MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020 Corona Virus

I have been watching the Chinese outbreak, and now there's a patient in the US.  It might be old, it might be new. It might have mutated from SARS. it can be spread between people and back and forth between people and animals.  It might or might not be a big deal in the US.

Here's an explanation and a chronology as far as we know now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_outbreak_of_novel_coronavirus_(2019-nCoV)

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don't trust the CDC.  Have a friend that had to take early retirement (like at 35?) because she worked for them and got exposed to "something"...that she can't talk about.  Then my first husband passed away because the pneumonia shot he took wasn't the "current" kind.  Now several of my friends and family are down with the flu because it's "a different strain" of flu than what the shot was to be for.  Every year we see them battle this stuff...selling people on taking shots that prove to not be worth a dingle...and they want me to trust them for a shingles shot?

• Like 3

I get notices from Alerts USA. China has suspended bus, rail transport in/out Huanggang.  Also there are 3 cases in the USA confirmed. First one is in Seattle Washington, Second one in Chicago and third one in Texas. Not real sure that the one in Taxes was confirmed yet. But it says that 63 other patients in 22 states that returned from Wuhan China are under investigation for this virus. That is not yet confirmed from what I can tell. 

Right now I am just following the news and getting the usa alerts. That is a paid alerts system that I have been using now for about 3 years. I get info before you hear it on TV. So if something is happening near me, I will know ahead of time to avoid that area. 

Reading the above from GC's post. I would say this is a good reason to be well stocked on food and anything else we use on a daily basis. Hoping it does not get that bad here. 

• Like 3

I don’t want to be concerned but every time I read something I feel a little more concerned. I live in a very international community because of the local university and my classroom has kids from many other countries. Right now the preschool I work at has had a bug rolling through for the past two weeks that has made everyone sick (I’m home today with it)...we’ve had classes with as few as 6 kids...instead of 16. Our district finally put out a notice to all families that they have to have a doctors note to return to class and are cleaning our classrooms this weekend. We had one child return yesterday from China after being there for two weeks. Makes me really nervous. 
Why would China quarantine such a large city if the death toll is only 25? Is it because it’s happening faster than normal or perhaps those numbers aren’t true?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On the news (tv) so can't down load a link that Wuhan province is building a hospital which will be completed Monday that will. have 1000 beds. This has made me twitchy that they need medical facility so fast after putting the city on lock down. There has been 14 people tested in the UK thankfully they are all negative, but feel it will only be a matter of time before the virus is detected here. France has 2 confirmed cases. Very little is being said about this virus 2 separate reported statments states that incubation period is 4 days and 10 days, but not exactly how it has been transmitted. Is it airborne or from contaminated material, just not enough information for my liking. Time to buckle up, it looks like it could be a bumpy ride.

stay safe and well people.

Edited by ro2935
Mis spelling
  • Like 4

Quotes from TheCG's article:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

One person wrote on Chinese social media: "Right now people are fighting over supplies. Soon they may just be fighting."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-

"To my knowledge, trying to contain a city of 11 million people is new to science. It has not been tried before as a public health measure, so we cannot at this stage say it will or will not work," he said.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

:(

Hi Ro  :wave:   Glad to get your perspective from UK.  I totally agree with questions about WHY such drastic measures are being taken. 

I also heard about the instant hospital in Wuhan.  Culturally, it's not acceptable to look bad/fail.  So not showing all the 'cards' in their hand  is not surprising. 

2 hours ago, dogmom4 said:

We had one child return yesterday from China after being there for two weeks. Makes me really nervous. 
Why would China quarantine such a large city if the death toll is only 25? Is it because it’s happening faster than normal or perhaps those numbers aren’t true?

Agreed, Dogmom.  Lot of unanswered questions right now.  Child returning from China....  :pray:     Can you stay home 'sick' for as long as it takes, friend?  :hug3:  

My perspective is.........

1)  if the incubation period for this is that long...and it seems to be....we could be in REAL trouble if the mortality rate is higher than they're reporting OR it rises as this goes on.  :behindsofa: 

2)  prepared folks in those cities are going to be real glad of anything they have stocked up.  :ph34r:   If anyone living anywhere else isn't stocked up on Over-The-Counter stuff for flu/virus/etc.......do it now!  BEFORE there is a run on that stuff where YOU live!  It takes one RUMOR to clear out the shelves.

DH and I have been sick for 2 weeks and when we do go in for 'scripts, he's been keeping us stocked up on sick-food, OTC's like Nyquil, Paper Products like Kleenex, paper towels, T.P. and .....fresh foods cuz we're TIRED of canned quick-fix stuff by now.  He's doing another run tomorrow.  He needs his HOT spice foods like kim chee.  It keeps him feeling better.  {to each his own}  :rolleyes:  We have a good supply of masks....and I've used on every time I've had to go to the doc. 

Remember the rule:  If everyone is getting anxious....for real reasons or not.....DON'T BE THERE! 

MtRider  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3
Guest Joyfilled1

I just saw this thread, sorry I started the other one... feel free to delete! (Or do I need to do that?)

Hubby bought gloves, masks, Lysol wipes. Is refusing to fly and instead will drive 11 hrs (and around Chicago) to a work meeting in MO. I have to admit, I sighed a sigh of relief. We're also restocking shelves with food and medical supplies. Thankfully he works for a company that is okay with him working from home, especially in cases like this. We live in the country, have a few chickens....hope to have bottle calves in the spring, and I would love to add a milking cow....not sure I'm up for that amount of work, plus homeschooling 3 other kids and an infant. Still, we feel better prepared than most, and yet so not ready..... :(

May God be with the people in China....and other nations affected.... including our own. 

RO2935, it was on the news here about the hospital being built. Should be done in about a week they said.  I have been trying to find info about this virus. It is spread person to person through the skin. A lot like flu is transmitted. They say to keep your hands washed with soap and water and if you can't do that then to use hand sanitizer. Also I am thinking and I have seen people here doing it is wearing a mask, like a surgical mask when going out in public. Some are doing it to prevent getting the flu. Might be like my daughter. She is unable to get a flu injection as she is allergic to it. Bad reaction.

I have started reading Alton's Antibiotics and infectious disease.  It does not mention this disease but has a lot of very good info about how to deal with these type of things.  If we ever have an outbreak here. We are set as far as not leaving the house for a long time. Can't afford for DH to come down with this with his heath issues. He would not survive it.

Also heard that a 35 year old man who was otherwise very healthy, came down with the coronavirus and died. But not sure of where. May have been in China. It also mentioned on news tonight that there are 22 other states here that people may have come down with it. So that has basicly been confirmed. But the tally is not fully in on that. 

• Like 2

Don't worry about duplicate threads, Joyfilled.  They happen all the time.  No problem.  Usually, one will focus on one angle, while the other focuses on another angle.  Both become useful in different ways.

• Like 1
Guest Joyfilled1
17 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

Don't worry about duplicate threads, Joyfilled.  They happen all the time.  No problem.  Usually, one will focus on one angle, while the other focuses on another angle.  Both become useful in different ways.

Thanks, Amber. :)

I really don't like where this is going, no matter what angle it is, haha! Our kids prayed for the people in China today....and all the other countries that have gotten it too.

None of it makes sense. Numbers are up to over 1000 cases and around 42 dead (including a doctor that contracted the virus from patients. So sad for them all....but what about the millions of people that aren't prepared and now have to be quarantined??? What will happen to them? May God be with them. May God be with us all.

Thanks midnight Mon the link covered all I had been looking for, incubation period, non symptomatic period, possibility of infection from light switches door handles food packages, had not thought about the toilet seats.

There has been a coughing virus that has been going about in my area before Christmas, people had a horrific cough that lasted 2-6 weeks Gps were advising over the counter meds and stay warm, where ever you went people were coughing and feeling miserable, cough medicine did little to relieve the symptoms i have given up using commercial products and was using my Nanas medicine lemon juice, honey and a measure of brandy it didn't do much for the cough but it helped me to sleep.

This morning news report 41 deaths, 3 cases in France and undisclosed number being tested in the UK,

i think it is time to buy more bleach and paper products to replace what was used in December. I dread to think how people here would react if they were told they were under quarantine order, I don't think most have a week's groceries at home, my neighbours seem to order food take out most nights.

• Confused 1
Guest Joyfilled1
11 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Posted this in both threads.

Definitely not what I wanted to hear. He's good though. I pray this all goes away quickly!! 

Thanks for posting, I'll be sharing!

Guest Joyfilled1
3 hours ago, ro2935 said:

Thanks midnight Mon the link covered all I had been looking for, incubation period, non symptomatic period, possibility of infection from light switches door handles food packages, had not thought about the toilet seats.

There has been a coughing virus that has been going about in my area before Christmas, people had a horrific cough that lasted 2-6 weeks Gps were advising over the counter meds and stay warm, where ever you went people were coughing and feeling miserable, cough medicine did little to relieve the symptoms i have given up using commercial products and was using my Nanas medicine lemon juice, honey and a measure of brandy it didn't do much for the cough but it helped me to sleep.

This morning news report 41 deaths, 3 cases in France and undisclosed number being tested in the UK,

i think it is time to buy more bleach and paper products to replace what was used in December. I dread to think how people here would react if they were told they were under quarantine order, I don't think most have a week's groceries at home, my neighbours seem to order food take out most nights.

Hi!

Just curious....what paper products do you mean? 

41 minutes ago, Guest Joyfilled1 said:

Hi!

Just curious....what paper products do you mean? 

The Dr in the video really got me when he said: then you go home and infect your family. 😣😬😥

Definitely not what I wanted to hear. He's good though. I pray this all goes away quickly!! 

Just a tip, if you are thinking about buying disposable products like plates and cups etc. you might want to opt for paper over plastic or Styrofoam. Then reason is because you can burn them and keep your trash under control a little bit better. Styrofoam and plastic will add up pretty fast and fill up your trash bags fast too. And maybe start to smell and attract vermin. During a pandemic you won't want to be sharing eating utensils anyway. Take them out and burn them. 

At least that's what I did. Paper is cheaper too. 

I have plastic plate holders that I got decades ago. They make the paper plates more stable. They sort of look like a frisbee. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The paper products i was referring too are facial tissues, kitchen clean up towels and food serving napkins.

Went shopping this afternoon to Aldis, they had no flu, or cough meds on the shelves, just a few boxes of analgesic pain relief left and just a dozen boxes of facial tissues. There was no bleach or disinfectant on the shelves. A lot of people shopping for groceries, full baskets (but that could have been because a lot of people have been paid there wages).

i have been doing an itinary of easy cook foods in the freezer and cupboards, as my daughter needs easy foods if I am I'll she has a brain injury is epileptic and asthmatic, so I have had to simplify everything. I have also realised I need to put in prescription requests for us both.

watching sky news it is reporting 56million people are under lockdown, public transport has been closed in 18cities in China. 31 people have tested negatively on the U.K.. There is to be a second large hospital to be built in China as it is thought the 1000 bed hospital will not be enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'd say stock up now on the things you think you will need. The guy in the video talked about 'ordering in' using Amazon. He also said the virus can live up to five days on inanimate objects. Like on boxes? Not figuring in the people who package your goods and the delivery guy. Amazon has a two day delivery schedule. Virus can live five days. You do the math. 

And use 'door-dash' or Uber Eats... :0327:

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2