MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020 Corona Virus

19 minutes ago, snapshotmiki said:

I found quite a few Alerts USA apps.  Which one are you using?  I have an Android phone.

I also have an Android phone.  I am using Alerts USA/ Homeland Security.  It cost $49.95 a year.  Right now it just told me that they are monitoring a response to possible active shooter situation, Dry Dock S. Norfolk Naval Shipyard.  That is not that far away from us. It then goes to your e-mail address to tell you more when they get the u-dates as well as by cell phone text.  

• Thanks 1

I read in an email today that every time a person tests positive for the virus on that ship, the quarantine process starts all over again. They just keep adding 14 more days. I think the email was citing an NPR program. 

It's pretty awful. Some of the cabins are 'inside' rooms with no windows. They are rotating all the people to go on deck for fresh air. 

It said each room has a thermometer so they can check their own temperature to see if they have a spike. Hummm. That's a lot of thermometers. They must be getting supplies air lifted or dinghy-ed in. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
10 hours ago, Jeepers said:

e quarantine process starts all over again. They just keep adding 14 more days.

That would be like a gruesome reality show.  You're counting down to the finish and at day 3..... DING!  And the countdown is reset BACK TO FOURTEEN AGAIN!   I get buggy being in my small cabin with Pouring Down Snow almost every day.  I sometimes just cruise around my house and look out all the windows..   :sassing: 

MtRider  :animal0017:

• Like 2

Any cases actually being confirmed from Africa or Mexico?  Seems like there were folks traveling there with people with suspected cases.  That was awhile back I read that, though.

Also read that "they" think the virus may be communicable up to 21 days instead of 10 to 14.  I've read so much that it all runs together.

• Like 1

Miki, I also heard 21 days but don't know if that's been confirmed yet.

USA Alerts states that the state dept. authorizes voluntary departure of non emerg  USGOV employees  and families from US Consulate Hong Hong out of an abundance of caution due to the coronavirus. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Littlesister said:

out of an abundance of caution

Hmph.  An abundance of caution might be just the right amount of caution, for petes sake!  I'm for bringing our citizens home.  Even if I have to be their "neighbor" for a while.  Take ALL the precautions once they get here, of course!

Agreed, Jeepers.  And it never looks good if you kill off other countries' diplomats, etc....even inadvertently.  :busted:

TWENTY-ONE days......um....  I hope they PROVE/DISPROVE that quickly!!!!  I've seen that on Hal Turner site but.....  :unsure:  

I want to know how long on a surface this virus can survive.....does that vary from wet or dry surface????  Many virus is 3-5 days.  Is that true of THIS one?

DH found somewhere that it prefers cold to heat......  A typical winter virus then?  Not verified fact yet tho...

I think "airborne" is a factor now....tho I can't give a definitive source for that....sorry.  'Airborne' doesn't mean flying spit [ahem].  It means floating in air in bitty particles that will go thru air ducts of buildings. It means it HANGS in the air.   Anyone see this on a reliable source???

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Been looking....  Found a maybe good source of data.  :unsure: 

A team in Germany has been studying coronaviruses IN GENERAL  NOT novel CoV  - aka: Wuhan virus. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2020/02/09/scientists-predict-coronavirus-may-live-for-up-to-nine-days-on-surfaces/#1444554f14e3

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"The review found that on average, coronaviruses can live on surfaces for between four and five days, but some could survive for up to nine days outside of the body at room temperature. ............SNIP...........

“Low temperature and high air humidity further increase their lifespan,” said Kampf.

It is important to note that the review article only took into account data from other types of coronaviruses like SARS and MERS to make their conclusions as no data of this type currently exists on nCoV2019, the strain in the current outbreak. Despite this, the authors predict that nCoV2019 is likely to be similar to previous coronaviruses in terms of its ability to live outside of the body and sensitivity to disinfectants.

"Different coronaviruses were analysed, and the results were all similar," said Steinmann.

However, the good news from the study is that if nCoV2019 is similar to SARS and MERS, it is likely to be sensitive to disinfectants such as those containing alcohol, sodium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorite, the latter of the two of which are common ingredients in household bleach. When used at appropriate concentrations, these chemicals have been shown to be effective against previous coronavirus strains.

=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

BOLD mine

And from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/about/transmission.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

CDC is not yet saying this is  "airborne"  .....  So we can HOPE/PRAY it is not.  And keep watching cuz if that factor changes, way more protocols have to be enacted!!!  If it's not airborne, the 6-10' of social distancing [out of reach of cough and sneeze spit] is recommended.  And/or wear mask/eye protection and DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE.  Wash/sanitize hands constantly if you're out and about.  Remember also, we DO still have a couple nasty versions of usual flu out there.

MtRider  ......I'd probably like to keep just ahead of the CDC recommendations tho....  :tinfoilhatsmile:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

I've heard those terms interchangeably.... airborne because the virus is in particles small enough to float in the air for long periods of time...it's aerosol.   Do you know where you found "aerosol"? 

....OTOH, I might be wrong on that so....  :shrug:  

Still, I hope you didn't find "aerosol".....  :unsure: 

MtRider  ....don't mind me - I'm ill again today

• Sad 1

Here is a quote that ......doesn't bode well.  But I suppose it was inevitable:

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-11/coronavirus-emergency-holds-a-very-grave-threat-for-world-who

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

referred to "some concerning instances of onward transmission from people with no travel history to China", citing cases this week in France and Britain. Five British nationals were diagnosed with the coronavirus in France, after staying in the same ski chalet with a person who had been in Singapore.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

BOLD is mine

So...we're starting to get more links in the chain......that eventually leads back to Wuhan. 

MtRider  :pray: 

• Sad 1
On 2/10/2020 at 6:33 PM, Littlesister said:

This just in from Alerts USA

San Diego, Co. health auth. announce confirmed case of 2019 nCoV being treated at UCSD Med Ctr hillcrest.  Unknown if case was Wuhan evcuee sent to MCAS Miramar.

This was on my local news last night...they said the confirmed case was accidentally released and brought back but supposedly was not around any public at any time. 

Edited by dogmom4
  • Sad 2

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.06.20020974v1.full.pdf

If you scroll to page four it has some interesting information: 

Abstract
Background: Since December 2019, acute respiratory disease (ARD) due to 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) emerged in Wuhan city and rapidly spread throughout China. We sought to delineate the clinical characteristics of these cases.
Methods: We extracted the data on 1,099 patients with laboratory-confirmed 2019-nCoV ARD from 552 hospitals in 31 provinces/provincial municipalities through January 29th, 2020.
Results: The median age was 47.0 years, and 41.90% were females. Only 1.18% of patients had a direct contact with wildlife, whereas 31.30% had been to Wuhan and 71.80% had contacted with people from Wuhan. Fever (87.9%) and cough (67.7%) were the most common symptoms. Diarrhea is uncommon. The median incubation period was 3.0 days (range, 0 to 24.0 days). On admission, ground-glass opacity was the typical radiological finding on chest computed tomography (50.00%). Significantly more severe cases were diagnosed by symptoms plus reverse-transcriptase polymerase-chain-reaction without abnormal radiological findings than non-severe cases (23.87% vs. 5.20%, P<0.001). Lymphopenia was observed in 82.1% of patients. 55 patients (5.00%) were admitted  to  intensive  care  unit  and 15  (1.36%)  succumbed.  Severe  pneumonia  was  independently associated  with  either  the admission  to  intensive care  unit, mechanical  ventilation,  or  death  in multivariate  competing-risk  model  (sub-distribution  hazards  ratio,  9.80;  95%  confidence  interval, 4.06  to  23.67).
Conclusions:  The  2019-nCoV  epidemic  spreads  rapidly  by  human-to-human  transmission.  Normal radiologic  findings  are  present  among  some  patients  with  2019-nCoV infection.  The  disease  severity (including  oxygen  saturation,  respiratory  rate,  blood  leukocyte/lymphocyte  count and chest X-ray/CT manifestations)  predict poor  clinical  outcomes. 

medRxiv preprint doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.02.06.20020974. The copyright holder for this preprint (which was not peer-reviewed) is the author/funder, who has granted medRxiv a license to display the preprint in perpetuity.
It is made available under a CC-BY-NC-ND 4.0 International license .

Key words: 2019 novel coronavirus; acute respiratory disease; transmission; mortality; risk factor
Abstract: 249 words; main text: 2677 words
Funding: Supported by Ministry of Science and Technology, National Health Commission, National Natural Science Foundation, Department of Science and Technology of Guangdong Province

• Like 3

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/870/
More cases on the cruise ship in Japan.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200212_37/

This is something about the 24 day incubation period...says there was one case.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200212_30/
A quarantine official has also been confirmed to have the new corona virus.

The ministry says virus tests for 53 more people came back positive for 29 passengers and 10 crewmembers.

They include a girl aged ten to nineteen-years-old, the first patient in this age bracket.

• Like 3

Hello, fellow mushrooms!  It turns out that in the US, some states have decided you do not need to know someone is being tested for coronavirus in your state.  Only whether someone has been confirmed positive.  And, from a prior article, we know the CDC is over a week behind in testing because of overwhelming volume.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-ne-coronavirus-privacy-20200207-zcyt7b7y7vg6lcs4js5ezjha3a-story.html

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
7 hours ago, dogmom4 said:

This was on my local news last night...they said the confirmed case was accidentally released and brought back but supposedly was not around any public at any time. 

That's why I like USA Alerts.  I get the info before it hits TV, even if they didn't want the info published. They are homeland security. So I get that info way before the public. 

• Like 1

Dogmom4, that is a lot of great information there. Thank you for posting it. 

Lisa Bedford from Survival Mom sent me an e-mail on some good cleaning products that can kill viruses and bacterial illnesses. She said it could kill  this virus on surfaces as well.  It is pricey, but seems to be worth it. It is called Oxivir TB in both wipes and spray. It has a one minute kill claim and uses a powered by accelerated hydrogen peroxide technology. I went ahead and bought some to try. Got both the spray and the wipes. Will put some wipes in a zip lock bag to carry to store to wipe down the cart. Not all the stores have the wipes and sometimes the ones that do are out.  She said you do have to be careful with it on wood surfaces. But for door knobs, sinks and such would be great. It is also food safe. So I can wipe down my counter tops with it as well. The article also states that if you are wanting to make your own disinfecting spray using hydrogen peroxide you would need 7.5 percent or higher.  Don't know where I could get that percentage of it. Maybe a medical supply.

Also Colloidal Silver has great antibacterial properties to kill MRSA and Staph but will not kill viruses or Coronavirus. 

The kill claim for alcohol is 10 minutes which means it has to stay on the surface damp for 10 minutes before it will kill anything. 

As for Lysol, which I use a lot for bacterial infections will not kill a virus type of infection. 

Bleach is great if you can stand the smell and you must be careful with it.  DH has asthma so I cannot use bleach if he is around. He will get choked up and have to grab his inhaler. So I don't use it when he's home. I send him to market so I can bleach down the bathrooms sometimes. At least there he has people that will keep an eye on him and not let him fall. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone have any thoughts about the use of those light wand things that is supposed to kill germs? I don't know what they are called. I remember them from a long time ago. Something about passing the light over an object to kill germs. :shrug:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Does anyone have any thoughts about the use of those light wand things that is supposed to kill germs? I don't know what they are called. I remember them from a long time ago. Something about passing the light over an object to kill germs. :shrug:

Ultraviolet.  https://www.ledinside.com/news/2020/2/uvled_coronavirus

Sporox is the 7.5%.  $90 for five gallons.  Requires six minutes at room temperature.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 1

On the topic of airborne or just cough particles.....a quote from this article by Hong Kong’s leading public health epidemiologist.  Prof Gabriel Leung, the chair of public health medicine at Hong Kong University

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/11/coronavirus-expert-warns-infection-could-reach-60-of-worlds-population

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Scientists still do not know for sure whether transmission is through droplets from coughs or possibly airborne particles. “It’s rather difficult to do that kind of careful detailed work when everything is raging. And unless it is raging you are unlikely to get enough confirmed cases,” he said. “In Sars we never had the chance to do these kinds of studies.”

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-==-=

MtRider  :sigh: ...but he has a point.  Detection of that difference would be difficult.   :pray:  

• Like 2

Dogmom's article about the inspector who caught the virus on the cruise ship in Japan..... Why wasn't he wearing more protection?  Mask.....what, surgical gaping mask???  Ignorance or carelessness.....gotta stop.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The ministry says the quarantine official was on the ship on February 3 and 4. He entered passengers' rooms to retrieve questionnaires and take their temperatures. He wore a protective mask and gloves.

Edited by dogmom4
Didn’t edit
  • Sad 2

Alerts USA reports CDC reports second confirmed case of coronavirus being treated at a San Diego County hospital  awaiting additional details

Chinese gov. reports sharp rise in coronavirus cases in Hubel province. 14,840 new cases today and 242 deaths.  US equity futures in steep decline.  monitoring.  I should be getting more detail through e-mail shortly.

• Sad 4