MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020 Corona Virus

Guest Joyfilled1

I thought the same thing about ordering from Amazon, etc. Hubby mentioned disinfecting the boxes, but cleaning the stuff inside hadn't occurred to me. Thank you!! 

We are ordering now.... hopefully overkill. I would much rather that. 

DH went to restock us.....don't forget T.P.   Has anyone heard what the symptoms are?  [I haven't listened to Midnight's vid yet...DH is napping]  With some illnesses, you use more T.P.   Just sayin'. 

We stocked up on fresh veggies and my system WANTS them.  Raw cuke, mushrooms, green peppers!  [WASH WELL!]  After our current siege,  DH and I are so much more vulnerable.  DRAT!  We don't GET microbe-sick!  Timing of this is rotten.  :pray:  Well, God's in control and we'll just try to do our part.  We are stocked up on Nyquil already.  Listerine.  Don't forget the use of a hot toddy....if you don't have reason to avoid all alcohol. 

Heard some suggestions for using the colloidal silver...  We have a bottle but have never tried it.  Anyone else use it?

Any disinfecting stuff will be good.  Bleach is stronger than the alcohol used in the "disinfecting wipes".  Even the Clorox brand of wipes is alcohol not bleach.  So is the sanitizing gels.  BUT....don't know if you NEED stronger for this virus.  You DO need bleach for the noroviruses....vomiting stomach virus.  But I haven't heard about corona viruses.  :shrug: 

Not good news to hear of shortages in areas that don't even have the virus yet.  'Course I can attest to the fact that OTHER viruses are rampant out there in U.S.  Flu A and B. 

AMAZON BOXES.....use mask and gloves to dump stuff out of the shipping boxes outside.  Split boxes and put into plastic trash bags.  Then sanitize or throw out any inner packages.  When you get down to the actual product, sanitize that too if possible.   Products were probably manufactured......in China .....before this virus started.  Hopefully before.... 

Attention Walmart Shoppers.....our products are often from CHINA....  :o 

Remember:  cash money is the worst for transferring germs.  My dad used to sanitize bills with a hot iron.   Swiping your credit card ...keep it in a plastic sandwich bag....then sanitizing it when you get home will be easier than handling cash. 

MtRider   :behindsofa:  

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Seems you could have this virus for days and not know you have it.  They say they are flu like symptoms when the virus starts to show.  Still checking things out..  Those videos were good info.  I checked out my supplies this morning to see if I needed to add anything. 

This is a list of what I have for a pandemic:

Gloves, mask, lysol both liquid and spray, bleach, paper towels, toilet paper (I am well stocked on those) full attic.  Also paper plates, paper cups, plastic silverware, pain reliever, fever reducer, food storage is good.  I do have water stored just in case though we are on city water, I still keep stored water, I also have canned water good for 50 years.(I get that from Brownells Inc.  A bit pricey but well worth it to not have to worry about it every 5 years.  Pack of 24 is 29.99. I try to buy about 2 cases every couple of months. So far I have 6 cases of water just for drinking. Hand sanitizer, baby wipes, cough syrup, elderberry syrup, cough drops, vicks vapor rub, emterol for vomiting, antiarrhia meds. hand soap with sanitizer in it. Also the wet wipes containing bleach and lysol for wiping down everything..  There are more things but this is all I can think of I have on hand right now.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mt_Rider said:

DH went to restock us.....don't forget T.P.   Has anyone heard what the symptoms are?  [I haven't listened to Midnight's vid yet...DH is napping]  With some illnesses, you use more T.P.   Just sayin'. 

We stocked up on fresh veggies and my system WANTS them.  Raw cuke, mushrooms, green peppers!  [WASH WELL!]  After our current siege,  DH and I are so much more vulnerable.  DRAT!  We don't GET microbe-sick!  Timing of this is rotten.  :pray:  Well, God's in control and we'll just try to do our part.  We are stocked up on Nyquil already.  Listerine.  Don't forget the use of a hot toddy....if you don't have reason to avoid all alcohol. 

Heard some suggestions for using the colloidal silver...  We have a bottle but have never tried it.  Anyone else use it?

Any disinfecting stuff will be good.  Bleach is stronger than the alcohol used in the "disinfecting wipes".  Even the Clorox brand of wipes is alcohol not bleach.  So is the sanitizing gels.  BUT....don't know if you NEED stronger for this virus.  You DO need bleach for the noroviruses....vomiting stomach virus.  But I haven't heard about corona viruses.  :shrug: 

Not good news to hear of shortages in areas that don't even have the virus yet.  'Course I can attest to the fact that OTHER viruses are rampant out there in U.S.  Flu A and B. 

AMAZON BOXES.....use mask and gloves to dump stuff out of the shipping boxes outside.  Split boxes and put into plastic trash bags.  Then sanitize or throw out any inner packages.  When you get down to the actual product, sanitize that too if possible.   Products were probably manufactured......in China .....before this virus started.  Hopefully before.... 

Attention Walmart Shoppers.....our products are often from CHINA....  :o 

Remember:  cash money is the worst for transferring germs.  My dad used to sanitize bills with a hot iron.   Swiping your credit card ...keep it in a plastic sandwich bag....then sanitizing it when you get home will be easier than handling cash. 

MtRider   :behindsofa:  

Mt. Rider,, we have a lot of the colloidal silver. Both the one you take for illness that we have not tried out yet and the soap. The soap is great.  With DH having skin cancer on both arms, I had him to use it and it made a big difference in how his skin was looking. Not rough like it was before using it. It won't cure skin cancer but does help the skin a lot. We also have a colloidal silver salve for cuts and that works really great. Just haven't been sick yet to warrent using the colloidal silver for illness yet.

• Like 5

Worst part of Amazon is sometimes they send old cans.  You have to check the date as you unpack, and be ready to send a photograph immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're just taking the same precautions we take for every winter's cold/flu season.  Avoid crowds (even crowded aisles in the stores!), wash hands frequently, and every morning we take Elderberry syrup, Echinacea, Moringa, ground flax seed and orange juice with our breakfast and inhale the fumes from Oregano Essential Oil.  We keep the disposable "wash cloths" (not always wipes) and clean our hands when we get back into the truck IF we've had to go out.  If we do go out, we keep our heads covered, gloves on, necks covered with a wrap, and we keep our mouths covered to avoid breathing in cold air.  I also use a moisturizer on my face to keep my skin lubricated.  EVERY evening we wash our faces, ears, necks, arms and those "other places".  We believe eating well balanced meals is a must if you're to stay healthy and staying clean.  Just how we do it around here, and we're not exposed to children or a work force.

• Like 4

Remember, bleach has a shelf life of about 6 months. Time to rotate the older stuff out. 

Last year I bought two small bottles of bleach at the Dollar Tree. After about 3-4 months there was white crusty stuff (dried bleach) escaping from under the cap of both bottles. I used them to clean toilets but glad I wasn't dependent on them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Worst part of Amazon is sometimes they send old cans.  You have to check the date as you unpack, and be ready to send a photograph immediately.

Ambergris if you are talking about the blue can water, It did not come from Amazon.  It doesn't comes from Amazon but from Brownell's.  It is called Blue can water.  They date it for you as to when it was canned and from that date it will be 50 year countdown.  the water is good but you do need to shake it up a bit to get the air moving in it again. 

Edited by Littlesister

Bleach...I heard today (I think on FOX?) that bleach won't work in hot water, that it must be used in cold or tepid water to be effective.  I do know that after a few years it can lose most or all of it's strength.  I keep those little bottles of Evolve bleach tablets...just in case.  One time I ran out of bleach so I put a tab in a small bleach bottle I keep under my kitchen sink for adding to my dish water...and it dissolved and made me a bottle of bleach.  It's not Clorox...but it is bleach.  I buy it at WM where the Borax and Washing Powder is at...laundry section. Be sure to check the reviews!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evolve-Bleach-Tablets-Ultra-Concentrated-Original-Scent-32-ct/31958722

Edited by The WE2's
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Ambergris if you are talking about the blue can water, It did not come from Amazon.  It doesn't comes from Amazon but from Brownell's.  It is called Blue can water.  They date it for you as to when it was canned and from that date it will be 50 year countdown.  the water is good but you do need to shake it up a bit to get the air moving in it again. 

No, I'm talking about soups and such.

Guest Joyfilled1
15 hours ago, Littlesister said:

They have confirmed 3 people in VA that has the virus but did not say where in VA. Still not much talk about it here. on the 3 in VA. So wondering if they are truly confirmed to have the coronavirus. 

Where did you hear that, LS? I find that it's like pulling teeth to get updated information....

This coronavirus is not yet a pandemic in the US yet and hope it won't be.  But this is what I am thinking.  Treat this like you would any virus. Keep your hands washed often with soap and water. Use antibacterial lotion when you can't wash your hands. In this case the ones that contain alcohol would be best.  When you get home wash your hands right then with soap and water. Use air born or one of the other ones that work best for you at first signs of a cold or sniffles.  I think our worst fears is if this does become a pandemic would be no food in grocery stores. They are showing it in China with not allowing people in or out of cities.  Could that happen here?  Maybe, but best thing to do would not to worry about the virus but to make sure you are well stocked on food, water, any medications you take, personal items, etc. Make it so you will not have to depend on a grocery store for at least 2 or 3 months.  Not finding that much info on this either. So this is the best thing to do at this point. 

• Like 3

Went to local grocery this morning and came home doing a practice decontamination. Holy cow, there's a lot to think about! Things I missed right off were my eyeglasses and bottom of shoes (should have taken them off outside), credit card. Few things I got right were disinfecting everything I touched on or in car, everything I brought in got wiped off and counters of course. I need to have a better set up to shower directly after coming in. Would have contaminated my bath robe. Clothes and jacket went right into washer after shower.

Could have been worse for a practice run and gave me plenty to think about and plan for. I'm not so worried about me getting sick as bringing it home to DH with low immune system. I'm sure I missed lots more but wanted to share how it went. Anyone else doing practice runs?

Guest Joyfilled1

One thing I don't understand....why aren't they telling us??? I would like to think that an informed population is a prepared population, but t I suppose maybe not. 

Over 100 cases being monitored in the US. When will they tell us what the outcome of that is? 

Hubby is going to work from home as able. Kids and I are organizing our preps, writing down what we have. I talked to family members around the world about prepping, knowing I would sound crazy to them.....I did. May God help us. 

I'm doing the same way as Littlesister. I have enough food here for a few months without going out. There will be some strange combinations but I won't starve. I'm going out tonight or tomorrow and top off a few things. I have errands to run anyway. I keep the Jeep gassed up in case I need to head to Indy. I can get there on one tank with just a little to spare.

The virus has flu like symptoms so I made sure I have OTC meds for that. They won't treat it, but hopefully make me more comfortable if I catch it. Or any other virus...again. Remember that list we made down in the Christmas thread? Uh-Huh.  

Here is that OTC med list:

Pepto

Immodium

Tums

Vitamin C

Halls cough drops

Zicam 

Gas X

Theraflu

Dayquil/Nyquil

Delsym cough syrup

Oscillococcinum

Temple thermometer

Pedialyte

Tylenol Children's

Delsym Children's

Elderberry lozenges

I'm adding Mucenex (sp) and some of those Breathe Right strips for the nose. They do help a little bit when you're trying to sleep with a stuffy nose. I'm going to stock up on some more tea and a smaller handier jar of honey.

• Like 4

A few more vids:

https://www.peakprosperity.com/coronavirus/?fbclid= (you MAY get a "warning for this link, so here is some info from it):

Wuhan coronavirus may have been transmitted to people from snakes

Jan 22, 2020

A new coronavirus that has claimed 17 lives in Wuhan, China, may have been transmitted to people from snakes, according to a genetic analysis. The snakes may have caught the virus from bats in the food market in which both animals were sold.

According to the WHO’s guidance document on pandemics, this new coronavirus is already well on its way to being a full-blown pandemic:

Who-Pandemic-2020-01-23_7-27-50.jpg

We are already at Phase 4.  Things get really serious at Phases 5 & 6.

“It’s Contained!”

Early reports on the media have been underselling the severity.  This is expected.

For some reason governments across the world long ago decided that ‘not panicking’ people was more important than providing timely, accurate, risk-balanced information.

The straight-up lying about the Fukushima disaster was one example.

China lied like crazy about the SARS outbreak a number of years ago. And they’re certainly being less than fully revealing about this outbreak.

Conclusion

We’re going to be tracking this on an hourly basis.  Wherever you live you should be taking standard precautions right now.  Stock up on food, get yourself proper face masks, and be prepared should you need to be locked down for days/weeks.

The chance of that happening in your country may yet be small (for now), but it’s well above zero.  So, don’t screw around with this one.

This is the most serious pandemic-worthy risk we’ve come across since SARS.

Of course, as we’ve long advised, you should always be prepared for such an event anyway as part of being a prudent adult.

My own personal remedy kit includes a hefty supply of elderberry syrup which I make from dried berries.  You can buy it as well.  For those who are scientifically-minded there are numerous peer-reviewed, double blind studies showing that elderberry syrup has pronounced anti-viral activities.

See here and here as well as here.

No, elderberry syrup does not prevent one from getting the flu or a cold. But it does knock the symptoms in half, and it reduces the recovery time by half which means it gives you much better odds: 50% x 50% = 25%

With only a quarter of the ‘experience’ a patient has a much better chance for survival, I figure.  I have no idea if it works on this coronavirus, but elderberry syrup has prevented me from getting a full-blown flu or any serious cold for more than a decade.  I swear by it.

Beyond that, your best chance of avoiding catching something involves staying away from people, washing your hands fastidiously, wearing a mask when you have to be around others, properly shaming those idiots who proudly show up to events/work sick and coughing, not touching public surfaces (railings, knobs, etc), and never, ever wiping your eyes or touching your nose or mouth before washing your hands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1