MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020 Corona Virus

This is one time I am REALLY glad that we can pay our bills online through our bank!  I don't like having to stay inside all the time, but with this junk swirling around...even the different types of influenza...one really has to be cautious. If we are out we really pay attention to anyone around us...if they cough, sneeze, are wiping their nose's or are in the medicine aisle!...we turn and go the other way.  

• Like 3

They just did an update on our local news. 178 passengers landed late last night and are now being housed at Travis AFB and will be quarantined for 14 days from the time they left the Hubei district. One child on the flight had a fever on the plane and is at a local hospital being monitored. There were actually a total of 350 people brought out on two flights. The remaining people are being flown to Miramar Marine Corp Air Station. Hopefully everyone will stay well....

• Like 4

Okay....Ambergris' TenCent article will be horrifying if true.  Certainly might be true.  Unfortunately...  :sigh:   Cuz tho I'm trying to be optimistic, I go back to my original question:  WHAT would cause ThePowersThatBe in CHINA [of all places] to risk economic disaster by immediately locking in tens of millions [or is it more?]  of people and areas?   There is nothing quiet about that caliber of activity.  PLUS....these international EVACUATIONS of diplomats/citizens.  Costly and hard to arrange in that chaos.  Glad they are doing that tho.  Get immediate modern care once they reach here...if they find they need it. 

Still hoping that if hospitals are not overrun in countries besides China, those that go into pneumonia, etc will get care quickly.  And that it will make the difference in most of the critical cases.  Odd thing....I just learned earlier today what ARDS  and "require ECMO support" are...  NOT GOOD.  [They were in the memo Momato3's memo.]

MtRider   :pray: 

• Like 3

Two of the grocery stores in town are shutting down, meaning people will be concentrated in the other ones.  Lovely.

Meanwhile, I saw a video that the crematoria in Hubei etc are running 24/7, and relatives are not getting a chance to say goodbye before their loved ones are cremated.  Cremation takes 1-3 hours.  Even at three hours, even if they only had a three-slot crematorium, 500 bodies wouldn't take that long.

Edited to add:  that's two MORE of the grocery stores in town.  We already lost Winn Dixie and the hippie co-op.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Sad 4

I had experience with health care facilities yesterday. At the doctors office there was only one "healthy looking" person in the waiting room when when I walked in. By the time I finished at the check-in desk he was already called back in. So no one but me sitting in the waiting room. Not one person except for me had on a mask. No one. Doctors, nurses, blood drawer, receptionists, patients...no one. The receptionist asked if I was sick with flu symptoms, had a fever or been out of the country. I answered, honestly "no" to each question. Turned out I did have a low grade fever! Just 99 but still. Possible kidney infection. I asked the nurse if they had many people come in with the flu and she said just 2-3 at the beginning of the year. 

Then I went to the hospital for a CT scan. The only person there who wore a mask was the receptionist and she only wore a surgical mask. It was about 5:00 in the afternoon and the waiting room was empty. Only me. The technician didn't wear a mask. 

So, not one person in the doctors office wore a mask. Only one person (receptionist) at the hospital wore a mask. 

If I had been infected and not worn a mask, I could have done some damage. Wonder if there were any people walking around with no symptoms and no mask? 

By the way, I did feel dumb with the mask on. I got some strange looks. I'll get over it. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Meanwhile, I saw a video that the crematoria in Hubei etc are running 24/7, and relatives are not getting a chance to say goodbye before their loved ones are cremated.  Cremation takes 1-3 hours.  Even at three hours, even if they only had a three-slot crematorium, 500 bodies wouldn't take that long.

I would be interested in knowing what their normal operations are, and when there's a possibility of a pandemic, what does "saying goodbye" normally consist of in their culture.  There might be a good reason not to let people say goodbye to someone who died of coronavirus, especially if it involves physical contact.

• Like 5

I saw a neurologist today, and due to the parking situation had to walk the length and breadth of the hospital, plus going down one elevator to the ground floor in the Dogwood Building so I could switch elevators and go up the elevator in the Azalea Building.  A good sprinkling of people had the regular blue folded-paper masks on.  I rode an elevator with two young women in scrubs, no masks, and asked them if they were worried about corona virus.  They both laughed and said "No!" 

Then kept laughing as I got off the elevator.

Interesting.

Good news is, I am capable of walking the length and breadth of the hospital! Not so long ago, that would have floored me.

• Like 5

Yay, Ambergris.  Improvement....such a lovely word! 

I saw several adults and children in masks at the doc office yesterday.  None of the folks working there.  They have adult/child masks available at desk.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3

All the doctors offices we have been in over the past 2 months, no one was wearing a mask. Though as far as we know we are still safe here as no cases anywhere near our area. But that is subject to change.

I was watching the world news earlier and they said about 600 has died in China from this Virus. Also the whistle blower, a doctor that told about the virus in the beginning made the government mad about letting the cat out of the bag. He caught the virus and has died. Was in hospital for 8 days before passing away.  The more I read and hear on the news, the more I am beginning to think China engineered this virus and let it loose on the population.  I know there are crazy things going on over there and they don't have enough food to feed all the people there. Can't say if that is true or not but something about this smells bad. 

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Guest Joyfilled1 said:

Have y'all heard about the cruise in NJ? :runcirclsmiley2:

Could you please give more information.

Cruise ship in Japan has had a increase of positive tests I believe there are 61 cases now and they are awaiting results from a further 100 tests.

Not heard anything about the ship in Italy so hopefully no more new cases there.

A 3rd case in the UK. contracted it in Singapore, self quarantined when he got home but has tested positive so has been transferred to a hospital in London.

Death rate is over 630 with a increase of infected.

Saw on face book about the doctor who first  questioned the amount of illnesses had died, he was a Dad and his wife is expecting there second child. Also seen a second doctor had died aged28 it is said he died from exhaustion, wondering how many more medical staff have died and it having not been reported.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Died from exhaustion at 28 years old. From doctoring? I suppose it could happen. :rolleyes:

His death certificate probably says 'exhaustion '  I heard where a lot of the elderly who have died have 'pneumonia' as a cause of death. No doubt bought on by the flu. But they aren't counted as a flu statistic.

As an aside, I heard where John Deere was closing their factory in China. Guess where our farmers machinery parts come from? 

• Like 2
Guest Joyfilled1
58 minutes ago, ro2935 said:

Could you please give more information.

Cruise ship in Japan has had a increase of positive tests I believe there are 61 cases now and they are awaiting results from a further 100 tests.

Not heard anything about the ship in Italy so hopefully no more new cases there.

A 3rd case in the UK. contracted it in Singapore, self quarantined when he got home but has tested positive so has been transferred to a hospital in London.

Death rate is over 630 with a increase of infected.

Saw on face book about the doctor who first  questioned the amount of illnesses had died, he was a Dad and his wife is expecting there second child. Also seen a second doctor had died aged28 it is said he died from exhaustion, wondering how many more medical staff have died and it having not been reported.

I guess there is a cruise ship in NJ, and they've taken 4 people to a hospital to be tested for Coronavirus. The medics were NOT wearing protective gear, and from what I understand, they let the rest of the people roam free. 

Here are some links:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/07/us/coronavirus-cruise-ship-new-jersey/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-cruise-ship-passengers-screened-bayonne-new-jersey-today-2020-02-07/#

Guest Joyfilled1
42 minutes ago, Guest Joyfilled1 said:

I guess there is a cruise ship in NJ, and they've taken 4 people to a hospital to be tested for Coronavirus. The medics were NOT wearing protective gear, and from what I understand, they let the rest of the people roam free. 

Here are some links:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/07/us/coronavirus-cruise-ship-new-jersey/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-cruise-ship-passengers-screened-bayonne-new-jersey-today-2020-02-07/#

That being said, they don't KNOW that they have the virus....not sure why they are pulling them off. I also read that Royal Caribbean is banning anyone with a Chinese passport from boarding their ships. I wonder why not say anyone that's been in China for the last say....month or so? Seems racist to only ban Chinese people when others have been there too and may have gotten it.... :shrug:

Reported on Sky News that  a male in his 40s in the Philippines has died, first case out of China.

There are close to 1700 infected now.

I wonder how long it takes for the virus to burn out of the body so the person can be considered recovered.

On a separate note a farm in China is having birds slaughtered because of bird flu.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Guest Joyfilled1
1 hour ago, ro2935 said:

Wow can't believe the EMT are moving people who have the potential medical condition to infect many, without wearing face masks or protective clothing, hope they don't get sick and put there families lives at risk.

I thought the same thing. Thing is, we may not know for 2 weeks.

Seems there are EMP's that have not been taught about protection from these things. I pray he does not come down with it and passes it to his family and everyone else. New Jersey is getting way to close to my end of VA. People travel from there to here a lot. I decided not to go to the family night of Dr. Matt.  Some of the ones that came in from Japan, flew in yesterday and this morning. There has been a rise in Japan with this virus and I decided staying home and just talking with Dr. Matt's wife by phone  was enough. Not taking that chance where DH is concerned. He would not survive that virus.  And I have an auto immune issue.  So best to just stay home.  As it is, I do have the sniffles which I think are just allergies acting up. But still not chancing it. Besides. I did have fever a couple days ago but it went away. So if Dr. Matt's brother or sister and any others of his family are here and they get a fever, they would not be allowed to go back to Japan but be in quarantine. Not worth the risk. 

Cruise ship also in Japan as well with the virus as well. So glad I made the right choice.

• Like 4

I am hearing now that the mask is no protection from coronavirus.  I am trying to track down whether this is because it can be caught via the eye, or whether this is just mouths flapping, or  what.

• Like 2