rest since our handymen, I mean guests, left.  I worked the day after they left, then Church, etc. on Sunday and today I went to Walmart and Dollar Tree.  Hopefully, I will be home for a few days now.

Clyde hung hummingbird feeders on Friday and they found them today!  About 3 or 4 birds this morning and about a dozen this afternoon!  I made a double batch of sugar water and refilled the feeders this afternoon.  They are gone now.  Probably nursing little sugar hangovers in the surrounding trees!  I put our some fall flower decorations this afternoon.  I'm thinking of it as a rain dance since it was 90 when I was putting them out.  Hoping for the future!

I believe I will start some beans soaking tonight for crockpot bean soup tomorrow (with cornbread, of course).  I hope everyone has an excellent evening!

• Like 1

The older I get, the more my teeth float around. Kinda like an old horse.  :D

I have those dental floss on a stick things and I like them but I wanted a single pick for a fast poke. They last for nearly forever. I've been to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Dollar Tree, Big Lots, Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreens. Only Wal-Mart and Walgreens had the kits that were too expensive for what I want. I guess they last too long and are not disposable so they don't want to sell them. Suppose I'll try Amazon next.

• Like 1

Getting ready to jar up some more pears...they were a gift from friends who have about 50 acres and needed a home for their pears...3 box fulls! LOL  They picked and boxed for us so I've been jarring pears all day yesterday, some in preserves since hubby loves pear preserves...especially over ice cream sprinkled with chopped nut!) and the rest in heavy syrup..  After today's batch I'll probably dehydrate the rest.  With no central air (I did put a box fan blowing on me at the sink) it gets pretty hot in the kitchen.

101_0598.JPG

101_0597.JPG

101_0596.JPG

101_0595.JPG

101_0599.JPG

• Like 4

Today has been hectic so far.  DH was in the hospital with heart issues from Friday night to yesterday afternoon.  Being off schedule and being at the hospital with him has left a nice bunch of catching up to do around here.  I am taking a mini break for a few minutes right now. 

Fortunately DH only had a minor attack with little heart damage.  I am trying to keep him on  limited activity for a bit but he is outdoors already checking on his pecan crop and chickens.  I guess that is good I just don't want him to overdo it.  He's not a spring chicken anymore.

It turned back to hot summer about 3 days ago.  I got all excited about the cool weather 2 weeks ago but summer came back.  It has been in the upper 80's with humidity.  Yuk. Another week of this at least.

The garden is about finished ..just 3 tomato plants till producing.  We had a good tomato year but not much else.

Enjoy the day!

• Sad 1

Glad it was just minor damage and I hope you can slow him down a little, Momo!  It turned hot again here, also.  90 for several days in a row and lots of humidity!  And at least another week or so of the same.

I just finished mopping floors and there are a lot more of the in the new house.  Washed the front windows so we can get better photos of the dozens of hummingbirds that are hanging out here now.  Made another double batch of sugar water last night to fill this morning.  .

I've been really tired lately.  Don't think I've caught up on rest since the fellows left.  Not sleeping real well either.  Which is too bad as I was sleeping real well for a month or so before things got hectic!  I think part of my tiredness comes from running around like I'm still 45 and not accepting that I am actually 60.  I'm trying to slow down a little!

Prayers for Mr. Momo!   :pray:

Slow it down dude!

I ran a few more errands today. I think I have everything up to date and beyond. Some bills are due once a year (Sam's) or twice a year (Jeep ins.) and they are paid up. Mortgage is on a auto deduct account and I put enough in that account to get me to the end of the year. So, I can sail along for awhile with mostly utility bills and what ever I owe on the monthly charge card bills. I think my winter nesting urges are starting to kick in. Happens every fall.

I ended up at Wal-Mart and did some stocking up. I got another case of 1/2 gallon canning jars. I don't have any plans for them but somehow an empty jar soon fills up.

We've had rain for two days now. If it isn't raining it looks like it's getting to start. Temp in the mid 80's.

Praying your DH recovers from his heart issues, Momo. My DH has been doing well on his meds, he only takes them now when his heart goes crazy. Stresses me out when it happens. Remember to take a deep breath, say a prayer and try to remain calm. (Yeah right, easier said than done.)

Miki, try to take a 'you' day and relax if you can.  I'm constantly telling myself I am not as young as I was. 

Jeepers, sounds like you had a productive day. I paid bills today before heading to MIL's with the ferrets. DH is too busy to take care of them along with the dogs and chickens. 

The trip was quiet, not a lot of traffic. 

MIL has a list ready for me to do and we have a CoC meeting on Saturday. It's a bus tour to a big Ranch here. 

Time to to get some sleep. 

• Like 2