MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020 Corona Virus

I heard on our local radio station that a couple in their 80's, on that cruise ship in Japan, were coming back home. Then they got a knock on the door saying husband has tested positive for the virus. They rushed him to a Japanese hospital. She is coming back to the States without him. She will be in isolation some place (I forgot where they said) for 2 weeks then go home. To Ohio. Sigh. 

I wonder how they could be cooped up in one of those small inner cabins together all of this time and he comes down with the virus and she doesn't? 

Meanwhile, in Ohio we are getting hit hard with the regular flu. Up over 19% just from the past week. Over 1,000 people admitted to the hospital from Feb. 2-8 and over 5,500 hospitalized since last Sept. 28. Two pediatric deaths. Girls ages 11 and 16. They said Ohio doesn't track adult flu deaths. Perhaps they should. 

• Sad 2

Jeepers things are not looking good for the flu. Regular flu or otherwise. Panic will spread because people will not know which one they have. But at this point I think the Reg type of flu is what is mostly going around as I hope they have the coronavirus contained. 

USA Alerts state that the US Gov. is preparing for a coronavirus pandemic.  I am hoping and :pray: this does not turn into a pandemic. 

I am betting the wife comes down with the virus. She may not have shown any symptoms at the time she was checked. The regular flu, I think a nine year old died here in N. VA from it. She did not get the flu vac. I hate when I hear of children dying from the flu. 

• Sad 3

If you guys watch youtube  Agenda Free TV has been almost every day with coverage.  Gives accurate up to date information:

Here's today link that started half hour ago:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEQ9QTzyQ8U

Also Twitter is alive with news.  BNO Newsroom is an excellent source and updated news.  They are very reliable.

This is very scarey I don't think I've ever seen anything spread so fast.  It has me worried.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Katz, I have never heard of it. I will be checking it out.  We have everything but coveralls that we need if we must stay home. Hoping it doesn't come to that.  One of the things I found out about is a liquid cleaner and wipes.  It is called Oxivir Tb.  It is not cheap but worth it for keeping the spread down at home and even going to the store. I put some of the wipes in zip lock bag when I go to store to wipe the baskets and such down.  

Miki that changing of the timing of the symptoms is what is scary. How many people can be walking around and not know they have it and then infect others.  Wish I knew how this could be contained. But there are no clear answers to this. The only thing I can say at this point is to pray for protection from it and that it will not spread any further than it has. We must all keep our faith for the Lord to protect us. That is all we can really do other than to be as prepared as we can be and not go out other than when we must. No trips off anywhere we don't need to be going right now till this is contained. 

• Like 2

This is just a small section of a 16 page paper...

ACE2 Expression in Kidney and Testis May Cause Kidney and Testis Damage After 2019-nCoV Infection

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20022418v1.full.pdf

ACE2 (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2) has been shown to be one of the major receptors that mediate the entry of 2019-nCoV into human cells, which also happens in severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS). Several researches have indicated that some patients have abnormal renal function or even kidney damage in addition to injury in respiratory system, and the related mechanism is unknown. This arouses our interest in whether coronavirus infection will affect the urinary and male reproductive systems. Here in this study, we used the online datasets to analyze ACE2 expression in different human organs. The results indicate that ACE2 highly expresses in renal tubular cells, Leydig cells and cells in seminiferous ducts in testis. Therefore, virus might directly bind to such ACE2 positive cells and damage the kidney and testicular tissue of patients. Our results indicate that renal function evaluation and special care should be performed in 2019-nCoV patients during clinical work, because of the kidney damage caused by virus and antiviral drugs with certain renal toxicity. In addition, due to the potential pathogenicity of the virus to testicular tissues, clinicians should pay attention to the risk of testicular lesions in patients during hospitalization and later clinical follow-up, especially the assessment and appropriate intervention in young patients' fertility.

• Sad 4

Here is the BAD news we heard this morning.  Visitor from Japan [not China] went to Maui and then on to Oahu/Honolulu.  That's when he became feverish and was tested .....positive for COVID-19.  :pray:  :pray:  :pray:     Hope he didn't buy things for our kids' store.  

https://news.yahoo.com/japanese-man-visited-hawaii-confirmed-232559398.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_15

MtRider   :sigh: 

• Sad 2

Saw the vid on the homemade masks.  At first I'm thinking.....paper towels instead of N95 material????  But when I saw the layers.....and finally the shield......Yeah, agree with Ambergris.  WAAAY better than nothing.  The shield will stop most cough/sneeze projectiles. 

Two problems:

1.  If this thing goes truly airborne....floats in the air....you'd want to tighten up the inner mask as much as possible.  You'd want googles instead of merely glasses. 

2.   They need to show EXACTLY how to take that whole contraption off without infecting themselves!!  Assume other parts of face/body/clothing also has virus clinging to it.  All needs to be taken off and sanitized/disposed of....  and body washed with soap/water.  Save other cleaners for when a shower/bath is not possible.

And of course, as Ambergris said, the courtesy blue surgical masks [to protect others from YOUR germs] will be pretty useless.  I wore them to protect others from my illness ...esp. the doc. 

I'd hate to rely on paper towels and a Kleenex.  CAN you really breathe thru that?  But.......I like that shield made from the plastic of folders.  Inventive!  Perhaps Kappy's idea of "sneeze guards" isn't so outlandish .....  :rolleyes:  WHAT ELSE can we think to substitute......

But realize that using these things would be a risk.  Does anyone HAVE to go out and about enough to take that risk?  :sigh: 

MtRider  :behindsofa:   Blue Sofa Recluse technique .... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello! 

It turns out that a patient from the ship that was turned away from several ports before being allowed to dock in Cambodia had a sick passenger...

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3050814/coronavirus-us-passenger-westerdam-cruise-ship-infected

A United States

citizen who arrived in Malaysia after disembarking in Cambodia from the MS Westerdam cruise ship has tested positive for the new coronavirus, the Malaysian health ministry said on Saturday.”

• Sad 3

Another article regarding 9 new cases in Singapore, where a cluster involving parishioners of a local church provide evidence for sustained Human-to-Human transmission of the virus. It looks like Singapore is poised to develop their Own emergent outbreak of the COVID-19 virus. Definitely not good news for these poor people. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/coronavirus-covid-19-singapore-cases-grace-assembly-of-god--12434646

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2020/02/japanese-visitor-with-coronavirus-visited-maui/

THIS is how they're reporting about the Japanese tourist to Maui......  the one that left there 12 days ago.  Fever began just after he landed in Oahu.  

Anyone want to pick apart the politicians' statements?  :gaah:  

MtRider  ....one of the reasons we DON'T want to return to lovely Maui...  :pray:  

• Confused 1

:pray::pray::pray::pray:  That this gets under control before it gets any worse in the United States. Haven't heard yet of any more than the 15 confirmed cases here. But can we trust the government to tell the truth?  I don't really watch the news other than the local news but what little I do watch, not much has really been said about this. I'm with Mt. Rider. :behindsofa: Stay home behind the blue couch. :pray: for all those in all the other countries that they will recover from this.  Hoping and praying as well that a vac. can be found before this gets much worse. But that could take a good year to develop. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know that our school system wouldn’t shut down for two weeks just for prevention. It took an act of G-d to get them to shut down one day a couple of years ago when we had norovirus roll through. And they only did it because so many staff were getting sick as well. Too much lost ADA....
https://saigoneer.com/saigon-health/18327-vietnam-continues-nationwide-school-shutdown-due-to-covid-19

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I heard some where that a Japanese man was in Maui and stayed in a hotel and Lord only knows where else he had been. Turns out he was running a fever and sick. They are checking the roster at the hotel to see who was there at the time and checking on all of those people now. Have not heard anything more since. Hoping it was not the coronavirus. But nothing since then. If it is the coronavirus, it will spread and we will here more in about 2 or 3 weeks. Baring that rather it was true or not. 

Dogmom, I guess if 'they' can't kill us all off they will just sterilize us. At least the men anyway. Population control. 

Masks aren't going to last forever. Most places are sold out and the ones I saw on Amazon are on back order. So, if I HAD to go out then the paper towel mask would be better than nothing. Everything in life is a risk. If I had nothing then I'd take my chances with the paper towel mask over nothing at all. And make the trip as quickly as possible. 

I thought I already posted this and I came back and it's still in my reply box. Sometimes I forget to submit a post. If I already posted this...never mind.

• Like 4

Mt. Rider, I read about this but I can't remember where. Anyway, they were talking about if a virus got loose on Maui one of the biggest problems would be the lack of hospital care. Not only for the residents but also the many tourists. The article gave the ratio of hospitals and medical personnel compared to residents. They didn't even count the tousists. I guess island nations have their own set of issues with resources and getting supplies in? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Ambergris,  I didn't see Jeepers post when I posted the above. There have been pandemics over many years. But this one for some reason doesn't sit well.  Something in the wind smells.  How long has China been fighting with this virus before any other country new about it. People had been coming in and out of China long before the US or any other country new anything of this going on. Then all of a sudden this virus is out of control and the people coming into China and people leaving China are spreading it to other countries. Maybe I am just being paranoid. But it really doesn't sit well.  

• Sad 2

Repost:

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2020/02/japanese-visitor-with-coronavirus-visited-maui/

THIS is how they're reporting about the Japanese tourist to Maui......  the one that left there 12 days ago.  Fever began just after he landed in Oahu.  

Anyone want to pick apart the politicians' statements?  :gaah:    

MtRider  ....one of the reasons we DON'T want to return to lovely Maui...  :pray:  

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

He was diagnosed after he returned to Japan, I think.  So he's not on the islands anymore.  But.....WHAT did he leave behind?  I hate that the Maui mayor says there's no risk "because he wasn't showing symptoms."    With a fourteen day contagious WITHOUT symptoms.....[or maybe even 21 days before symptoms...]  Mayor is a lying snake.....about par for the course, unfortunately.  :tapfoot: 

Sooooooo my anxiety has gone up some.  :pray:  :pray:  :pray:  

MtRider  :yar:  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

If was diagnosed after he went back to Japan, then he has infected people in Maui from everyone he had contact with in the hotel he stayed at, where he may have gone out to eat, and anywhere he may have been shopping. Not to mention everyone on that plane.  Give it about 2 to 3 weeks and I think we will be hearing about people coming down with this virus. People touching door knobs or anything else he may have touched that other people went behind him and touched.  Bad situation,  :pray::pray::pray:  That no one gets sick.  Wonder if they will try to cover it up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1